Total War Developer Snags Warhammer

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Total War Developer Snags Warhammer

Only the fantasy Warhammer, not the space orks version, has gone to Creative Assembly.

Creative Assembly, makers of the Total War RTS series, has bagged the rights to fantasy Chaos-versus-suicidal-dwarves [http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gotrek_%26_Felix_%28novel_series%29] setting Warhammer. Creative Assembly and Sega have joined forces to work with Games Workshop in bringing its blood-and-thunder style to gamers everywhere.

"We'll be doing the Warhammer universe justice in a way that has never been attempted before," said Tim Heaton of Creative, going on to add that the developer will deliver "a Warhammer experience that videogamers will absolutely love." This is a multi-title deal so, while no actual games have been announced, you can take solace in the fact that it will be games and not game. As to when, sometime after 2013 is the most anyone was prepared to say.

"We have enormous respect for SEGA and Creative Assembly," said Jon Gillard of Games Workshop, "and have felt for a long time that the combination of the enormously rich setting of the Warhammer world, and their stunning development talent is a match with huge potential."

So, a match made in heaven then, but if you were wondering whether this meant big changes for the space orks, the answer is no. The Warhammer 40K science fiction variant of the franchise is still firmly within THQ's grasp.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-12-06-total-war-dev-announces-multi-game-warhammer-deal]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Awwwww YEAH!!!

I was just recently lamenting the sad lack of Warhammer Fantasy games and now the IP gets picked up by what is likely the single best dev for it! Warhammer Total War would be so freaking awesome. Heck, it's been done before with mods, now just imagine how much better it can be with actual production values behind it. I don't even care about Rome 2 now, I want this out now! :D

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
BEST. NEWS. EVER.

My god, this is amazing. There's tons of mods aiming to make a Warhammer version of Total War - and now I can't wait for the real thing. This is going to be so damn good.

All hail Creative Assembly.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Well, this might be interesting to see a Total War Warmhammer type game. Not a whole lot had been done with the Fantasy version of the game. Hopefully some screens or a video will pop up in the near future.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
This has me pretty damn excited. I would really like to see what a developer that does medieval warfare very well with vicious griffon named Deathclaw on the battlefield.

Akexi

May 15, 2008
dragongit said:
Well, this might be interesting to see a Total War Warmhammer type game. Not a whole lot had been done with the Fantasy version of the game. Hopefully some screens or a video will pop up in the near future.
Sadly, no one could. The license was tied down for that god-awful mmo, but now that Games Workshop wants to go back to you know, making money off their IP's, it's been handed over to a more capable developer.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
I see , see ... see.

A re-skinned Total War game sold for full price, with all the interesting units sold as add on DLC, oh and the blood and gore will be extra please.

... hey at least they may tack on some pointless MP thats open to abuse and grieving if your really unlucky.

This isnt Creative Assembly at fault though, Sega are scraping the barrel and desperate to hang on to any cash they can lay thier hands on so will DLC the crap out of it.
CA though will be force to release the game before its ready, patch in some features late and fix it post release... and CA doesnt do AI very well so expect to see Orks that are even more stupid than canon dictates, and cheating CPU opponents in the strategic (world) sections.

Smolderin

Feb 5, 2012
NO...FREAKING...WAY

Sorry...major nerdgasm here. But Creative Assembly is making a freaking Warhammer game!? OH MY GOD! This is like the best gaming news I had in months!I can think of no one better than to handle the franchise...and maybe if were lucky..they will do Warhammer 40k. One can only hope. I cannot wait for this game!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Does this mean that EA lost the rights to Warhammer Fantasy? YES! That alone is reason enough to celebrate.

Anyone else here played Call of Warhammer, or it's sequel Rage of the Dark Gods? Fantastic Medieval 2 Total War mods. Now it's just official.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
TCA haven't said any of the titles will be Total War style strategy games... for all we know they're slated to shit out a bunch of warhammer fantasy flavoured versions of Spartan: Total Warrior.

Any other parades I can piss on?

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
TCA haven't said any of the titles will be Total War style strategy games... for all we know they're slated to shit out a bunch of warhammer fantasy flavoured versions of Spartan: Total Warrior.

I'm hoping the guys at Creative Assembly haven't had the massive kind of head trauma that would cause them to do that.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go and change my underwear.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:

Well, you're hardly tinkling, it's more like slight incontinence on your part... :p

As far as I know, Spartan: Total Warrior was a failure in every way possible, so it's highly unlikely they'll be doing anything like that again. On the other hand, TCA can do one game type and one game type only, and they've gotten pretty good at it over the years. Total War games sell, are praised by critics and gamers alike and have been getting better and better over time. So while what you suggest is in the realm of possibility, I find the 2012 apocalypse more likely. ;)

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I can't help but feel that Creative Assembly is selling themselves short by not continuing to concentrate on developing and marketing their own intellectual property. The license fees to WHFB probably didn't come cheap, but more importantly than that there really is no guarantee of keeping the contract when it comes up for renegotiation if they succeed in turning the fortunes of the brand around when it comes to video games.

Still, I'm excited to see what they'll churn out now that they have the license.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Jandau said:
As far as I know, Spartan: Total Warrior was a failure in every way possible, so it's highly unlikely they'll be doing anything like that again.
Thing is though, even though Spartan Warrior failed, they still tried their luck with that viking game. And we all know how that went. Or, some of us do, since nobody knows that game even exists because nobody bought it.

NortherWolf

Jun 26, 2008
Th-this? This is real?
The company I've wanted to make a Warhammer game for years now will?
TAKE MY GODDAMN MONEY YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARDS!