Trailers: Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - Teaser Trailer

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Jadak said:
chimeracreator said:
Wait... what's this about no carriers for Protoss? Carriers were how I always defined the Protoss, that would be like getting rid of hydras for the Zerg.
What are you on about? Where are you seeing that?

Edit: Nevermind, I see it now. WTF?
No carriers for Protoss in multiplayer. Unfortunately they were pretty useless for a variety of reasons.

There will be carriers in single player though, just like there were firebats in single player for WoL but not in multi.

chimeracreator

Jun 15, 2009
castlewise said:
Jadak said:
chimeracreator said:
Wait... what's this about no carriers for Protoss? Carriers were how I always defined the Protoss, that would be like getting rid of hydras for the Zerg.

No carriers for Protoss in multiplayer. Unfortunately they were pretty useless for a variety of reasons.

There will be carriers in single player though, just like there were firebats in single player for WoL but not in multi.
I admit that I never played SC2 multiplayer, but I remember them being pretty good in the original for multiplayer and decent in the single player campaign, so why do they suck now and why not just fix it instead of removing an iconic unit, that will then be added back in for the final installment?

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
chimeracreator said:
castlewise said:
Jadak said:
chimeracreator said:

I admit that I never played SC2 multiplayer, but I remember them being pretty good in the original for multiplayer and decent in the single player campaign, so why do they suck now and why not just fix it instead of removing an iconic unit, that will then be added back in for the final installment?
They are removing Carriers but introducing a new flying unit in Multiplayer. The tempest will do Air AoE attacks and will fire a single target beam at ground units.

This looks more useful then a carrier to me.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

this means blizzard's balancing team will start doing their amazing work

still digging that 60% TvZ win ratio
What do you mean? Terran wins 60% of the time or Zerg wins 60% of the time? If Terran wins 60%, then it's not balanced for sure. There have been balancing issues with Terran for a while now. Mules and Medivacs are my #1 gripe against Terran being a Protoss player.

I'm just hoping they price this game as an expansion and not a full freaking game. 9 new units and eliminating some units.

bladester1

Feb 5, 2008
Yay Nova still exists!! Now only if they'd release her game....Too bad it was never meant to be....

Telperion

Storyteller
Apr 17, 2008
For a while I was wondering: why should I buy this game, except for the new single player content? Then I saw the new units. Then I envisioned everyone at MLG [http://pro.majorleaguegaming.com/] tearing their favorite gaming t-shirt over this. For a moment I felt oddly amused. Then I just realized that they'll ignore the new units and keep on gaming with the Wings of Liberty version of the game. * shrugs *

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

What do you mean? Terran wins 60% of the time or Zerg wins 60% of the time? If Terran wins 60%, then it's not balanced for sure. There have been balancing issues with Terran for a while now. Mules and Medivacs are my #1 gripe against Terran being a Protoss player.

I'm just hoping they price this game as an expansion and not a full freaking game. 9 new units and eliminating some units.
Unless you are in high Masters league you aren't allowed to complain about balance.

Here are all the new units showcased.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
I reinstalled SC2 yesterday so i can get back into fighting form. I had to put it down several months ago because it was becoming all consuming and my rage was building. I hope i find a way to have fun with the game again.

Maybe i should play Dota. I hear that community is level headed and absolutely-in-no-way full of rage.

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
Amphoteric said:
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

Unless you are in high Masters league you aren't allowed to complain about balance.
I hate this argument. You're basically saying I'm not "special" enough so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm just a regular joe that wants to have fun. If the game isn't balanced, then it isn't fun. I want to have an equal chance at winning a match as everyone else. Every match should be 50/50. Not 60/40. That's aggravating. I don't want to play a game that is built for the elite players. I want to play a game that is fun for everyone.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
warfjm said:
Amphoteric said:
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

I hate this argument. You're basically saying I'm not "special" enough so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm just a regular joe that wants to have fun. If the game isn't balanced, then it isn't fun. I want to have an equal chance at winning a match as everyone else. Every match should be 50/50. Not 60/40. That's aggravating. I don't want to play a game that is built for the elite players. I want to play a game that is fun for everyone.
This. Saying the game is meant to be balanced ONLY for masters level players is stupid if it's imbalanced for everyone which it is. We all want to have fun, but we can't if the balance is skewed.

OT: I don't play much, but I do watch a lot of esports so it'll be exciting to see how the new units affect gameplay. That said, BRING BACK THE DAMN CARRIER!!!!!

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
After finishing the campaign and played a few weeks of MP with zergs, I got bored and stop playing. The zerg race felt very unfinished and one dimensional. Needless to say the gameplay department didn't surpass brood wars, it regress from it.

Oh well, I might buy the expansion....but only if I can try before I buy.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Ne1butme said:
Maybe i should play Dota. I hear that community is level headed and absolutely-in-no-way full of rage.
I do hope you were joking there. Still i love to play SC II and can't wait for DotA II.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
warfjm said:
Amphoteric said:
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

This. Saying the game is meant to be balanced ONLY for masters level players is stupid if it's imbalanced for everyone which it is. We all want to have fun, but we can't if the balance is skewed.

OT: I don't play much, but I do watch a lot of esports so it'll be exciting to see how the new units affect gameplay. That said, BRING BACK THE DAMN CARRIER!!!!!
I think what he means is that the game *is* balanced for everyone below high masters. The remaining balance issues are so subtle that they don't affect most players.

Edit: Last interview I saw (the TL interview from Blizzcon) Dustin Browder said that the win ratio was near 50% for almost everyone except PvT in Korea. Actually the balance is going to be significantly worse once HotS comes out. You can see in the presentations that David Kim and company have no idea what some of these units will do to balance. How does giving protoss the ability to have siege tanks or infestors affect the matchups? Is dropping a couple shredders in your opponents mineral lines going to be too powerful? For the swarm host, will they be able to balance the benifit of having an unending supply free units with the cost of having those units be really weak? Who knows.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
chimeracreator said:
A variety of factors come together to make Carriers awful.

For starters, they cost 350 minerals and 250 gas a pop and take 2 game-minutes to build. Carriers are also ineffective until you have at least 6. Building Carriers off 2 Stargates leaves 2100 minerals and 1500 gas useless for a full 6 game-minutes. You can't afford that in an even game. A Zerg or Terran player can also just mass Corruptors or Vikings respectively if they scout your Carriers at any point and shred them like paper. Making Carriers useful would require a complete redesign. The design team must've decided that building a whole new unit would be simpler.

warfjm said:
The point has nothing to do with how special you are. Players below a certain skill level simply do not experience genuine balance problems. Bnet places you in games you should win ~50% of the time. Individual racial match %s are based around your relative skill in those matches. Losing to Terran more often means your PvP and PvZ are both better developed than your PvT. Balance issues only exist at the highest levels.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
warfjm said:
Amphoteric said:
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

What he meant was, you're not good enough for small balance problems to matter, because if you're talking about balance problems at your level, you're probably just not playing good enough. Note how I'm making this assessment while not knowing in which league you are, because balance problems, if they're there, only become an issue at the very highest levels of pro-gaming, which I can safely assume you're not.
Sorry to break it to you, but if you're losing a lot, the simplest explanation is that you're shit, because even at the lower leagues the ladder system is made so you optimally get a 50% win/loss ratio by putting you up against players at your level. If you start winning more than losing, you go up on the ladder; if you're losing more than you're winning, you go down on the ladder.
If you're losing a lot in a certain match-up, that's your problem. Everyone has a weakest match-up.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
ladof84 said:
They're dropping the SP campaign down to 20 missions from 29 in WoL. :(

That sucks.
That is sad. I like long campaigns and more game for my money but I was reading that apparently many many people, including other teams at Blizzard, have said the campaigns were too long. Maybe that means there will be more "extra" stuff to do, like the challenge missions. One can only hope.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Amphoteric said:

Here are all the new units showcased.

GL Blizzard for balancing these Dx

Carriers were feared in SC1 y they no get love here?! :( (tempest)

So you can only make 1 Thor now i'm guessing? (warhound)

Swarm Host is a really crappy broodlord D:< (Swarm Host)

You know they could just Bring back the Corsair for the Protoss, the Goliath for the Terran, and the Lurker for the Zerg and get rid of all of my listed new units above that replaces their originals role XD