Trailers: Alice: Madness Returns Teaser

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ayvee said:
I'm excited for this game, but this particular teaser/trailer is my least favorite so far. Does anyone else feel like the end was just tacked on to say "hey, we have blood in this game!" ?
That's definitely not the intention, considering how they have to FIGHT to keep the blood levels DOWN.

No, I think they went for a sudden round of Eye Scream to unsettle and scare the viewer. It worked.

JezebelinHell

Dec 9, 2010
leviadragon99 said:
Huh, this is a follow-up to an fairly old game if memry serves...
11 years.
I am seriously hoping they do not ruin it. I am back to playing the first one now.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Take a well loved fairytale and make a dark twisted spin on it. That's already so cliched it hurts.

But make a second game... which is just the same crap all over again? There's a word for that.

It's pathetic.

Do they really think we haven't seen the little girl grinning with blood splattered on her face about a thousand times before? Do they really expect us to be surprised that the world gets hellish when the girl already looks like she's just been refused entry to an alternative/emo club? Do they expect us to believe that caterpillars sound like that? or is that a taste of what their attempt to pass of as 'atmospheric music' is going to be like?

Thanks but no thanks. I like my games with some originality, and this game doesn't even know how to read a dictionary.

KenzS

Jun 2, 2008
Squilookle said:
Take a well loved fairytale and make a dark twisted spin on it. That's already so cliched it hurts.

The original game was 11 years old, hardly a cliche back then. In fact I don't remember very many video games so pitch black and comical in those days. You can't remake a game and expect it to be original, it's impossible.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Squilookle said:
I think this envisioning of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is supposed to be more like an close adaption of the source material, concerned primarily with providing a more accurate depiction of the series than Disney's portrayals of the license. The original Lewis Carroll story was basically a "fuck you" to the evolution of advanced mathematical concepts and the "logic" that followed them, taking the idea of a stable, logical universe, and turning it on its head until barely a shred of reality remained.

If that isn't adult and "twisted" already then I don't know what it is...

Live4Lotus

Dec 5, 2009
"If that isn't adult and "twisted" already then I don't know what it is..."

A donkey show...now that is both "Adult" and "twisted".

But seriously, I can't wait for this game; it will be great if it is just 1/2 as good as the last one. It is nice to see that the new Alice is a goth, and I can't wait for the sick, twisted things they they do to a story that is already a metaphor for hallucinogenic drugs, insanity, and the most evil thing of all...Disney. I almost wish disney had a hand in this; I would love to remove Mickey's eyes with a rusty knife...while he is still alive and kicking.

Ithos

Jul 20, 2009
I want this game sooo bad.

I dunno about this trailer though. The mood set by the other teasers were totally different. And in my opinion, better.

Cali0602

Aug 3, 2008
Captain Placeholder said:
THEY NEED TO MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF THE ORIGINAL GAME.
They were going to a loosely based movie of American McGee's Alice a couple years ago using Sarah Michelle Gellar as the lead, but the project lost steam once Disney decided to do THEIR Alice. I can't even find the IMDB site for it anymore, that's how dead the project is.

I've got a good feeling about this one. Hell, I STILL play the original Alice from time to time.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AssassinJoe said:
lacktheknack said:
AssassinJoe said:
.........holy crap!

That was the creepiest thing I've ever seen!
I can fix that if you want...
If you're planning on showing me the trailer for Dead Island, I WILL END YOU!
Almost right.

<youtube=QNwCojCJ3-Q>

But if we're going for monstrous face mutilation, then...

<youtube=dZfmPREbTd8>

hilarius117

Jan 24, 2011
Captain Placeholder said:
THEY NEED TO MAKE A MOVIE OUT OF THE ORIGINAL GAME.

Now that the most obvious statement has been stated by me - I can't wait for this game!
Check out the mid 60s Czech movie "Alice"
It is all stop motion with strange visuals. Has no soundtrack and just loud background noises. veeeerrrry unsettling. It is on netflix.
Worth a watch IMO

MrShadowzs

Apr 5, 2009
ehhhhh it looks okay, a little melodramatic, but arn't these guys a little late for the Alice Train

Breakdown32

Nov 18, 2009
MrShadowzs said:
ehhhhh it looks okay, a little melodramatic, but arn't these guys a little late for the Alice Train
Well ive played (and loved) the first game American McGee's Alice, over and over. From what they've shown so far it looks pretty much like the 1st. Considering everyone has been trying to make Wonderland dark and twisted they are a little late. Still they were the ones to do it first in video game form. I just hope Spicy Horse gives it their best, I mean after playing Mcgee's Grimm im hoping for something above average.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Xzi said:
ayvee said:
I'm excited for this game, but this particular teaser/trailer is my least favorite so far. Does anyone else feel like the end was just tacked on to say "hey, we have blood in this game!" ?
Nope, that's actually one of its main draws. It's a dark version of the Alice fairy tale. And a sequel to a very awesome, albeit dated, game:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_McGee%27s_Alice
Oh I get that it's a dark game. And a sequel.

I just think that the random cup biting, "attack!" shouting, stabbing, and evil smiling were tacked on and silly.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Squilookle said:

But make a second game... which is just the same crap all over again? There's a word for that.

It's pathetic.

Do they really think we haven't seen the little girl grinning with blood splattered on her face about a thousand times before?
American Mcgee was the first to really bring this trope to fruition. His original game, "American Mcgee's Alice", was not only a well written and intricately designed and stylized game, but paid direct homage to many of Carroll's original (non-disney-fied) characters.

In it, the themes of space and time, insanity, dual personalities, and survivor guilt are examined, while at the same time incorporating the familiar characters in a believable way. They are just as insane, this time taking on a more menacing appearance, but are expertly written in a way that evokes their Wonderland counterparts to a T.

While it has become a VERY tired trope of late, I am nothing but excited for this game: a sequel to the originator, designed by the same Dev as the first.