TotalBiscuit says Microsoft won E3

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
inu-kun said:
Haven't watched the video yet, but from what's being said, aren't consoles far more consumer friendly the PC gaming? It's a single, not so big investment once every few (4-5) years rather then an extremely expensive one every 2-3 years. Require no technical knowledge and already optimized for the machine.
I'd say PC's are more consumer friendly, given they are more flexible, and provide the user more freedom to do things like they want to do, rather than how the dev wanted. And I'm not even talking about mods, but peripherals.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Fox12 said:
trunkage said:
Fox12 said:
Microsoft is easily the most anti-consumer company out there. Not just in gaming, either. If they're acting pro-consumer now, it's because they got spanked. The moment they're back on top they'll go back to their old ways. Microsoft has yet to prove to me that they care about the consumer when the chips are down.
Yep

It's called capitalism. MS got the feedback that they weren't doing a good job so they are changing. Once finished this change, they won't bother until someone else competes with them. That's the very essence of capitalism.
At least they aren't like some other companies who were/are losing who lobby the government to change the rules to keep others out.
Nah, I think it's a lot deeper then that. Sony, Valve, and Nintendo do some shady things too, but they're all infinitely more pro-consumer then Microsoft. Even when all were on top, and were in a position to flex their muscles, they were better then Microsoft. The reality is that they all have unique corporate cultures, and that Microsofts is the most domineering and anti-consumer.
I'm not disagreeing with you. What I'm trying to point out that if MS is a 0.1 out of 5, Sony would be at best 0.5

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
inu-kun said:
MrFalconfly said:
inu-kun said:
Haven't watched the video yet, but from what's being said, aren't consoles far more consumer friendly the PC gaming? It's a single, not so big investment once every few (4-5) years rather then an extremely expensive one every 2-3 years. Require no technical knowledge and already optimized for the machine.
I'd say PC's are more consumer friendly, given they are more flexible, and provide the user more freedom to do things like they want to do, rather than how the dev wanted. And I'm not even talking about mods, but peripherals.
But the question is what's the precentage who will actually enjoy the freedom, plus what does it mean "do things like they want to do, rather than how the dev wanted"
I'd say that, so long as that percentage is above zero, it's worth it to actually provide that freedom.

And openly antagonizing people who want that freedom (by making products always online, or otherwise blocking off mods and possible peripheral control inputs) is definitively anti-consumer.

As for "do things like they want to do, rather than how the dev wanted".

If I buy a product, what right does the dev have to dictate how I choose to modify it?

Ace Combat is a pretty good example.

It's a mostly console exclusive Flight Game, which means if I want to play it, I'm basically forced to play it with a gamepad, and the dev may indeed have intended for me to play it with a gamepad, but what if I wanted to play it with a proper flight stick?

On a PC, that'd be as simple as plugging in my Logitech Extreme 3D stick, fiddle a bit with some control settings, and that's it. But Ace Combat is on consoles which doesn't give me that freedom. This example was why I generally ranked Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. higher than Ace Combat, because H.A.W.X. didn't force me to play with a gamepad or a keyboard. I could play that with a stick. Not to mention, I could mod it to include any aircraft which the devs may have neglected, provided that another aeronautics nut like me with greater 3D modelling skills had made a mod like that.

EDIT:
inu-kun said:
I don't know, just buying a top of the line graphics card seems to cost 3/4 as much as a PS4.
Who says you need top of the line gear?

You just need gear that can do the job (which instantly causes the price to drop drastically).

LonePunman

Jan 3, 2016
I go along with the popular opinion on this one - both Msoft and Sony had good "conferences", but Sony's was leaner, meaner, and classier, even if only by a small margin.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
inu-kun said:
CaitSeith said:
inu-kun said:
"Extremely expensive one every 2-3 years..."

Tip: don't trust everything the Internet says. Unlike consoles, you don't have to buy a brand new PC every time. Instead you spend in a new individual component when it's needed (and if you're smart, you resell the old one).
I don't know, just buying a top of the line graphics card seems to cost 3/4 as much as a PS4.
Which are already more powerful than the one in a PS4 (cards with the same power are cheaper), which gives them a longer lifespan than the later. And when time comes to buy the next gen console, you have to keep your old one or you'll never be able to play your old games again. Meanwhile, even PCs with top of the line components can run easily games that are decades old (except if they have a shitty DRM like Microsoft's past attempt of making PC games more console-like: Games for Windows Live).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
That doesn't seem to be the prevailing opinion...

Yes, but GameFAQs has a pro-Nintendo Sony bias, obv.

...sorry, couldn't resist. Posted there for years and saw years of people complaining that the site had a bias for [person/group/company/game that won]. Never gets old.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Something Amyss said:
Fox12 said:
Microsoft is easily the most anti-consumer company out there.
Honestly, I suspect that's why said YouTube personality thinks Microsoft won.
Does totalbiscuit have a reputation for supporting anti-consumer practices? I haven't heard that before, since I don't really follow him.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Something Amyss said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
That doesn't seem to be the prevailing opinion...

Yes, but GameFAQs has a pro-Nintendo Sony bias, obv.

...sorry, couldn't resist. Posted there for years and saw years of people complaining that the site had a bias for [person/group/company/game that won]. Never gets old.
I've found it pretty balanced for the most part. Because then you have this.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fox12 said:
Does totalbiscuit have a reputation for supporting anti-consumer practices? I haven't heard that before, since I don't really follow him.
I find the internet personality in question to be largely pro-corporate unless it impacts him or he can use it to attack a personal bugbear. But even that aside, he spends a lot of time telling his audience how policies that seem anti-consumer are really totes pro-consumer.

Because somehow, monopolies and mega-conglomorates are going to get us better games...hey, I hear EA now owns all the rights to make Star Wars games! I'm sure nothing bad could come of that...

...well, I hear Overwatch is fun, at least.

Johnny Novgorod said:

Yes, but you see, that's because the site has a pro-SonyNintendo bias.

No, actually, that was a pretty good example of what I meant. One day, Mario might win a poll and people would be outraged at the Nintendo bias. Then maybe the PS1 would win the "best library" thing and suddenly GameFAQs is teh bias towards sony. Then maybe the next Halo would be the most anticipated exclusive FPS and the site was full of Xbots!

...probably had to be there. >.>

(TBH, actually a little surprised the numbers are that low on Battlefield 1. Not that I think Zelda deserves to lose, but after the internet did a slow clap for the trailer, I'd have thought more people would be HYPED)

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Michael Prymula said:
Fox12 said:
trunkage said:
Fox12 said:
Microsoft is easily the most anti-consumer company out there. Not just in gaming, either. If they're acting pro-consumer now, it's because they got spanked. The moment they're back on top they'll go back to their old ways. Microsoft has yet to prove to me that they care about the consumer when the chips are down.
Yep

It's called capitalism. MS got the feedback that they weren't doing a good job so they are changing. Once finished this change, they won't bother until someone else competes with them. That's the very essence of capitalism.
At least they aren't like some other companies who were/are losing who lobby the government to change the rules to keep others out.
Nah, I think it's a lot deeper then that. Sony, Valve, and Nintendo do some shady things too, but they're all infinitely more pro-consumer then Microsoft. Even when all were on top, and were in a position to flex their muscles, they were better then Microsoft. The reality is that they all have unique corporate cultures, and that Microsofts is the most domineering and anti-consumer.
Jandau said:
First of all, just to make it clear, I'm a regular viewer of TB's content, I enjoy his work and consider him one of the more reliable reviewers/pundits in gaming. I agree with him on most points, and generally am neutral on most of his other stuff. However, I can't agree on this one.

Don't get me wrong, he argued it all quite eloquently in his video. Those are all solid arguments. However, they are predicated on an assumption that goes contrary to empirical data. That assumption is that Microsoft isn't a lying piece of garbage. Which it is. MS has been swearing that it's coming back to PC for a decade now, and it never does. At most, it tosses a port or two our way, often in a garbage condition. And it's trying to lock down PC gaming in a most unpleasant way.

As for its multiplatform releases, I just have two words for you: Quantum Break. Yeah.

Basically, MS has been shitting on PC gaming for many many years, and its practices were horribly anti-consumer. I don't buy this schtick of theirs for a minute. They are being shit on by Sony and they know it, so they're grasping at straws. They talked a bunch of guff and basically said very little. Meanwhile, Sony came in, whipped out their massive metaphorical dick made of awesome games, slammed it on the table and just said "Look at it". And it was beautiful.

So, to me, Sony "won" in as much as anyone can "win" E3, and this is coming from a PC-only gamer who knows he'll likely never get to play most of the awesome shit they showed off...
Sony didn't answer Microsoft at all, which made them look scared and pathetic.
anthony87 said:
Kibeth41 said:
So why is it suddenly negative when an optional microtransaction system is also included?
Because Jim Sterling doesn't like them.

Amiibos are fine though apparently.
Jim actually doesn't like Amiibos anymore, he got sick of them last year when they started becoming more DLC like:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-orx_HTfE
I'm lost. What exactly did Sony not answer?
Something Amyss said:
Fox12 said:
I find the internet personality in question to be largely pro-corporate unless it impacts him or he can use it to attack a personal bugbear. But even that aside, he spends a lot of time telling his audience how policies that seem anti-consumer are really totes pro-consumer.

Because somehow, monopolies and mega-conglomorates are going to get us better games...hey, I hear EA now owns all the rights to make Star Wars games! I'm sure nothing bad could come of that...

...well, I hear Overwatch is fun, at least.

Johnny Novgorod said:

Yes, but you see, that's because the site has a pro-SonyNintendo bias.

No, actually, that was a pretty good example of what I meant. One day, Mario might win a poll and people would be outraged at the Nintendo bias. Then maybe the PS1 would win the "best library" thing and suddenly GameFAQs is teh bias towards sony. Then maybe the next Halo would be the most anticipated exclusive FPS and the site was full of Xbots!

...probably had to be there. >.>

(TBH, actually a little surprised the numbers are that low on Battlefield 1. Not that I think Zelda deserves to lose, but after the internet did a slow clap for the trailer, I'd have thought more people would be HYPED)
That makes sense. I was a little put off when Microsoft was described as pro-consumer. I can get how someone would think that if they only paid attention to the surface details, but if you look a little deeper then you realize that Microsoft is still Microsoft. Microsoft is supporting cross platform play, and wants to support PC gaming? Great! Until you realize that they're obsessed with DRM, want an anti-consumer PC monopoly, and have zero interest in improving their customer service in the PC market. Why be pro-consumer when you can just strong arm everyone? Thanks, but I'll take... Literally anyone else in the gaming market.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Who the fuck cares? No matter who wins, once we buy into the hype, we all lose.

Larry Xiong

Sep 19, 2007
between Microsoft and Sony conferences i say this yearE3 unfair for Sony because Microsoft got 2 hours conference and Sony only get 1 hours

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
There's a running joke that I hear about E3 (to the point there's drinking games and my friend makes a bingo card - it filled out this year) where it'll be everything BUT games.

I dunno about other people, but when they get up on stage and start showing social stuff or streaming or movies or whatever my eyes glaze over. That or they announce a game and it's all pre-rendered cinematics.

I can't even tell you my surprise when I saw Sony's conference begin and end with gameplay footage. Perhaps very safe, very deliberate gameplay footage, but we still got gameplay and quite a bit of it.

For a brief glimmer of a moment it felt like it was about video games, that's why I enjoyed the Sony conference, even if none of the new games excited me.

Happy we got a Last Guardian release date though