Toys R Us is now closing all buisness.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
Samtemdo8 said:
Cold Shiny said:
*smokes pipe* See, what we have here is a failure to shift one's paradigm to align with modern industry trends.
Is it even a trend at this point?

Its the norm now.
It was a trend. And Toys-R-Us failed to acknowledge the trend when it mattered. Now that it's the norm, they're 30 kilometers deep into the hole they dug themselves.

I can't say I really have many fond memories of the stores. My parents didn't buy me that many toys and when they did, there were always cheaper options.

Ironman126

Dark DM Overlord
Apr 7, 2010
fix-the-spade said:
The owners of Toy R Us bought it in 2005 (it was publicly traded at the time and they delisted) then proceded to 'restructure' the company's finances with $6billion of high interest debts.

For all the talk of missing the online boat (which they did) increased competition (which is true) the real reason Toys R Us has gone bankrupt is because it was paying $400 million ($400'000'000) per year just in the interest on it's colossal debt, not counting the actual repayments.

It's how a company with $12billion in sales per year can make a loss of $120million five years in a row, someone somewhere has made and absolute killing out of Toy R Us and it's owners have found a way to write off huge debts they wracked up elsewhere. How that's legal is beyond me, but it is.
You raise an excellent point. Hastings Entertainment (known for Tradesmart) did the exact same thing and folded a year ago. It's almost like corporate mismanagement is a larger threat than the internet.

Also, Brexit jacking the price of everything up overnight hasn't helped, it's pushing dozen of companies that were marginal over the cliff.
Ha! Brexit. Sucks to be Brit - Huh? NAFTA what? Withdrawal? Oh. That's what that's gonna be like.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Closing down sale My Little Pony toy binge intensifies....

As per the actual dilemma facing the company, retail toy companiesaren't failing. They've diversified their portfolios and supplies.

Actually speaking ofMy Little Pony stuff, I've foundstuff cheaper in physical stores than on Amazon, even without calculating shipping. Selling stuff like the DJ-Pon3 GoH series for like 70 USD. But you can find it elsewhere, even physical retail stores, for a third that.

https://www.amazon.com/My-Little-Pony-Guardians-Sculpture/dp/B01CW6E8FW

http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=108360316&foreSeeBrowseSampling=15&foreSeeBrowseLoyalty=1&foreSeeEnabled=true

Toys have evolved, and there's very much a place for the good ol' fashioned toy store as market performance elsewhere seems to suggest. It's just the service and ange of products that would otherwise attract buyers like myself looking for a variety of 'toy' products wasn't there to draw in total possible customers.

After all, the toy stores that seem to be thriving have diversified into board games, often running tournaments, model train displays, etc. Physical retail has a place. Namely because what people fail to understand that individual shipping is not going to get much cheaper. So there is a place for bulkshipping warehousing to storefront consumption.

Particularly as manufacturing and production gets cheaper, but shipping won't ever get over that hump.

It's like evolution. If you can see obvious niches, you can occupy them and thrive. And there is a definite niche to be had in warehouse-direct customer service. You just need to retool the maths to make it work and play on the fact that people don't simply get what they want, but find other stuff to sink money into on impulse buying. That's the sweet spot.

The problem is Toys'R'Us failed to do the homework or do the legwork or organising necessary events to draw in as large a customer base as they could.

The problem with T'R'U wasn't that retail is somehow dead, it's that they lacked the total means to diversify their services to what customers want right now to encourage and diversify impulse buying opportunities. And that's the problem with franchises. Very, very, very hard to diversify once you have that uniformity and massive international presence within the capitalist sphere.

Like McDonalds, for instance. Once probably the symbol of hyperconsumerism on the world stage... 21st Century hasn't been treating them too well. The very poster child of global Western capitalism down to, now, an archaic mess that individually have trouble competing with even independent fast food stores that cater to a niche and just do it well.

And don't take my word for it ....the CEO of Toys 'R' Us agrees with me. Saying as much in one of his company directives where he spoke directly of failing to understand the modern toy consumer and what customers want to maximize store consumption and access to new consumers. Because I tell you what, if I could pick up some Netrunner datapacks or L5R stuff, tear them open, play some friendlies there with other gamers, while also satiating the My Little Pony fix for half as much as Amazon is selling it for .... Toys 'R' Us would be a great fortnightly spot for me to spend money.

But tht's kind of the problem. A moderately sized store can manage that mobility of service. And people will come from 20-30 miles around to play.

A massive, already established franchise can't.

Hell, bookstores. Making a come back. Even as you get bigf chain bookstores falling apart. Independent bookstores are getting creative, and actually make a buck out of it. If you can't make physical toys work, it's more about the drivers of economic activity you have in your store ... not about what you're actually selling.

There's a fantastic adage in retail; "It's not about what customers want to buy, it's about how you make them tear open their wallets."

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Redlin5 said:
Zellers, ironically, was where most of my childhood toys ended up being picked up from.
And now the guys who replaced Zellers are gone too. Of the two I used to go by, one's a liquidation store and the other just isn't being used by anything.

On topic, October to December 2016 I was working at one part time, restocking the Sports section during nights (and inevitably doing the boys as well because the guys doing that where lazy). I don't care what the hardest core Star Wars fans want to tell themselves, the toys do not move, kids just don't want Disney era toys of it. And that's not a case of kids not wanting toys, there was plenty of stuff in the boys section that was moving.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
And there goes another piece of my childhood.

Have a lot of fond memories of window shopping especially around Christmas time when I was making my Christmas list. Spent a lot of time playing the video game demos as well.

Oh well, time marches on I guess.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
My memory may be faulty, but wasn't T'R'U really overpriced?
Not super overpriced, but yeah, still overpriced by a couple of bucks per item.

Listen peoples, you can't just make a blanket statement of "It's Amazon's fault" or whatever. Amazon is still full of 3rd party resellers willing to use the site as another makeshift eBay, only with higher standards for entry. Granted, the toys sold directly by Amazon were usually sold at lower prices but Toys R Us usually had higher prices than everyone, period.

Toys R Us did a pretty good job of shutting itself down, competition or not. The store nearest to me looks exactly the same as when I was a kid. The same vomit-colored industrial shelving and a dirty linoleum floor. Employee turnover was constant; I'd heard from employees that they rarely got 20 hours a week. Not to mention the oversaturation. Where I live there are four Toys R Us locations in a 10-mile area.

Pricing for certain items was simply baffling. Back in the days of the original Xbox, TRU decided to unload all of their Xbox DVD remote kits at $0.78 each when everyone else was still selling for the full retail price of $19.99. I remember picking up a copy of the game Advent Rising at my location for $5 in a discount bin when Gamestop was willing to pay $15 for used copies from customers. It was the same for Kingdom Under Fire Heroes. I got my copy at TRU for $10, played it, and sold it for a profit to Gamestop at $18.

And fix-the-spade is right:
fix-the-spade said:
The owners of Toy R Us bought it in 2005 (it was publicly traded at the time and they delisted) then proceded to 'restructure' the company's finances with $6billion of high interest debts.

For all the talk of missing the online boat (which they did) increased competition (which is true) the real reason Toys R Us has gone bankrupt is because it was paying $400 million ($400'000'000) per year just in the interest on it's colossal debt, not counting the actual repayments.

It's how a company with $12billion in sales per year can make a loss of $120million five years in a row, someone somewhere has made and absolute killing out of Toy R Us and it's owners have found a way to write off huge debts they wracked up elsewhere. How that's legal is beyond me, but it is.

Maplin on the other hand has legitimately gone tits up. Just like Comet nobody is really interested in paying over the odds for electronics and computer hardware anymore. They had no chance of competing with Scan and OCUK for PC stuff and no hope against Amazon for everything else. Also, Brexit jacking the price of everything up overnight hasn't helped, it's pushing dozen of companies that were marginal over the cliff.

It saddens me that Toys R Us is shutting down. Like seriously depressing. It's too bad that they competed with places like Walmart by paying for exclusive deals like Transformers. They were selling certain Masterpiece Transformers at $75 to people who would resell on eBay for easily twice that price.

It's the end of an era that spans multiple generations. It will be sorely missed.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
Nearest one was 2 hours drive, so not THAT big a part of my childhood, but I was familiar enough with it. Circus World and Kay-Bee was closer.

Hell, I think I went there more as a grown up than I ever did as a kid. Surprising how many board games I found there I enjoyed.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I remember looking around a lot as a kid.

Was never wealthy enough to 'just by something', so this is a much less impact heavy thing for me.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
We can thank vulture capitalism for this one. Remember Bain Capital? Mitt Romney's company? It was one of companies that bought up Toys R Us back in 2006- and they then saddled the company with nearly the entirety of that debt, five and a half BILLION dollars. TRU couldn't do much to update, expand or compete online because they had to service that debt.

And just to illustrate the point, iHeartRadio and Guitar Center- two other Bain Capital acquisitions- are going bankrupt too. That's what vulture capitalists do: Buy out companies, stick all the debt on them, then pocket the profits if they manage to survive or just walk away if they don't.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
Redlin5 said:
They weren't the most affordable joint in my neck of the woods, my parents as a kid tended to go there with me veeeery rarely. Zellers, ironically, was where most of my childhood toys ended up being picked up from.
Ah, fellow Canadian.

Also mainly a Zellers goer. Didn't even get a Toys r' Us at the nearest mall til it was well past my age group (since they didn't sell videogames for ages and ages, and even once they did, were pretty subpar at it).

As was mentioned above in more detail though. They bumbled a fair bit, but what killed them was being used as collateral by a venture capitalist group, essentially. They would've taken a huge hit in the early mid oughts, and shrunk substantially, but might've bounced back without the albatross of Bain Capital's leveraged debt around their neck.

Vanilla ISIS

Dec 14, 2015
The Rogue Wolf said:
We can thank vulture capitalism for this one. Remember Bain Capital? Mitt Romney's company? It was one of companies that bought up Toys R Us back in 2006- and they then saddled the company with nearly the entirety of that debt, five and a half BILLION dollars. TRU couldn't do much to update, expand or compete online because they had to service that debt.

And just to illustrate the point, iHeartRadio and Guitar Center- two other Bain Capital acquisitions- are going bankrupt too. That's what vulture capitalists do: Buy out companies, stick all the debt on them, then pocket the profits if they manage to survive or just walk away if they don't.
Good thing he didn't become the US president then.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
The Rogue Wolf said:
Bain capital's business model is lifted directly from a typical mafia business tactic. Serious as a heart attack, pisanos used to call that a "burn out".

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
fix-the-spade said:

I was going to say this exactly. Toys R Us is still plenty profitable, and its death is entirely due to predatory management. It's infuriating.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Kotaro said:
fix-the-spade said:

I was going to say this exactly. Toys R Us is still plenty profitable, and its death is entirely due to predatory management. It's infuriating.
Yep. 31,000 people are losing their jobs. Good one, job creators we just gave a tax break to. Really making capitalism look attractive.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I?m no backwoods, anti-technology curmudgeon that fawns for the ?good ol? days,? neither am I the cynically callous ?know-it-all? that shrugs this off as the inevitable, but somewhere in the middle, I AM sad to hear about this. Pragmatically, yes, bad business decisions were made, but that doesn?t paint the hard, emotionless mechanisms of today in any brighter a light.

The internet has served us convenience at the expense of experience. E.g.: my girlfriend?s son got a new Nerf gun last year. It was delivered by a guy in a brown uniform who couldn?t be bothered to wait 4 seconds after his brash, authoritative ?3 knock? routine before dumping the crumpled, brown box unceremoniously at the doorstep and jumping into his equally brown and crumpled van and speeding away. Way to delivery happiness, Internet. In MY day, buying that same gun would have been an adventure! The aisle with the Nerf guns was a veritable world of possibilities that seemed to stretch on forever, and I could touch it all, smell it all, taste? well, not ?taste?, but you get the gist.

The cold, besmudged flat screens we swipe through nowadays with the same emotional investment one would a months old periodical in a waiting room have replaced the simple pleasures in life, the simple pleasures like seeing a kid?s face light up at the sight of Geoffrey the Giraffe as he ushers them in to a place like no other, where bright, glossy colors, the smell of new plastic, noise and happiness were de rigueur. I feel sorry for those who did/will miss out on that kind of innocent magic in their lives, the magic of ?going to the place where the toys are? before the world of responsibility and adulthood shoulders them with the harsh realities that make such wonder nigh impossible.

?I don?t wanna grow up, ?cuz maybe if I diiiiid? I couldn?t be a Toys R? Us kid!?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I gotta be honest here, try as I might I can't muster up any sentimentality for the death of a toy shop. I know a lot of people associate a lot of happy memories with it, not gonna try to take that away from them, but I'm not comfortable getting emotional over a market chain. I don't think treating businesses that way does us any good.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Smithnikov said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
Bain capital's business model is lifted directly from a typical mafia business tactic. Serious as a heart attack, pisanos used to call that a "burn out".
Yeah, Bain Capital and economists call it a "leveraged buy-out" but it is the same scam... and sadly totally legal (in the U.S.) Anything bought in a leveraged buy out, is almost always completely doomed. Its just a case of how long one can drag out the death spiral. Toys R' Us' 12 years is actually kind of impressive.

I don't really have a lot of nostalgia for Toys R Us though, as other have brought up even before the LBO it was an expensive place to shop. As a kid I didn't have a lot of use for getting things there, unless I couldn't find a video game I wanted anywhere else.