Trailers: Fable 3: PC Developer Diary

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Lovely. So I take it that this means the controls have been pointlessly mapped to keyboard and mouse in some needlessly complex configuration to make people "Think" its not a console port.

I dont have a problem with having options, but given that there was so much work to modify it to a keyboard (and clearly WASD centric as you can see action triggers being mapped to F1-5) that they wont bother putting in 360 gamepad support. It seriously annoys the hell out me when developers do this. Its a console port, nothing you can say or do will change that fact. So dont try to fool the audience with a K&M interface, because no one is that thick. Lionhead, add the friggen gamepad support. I love xpad, but I hate having to spend the first 10-15 minutes of a game having to configure it and its absolutely infurating to have to do so when the controls were built around a gamepad. (Im looking at you Bioware and Dragonage)

OPTIONS... Not forced decisions.

Anyway, I am somewhat looking forward to the game. Even though I know its gotten below average reviews there is something profound about the franchise. I think its the music, because the second you hear music from fable it is so immediately identifiable and lulls you into a calm and passive state.

EDIT: Upon researching it seems that the dev team has confirmed the gamepad will be supported. I would retract my statements, but the point is still relevant as there are other examples of devs porting to PC but forgetting to put in the gamepad support. Anyway, good on you Lionhead, you just gave me more reason to purchase the game.

Now, if we can get them to add in a first person perspective camera I would be insanely happy.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
It's nice to see this isn't a straight port, i've always loved fable, i do hope they have left the 360 controller setup in though (for games like this i do use one), been waiting on this since november so it better not let me down.

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
That's nice and all, but I'd still like to give a big fat "fuck you" to Lionhead "we have a history on PC" Studios for not releasing Fable 2 for the PC. I'm not even going to consider playing installment 3 until they do that (so never).

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I'm going with my inner cynic and say - haw haw, not going to fool me again. Not a port my ass.

Also, delaying release also for 3D? Didn't he just say they are adding hardcore mode?

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
WaaghPowa said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
WaaghPowa said:
Forgot to mention Games for Windows Live...
<url=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109460-Fable-3-Coming-to-Steam>*ahem*

HOLY GOD-DARNED CAMEL SPIT, MICROSOFT ARE SLEEPING WITH THE ENEMY. - Alec Meer
I know it's on steam, but you're still required to be connected to GFWL. One of the first things I checked on steam.
Sadly, it gets worse

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6720/

3rd-party DRM: SecuROM (5 activations per month)
I really, really want to support this game since they seem sincere in making an actual game instead of a straight port, but I refuse to allow SecuROM on my system. Hopefully they'll come to their senses and realize GFWL is more than enough.
In my opinion SucuRom isn't THAT bad since it's 5 activations per month, how or why would I activate it more than that per month? What developers need to realize is that GFWL is shit and stop using the damn thing. THQ and Relic finally stopped using it and chose steam instead with the most recent Dawn of War II title.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Should I be ashamed that I paid most of my attention to the beautiful music from the original fable rather than what the devs were talking about? :/

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
qwerty19411 said:
What? The issue isn't activations, it's the use of SecuROM itself along with two other DRMs (GFWL and Steam) alongside as well.
Oh I know, was just commenting on SecuRom. But yes, the fact that they have to put so many DRM's on top of each other is just gratuitous.

razor343

Sep 29, 2010
Kukulski said:
razor343 said:
Should I be ashamed that I paid most of my attention to the beautiful music from the original fable rather than what the devs were talking about? :/
Not at all. Seriously that was probably the least interesting developer diary ever. I have to adimitt that the game has a somewhat interesting art style, but porting a below avarage quality RPG to PC hardly makes me reach for my wallet especially in a year like this one.
Bah, I'm gonna HAVE to buy it to be honest. Fable: TLC was pretty much my introduction to RPG's. It has a very special place in my heart. So I have to play Fable 3 aswell.

dropZero

Feb 10, 2011
That one dude who couldn't remember anything that he was supposed to say should have been edited out of the developer diary. lol.

A_who

Sep 17, 2010
OH so much irony, they said they were proud of the control improvements but honestly i felt like fable 3 sucked when I played on xbox360, and it will probably still suck compare to fable I.

blippity

Apr 30, 2009
I don't care if the graphics are better and they've changed the controls, the game still needs improvements on storyline and better execution of ideas.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Honestly this game needed a mission randomizer like good ol Daggerfall.

It was grossly short, and damn near pointless...

I felt nothing for any character, the world just seems so limited in every way...

The weapons were lame, the over extended switch of gear just ticked me off. For a 6 hour game, 1 of those hours is in the magical pocket dimension changing gear.

Oh and the lame totally good/evil choice system was pathetic as well...

When 4 comes out, i'll get it from the bargain bin.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
"We definitely like PC version more than console"..such load of bs as well as all the sugar coating,thinking that they will get a few extra buyers.

Also,bad move with releasing it in the same day as Witcher 2,that will most likely suck for them.

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Improvements?! Fable 1 was by far the best game in the series, no matter how shiny Fable 3's graphics are.