Trailers: Star Wars: The Old Republic: Return

The Philistine

Jan 15, 2010
Harkwell said:
The Philistine said:
The trailer seems more focused on pulling in existing Star Wars fans than it does an audience who may not be as familiar with the franchise. Either that, or they're assuming the latter audience won't care.
Agreed, especially considering the fact that most of the stuff (Guns, ships, people) we're seeing is just a variation of existing star wars creations. Like the fact the sith fleet is a slightly different imperial fleet, the smuggler's ship is Han's, and the troopers all look like clone troopers with slightly different armor.

And thats just the items, the whole trailer pretty much followed the first death star escap almost to a T. That might have been intentional for just this trailer though.
From what I've seen from Bioware in regards to classes, they're capitalizing on being derivative from previous works in the Star Wars franchise. Sadly, I don't remember the source where they were talking about the Smuggler being for the Han fans, Sith Warrior for the Vader fans, etc.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Team Hollywood said:
Star Wars: The Old Republic: Return

The Sith Empire returns to Korriban and unlikely alliances form in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

Watch Video
I absolutely hate that the visual iconography of this universe seems to have been completely unchanged over thousands of years.

The bad guys still fly Star Destroyers, the good guys still fly Corellian ships with the same basic quad-laser turrets as always, the troopers still look like clone/stormtroopers. I know they're trying to keep things looking "Star Warsy" and everything... but if nothing looks any different, it just makes this whole galaxy and epic thousand year story seem very small and closed-off.

But at least this smuggler didn't have a wookiee companion. (Oh, wait--every smuggler in the game will have a wookiee companion. Because every smuggler is Han Solo.)

Enkidu88

Jan 24, 2010
Dastardly said:
I absolutely hate that the visual iconography of this universe seems to have been completely unchanged over thousands of years.

The bad guys still fly Star Destroyers, the good guys still fly Corellian ships with the same basic quad-laser turrets as always, the troopers still look like clone/stormtroopers. I know they're trying to keep things looking "Star Warsy" and everything... but if nothing looks any different, it just makes this whole galaxy and epic thousand year story seem very small and closed-off.

But at least this smuggler didn't have a wookiee companion. (Oh, wait--every smuggler in the game will have a wookiee companion. Because every smuggler is Han Solo.)
Yeah I got to agree with you there, its incredibly sad that the addition of a freaking cowboy was the only thing that made this video distinguishable from the prequel trilogy. The clone troopers really threw me for a loop, I mean in KOTOR and its sequel there were no clone troopers. The sith troops had their silver armor and the republic troops had the Orange/Yellow uniforms with helmet. They already had everything they needed, it's not like they had to worry about the cost of designing new uniforms, all they had to do was put them in the CGI.

But no, clone troops it is.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Zhukov said:
Lucasarts, eat your heart out.

Not planning on buying this, but I'm happy to watch the pretty trailers.
Yeah, pretty much this. Also, considering I can't run the game at all, this is the best option for me. I think it's better that way. From what I've seen of the gameplay, meh. Trailers though. Wow. Just make a movie, guys. Really. Make up for the prequels.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
They should literally make star wars shows/movies like these cinematics. Not like the shit animation on that clone wars show.

I gotta say, the lightsaber fights are really annoying at this point. I felt ten times more jazzed when that smuggler fella went into action. What he did screamed super bad ass, what the jedi did screamed derivative. It's honestly those stale lightsaber fights that partially ruined the prequels, why put that shit into the game. They are anticlimactic and over drawn out. But that smuggler turns towards the enemy and fires two shots and it's complete awesome.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Enkidu88 said:
Dastardly said:

Yeah I got to agree with you there, its incredibly sad that the addition of a freaking cowboy was the only thing that made this video distinguishable from the prequel trilogy. The clone troopers really threw me for a loop, I mean in KOTOR and its sequel there were no clone troopers. The sith troops had their silver armor and the republic troops had the Orange/Yellow uniforms with helmet. They already had everything they needed, it's not like they had to worry about the cost of designing new uniforms, all they had to do was put them in the CGI.

But no, clone troops it is.
They weren't clone troops. But for some stupid reason that is what all republic soldiers wear now, it's ridiculous. I'll tell you why this happened, George Lucas gets to make all final creative decisions concerning every Star Wars property. That guy needs to have a coronary already, or at least a stroke that leaves him unable to make creative decisions. That's not fair, I shouldn't say that, but he should just step down. He can still have all the money and fame, but let someone who is actually creative make these decisions.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Rationalization said:
The Bandit said:
Jedi have really gotten to the point where they ruin the "feel" of Star Wars. This trailer had me smiling in a few spots, but hardly ever when the Jedi were on screen. It can't even be thrown off as stupid lightsaber fights. The "I sense something" bullshit. Needlessly throwing your life away. A Sith killing his master just because. It doesn't feel like Star Wars and, even if it did, it's been overdone and I'm tired of it.

A freaking cowboy felt more Star Warsy than Jedi in this video (for me, at least). That's terribly sad.
2 Siths, no way the ship could have gotten away unless someone distracted them. The Jedi Master was the only one strong enough to make sure the rest got away.

The Sith Master was stabbed in the stomach. He was dieing, and even if he lived he would have been extremely weak. The apprentice's training would have stuttered without the masters strength, the master living would have made the Empire weak, and would deny the Emperor a powerful sith. From what I saw, it wasn't "just because".
You are describing exactly what is wrong with this whole affair. It's poor story telling to assume that audience knows why things are going on. It appears to be "just because", but for you and I, it wasn't. When the apprentice is strong enough, it's the Sith way to strike down the master. No one should have to read extensive novels or source books to know this stuff if they don't want to. And a story or scene should never hinge on people having read said material.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Azmael Silverlance said:
Whats up with these amazing cinematics. Its like they are not making a game but a movie.
At this rate the Old Republic will be just a FF game. Grind some monsters until the next cut scene/cinematic.
Yeah that's kinda what bioware are like (or at least used to be like). They're pretty good with story and dialoque and generally present some pretty good choices when it comes to roleplaying. I'm hoping that that is what will make the game good. I mean the only game they've ever made with above average gameplay was ME2 and that was a cookie cutter cover based shooter. So hopefully this MMORPG will have more RP than most. That should make it interesting

the.chad

Nov 22, 2010
Absolutely awesome cinematic. Amazes me that the action AND acting far surpasses anything in the prequel trilogy =S

What really annoys me though is how all the ships take obvious design cues from the more famous ships. Didn't the sith starships look awfully a lot like a star destroyer? Even their fighters looked like something reminiscent of a tie-fighter.

And the smugglers ship...

Looked like the millennium falcon, even had two mountable turrets exactly the same as in episode iv

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
Jumwa said:
Exactly. I find "feel" to be a big part of combat, especially in MMOs where so many lack a good "feel" to them. Responses are slow, or poorly integrated, often making you feel like you're watching a character fight rather than controlling one in a fight.

That's not always transferable from a video alone, but to get any kind of notion of how a MMO is going to play we need to see some long, solid videos of a character fighting and interacting. Short little snippets of a second or two strung together just do not cut it in any way.
Well there was this whole video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvVxIVs8Ntc#t=05m10s. Maybe not the most visually impressive combat yet, but I mean... there it is. I like everything for the most part, but if it's not quite doing it for ya, I'm not sure what more you're expecting to see.

For what it's worth, most player feedback from events like PAX East have said the combat "feels" really good, better than you'd think from just watching it, but I'm hoping to find out for myself tomorrow!

rsvp42

Jan 15, 2010
This trailer really got me pumped. This is what will play every time the game starts up and I might not even skip it some nights. I might just go make a sandwich and let this bad boy play out.

Still a bit dismayed to see so many fellow Escapists talking down about it, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised anymore. Not a lot of TOR fans on this site, or at least not a lot that care to comment.

automatron

Apr 21, 2010
Looked pretty amazing (graphics wise that is)
My first thought upon seeing this: Why are there cowboys in space?
Probably won't get this, but would like to see a gameplay video.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
(Wipes drool off of computer desk)

So...can we just drop the game and have BioWare keep making movies? Because that is clearly what they excel at when it comes to the Star Wars universe. Nice little shout out to the Death Star II trench run there. Such a pretty trailer.
Can we get one where a Jedi actually utterly and completely defeats a Sith for a change though? All the ones I've seen, the Jedi put up a good fight, but in the end the Sith wins, or the Jedi needs help to bring down said Sith. Luke Skywalker isn't haven't this problem in the books.
Still...so pretty. I want a movie!

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Baresark said:
You are describing exactly what is wrong with this whole affair. It's poor story telling to assume that audience knows why things are going on. It appears to be "just because", but for you and I, it wasn't. When the apprentice is strong enough, it's the Sith way to strike down the master. No one should have to read extensive novels or source books to know this stuff if they don't want to. And a story or scene should never hinge on people having read said material.
It'a a trailer. You really assuming that the storytelling for the game is "poor" because of a trailer? Fans will know about the details and others will just be caught by the shiny look of it. It's a trailer. It's advertising and it's doing it's job, pretty well from what I can see.

messy

Dec 3, 2008
Video was so cool. But I haven't been that impressed with gameplay thus far.

Also the bit where the smuggler pulled out two pistols in slow motion was far cooler then anything else that happened in that video.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
*Mumbling to self*
This is just a cinematic, the game will not be as awesome.
This is... NOT WORKING.
DO WANT.

YodaUnleashed

Jun 11, 2010
That was incredibly cool, right until he said "no, this is only the beginning", yeah, what a stinker to end it on.

The Sane

Apr 2, 2010
I've been planning to at least give this a try when it come out, even if I don't play long term. But the more cliches get rammed down my throat the less I'm looking forward to it.