Trailers: Deus Ex: Human Revolution: E3 2011

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Wait ... does that guy have shades BOLTED to the side of his head.

Sign me up. I'm always losing mine.

cke

Jun 20, 2010
Why is it so yellowish-brown?
Remember how the firs game had more then three colours? What's the point of making hi-def textures and then covering them with a brown filter? This baffles me.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Irridium said:
I really hope the final game doesn't have all the damn outlines on everything you can interact with.

It'd kill any and all form of exploration and discovery if it does.
actually they said that it's optional... it was even a major announcement with it's own video...<.<

Treaos Serrare

Aug 19, 2009
I always Knew FEMA had to be evil or stupid to fuck up relief effort so frequently

lowkey_jotunn said:
Wait ... does that guy have shades BOLTED to the side of his head.

Sign me up. I'm always losing mine.
well those add HUD overlays for his robot eyes and they retract into those bits at the corners

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
I didn't really care for this trailer, but then again it's just a trailer. Hopefully the actual game will be better than what I just saw. I particularly disliked how at 1:14 the guy literally slides in a kneeling position. It hurt my eyes to look at that. I'll wait for reviews, but at the moment I'm not holding my breath over this being anything above mediocre chatty/shootty-fest. The animation was stiff and everyone looked like big blocks of plastic, but...again...it's just a trailer.

LandoCristo

Apr 2, 2010
Do want. The only problem I had with the first Deus Ex was the way that if felt unnatural to be sneaking along in first person, and having to keep poking my head around barrels while crouched. I'm digging how it switches to third person, which (IMO) helps to make a better stealth game.

Dustpan

Jan 25, 2011
Awesome.

Adapted for the console generation. Say goodbye to puzzle solving or/and inventory management.

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
Dustpan said:
Adapted for the console generation. Say goodbye to puzzle solving or/and inventory management.
Probably, but maybe this will be the game that has guts enough to break the rules of dumbing-it-down for the consoles? Heck, if they are bringing Witcher 2 over to the consoles, maybe the console crowds are ready for a challenging sci-fi game? And, no, I don't think there's anything particularly challenging about ME, and even less so with the sequel.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
Still not liking what I see.

It looks like a bad-ass action based FPS with objectives that aren't shooting people so far.

Perhaps their just not selling the other gameplay elements but this really looks like Call of Duty Future warfare.

Each time they release more footage they release an even more ridiculous Augmentation, how the hell does the ground pound work without tearing his mechanical parts from his remaining muscle? And why would it be useful outside of certain situations? do they now teach their agents by playing 'The floor is lava' everyday so they remember to climb on everything?

Final thought, this is a prequel so the game has to come into line for the original title, at this rate I can't see why they would be decommissioning cyborgs for Nano-soldiers as the Dentons look hopelessly out gunned (aside from the whole model citizen AI in the skull thing).

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Mike-O said:
GAAHHHHHHHH

That trailer destroyed my ever hope for the game. I, for one, don't give a shit about graphics, but they did seem sub-par.

Oh, a wall with outlines, I WONDER if it'll be able... oh it did blow up!

Gun fights, really many gun fights!

Fuck this game and fuck Ubisoft for ruining the DE name.
Over-reacting much? Just turn it off in the options menu.

OT: I never got around to playing the first game, but I hear the game's supposed to be great. So since this one sounds like, and looks like, it's gonna be great i might have to pick it up some day.

GuiltBlade

Nov 6, 2009
frederichvon said:
No offense, but did you play the first one? I think everyone forgets how silly that game was, karkian's, greasels and aliens were almost immersion breaking for me. Nothing in Deus Ex HR looks ridiculous compared to the first one and IW. The 'ground pound' thing? I think its called the Icarus Landing System and employs a shock absorber to reduce the impact of long falls. Being able to land from very high falls would be very useful.
As for the whole 'the prequel is more futuristic than the original', its intentional , the first DE was how they imagined the future, things like flat screen tv's werent featured in the game for example, and the cyborgs were big clunking monsters. DE:HR is trying to imagine the future in a more contempory view point, which is why it looks a great deal more futuristic than the original and i think it makes a great deal more sense.
I understand that its the style and views from both a different team as well as a different period.

And yes Deus Ex is incredibly dated, so it is in need of some revamping (cyborgs especially with their strange blue metal augments).

I'm not sure where it ties into anything in DE, unless the evil cooperation/illuminati (probably) is developing its nanotech/perfect race plans in which case this will just turn into the same damned arguments and plots covered in Invisible war about destiny, free will and whats best for people.

I prefer this game if I look at it as its own unique title rather than part of DE.
The tone seems different, the stylisation is definitely different, plot that we've been shown is ridiculously wacky while its predecessors has wacky elements (like JC's ice fortress, the over-abundance of mad men with power) but the plot was reasonably sound and you can follow its logic.

It's not that I hate what I see. Its looks great, gameplay could be very interesting (although I would like to see more of things other than explosions and murder), plot I'll leave out to hang. But this looks like Square's take on the near future, not DE.

EDIT: Just went and found the 3 paths video, very action heavy in adaptive as well as in aggressive.

Stealth didn't look too bad, although I hope they don't rely on those instant take down cutscenes. A couple of gameplay trailers showed small environments with ridiculously stupid AI though, hopefully that's just demo material.

I think adaptive needs a lot of work, as it stands it looks like aggressive but with tech instead of guns.

Aggressive looks great for killing lots of people, and perhaps that's the new focus but as thief showed, its a poor agent/thief who kills everyone on their path to the objective.

I think the most likely flaw will be balancing, 1 trailer shows a fight with a large mech and the only option they showed was to blow it up with rockets. It needs to avoid the same mistake Alpha Protocol made.

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
Mike-O said:
GAAHHHHHHHH

That trailer destroyed my ever hope for the game. I, for one, don't give a shit about graphics, but they did seem sub-par.

Oh, a wall with outlines, I WONDER if it'll be able... oh it did blow up!

Gun fights, really many gun fights!

Fuck this game and fuck Ubisoft for ruining the DE name.
Pssst. Its Square Enix, not Ubisoft.

Just so you know

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
epikAXE said:

Just so you know
When I saw their logo a thought crossed my mind: aren't these the guys who do the FF-series? The one I'm totally uninterested in?

So, I went and googled 'square enix games' just for kicks. I'm not particularly excited with their list of past and future products.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
frederichvon said:
Telperion said:
epikAXE said:

Just so you know
When I saw their logo a thought crossed my mind: aren't these the guys who do the FF-series? The one I'm totally uninterested in?

So, I went and googled 'square enix games' just for kicks. I'm not particularly excited with their list of past and future products.
technically its mainly Eidos, Square Enix have bought out and merged Eidos. Square Enix are only really involved with the cutscenes
I hope that you are right about that: