Trailers: Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Reveal Trailer

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
'Giving someone else the keys' is a pretty good analogy for what it's like to play a CoD campaign.

Otherwise: dodgy voice acting, crappy writing, rubbish textures.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Rainboq said:
Have you ever tried to write netcode before? That shit is HARD.
It's not hard if you took your engine from Call of Duty 4, which had none of that crap. How come most other popular shooters don't have these problems?
Oh and if you can't write code for a game properly, then you don't belong on the position of a game programmer anyway. There's three broken Call of Duty games already and nobody ever bothered fixing them. They just keep churning out crap that gets worse with every iteration...
...and then everybody buys it!
It's madness!
Edit: inb4 sparta

The Critic

Apr 3, 2010
You know, I have to admit, it does look kind of interesting. That said, the thing that surprised me most is that they actually showed what look like a left-handed shooter in a quick clip there. You never see lefties in FPS...

Also, why does every game in the future have to use the same style of Blade Runner-esque music? Are we somehow allergic to using anything else that isn't electronic?

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
From what we see I'll give a crack at a possible story line.

Opens in afganistam/iran/saudi arabia where the player as an undercover agent has to assassinate a terrorist leader (either arab terrorists or some kind of global anti-american alliance) but a US attack forces him to flee, forcing you to follow him/escape your side. Ending with your possibly being captured or being killed.

If you are captured then there might be the black ops style flashbacks to why they wanted the terrorist leader dead. The action then jumps to Los Angeles where a terrorist group storms a US army drone control centre or something that allows them to use US drones which attack the forces sent to retake the centre/city.

It will concentrate on a squad of special forces types as they attempt to get to the centre and stop the drones, fighting both drones and terrorist foot soldiers. Probadly some other missions in other places as well, either as a flashback to before the attack on the drone centre or other special forces trying to disrupte control of the drones.

exobook

Sep 28, 2011
The Critic said:
You know, I have to admit, it does look kind of interesting. That said, the thing that surprised me most is that they actually showed what look like a left-handed shooter in a quick clip there. You never see lefties in FPS...

Also, why does every game in the future have to use the same style of Blade Runner-esque music? Are we somehow allergic to using anything else that isn't electronic?
More closely it rips off the music of Deus Ex: Human revolution, especially the opening bit.

Grape_Bullion

Mar 8, 2012
Treyarch has this really bad habit of not understanding how to copy a modern warfare game. It is in fact, that they take place in a "modern" era. Not when my grandpa was blasting nazis, not when my other grandpa was hoping not to get malaria in 'nam, and especially not when my grandchildren have to fight Neo Soviet robots in Neo Los Angeles. Can this please be the Call of Duty that has terrible sales figures and puts an end to this series?

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Top Hat said:
Woods survived!?
Really looking forward to this; it looks awesome.
Also, HORSIES!
Yeah, I was going to ask how he would survive being blown up in Vietnam in 1963... than I remembered its a COD game, fuck the finer points of the story...

Also, horses... Day 1 for me now...

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Aaaannd, there it goes! Damn, look how much air that shark got!

All in all, I'm not surprised that Treyarch is the one to do it.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
liked black ops 1 so I'll probably get this since mw3 is a lagging steam of shit.

mrm5561

Apr 27, 2010
well since call of duty 4 changed all shooters from ww2 to modern warfare, maybe this game will start the future warfare theme.... o wait thats been done before lol

in all seriousness looks interesting and i wonder what the kill streaks will be

Darth_Murmeltier

Jan 5, 2011
How can anyone still care about this? I mean, I don't hate it (I guess), but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting too old for shit like this; you know, I rather read a book or something like that -- yes, it seems like I'm that guy. CoD just seems relentlessly corrosive to the soul, I'm sorry.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
mrm5561 said:
well since call of duty 4 changed all shooters from ww2 to modern warfare, maybe this game will start the future warfare theme.... o wait thats been done before lol

in all seriousness looks interesting and i wonder what the kill streaks will be
*facepalm*

Before Call of Duty 1 there was Medal of Honor, Wolfenstien and countless others. Before Modern Warfare, there was Counter Strike, Battlefield 2, Ghost Recon and countless others. Also, this shall be the Call of Duty version of the future, which will be very different to the Tom Clancy/Deus Ex/Syndicate version of the future. One more point, EVERY idea has been done before, not just Call of Duty's ideas.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Damn, I kinda want to play this. I like how it looks and that it has mechs, but I am afraid it will just be like Modern Warfare 3 with a new coat of paint.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
Wicky_42 said:
Lol - horse riding section XD

Who wants to bet against the multiplayer being full of EVEN MORE annoying kill streak mechanics involving autonomous weapon systems?

Anyone feel the campaign's going to break the 4hr mark?

Only thing interesting is a potential discussion about use of remote weapons systems, but that's more likely to be addressed from the American military angle of "it's only bad if WE can't control them", rather than the more interesting ethical dilemmas the use of such systems raises (assassinations in foreign countries (see Afghanistan and Pakistan now), if an innocent is killed who wasn't a target who is responsible (the person giving the order, the guy who executed the program, or the programmer who wrote the software that got the target wrong?) etc etc). Anything else is basically terrorism (again) or terminator (again again).
Yeah, that's what jarred me when I played MW2, the use of infantry didn't seem that realistic if you consider how much machines and robots are already in use currently, let alone in the near future. If another publisher/developer was doing this, I'd be intrigued, but unfortunately I doubt ethical dilemmas are high on Treyarch/Activisions to-do list.

Samantha Burt

Jan 30, 2012
Freezy_Breezy said:
Reminds me a lot of BF2142... the future always looks the same in these games.

And horses? How does that work?
Oh, I know what you mean. After the great horse extinction of 2025, how could they possibly have any in this game?!

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
The only reason that this interest me is that it is a Treyarch game.
Black Ops 1 was the first COD i thought was close to being balanced and took much more skill to kill people.

However i hate future warfare... i can't even stand to pick up energy weapons in Fallout games.

Magikarp

Jan 26, 2011
WanderingFool said:
Top Hat said:
Woods survived!?
Really looking forward to this; it looks awesome.
Also, HORSIES!
Yeah, I was going to ask how he would survive being blown up in Vietnam in 1963... than I remembered its a COD game, fuck the finer points of the story...

Also, horses... Day 1 for me now...
Hopefully they'll have a good explanation. I never got why he didn't just throw Kravchenko out the window...

OT: What's with all the hate? I can understand if people don't like some previous cod games, but condemning a game after one video? Really?

Captcha: off the record
Very appropriate.

MinimanZombie

Apr 8, 2011
I'm just not excited. I mean, I guess that could be because its a COD game but...It just doesn't look good. Not even interesting. The horse riding reminds me of the snow mobiles in MW2, and everything else just looks... bleh. It feels like it has automatons just because.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Retardinator said:
Rainboq said:
Have you ever tried to write netcode before? That shit is HARD.
It's not hard if you took your engine from Call of Duty 4, which had none of that crap. How come most other popular shooters don't have these problems?
Oh and if you can't write code for a game properly, then you don't belong on the position of a game programmer anyway. There's three broken Call of Duty games already and nobody ever bothered fixing them. They just keep churning out crap that gets worse with every iteration...
...and then everybody buys it!
It's madness!
Edit: inb4 sparta
A game engine does not contain the net code, and net code has to be tailored to any specific game. Seriously, net code is probably the hardest software you can do outside of NASA or CERN. Seriously, do you have any programming experience?

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Definitely looks more interesting than Modern Warfare 3. While I'm a fan of the series, I am very glad that they're making some changes other than the names of weapons.

Horses look awesome. You can't go wrong with horses in a game, as Red Dead Redemption showed. If they add some bears in, I might part with my cash Day 1.

However...Woods would be at least 80 in 2025, right? He kept his age well...but not his hair. Looked more like a chain smoking 65 year old.