Trailers: Alice: Madness Returns: Combat

eNTi

Sep 8, 2007
so this is the "new alice"? it looks like they took all the fun stuff out of the first and reduced it to a simple fighting game? where's the wacky humor? where's the weird puzzles and platformer jumping? this doesn't look like anything but a glorified money grab. just play the first one again and save you the trouble for this monster. they just took out half of the first game and replaced it with better graphics and lots of gore.

i'll pass.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
The original one had tons of shooting and slashing 30 mins into the game. Sure the shooting was your generic Quake engine so nothing great but that didn't made it any less fun.

Mathak

The Tax Man Cometh
Mar 27, 2009
eNTi said:
so this is the "new alice"? it looks like they took all the fun stuff out of the first and reduced it to a simple fighting game? where's the wacky humor? where's the weird puzzles and platformer jumping? this doesn't look like anything but a glorified money grab. just play the first one again and save you the trouble for this monster. they just took out half of the first game and replaced it with better graphics and lots of gore.

i'll pass.
I hear it's common for games to show off their puzzle elements in trailers that are specifically labelled 'çombat'.

OT: Looks a lot like the original, though I hope to god the weapons'll be better. In AMcG'sA about 75% of the weapons were useless, so the combat just got boring after a while.

Mar451

Nov 25, 2009
To everyone who says that this game is copying Devil May Cry and God of War, you know that Alice came out before both of them right? And the combat, asides from being polished, looks pretty much the same.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Never really cared for the hack and slash genre. I thought Alice was more of a low-brow adventure type of game, kind of like Silent Hill, but not really. I guess I was way off.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
This does look like it should turn to be a good game. Hope it is as good as it is looking to be right now.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I like how some people are basing their entire assumption of the game off of a single trailer. This trailer is called combat for a reason, namely, to show off the combat.

If there was a platforming trailer, it would naturally show off the platforming.

didom

May 30, 2010
I really hope that the developers will keep their promise about the release date . I really hope that the story will be good , Wonderland looks awesome in the trailers , the combat is the same , which works for me actually , and i really want to hear the Cheshire Cats voice again .

Wake me up in the 14th of June.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
What does she have against Shingen Takeda!? (Im assuming thats who the samurai guy is, since he has the Takeda symbol and wears a mask like he is often depicted wearing)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
It's like if Coraline ate God of War.
Looks okay otherwise, I guess.

Breakdown32

Nov 18, 2009
Being a fan of the first game and it's Platforming/FPS kind of style, i'm not sure what to think of this. I didn't want to be one of the people going "HUR! This looks EXACTLY like DMC and Bayonetta done with Alice", but it looks like it has went down this route. I understand that games evolve and take on new styles but this makes me ponder whether or not it could work like this.

Venjamin

Apr 7, 2011
Wait wait wait. People are saying the combat looks like DMC / GoW / etc and yet, the combat doesn't look that far removed from the original game. If you played that, there was clearly a "hack'n'slash" element to it that this one isn't missing.

Calling this game a rip of other hack-n-slash types is just foolish, considering we're not seeing the story, or any of the characterization that the game will have. I may be slightly pouty about the addition of a lock-on feature, but to be perfectly honest, it's not going to change the game THAT much, as far as combat is concerned.

Or is everyone forgetting that the original did almost all of these things, except there was a mana bar involved, which would eventually reduce you back to just the Vorpal Blade and it's slash/throw mechanic? It looks like they may have ditched the mana bar, but as I saw it, there was some form of indicator in the top right for the teapot.

Don't write this game off because they gave her more than a downward-swinging slash with her Vorpal Blade and the ability to move a little more fluidly with the butterfly-move.

Tell me: Did you really play the original Alice for it's riveting combat system or did you play it because the story was absolutely amazing?

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Wha..? I never imagined that this would be DMC in wonderland, kinda disappointing. But since there aren't many games like this on the PC i might check it out.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
The thing is, they seem to be placing a lot of the combat clips in the same locations in the game. On the other hand there's screenshots like this:

Whatever the combat turns out like, this is going to be one very bizarre game.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
HankMan said:
Madness?
<color= red>THIS
<color= red>IS<color= red>WONDERLAND
Brilliant!

Also yeah, I'll be getting this. The story trailer horrified me, really sent shivers down my spine, but this looks brilliant so yep, can't wait!

Jonsbax

May 4, 2010
Have any of the people comparing this to DMC actually played the games? Just wondering.

Combat looks okay, which is fine to me since I'm more interested in story and style in this one.

Ammutseba

Sep 24, 2010
Mar451 said:
To everyone who says that this game is copying Devil May Cry and God of War, you know that Alice came out before both of them right? And the combat, asides from being polished, looks pretty much the same.
It doesn't matter if the first Alice game came out before Devil May Cry and God of War, because the second game isn't going to be like the first one. You also have a loose way of using the word "polished". And if you think the combat in this trailer looks like the combat in the first game you either haven't play American McGee's Alice or you have Alzheimer's disease.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Ammutseba said:
Mar451 said:
It doesn't matter if the first Alice game came out before Devil May Cry and God of War, because the second game isn't going to be like the first one. You also have a loose way of using the word "polished". And if you think the combat in this trailer looks like the combat in the first game you either haven't play American McGee's Alice or you have Alzheimer's disease.
A) I never played the first Alice, so my opinion will be skewed.

B) I think you're suffering from nostalgia-glasses

I was reading the comments and wondered if all this "it's nothing like before" had any truth. Well, I went over to trusty Youtube to see some gameplay of the first game. Barring some differences due to the change in consoles since the original was released, I see the combat seen in the combat trailer to follow and extend on what I saw, like the video below.

I've also seen some gameplay from parts on platorming and those also seem quite close to other gameplay videos I've seen.

Really, people, I don't know what's gotten into you.