Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Return

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
Hell yes. Combine this with the last trailer and The Old Republic is better than the entire prequel trilogy already. I know the finished game won't play anything like that, but I'm still really looking forward to it.

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Given everything said in here already theres really not much I can add....

... except my first reaction on seeing the smuggler was "Wait John Marston's in The Old Republic?"

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Vrach said:
Baresark said:
Vrach said:
Baresark said:
Vrach said:
snip
snip
snip
You probably wouldn't see much respect for hip hop, rap, metal and stuff like that at a music academy from the professors either, it doesn't make them any less legitimate forms of music or art, so excuse me if I call pretentious bullshit on that argument as a whole.

And you know what, yeah that is the intro cinematic. But that kinda sinks your whole previous argument of "oh so it'll be explained later in a game no one has played yet?", doesn't it? If it's a part of the story, why is it necessary that every single piece of the story is 110% apparent right there on the spot? If it's a part of the story, can't another part explain it? And if so, by what rule would that be inferior storytelling? Is Memento a shit movie cause it takes you going through nearly the whole thing to understand what the fuck's going on at the start?
Music is not the same thing at all. That is a form or expression and is open to free form enhancements. Good or bad story telling is not. You can be creative, but the basics of a story (setting, characterization, plot, etc.) all has to be intact for it to be told properly. You can change the when/how/why of those elements, but it has to form a cohesive story unit, regardless. It's not pretentious, it's the facts. I never said it was bad, but I did give an exact reason as to why that poster was confused.

It doesn't sink my argument at all. Basically, they should have just kept going and not stopped showing at that point then, by your logic. They picked a definitive place to stop the story. It solves the problem if they stopped prior to that one scene, which has gotten the better of at least one person on these forums.

I love good writing, and my favorite single element of any good story is character. Some authors are more setting heavy and light on the characterization (Tolkien, King). Others are the opposite of that (Gemmell, Gaiman). But the necessary elements of all the parts of a story are present. The Jedis in all of these videos are light characterization, as are the Sith (too light even). There is really only one character seen in this cinematic that is interesting, and that was the smuggler. In a very short time you see the smuggler being arrested, and stepping up to be extremely bad ass the next moment. The motivation and reasoning of this character is made apparent in roughly 10 lines of dialog and a few simple actions. He is interested in saving himself and most likely see's the importance and benefit of helping out the people who were previously his captors. You see he is skilled and not just some dumb criminal. Other than that, it's the same cinematics we have been seeing, but the setting was little different. The Jedi and Sith are not made nearly as interesting in any of these trailers.

It's not wrong that they decided to show that part, but it's clearly not right either. It's a poor story telling decision to do that, but it's completely up to the reader to decide whether it was the proper stopping point. It wasn't because it left someone confused. It doesn't destroy the trailer, but a greater number of people watching it would have gotten an equally good experience if they cut the scene before that point. That is the only point I am making. I hope you have come to understand this, and it has nothing to do with a personal bias in any way.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
fundayz said:
I have a problem with static combat, formulaic skill rotations, a hard trinity, content lockouts, etc. These are all things that BioWare believes are FUNDAMENTAL to MMO's when nothing is farther from the truth.
Trinity's always gonna be there because the players are gonna gravitate towards that. TOR is actually slated to loosen up the trinity quite a bit - you should look into it, from all footage so far we've seen healers DPS, DPS throw heals out etc. But it's the players who will always want the most out of their character and focus is well... focus and the multiplayer aspect divides you into tank/DPS/healer.

fundayz said:
Yes, lack of polish and content are why main recent MMO have fell flat on their faces but polish won't guarantee you a blockbuster(which is EA thinks SWTOR will be)...not any more, not after WoW. Even Rift players admit that the game is basically a WoW clone and many people are already getting bored of it or gone back to WoW.

Will SWTOR fail because of this? I doubt it, specially with the Star Wars and BW logos on the box, but it will definitely hurt it's lifespan which is very bad for a long term investment such as an MMO.
As you said yourself, TOR has the Star Wars IP. It's gonna keep it alive and keep it alive for long. Rift has nothing other than dynamic content (which is no laughing matter, but GW2 will do it better from what I see) to differentiate it from WoW. Not the case with TOR, it will have enough to set it apart and keep the players coming.

fundayz said:
Also, Greg Z was NOT just talking about game features, he was talking about all gameplay elements. That is, he believes that if you don't follow WoW's template for character progression, gear acquisition, questing, dungeon lockouts, etc your game will fail.
I won't argue over what someone else said cause honestly, neither of us can know for sure without asking for clarification. I see your point, I do. I see your overall point even. But I also see the wisdom in the approach they're taking (to a certain level at least) because of the unique situation the MMO market is in. I'd rather have a Battlefield than a Brink. Is it more like the main competitor? Sure. But it works and it's still a bundle of fun and any loosening of the main competitor's grip is a good thing.

fundayz said:
All I'm trying to say is that having animations be your second biggest selling point does not inspire much confidence of the actual gameplay.
It's not that big of a selling point for them though, they don't talk about it too much. It's there yes and they're proud of it (and deserve to be imo), but it's not like they're shouting it from the rooftops. On the combat scene, that's what sets them apart - although let's be honest, neither of us has played the game enough to see for ourselves. From what I hear the game is a lot more loose on some aspects you're talking about than WoW (in a good way). But we'll both have to sit and wait until it comes out for real or at least until open beta hits.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Same stuff as WoW but you have to talk to the quest giver longer than normally. At least they got combat speed proper this time(i think).
That bit about longer talking I actually really like. Love them or hate them you have to admit they hit a nail right on the head: the way quests are usually handed out is retarded. I always read the little story that comes with them so I at least know WHY I have to go kill 6 gnolls but even then it's a shallow and uninvolving affair.
The little cutscenes are a lot more involving, especially since you get to make decisions. From what I've seen so far it's hardly perfect but it's a step in the right direction.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Baresark said:
Music is not the same thing at all. That is a form or expression and is open to free form enhancements. Good or bad story telling is not. You can be creative, but the basics of a story (setting, characterization, plot, etc.) all has to be intact for it to be told properly. You can change the when/how/why of those elements, but it has to form a cohesive story unit, regardless. It's not pretentious, it's the facts. I never said it was bad, but I did give an exact reason as to why that poster was confused.
Are you saying music doesn't have rules or parameters? Cause.. you'd be sorely wrong on that. My point is that the opinion of a couple of old stooges (regardless of their intelligence and knowledge over a field, which are not in question) does not define the validity of a genre. It's pretentious to say "science fiction is not real fiction", the same way it's pretentious to say "games are not art" because you feel your own medium is superior. At least that's my view on it, I don't mean any disrespect to your professors, merely saying, people, all people are prone to not accepting newer forms of something, especially within their own field of interest/expertise where they feel they have the upper hand and even more so in a well established medium like literature (sci fi is what, less than a century old?).

Baresark said:
It doesn't sink my argument at all. Basically, they should have just kept going and not stopped showing at that point then, by your logic. They picked a definitive place to stop the story. It solves the problem if they stopped prior to that one scene, which has gotten the better of at least one person on these forums.
No, my logic is that if that's the intro cinematic, it doesn't need to explain a damn thing. It'll be done in the following experience, which is the game. It's not separate, it's a whole. You're seemingly talking from a literary point of view. But a game has more than one tool at their disposal to tell a story, it can use text, audio files, video files, third party dialogue, interactive means etc.

An intro cinematic is a part of the game, a part of the story, you've argued as much yourself. But it's not the WHOLE story and the parts unclear to you will be explained in the later points of it - which is and has always been a perfectly valid way to handle the story, regardless of the medium or genre and you can find such execution in the works of other brilliant artists if that's your confirmation.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Vrach said:
Baresark said:
Are you saying music doesn't have rules or parameters? Cause.. you'd be sorely wrong on that. My point is that the opinion of a couple of old stooges (regardless of their intelligence and knowledge over a field, which are not in question) does not define the validity of a genre. It's pretentious to say "science fiction is not real fiction", the same way it's pretentious to say "games are not art" because you feel your own medium is superior. At least that's my view on it, I don't mean any disrespect to your professors, merely saying, people, all people are prone to not accepting newer forms of something, especially within their own field of interest/expertise where they feel they have the upper hand and even more so in a well established medium like literature (sci fi is what, less than a century old?).

Baresark said:
No, my logic is that if that's the intro cinematic, it doesn't need to explain a damn thing. It'll be done in the following experience, which is the game. It's not separate, it's a whole. You're seemingly talking from a literary point of view. But a game has more than one tool at their disposal to tell a story, it can use text, audio files, video files, third party dialogue, interactive means etc.

An intro cinematic is a part of the game, a part of the story, you've argued as much yourself. But it's not the WHOLE story and the parts unclear to you will be explained in the later points of it - which is and has always been a perfectly valid way to handle the story, regardless of the medium or genre and you can find such execution in the works of other brilliant artists if that's your confirmation.
I originally said the poster, pages back, was confused because he doesn't know the story or motivation behind the final scene in the trailer. I simply stated that he would have been less confused if they hadn't put that in there. And I said why he was confused and I also pointed out elements of the trailer and why they were not as confusing for the poster of that comment. Like it or not, and I'm not saying the people who made the cinematic were thinking this, because clearly they were not, that final scene created confusion. It's fine that it's a part of a much larger story, but it was extraneous and confusing for the laymen, like it or not.

"Old Stooges" say it's not a valid form of literature because only a handful of Science Fiction/ Fantasy writers have actually told a story based off of more than lasers and swords and space and dragons. These elements, while all very interesting, cannot make a story without all the rest of the proper elements, and many many don't even try. If you look at authors such as Arthur C Clark and Neil Gaiman (to name a modern counterpart), they do a beautiful job at putting together these elements. These are the people that literary professors should be looking at, but they do not. They don't get past the dragons and wizards, which really sucks. I spent a good portion of my college writing career trying to convince my professors that they need to look at it more objectively. I also meant simply that you cannot win them over by defending a point that is really indefensible. My buddy was writing some Star Wars fan fiction, and he kept defending his writings (which wasn't bad a whole, but could have been significantly better) bad points. He wrote a story about a Jedi who was a character that was mentioned in previous Star Wars books, but never actually written about. Well, he wrote 70 pages of a character that read like "insert anonymous Jedi". While is work was better than anything George Lucas could have done, it wasn't good in a literary respect. I am not offering my "expert" opinion on why this trailer could be better, I am simply saying that it was confusing to "Joe Schmoe" because of X,Y, and Z.

I can't help but feel that, as a whole, the genre would benefit from authors that didn't just tell a cool story, but told a cool story well. A melding of old and new. Like, some of the literary classics, such as the Great Gatsby, tell a story well, but it's kind of a boring story.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
fundayz said:
Ukomba said:
That's true if you're just talking about your basic attacks fighting against a ranged enemy also only using basic attacks. There are so many other skills out there that it's not true at all when you're talking about other skills. Bounty hunters jet packing around, agents and smugglers popping in and out of combat, stealthing, lightsabers flying. From the demo's I've played there's an amazing amount of variability in combat between classes and within classes.
There's no denying SWTOR has a lot of animation variety but that's the thing, you are talking about regular animations not choreographed combat. In fact, VERY few non-lightsaber skills make use of choreographed combat.

All I'm trying to say is that having animations be your second biggest selling point does not inspire much confidence of the actual gameplay.
It's animations are not it's second biggest selling point. From what I've seen they're selling points are:

1. Story.
2. It's Star Wars.
3. Fully voiced.
4. Heroic combat
- a. Taking on groups single handed.
- b. Interesting questing with limited grind.
- c. Choreographed Animations.

So it's more like a subset of it's fourth biggest selling point. I like it, but it's not a big deal for me. I put combat at 4th because mmo combat is all rather similar. I've tried the game and it feels different than WoW, but veteran MMOer's won't have much trouble picking it up.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I didn't think it was possible to hate Blur more than I did, but then I watched this trailer. There's never any tension because every character in their bloody trailers is an overconfident badass of either the snarky or stoic variety. Even the irreverent space cowboy stands calmly as four armed men fire at him. Han Solo would have had the good sense to find cover or at least keep moving. Why should I give a damn about any of these people when they don't even display basic common sense?

I almost didn't buy Dragon Age: Origins, one of my favourite games of all time, because of that horrible "Sacred Ashes" trailer. This is just more of the same.

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Baresark said:
I originally said the poster, pages back, was confused because he doesn't know the story or motivation behind the final scene in the trailer. I simply stated that he would have been less confused if they hadn't put that in there. And I said why he was confused and I also pointed out elements of the trailer and why they were not as confusing for the poster of that comment. Like it or not, and I'm not saying the people who made the cinematic were thinking this, because clearly they were not, that final scene created confusion. It's fine that it's a part of a much larger story, but it was extraneous and confusing for the laymen, like it or not.

"Old Stooges" say it's not a valid form of literature because only a handful of Science Fiction/ Fantasy writers have actually told a story based off of more than lasers and swords and space and dragons. These elements, while all very interesting, cannot make a story without all the rest of the proper elements, and many many don't even try. If you look at authors such as Arthur C Clark and Neil Gaiman (to name a modern counterpart), they do a beautiful job at putting together these elements. These are the people that literary professors should be looking at, but they do not. They don't get past the dragons and wizards, which really sucks. I spent a good portion of my college writing career trying to convince my professors that they need to look at it more objectively. I also meant simply that you cannot win them over by defending a point that is really indefensible. My buddy was writing some Star Wars fan fiction, and he kept defending his writings (which wasn't bad a whole, but could have been significantly better) bad points. He wrote a story about a Jedi who was a character that was mentioned in previous Star Wars books, but never actually written about. Well, he wrote 70 pages of a character that read like "insert anonymous Jedi". While is work was better than anything George Lucas could have done, it wasn't good in a literary respect. I am not offering my "expert" opinion on why this trailer could be better, I am simply saying that it was confusing to "Joe Schmoe" because of X,Y, and Z.

I can't help but feel that, as a whole, the genre would benefit from authors that didn't just tell a cool story, but told a cool story well. A melding of old and new. Like, some of the literary classics, such as the Great Gatsby, tell a story well, but it's kind of a boring story.
Yeah I get what you're saying, but I don't accept that one person being confused by something millions get is a problem and again, he's only confused cause he's seeing that trailer now. Right now - at this point in time - that trailer is a trailer. It's purpose is to whet your taste and make you wonder. When the game comes out, it's gonna be a part of a larger story that's gonna explain what has this one person confused and explain it rather well.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying BioWare are pulling a massive epic that could stand side by side with the literary epics. We're not there yet, we're working towards it, but I'm well aware we've got a long way to go as an industry. I'm just arguing the validity of the issue you've raised.

And I agree with you on the whole professors thing - but that's as much them being a problem as the people writing. If you're unwilling to look past the crap to see the gold and dare call yourself an expert on something and condemn what you don't know, that's nothing short of being pretentious.

I agree the genre as a whole could be told better too. I enjoyed the Deceived novel for example, but could see the writer's amateurism in writing form at times. It didn't bother me too much, but I was aware of it (and that's from the point of someone who's nowhere near an expert on literature).

+1 to "it can/should be done better". But all in it's context, with two points I'd maintain, first being it can always be better and the second that being able to be better doesn't make something bad.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Kragg said:
youll never be happy will you :D

wanna bet there would be people complaining if they didnt do that?

i guess they wanna attract new people to the MMO genre aswell, star wars fans, kids that like the clone wars series. Also what i read from Activision Blizzard that was what they were happy about, more people in the MMO market (seems like a pat on the back for Bioware-Lucas-EA, but ofc just means "when your MMO fails they might come to us")
Like I said, I acknowledge that they have to say that stuff for those not in the know, it's just a pet peeve.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
fundayz said:
The "traditional" combat system used in EQ, DAoC, WoW, WAR, etc is getting boring.
Agreed.
To me the main problem is that there are too many skills. You can't find spots for them on your action bars, you can't find them fast enough in combat, some of them are nearly the same... And macros only get you so far.

Being the problem solver that I am ( shut up I am!) I sat down and thought about it for a minute. And here's what I came up with. (Take notes bioware, more free ideas coming up.)

1) skill upgrades
One of the main reasons players end up with so many skills is because we want to get new skills regularly when we level up. It gives a feeling of "yay new toy ^^" So developers give us what we want but after 60, 70, 80 levels we tend to just focus on a core set of like 5 skills.
So how about instead of getting completely new skills all the time, you get your core set pretty early and after that mostly upgrades. Not just upgrades to the amount of damage they do to keep up with the stronger monsters you face but upgrades that add to or change the skill. Like add a stun effect or decrease cooldown. And they should come in treeform like wow's talent tree so you have to choose how you want to upgrade your skill based on what you want to do with it. Like deciding if you want your frostbolts to have a slowing effect or do more damage. This way different players could eventually turn the same skill into something completely different. One guy could turn his frostbolts into a crowd controll skill, the other into a nuke. Some upgrades could also have a downside like a longer cooldown or increased aggro. You would have to think wisely about how to build up your skills without ending up with 6 slightly different firebolt spells on your action bar.

2) combat stances (for lack of a better word)
EVERY class should be able to go into different modes in combat. Every mode should have it's own strengths and weaknesses and it's own set of skills. For example a defensive mode for holding ground that gives bonus health regeneration and an offensive one that increases movement speed, both passively. Much like the druid's forms and the warrior's stances in wow.
This increases the number of skills you can give players because they won't all be on the action bar at the same time. This is also good for players because you get a much better overview of your options. Switching between modes should not have a significant cooldown though because players will end up just focusing on one permanently.

3) make buffs passive
wow had the right idea of making them last hours. Now go all the way and just make them permanent. Maybe incorporate them into the combat stances or something. They take up precious action bar space and buffing up before an instance or whatever is not epic. It's more like when a kindergarten teacher has to take them all to the toilet one by one just before a school trip so none of them pee on the bus. It's tedious and delays the fun.

There. Now do this right and you may actually be able to map all your skills on a console controller. Left analog stick movement, right camera, left bumper previous stance, right bumper next stance, left bumper 2 is potion slot 1, right bumper 2 potion slot 2, the 4 arrows and x,O,triangle and square are skill slots. ( this is for playstation ofcourse but you get the idea) Conquer the console market too while you're at it :)

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
Ukomba said:
It's animations are not it's second biggest selling point. From what I've seen they're selling points are:

1. Story.
2. It's Star Wars.
3. Fully voiced.
4. Heroic combat
- a. Taking on groups single handed.
- b. Interesting questing with limited grind.
- c. Choreographed Animations.

I've tried the game and it feels different than WoW, but veteran MMOer's won't have much trouble picking it up.
First of all, full voice over is part of the better storytelling just like choreographed animations is part of the "heroic" combat so you can't count it as a separate selling point. Secondly, the Star Wars IP is a selling point but we're talking about the gameplay selling points, not something as superfluous as the IP being used.

Secondly, interesting questing has very little to do with heroic combat. Questing does provide some context but this is quickly spoiled by the fact that combat looks to be repetitive and static even if it does have a wide variety of animations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJPFNm38434

Take a look at this E3 2011 trailer and tell me what's the second feature they list. That's right they list Heroic Combat after their main selling point, better storytelling. This looks a lot like their heroic combat is their second biggest, or at least second most important selling point.

Ukomba said:
I put combat at 4th because mmo combat is all rather similar.
This is what is wrong with the genre. Developers and players such as yourself believe that they way we do features right now is the only way to do them when this is simply not true.

With a little creativity and some backbone, the combat system in SWTOR could have been innovative and much more representative of the Star Wars universe. Instead of trying to design mechanics and gameplay elements that fit the lore and classes, BioWare decided to copy/paste the current MMO mechanics and just give them a new shiny coat of paint(i.e. Star Wars animations).

Again, it just seems like BioWare is jumping on the MMO band wagon by copy/pasting existing mechanics and then tacking on their storytelling. It's lazy design and very disappointing coming from a company like BioWare.

P.S. Since you've played the game, please explain to me exactly how the game plays differently? Do you mean differently like Rift and WAR are different to WoW? Everything I've seen so far are WoW/Rift-like mechanics with Star Wars flavour.

wetfart

Jul 11, 2010
The Old Republic: Now with more Cowboys, recycled music and scenes. Don't know why they're trying to cash in on the Imperial March and Duel of the Fates. And the trailer was just a mash of the hanger scene in Episode 1 and the scene in Episode 4 where Luke and Han shoot down the Tie Fighters.

Now go kill 20 river beasts. Killing animals is, of course, the jedi way.

I will be passing on this game.

Now I'm going to go watch Han shoot first on my old VHS tapes.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Baresark said:
Saltyk said:
Baresark said:
Vrach said:
So should a trailer for a game have a 3 page background crawl before the trailer? One that explains that you are watching a Star Wars game trailer and THIS is the background? Being a Star Wars cinematic, they could probably do the classic Star Wars crawl and get away with it. Or they could just show a whole trailer and assume that if you're watching it, you have at least heard of Star Wars. Sorry, but your argument is terribly flawed. And frankly, your bias is showing.

And why would they leave the part of the Sith killing his master out? If the person viewing this trailer knows anything about Star Wars and the Sith, they would call BS on that. That's just part of the Sith culture. They kill the weak or pathetic. And an apprentice is almost always looking to surpass his master. Read/watch some of the game's background information on the site. A recent background story explains how the Sith Empire almost conquered the Republic, but failed largely due to the Sith Emperor's apprentice trying to kill him during a huge battle. At the very least, it shows the layman that the Sith are the "evil" ones.

Personally, I'm convinced that no matter what was in this trailer, you'd complain. If they supplied us with background information, you'd say there was no need for it, and it was boring. If the Sith didn't kill the wounded master, you'd say they don't understand how the Sith actually operate. The truth is, this was an awesome video. The Jedi Master kicked ass. The "space cowboy" (smuggler) kicked ass. And the Sith kicked ass.
You're a dumbass. You should read back before you comment. You wouldn't have wasted so much time typing. But to make you happy: That is quite incorrect, as a whole I liked the trailer. I am not finding "reasons" to dislike anything. It's not my fault you are a complete fanboy and can't stand the fact that someone doesn't like something as much as you do. If you put your terribly emotional outburst to the side for one second, you might actually see what I'm actually talking about. Was it extraneous? Yes. It's fine as a nod to the fans, but the guy clearly thought what he though, which is where the breakdown is occurring.

My argument is drawn from knowing how good or bad storytelling is presented. Yes, it's a trailer. Yes, if the guy plans on playing the game he is more than likely to find out exactly why the apprentice did that. But, that isn't the substance of the conversation. The fact is, the trailer would not have been different in anyway if the the guy didn't kill his master.
That's awesome. Unable to come up with a good argument, you resort to insults. Way to go, Champ!

So, you're an expert in story telling? Are you aware that this trailer is a part of the story? The Sith, named Malgus, that kills his master is a part of the larger story. He also appears in the other two trailers for the game. You could argue that these trailers are his story. Changing how he kills his master would not only alter the later story, but his journey (on top of being contrary to the Sith way). In fact, this trailer is not just the beginning of the conflict, but the very first thing the player sees upon starting the game. Besides, like I said earlier, killing his master at least shows the layman that the Sith are the evil ones. And the fact is, the entire story would not be the same if Malgus didn't kill his master.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Saltyk said:
Baresark said:
Saltyk said:
Baresark said:
Vrach said:
snip
snip

That's awesome. Unable to come up with a good argument, you resort to insults. Way to go, Champ!

So, you're an expert in story telling? Are you aware that this trailer is a part of the story? The Sith, named Malgus, that kills his master is a part of the larger story. He also appears in the other two trailers for the game. You could argue that these trailers are his story. Changing how he kills his master would not only alter the later story, but his journey (on top of being contrary to the Sith way). In fact, this trailer is not just the beginning of the conflict, but the very first thing the player sees upon starting the game. Besides, like I said earlier, killing his master at least shows the layman that the Sith are the evil ones. And the fact is, the entire story would not be the same if Malgus didn't kill his master.
First off, I apologize for calling you that. No one seems to get what I am actually saying though, and it is a bit frustrating. I simply pointed out the part that caused the confusion and said that it would have been better without that scene. And I said that it was a poor part to end the trailer on, because it caused some confusion.

My pretentious nature aside, this is just reality. I am aware of that the cinematic is part of the game, and it's also not a trailer at all. But something in game. I didn't say it was horrible, or that I hated it. So you people can just slow your role on this. Get over it. I know you love, hell, I love it to.

But, I'm not the one having a problem with this. I think the trailer was good, if not a bit derivative and too similar to all the others with the exception of bounty hunter.

Final thought: the trailer ended in a spot that caused confusion for someone. Not everyone, but if one person didn't really understand, there is a chance that others had a similar issue. Star Wars has never been written all the well with the exception of a few authors anyway (Karen Traviss and Timothy Zahn). I'm over it to be honest with you.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Baresark said:
Saltyk said:
Baresark said:
Saltyk said:
Baresark said:
Vrach said:
snip
snip

First off, I apologize for calling you that. No one seems to get what I am actually saying though, and it is a bit frustrating. I simply pointed out the part that caused the confusion and said that it would have been better without that scene. And I said that it was a poor part to end the trailer on, because it caused some confusion.

My pretentious nature aside, this is just reality. I am aware of that the cinematic is part of the game, and it's also not a trailer at all. But something in game. I didn't say it was horrible, or that I hated it. So you people can just slow your role on this. Get over it. I know you love, hell, I love it to.

But, I'm not the one having a problem with this. I think the trailer was good, if not a bit derivative and too similar to all the others with the exception of bounty hunter.

Final thought: the trailer ended in a spot that caused confusion for someone. Not everyone, but if one person didn't really understand, there is a chance that others had a similar issue. Star Wars has never been written all the well with the exception of a few authors anyway (Karen Traviss and Timothy Zahn). I'm over it to be honest with you.
Damn, I was all ready to get into a flame war with ya. Thanks for nothing! :p
No worries. I'm not that easily upset. I just really, really hate when people resort to insults rather than arguing the merits of the case (something that seems way too common nowadays, and not just on the internet). But you apologized and that's all that matters. I appreciate that. Thank you.

I can see how this trailer alone could be confusing. Especially without any knowledge of the universe. But, taken with the others, it does tell a story. And let's face facts, no trailer for a game, movie, or anything else is going to give all the answers. It's intention is to make the viewer want to know more. Anyone questioning what was going on, could simply look up the background information on any number of sites, including, but not limited to, the official site.

Anyway, good talking to ya. Maybe I'll see ya on the game.