Trailers: Mass Effect 3 - Take Back Earth Trailer

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Subatomic said:
imnotparanoid said:
Shits going down huh?

Also is it just me or was the small girl really uncanny.
Seems CG artists just can't get children right, they always look really creepy (like the boy in the intro sequence of ME3, though this girl is even worse).
I thought children always looked that creepy even in real life. That could be because I hate children.

On Topic: The people who make these trailers need to start making movies. If a Mass Effect film or Dragon Age film ever gets made they need to use CG like this.

Dr Snakeman

Apr 2, 2010
Ignuus66 said:
The mako's back
Hey, look on the bright side: so is the Hammerhead :D

Also? Not a fan of the whole "take back Earth" angle, considering how the Reapers are threatening to exterminate all life in the galaxy, not just on Earth. Really, if you had to pin me down to one thing that I'm worried about for this game, it would be that. That the story of ME3 will be watered down to little more than a "kill all the alien invaders" plot, a la Halo 3.

I'm hoping BioWare isn't stupid enough to do that.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
I swear to shit..if this game is nothing more than a dressed up shooter I am going to be so angry.

I also hope it is not just harder than #2, and that Biotics are useful on harder difficulties.

If they can cross those three thresholds, I will be so very happy!

Also, pretty fun trailer.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Gray, gray, gray, gray, blue, gray, gr- Wait what?

Ashley looks entirely out of place in this trailer.

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Zen Toombs said:
But they can't exactly Reap what they plan on turning into Husks.
Ah, but you turn a portion of the crop into husks/collectors, that do the actual hard labour of reaping the remainder, for you.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
wintercoat said:
Ignuus66 said:
The mako's back
The Mako was an excellent piece of artillery, it just handled like shit. At least it could take a beating, unlike the Hammerhead which exploded if you looked at it funny.
Personally my biggest problem with the Mako wasn't the handling, but it was the fact that every dropzone you land in is apparently in the middle of every planet's most jagged, rugged mountain range. I know I'm in the minority, but I'll take planet probing over spending half an hour trying to drive up mountains any day.

But yes, having just completed a runthrough of ME 2 in preparation for ME 3, I do agree that the Hammerhead gets absolutely shreaded. No joke: in Overlord I ran over two of the animals wandering around at the same time, the thing started beeping at me faintly.

Karathos

May 10, 2009
SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!

Oh, wait, you already did. Silly me!

Powering through ME2 for a perfect savegame. Finished ME1 today, and should be right on schedule to finish up my character for ME3 release. Can't for the life of me figure out why people would purposely deny themselves a clearly excellent end of a trilogy because it's on Origin. After Dragon Age: Origins, Dragon Age 2, Bad Company 2, Battlefield 3, Old Republic, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 and soon Mass Effect 3 - my computer is still running quite nicely while I enjoy these games on a stable platform that keeps them easily accessible and downloadable (should I lose/break the DVD in some of those games' cases).

(Note, not looking for an argument so don't take this as some sort of declaration of flamewar >_>)

Zen Toombs

Nov 7, 2011
Somebloke said:
Zen Toombs said:
But they can't exactly Reap what they plan on turning into Husks.
Ah, but you turn a portion of the crop into husks/collectors, that do the actual hard labour of reaping the remainder, for you.
True true. Although that still seems a bit complicated to me. *shrug*

[nerd technicalities, go!]Collectors are essentially huskified Protheans, just as Cannibals are effectively huskified Batarians.[/nerd technicalities go!

I am also reminded of this:
It was lonely.
It called to us.
It wanted to remember.

The Masters had been gone so long.
The Masters were lost when it was shattered.

Currents swept through their inner worlds. They were turned to noise. Babble.
The worlds were empty. But the body lived. It lay fallow.
The heart pumped. The lungs breathed. But the mind forgot the Masters.
It called and They did not answer.

We have become an echo of Their echo.
We have become more than we were.

Join us. Know us. Remember all our lives.
We are no longer afraid.
You would never be lonely again.
We are not your enemy. We only wish to share ourselves.

We can join them. We can be like them.
We can reach the end of evolution.

Do not fear. It is wonderful to be us. We understand ourselves.
You cannot defeat them. They will lead us into eternity.
If you could only see how we see. Know what we've learned.

They were called imshai. Those who lived here before.

Reaper. One. A mechanical device used to cut ripened grain. Two. One who gathers a harvest.

Harvest. One. The consequence of an event or series of events. Two. The yield of a growing season. Three. To gather.

Shepard. They know you. They wish you to understand. They are shepherds, too.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I'm seeing lots of Mako in that trailer. That's not a hopeful sign. Also, why they keep using the Berk for Shepard bemuses me. Why not use Femshep ever? We have four billion generic muckheads for protagonists.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
No...seriously...I wanna know who the F#*K you're supposed to kill an army of frickin' Reapers. Unless Soveriegn was like a juggernaut amongst his kind and the majority of the rest of them are actualy a bunch of pussies, I don't see how it can be done. That, more than anything else, is the major reason why I'm getting ME 3...I've GOTTA see how it frickin' ends! It took 3 fleets that suffered massive casualties to bring down 1 Reaper...and even then they only won because Shepard stunned Soveriegn by killing Saren while the Reaper was possessing him.

Granted, Soveriegn had an army of Geth at his back...but this is an army of REAPERS!

Nostalgia Ripoff

Sep 2, 2009
RJ 17 said:
No...seriously...I wanna know who the F#*K you're supposed to kill an army of frickin' Reapers. Unless Soveriegn was like a juggernaut amongst his kind and the majority of the rest of them are actualy a bunch of pussies, I don't see how it can be done. That, more than anything else, is the major reason why I'm getting ME 3...I've GOTTA see how it frickin' ends! It took 3 fleets that suffered massive casualties to bring down 1 Reaper...and even then they only won because Shepard stunned Soveriegn by killing Saren while the Reaper was possessing him.

Granted, Soveriegn had an army of Geth at his back...but this is an army of REAPERS!
^^^ Oh by the way don't read that if you haven't played ME 1 yet. Spoilers abound.

OT: Pretty much gotta agree with the spoiler guy I just quoted. I really don't care if it's shitty or not by this point, I gotta see how Mass Effect ends.

Though judging by the amount of fun I'm having with the demo, I don't think the shittiness factor will be an issue.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
David Savage said:
I'm pretty sure the "cannibals" that showed up in the demo are krogan...
Cannibals are Batarian. Look at the eyes.

Not sure what the brutes are, but they clearly have Turian heads.

English Stew

Apr 23, 2011
What pains me about this is that anyone who's not familiar with the series is going to assume that this is just another game where you shoot aliens - cause that's what it looks like.

All they had to do was show a snippet of anything in outer-space, or show Garrus as part of the ground force, to show that there's more to this than just humans shooting zombie aliens. Hell, the first time I was ever interested in ME was when I saw an alien standing side by side with humans in the first ME tv spot.

*sigh* at least Bioware's better at killing off children for shock value than Infinity ward is.

Can't say I didn't enjoy the army of Mako's, though. Besides, well shot is well shot.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
very well made video. looked really good. just a shame origin stops me from getting the game :(

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
Kargathia said:
I must say: this video is amazing. So amazing that it, in fact, managed to hit every single cliche I could think of, and a few more.
It would have, if Shepard dropped to his knees and cried "Noooooooo!"

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Zen Toombs said:
Ashley, why do you have to look so bad? I loved you just the way you were. You didn't need to turn white and dress yourself up like that, really.

More on topic: Good thing I watched this on the Escapist, the version I saw at the Mass Effect website was much shorter. Also, if the Reapers can laserify Earth's cities to such a degree that the fires can be seen from space, why do they spend resources making husks? Why not just glass Earth and move on? Seems simpler to me.
Remember, they aren't trying to kill everyone. They need organic lifeforms to turn into husks, indoctrinated agents, and as a part of their weird reproductive process if what we saw in Mass Effect 2 is the norm for them.

The reaper form may be an awe inspiring force of death and doom, but being a 2km long death-machine is kind of inconvenient for the more dexterous tasks involved with crushing and harvesting a planet's population. They'd need slaves and husks to handle that part of it. If I'm looking at the demo and trailers right, there even seem to be smaller, more nimble reapers (the ones with the single dorsal gun) prowling around in between the big ones to shoot smaller things like shuttles.

As for the kid dying, meh. Shock value is pretty popular these days,
If it's any consolation, she might not be dead. She could have been turned into an indoctrinated mind-slave or an undead cybernetic abomination, both of which ARE technically still alive =P

And anyway, there's much better things to do than take back Earth from a swarm of distracted intergalactic robots (hey, wanna bet an EMP weapon of some sort ends up being instrumental? Kill all the reapers, at the cost of regressing galactic civilization to a Stone Age level?)
I'd like to think that at least ONE of the 1000's of species the reapers have exterminated over the last 30+ million years they've been at this would have at least tried that. Still don't think it would work though. Even if we assumed the reapers had no EMP defenses, they aren't truly robots either. More of some kind of weird bio-mechanical construct. Who knows if they even have electronics conventional enough to be affected by an EMP. Also, I'd like to think killing a bunch of what are essentially bio-mechanical Lovecraftian horrors wouldn't be so anti-climactic.

Either way, I think its going to be fun :D