Trailers: Lord of the Rings: War in the North Untold Story Trailer

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
YES, hopefully they can make another good LOTR game. Havent had one in a while, and I love them too.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Actually, Snowblind, your Middle Earth looks pretty much indistinguishable from everyone else's Middle Earth. From the ribbed architecture that indicates a Mordor building to the way the "evil" mountains generally are superimposed on a red and black sky.

Oroboros

Feb 21, 2011
Captain Placeholder said:
Oroboros said:
Ugh, I like a good hack and slash as much as the next person, but as a Tolkien fan, I really don't like what they are doing to the lore here. They seem to be taking an incredibly loose interpretation of the lore-Angmar fell a long time before the events in LOTR and the Hobbit, Carn Dum shouldn't be a threat anymore. The *real* war in the north consisted of the Elves storming Sauron's fortress in Mirkwood and the battles of the men of Erebor and the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain vs the armies of the Easterlings-Carn Dum wasn't important, the fortress of Dol Gulder in Mirkwood was.

Any claims that they are attempting to be faithful to the books is nonsense. I wish they had just made another Champions of Norrath game instead, it makes me sad to see the lore of one of my favorite stories walked all over like this.

...What are you talking about? Seriously I am lost. Did they talk about the War in the North with Dol Gulder or any of that in the Felloship or Hobbit books? Or was there another set of books I lost.

Please help - you have confuzzled my poor mind ><
Appendix B lays out the occurrences of the War in the North out quite plainly, that's at the end of Return of the King book. The elves are assaulted from Dol Gulder, not Carn Dum. The only part of importance that Carn Dum has in LOTR is when the hobbits get attacked by the barrow wights-the spirits of the dead of Angmar. Dol Gulder fell a long time before the evens of the war of the ring.

PotatoHunter

Nov 10, 2009
Oroboros said:
Captain Placeholder said:
Oroboros said:
Ugh, I like a good hack and slash as much as the next person, but as a Tolkien fan, I really don't like what they are doing to the lore here. They seem to be taking an incredibly loose interpretation of the lore-Angmar fell a long time before the events in LOTR and the Hobbit, Carn Dum shouldn't be a threat anymore. The *real* war in the north consisted of the Elves storming Sauron's fortress in Mirkwood and the battles of the men of Erebor and the Dwarves of the Lonely Mountain vs the armies of the Easterlings-Carn Dum wasn't important, the fortress of Dol Gulder in Mirkwood was.

Any claims that they are attempting to be faithful to the books is nonsense. I wish they had just made another Champions of Norrath game instead, it makes me sad to see the lore of one of my favorite stories walked all over like this.

...What are you talking about? Seriously I am lost. Did they talk about the War in the North with Dol Gulder or any of that in the Felloship or Hobbit books? Or was there another set of books I lost.

Please help - you have confuzzled my poor mind ><
Appendix B lays out the occurrences of the War in the North out quite plainly, that's at the end of Return of the King book. The elves are assaulted from Dol Gulder, not Carn Dum. The only part of importance that Carn Dum has in LOTR is when the hobbits get attacked by the barrow wights-the spirits of the dead of Angmar. Dol Gulder fell a long time before the evens of the war of the ring.
This guy got it right. I'm thinking that Snowblind are probably making it so the armies in the north reclaim and rebuild Carn Dum as a staging point for the invasions of the lands west of the Misty Mountains. However, they damn well better include everything that happens on the east side. Almost more battles took place in the North than in the South. Lothlorien was invaded I think thrice. Erebor and Dale was on the brink of falling to the massive Easterling army, except that at the last hour when both the Dwarven King and King of Dale were dead, news of the defeat of Mordors armies in the south made the army retreat. Certainly many things can be thought of that is historically accurate to the books without needing to extrapolate too much.

Vortigar

Nov 8, 2007
Oroboros said:
They said that they really liked what they did with Carn Dum. Not that it's the main point of the game. So the jury is still out I reckon.

I just like the fact the Dwarves are going to get some love in this. Tolkien himself always focused on the Elves whereas the Dwarves are doing great stuff off-page. Curious to see if they're going with the modern Scottish-beer-chugging Dwarf or try and break that mould, because Tolkien sure as heck never put in that accent.

Natdaprat

Sep 10, 2009
This could be good. I enjoyed LOTRO and the Battle for Middle Earth 2. I hope we get to go places like Dale and the Dwarven area.