Totalbiscuit, Husky, and Pewdiepie are all going to be owned by Disney.

Pingrash

Mar 30, 2008
From what I can gather this will have no effect on the Youtuber's channels.
Here is PewDiePie's response to this - http://pewdie.tumblr.com/post/80815345191/im-really-not-a-fan-of-giving-updates-like-these-but

Disturbed-Hell

Shas'la
Mar 18, 2010
Hero in a half shell said:
So Totalbiscuit is a Disney Princess?

We need artwork of that NOW!
Actually, there was art of that from before the buyout thanks to his (albeit unwilling) playthrough of Long Live the Queen:

forgo911

Feb 26, 2014
"Game Over Man, Game over!" some clip I've seen somewhere, probably on the Nostalgia critic

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Disturbed-Hell said:
Hero in a half shell said:
So Totalbiscuit is a Disney Princess?

We need artwork of that NOW!
Actually, there was art of that from before the buyout thanks to his (albeit unwilling) playthrough of Long Live the Queen:
Not to mention him becoming a princess for big parts of this Co-optional Podcast animation. Incidentally still talking about Love Live The Queen.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
So what? What is disney but something that seeks to get as much money as possible? They are all the same, when money is the goal, nothing is sacred, nothing else matters.

Money is a fruitless goal, it bears its own reward but then its value is lost when you realize its just another material thing that we've designed to give us drive in life.

Money is not the meaning of life, nor the attaining of it. Nothing will ever really be gained. Long before you and I existed, kingdoms rose and fell in the pursuit of wealth. Where are they now? A distant memory, if remembered at all.

A fruitless way to spend ones life, and a shame.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
Do remember this. Disney also owns Marvel. They have for a while now...

And yet have you ever read Deadpool Max...or really any of the Max comics? Just because something is owned by Disney doesn't mean they're going to completely censor the thing that they're buying. Disney isn't (entirely) stupid. They know why people watch this stuff.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing. They are partnered with Polaris (iirc even Jim Sterling is), not its employees. At least the more popular of them really can't be influenced by that and for less popular ones it opens new opportunities to "sell out" (Jesse Cox loves that), also known as simple promotional deals that Polaris has always been very open about in the past and as far as I see have not hurt their integrity with shady deals.

If Disney supports them, it can be a great thing with Star Wars movies and games coming out in the future. For example they made a (boring but peculiar) Pacific Rim special.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
They of bought my country. Is not too of bad. Streets clean, food is good. Only thing I am of hesitant is the muzac broadcast day and night.

Glory to Trans-Disnystria.

Jeremy Meadows

Mar 10, 2011
Never cared for any of those peoples stuff so it's not that big of a deal. What worries me more is that pace that these independent content creators are getting bought by companies or getting bribed by companies to speak favorably of them without them actually being a sponsor of the show. Just makes it even harder for people to actually believe anything anymore.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
Well, I suppose this means that they'll be protected more; I imagine TB is quite happy about this; now he won't have constant annoyances from cheap lawyers trying to close his channel.

I am also rather worried by this; although I sometimes enjoy one of these people, hope the other dies in a tar pit, and haven't heard of the other one, I bet they'll be changing very radically. TB in particular.

WarpedLord

Mar 11, 2009
Sniper Team 4 said:
So...can we just give the keys of the world to Disney now and call it a day? Because they seriously own everything now it seems. Star Wars. The internet. Marvel. Er...Disney, I guess? So yeah, all they need to do is buy up the manga/anime market and they own everything I care about. And they're not exactly doing a bad job, although Star Wars remains to be seen.
Only if we can get those keys away from Amazon, I guess.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
This is actually good for them. The problem with Youtube and the copy right trolls has always been that the little guy just can't compete with these big corporations who's very expensive lawyers can just push you around. You can't outspend them, so they had to basically submit.
Now the House of Mouse can pinch hit for them in the courtroom, and they get all their expensive lawyers to boot.

GoGoFrenzy

Mar 13, 2012
I hope it means nothing but good news to them. Crossing fingers that no attempts on content control occur.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory/disney-buy-youtube-video-producer-maker-studios-23047351

All these guys, and more are part of the Polaris "youtube network." Polaris is the gaming arm of Studio Maker network, which includes a lot of other channels (such as Epic Rap Battles of History).

Studio Maker will be bought by Disney for at least $500 MILLION dollars. They will also get $450 million dollars bonus if they meet some "performance targets" (which shouldn't be that hard, since all of Studio Maker's channels get 5.5 BILLION views a month).

So, yeah, loads of people who makes tons of money by swearing a lot are going to be owned by the house of mouse.

I would be worried, if it wasn't for Disney's hands off approach to Marvel. They should understand that Pewdiepie would lose all his subscribers overnight if he couldn't say anything stronger than "darn" and had to play Disney Infinite all day.

Thoughts?
None of those channels are owned by Maker Studios. They're just partnered with Makers' networks.
They can do whatever the hell they want.

Win32error

Jul 18, 2011
Well, i don't know too much about these things. But I suspect that Polaris doesn't actually have very much power of the youtube channels it owns. Sure, they might have some say on the channels, but I doubt they have heavy influence on what the channels do, as long as it's within the boundaries of the law. It'd be weird if youtubers allowed a company to actually have a big say in what they make and do.

Khanht Cope

Jul 22, 2011
Brian Tams said:
This is actually good for them. The problem with Youtube and the copy right trolls has always been that the little guy just can't compete with these big corporations who's very expensive lawyers can just push you around. You can't outspend them, so they had to basically submit.
Now the House of Mouse can pinch hit for them in the courtroom, and they get all their expensive lawyers to boot.
But it's still another step that helps separate the social elite from the common joe even further.

TheHeinousAnus

Dec 16, 2013
The networks have no control over the content produced themselves. And if they try to impose control the content makers will go else, which would make the network worth less.

I personally find it funny that these people can now identify themselves as 'Disney Princesses'

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
TotalBiscuit actually put his thoughts on the acquisition on soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/maker-studios-acquired-by

Sounds like if they mess with his stuff too much he's just ready to bounce off the network.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Khanht Cope said:
But it's still another step that helps separate the social elite from the common joe even further.
I think that step was realized the moment the masses became reliant upon mass-streaming services hosted by a multi-billion dollar company.