Trailers: Battlefield 3 Gameplay Teaser

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
Im hoping that it will be in the style of Battlefield 2\2142 etc and not the Bad Company series. Heres to hoping a first person franchise wont ride the cushion that is keeping what's been shown to work.
(am looking forward to RO2 :D )

Oyster^^

Dec 27, 2008
all that matters for me is the multiplayer. Restore the the amazingness of BF2 to the franchise. PLEASSE

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
MrJoyless said:
The game looks awesome but i have the suspicion that multiplayer will not look anywhere near as crisp or clean as that, PS3 and XBox360 cant pull that level of graphics im pretty sure.

Seems to me this is another pre rendered B.S. look how pretty my game is, but not the game you'll be playing, marketing push.

Also i cant wait for this game, BFBC2 But bigger OMG drools*
You do realise DICE has literally said that the PC is their main target for BF3, right? And this level of graphics is perfectly achievable on the PC, hell, BFBC2 is pretty close as it is.

Oyster^^ said:
all that matters for me is the multiplayer. Restore the the amazingness of BF2 to the franchise. PLEASSE
I don't doubt for a second they will. I mean it's not the fanboism and my love for the BF series, it's just that they've got a winner on that one by default. They already have most of it with BFBC2. They've said 64 player matches are coming back. All they need to add are big maps and planes et voila. Presto, BF3.

Now, I've got much higher hopes in it doing something extra ofc, but now that's more the fan than the objective guy in me (at this point). However, the promise of co-op for the PC is one that I'm particularly looking forward to :)

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Goddamn, I can't believe they are already plugging DLC that should come in the box. Bullshit. I'm pretty sure just from that fact alone I may just skip this game completely.

SyphonX

Coffee Bandit
Mar 22, 2009
Apparently I'm among a thread full of people who never played Battlefield 1942 or Battlefield 2 back in the day.

Bad Company is a spin-off, it is a mini-me version of the original Battlefield series. Notably smaller in scale, and missing a lot of details that made the BF series great. Battlefield 3 is a sequel to Battlefield 2 (2005). It was a PC-only game, never ever released on consoles. Consoles today can in no way handle even Battlefield 2 as is, and that was 6 years ago.

Battlefield 3 is being developed primarily for PC, and a different version (noticeably scaled back) for consoles.

Jets, helicopters, many other vehicles, very large multi-terrain maps, 64 players and cohesive teamwork.

They're also whipping out the Frostbite 2.0 engine, which should be absolutely phenomenal. There is going to be a Lot more destruction. You can blow craters into the ground for cover, buildings topple in more advanced ways, and generally the engine can handle a lot more. Will also feature radiosity, which is basically an advanced lighting system. You'll see flickering lights inside buildings when they're being shelled. Light will bounce off walls, tracers will radiate light possibly, etc. Plus all the other eye-candy, that just looks nice, and is effective for proper atmosphere. Newer DirectX features with smoke/fog volume, lighting, distortion, all sorts of tasty morsels.

This is all meat & potatoes stuff for the PC. I won't speak for consoles, as I don't care and have no idea. They're not meant to handle BF3 at it's best. It will be an advanced engine at the very least, considering DirectX9 cards will not even function with the game, meaning not even Windows XP compatible, as far as I know. DirectX10 & 11 featured, amazing.

Also, an even better sound engine. DICE's sound is always incredible. I'm excited to say the least.

I like Bad Company 2, but it's far too small in scale. Maps are too small, and tactics are shrunk, so it's still possible to turn the game into an shoebox arena-shooter. Original Battlefield series was always just a 'tad' more complex, and a bit more needy with teamwork. So you always ended up 'holding the line', great firefights, flanking tactics, etc. It's hard to do in Bad Company 2, because everything is virtually a miniature version of it.

It's nothing like "every other shooter"... I kinda feel sorry for you folks, because you clearly haven't been spoiled enough. It's gonna be good times running building-to-building with a good squad, taking cover from bombing runs, clearing streets, and looking for that damn sniper. All I can say is, my PC is ready.

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
SyphonX said:
I just have a couple questions about your post.

1. From what I've heard, the console version will only be scaled back in terms of max players (and graphics, obviously). I haven't see anything regarding map size or gameplay dynamics. You said "noticeably scaled back", and you could just mean number of players, but I'm curious if there's more to it.

2. I haven't heard anything about the terrain being destructible, much less being able to blow craters in the ground. Buildings and trees can obviously be brought down, but could you please provide a link to information about blowing craters in the ground? That sounds amazing if it's true, but I'm skeptical without an actual source.

Also, when people say it looks generic or like any other shooter, they're referring to how the trailer portrayed it, not the final product. The trailer showed a brown tinted landscape and a few scenes of very basic scripted stuff. I have no doubt the game would be amazing, but people called it generic because any other modern war fps title could easily be substituted at the end of the trailer instead of "Battlefield 3".

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
This game does look great. Great game engine, good looking action etc etc.

But do we have to play as the Yanks again in the single-player campaign? I feel it's been done to death, and quite frankly, I'm getting a little worried about how much I know about US equipment, tactics and code. It's too much, and I feel it would be much more fun to play from the other side of a conflict, at least for a little bit.

Can someone name me one FPS where you don't play as an all-American hero in the SP? I'd love to know what that's like. OT: Game looks fantastic, just wish the teaser was longer, and didn't "tease" so much ;)

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
UtopiaV1 said:
Can someone name me one FPS where you don't play as an all-American hero in the SP? I'd love to know what that's like.
Assuming you were serious, here's a few decent ones:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metro 2033
Bioshock
Cryostasis
Singularity

And good shooters that half-fulfill your premise:

Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Sections of Call of Duty
Crysis Warhead

In Call of Juarez and Chronicles of Riddick you play American types, but you certainly aren't classic heroes. The Call of Duty series sometimes lets you play as another nationality, recently that's mostly British. World at War has you playing half the campaign as a Russian though. Crysis Warhead has a very vocal and angry British lead named Psycho.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Hobonicus said:
UtopiaV1 said:
Can someone name me one FPS where you don't play as an all-American hero in the SP? I'd love to know what that's like.
Assuming you were serious, here's a few decent ones:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Metro 2033
Bioshock
Cryostasis
Singularity

And good shooters that half-fulfill your premise:

Call of Juarez
Chronicles of Riddick
Sections of Call of Duty
Crysis Warhead

In Call of Juarez and Chronicles of Riddick you play American types, but you certainly aren't classic heroes. The Call of Duty series sometimes lets you play as another nationality, recently that's mostly British. World at War has you playing half the campaign as a Russian though. Crysis Warhead has a very vocal and angry British lead named Psycho.
Good point, argument well made. But have you noticed, in none of those games you mentioned above are the bad-guys American. While you may play as a Russian or... someone of no solid background (although the protagonist of Bioshock sounds like a American judging from the voiceover at the beginning of the game), you are never fighting Americans, always for them, or they don't feature at all. I loved the new OpFlash, but there's no Chinese campaign! I loved Bad Company 2, but you only fight ethnic Russians.

You guys are aware the cold ware ended, right? USSR desolved? Communism's over? Can we please make some games where Yanks are the bad guys for once? We've already shot everyone else!

I'm sorry I'm venting, it's just Battlefield 3 looks fantastic, but you use the *yawn* m4 assault rifle to *yawn* shoot ethnic terrorists in *yawn* New York and Los Angles. Even though the USA is the biggest and most powerful country in the world, without equal, you are still painted as the *yawn* scrappy underdogs who overcome adversity in the face of *yawn* a vastly more numerous (although less technologically advanced) Russian army.

Been there, done it, I want to play as the "bad guys". It'll be fun! Did you know the most popular FPS ever released in Japan was Medal of Honour: Rising Sun? The Japanese are the enemy in that game, but they still liked it, even though the Japanese market has always been somewhat unresponsive to FPS's!

Also, British accents in games are also overdone. No more of that please, our accent may be interesting in real life, but it does not translate well into videogames and movies, it makes us sound like really terrible actors!

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Really the only time you fight Americans is when they're some sort of private mercenary group or rogue faction or something, and usually in that case you're American too anyway. I honestly can't think of a game where you fight against America as some other nationality.

Though it obviously has to do with sales :/ The recent Medal of Honor game almost lost their producer just because of the severe backlash of being able to play as Taliban in the multiplayer. I know Taliban might still be a little more edgy than something simple like Russian or Japanese, but I'd still expect a similar backlash from American media and politicians when they find out a game made America the enemy.

It's a shame though, because I agree that it would be interesting.

UtopiaV1

Feb 8, 2009
Hobonicus said:
Oh yeah, that's a good point. Really the only time you fight Americans is when they're some sort of private mercenary group or rogue faction or something, and usually in that case you're American too anyway. I honestly can't think of a game where you fight against America as some other nationality.

Though it obviously has to do with sales :/ The recent Medal of Honor game almost lost their producer just because of the severe backlash of being able to play as Taliban in the multiplayer. I know Taliban might still be a little more edgy than something simple like Russian or Japanese, but I'd still expect a similar backlash from American media and politicians when they find out a game made America the enemy.

Do you know how to program? I did a course in C++, maybe we could start a mod for BF3, see how far we can get! Like the 'play as germans' mod for Call of Duty!!!

Hobonicus

Feb 12, 2010
UtopiaV1 said:
Hobonicus said:

Do you know how to program? I did a course in C++, maybe we could start a mod for BF3, see how far we can get! Like the 'play as germans' mod for Call of Duty!!!
Nah, I only know some very basic C++. But either way, from what I've heard BF3 won't have modding tools because of the engine's complexity :/ I guess we'll know more tomorrow from the GDC.