Total War game recommendation

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
I've always wanted to play a Total War game as they seems like I would really enjoy them but there are so many now that I don't know which one to get.

So my question is: which Total War game should I get and why?

Thanks

Sakaiyuji

Aug 30, 2009
They're generally the same across the board, but Rome was my personal favorite. Get whichever historical subject interests you the most.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
They're all pretty good, but my advice is Rome - the modding community is amazing. There's multiple mods that allow insane degrees of realism and detail, and the engine is pretty solid. Bonus: you should be able to run it on max settings with any computer made remotely recently. Or if you like LOTR, there's a mod out for Medieval 2 along those lines that is pretty good.

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
Medieval II

After the patches and expansions the game is actually really solid. You can get it for almost zero money and there's a pile of high quality fan made mods. I recommend getting the physical version of the game as opposed to the steam version. The steam version is annoying to mod. Med II also seems to have the best "flavour." It has jihads, crusades, timurids (those crazy bastards put cannons on elephants) and mongols.

I recommend a quick game as one of the catholic factions to get a feel for the game and then crank the difficulty and play a full game as Turkey. You'll have the crusades to deal with, and by the time you finish mopping up the mongols will come.

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
Rome, get Rome. It has all the heart and spirit that the game should have to keep you interested.

Medieval 2 is a close second.

I could never play the first Shogun, but the second is really good as well. So it'll be third :p

...Don't even care about Empire or Napoleon.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
I'd suggest Rome first. Medieval 2 has better mechanics, but Rome is easier to get into and has a wider variety in its factions. It's a good introduction to the Total War series. The biggest issue with Rome is that the game will punish you if you're not constantly on the offensive. Your economy will stagnate and your people will become unhappy and revolt. In late game, you'll often find yourself slaughtering your own cities to keep them in line. Also, pirates. You will hate pirates so much after playing Rome. It's partly the reason I like to invest in temples to Neptune.

Empire and Napoleon especially are quite different. I haven't tried the new Shogun yet except for a demo.

My personal favorite in Medieval 2. Milan is the best. Don't let the dirty Venetians try to convince you otherwise.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Rome or Medieval II are the best places to start and they're dirt-cheap on steam.

Midnight Crossroads said:
My personal favorite in Medieval 2. Milan is the best. Don't let the dirty Venetians try to convince you otherwise.
D:<

How dare you besmirch the great Serenissima's name! It is on now Brony. ;D

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
I vote Medieval 2. Fantastic game, cheap as hell, with plenty of campaigns and great mods.

It also looks a lot better than Rome IMO.

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
Dulcinea said:
oplinger said:
Yeeeaaaah.

Those two are like the step-children no one talks about.
Wah? Napoleon's fantastic, the simple Cavalry, Artillery, Infantry set up means there's no super-units dominating everything (See; General's Bodyguard in Med II). Empire on the other hand...

irani_che

Jan 28, 2010
A Weary Exile said:
Dulcinea said:
oplinger said:
Yeeeaaaah.

Wah? Napoleon's fantastic, the simple Cavalry, Artillery, Infantry set up means there's no super-units dominating everything (See; General's Bodyguard in Med II). Empire on the other hand...
it is a great game but they overcpmlicated alot of things, esp. the economy. Also the guns kinda take some of the fun out of the battles

A Weary Exile

Aug 24, 2009
irani_che said:
A Weary Exile said:
Dulcinea said:
oplinger said:
Yeeeaaaah.

it is a great game but they overcpmlicated alot of things, esp. the economy. Also the guns kinda take some of the fun out of the battles
The economy is too complicated? It's pretty basic: Total region wealth is determined by factors like mines, farms, vineyards, etc. and the tax rate determines how much you get from the total region wealth. I also prefer the blanket tax system for some reason, don't know why but it just gives more a of realism feel that helps with immersion.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Shogun 2 - It's fairly easy on the newcomers.

Medieveal 2 - It's the best one.

Medieval 1 and Rome are good, but quite dated at this point, Shogun 1 is a relic. Empire is just bad and you should probably steer clear unless you're really keen on the historical period.

Belvadier

May 17, 2009
Hmmm...seems like I would probably enjoy Medieval 2 or Shogun 2 best. Shogun 2 looks so much prettier than Medieval 2 but I don't think it looks $40 prettier right now =P

Probably gonna go with Medieval 2...thanks for all the help!

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
Hearts of Iron 2...

Just to be original. If you need to play a Total War game though (which you should, they're awesome) then Rome is my favourite.