Trailers: Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm - Teaser Trailer

May 29, 2011
I'm sorry but this just seems... Horrible.

So the plot is, kerrigan is exactly the same as before, but she wants to kill mengsk, she has no emotions and she's prepared to do anything to get revenge?

...And they expect me to relate or identify to this person in any way? Or even care? I mean the plot of sc2 was pretty poor and I still loved that but come on!

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
DTWolfwood said:
Amphoteric said:
Unless you are in high Masters league you aren't allowed to complain about balance.

Here are all the new units showcased.

GL Blizzard for balancing these Dx

Carriers were feared in SC1 y they no get love here?! :( (tempest)

So you can only make 1 Thor now i'm guessing? (warhound)

Swarm Host is a really crappy broodlord D:< (Swarm Host)

You know they could just Bring back the Corsair for the Protoss, the Goliath for the Terran, and the Lurker for the Zerg and get rid of all of my listed new units above that replaces their originals role XD
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279030

Dustin Browder says that if you want the lurker so bad then go play Brood War. "Its awesome".

Edit: Youtube plugin

Zach of Fables

Oct 5, 2011
This is good news of course, I'm just not looking forward to having to relearn my strategies to at least stay somewhat competitive at Gold level. That's part of the fun though I guess.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
Ah yes, the Inception trailer music strikes again.

Use_Imagination_here said:

So the plot is, kerrigan is exactly the same as before, but she wants to kill mengsk, she has no emotions and she's prepared to do anything to get revenge?

...And they expect me to relate or identify to this person in any way? Or even care? I mean the plot of sc2 was pretty poor and I still loved that but come on!
You wouldn't want to get back at someone who betrayed you like that? Nothing surprising about how she feels.

TheBelgianGuy

Aug 29, 2010
Arppis said:

You wouldn't want to get back at someone who betrayed you like that? Nothing surprising about how she feels.
But she's going to murder millions upon millions of innocents to get back to one man. Please tell me how you relate to that.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Bwuh? Nova? Like...that Nova? From the game that never was? Whoa...Now that's information worth making me want to play the game. Alongside, you know, Kerrigan, and more of the Starcraft story. Mind you, I still need to play WoL, but not being a big multiplayer guy, I'm waiting for a price drop.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
ExtraDebit said:
After finishing the campaign and played a few weeks of MP with zergs, I got bored and stop playing. The zerg race felt very unfinished and one dimensional. Needless to say the gameplay department didn't surpass brood wars, it regress from it.

Oh well, I might buy the expansion....but only if I can try before I buy.
Needless to say, of course.
trolololo and etc.

BW wasn't lauded for its gameplay.
It never was.
It was good because it was balanced, deep, and intense.
Its gameplay was clunky and annoying.
The AI was, though decent for its time, pretty damn retarded.
Trying to get more than three units at the same time through a thin choke was a pain in the ass.
And you couldn't select more than 12 units at the same time, which caused loads of idle units even at the pro level.
You had to manually make each harvester mine to get non-shit results.
You couldn't select more than one building at a time which was unbelievably annoying.

If you've played both BW and SC2, there's no way you would ever think the gameplay was better in BW.
Because that is objectively false, even if you like BW more than SC2.

SecretAlienMan

Mar 31, 2010
This expansion actually has me really depressed... they took out the carrier and mothership, my two favorite protoss units. And replaced zerg's detector overseer with some useless flying thing that requires a spire to build... kinda late in the game to get your first detector...

warfjm

Nov 14, 2007
GrungyMunchy said:
Sorry to break it to you, but if you're losing a lot, the simplest explanation is that you're shit, because even at the lower leagues the ladder system is made so you optimally get a 50% win/loss ratio by putting you up against players at your level. If you start winning more than losing, you go up on the ladder; if you're losing more than you're winning, you go down on the ladder.
If you're losing a lot in a certain match-up, that's your problem. Everyone has a weakest match-up.
But Mules and Medivacs (Medivacs especially) are a common complaint among Protoss players (my original point). I'm just saying, even on the lower levels, balancing issues vs certain races show up.

ExtraDebit

Jul 16, 2011
Denamic said:
ExtraDebit said:
After finishing the campaign and played a few weeks of MP with zergs, I got bored and stop playing. The zerg race felt very unfinished and one dimensional. Needless to say the gameplay department didn't surpass brood wars, it regress from it.

Oh well, I might buy the expansion....but only if I can try before I buy.
Needless to say, of course.
trolololo and etc.

BW wasn't lauded for its gameplay.
It never was.
It was good because it was balanced, deep, and intense.
Its gameplay was clunky and annoying.
The AI was, though decent for its time, pretty damn retarded.
Trying to get more than three units at the same time through a thin choke was a pain in the ass.
And you couldn't select more than 12 units at the same time, which caused loads of idle units even at the pro level.
You had to manually make each harvester mine to get non-shit results.
You couldn't select more than one building at a time which was unbelievably annoying.

If you've played both BW and SC2, there's no way you would ever think the gameplay was better in BW.
Because that is objectively false, even if you like BW more than SC2.
You misunderstood me, technologically SC2 is superior sure, but gameplay like the mechanics, types and skills of units are way lacking where the zerg race is concern.

This becomes apparent when playing the other race. As there are alot more options to attack and harass with the other race. Take terran for instance, when you play you can always think "how can I fuck him up? Banshee harass? mass marines? marines drop? MMM? reapers?".

As zerg, one constantly got the feeling of hoping they don't fuck you up before you can mass enough to attack. For harassment you barely got early lings, bane bust, a very weak mid game drop which they certainly be ready for, and a very weak and resource intensive nydus sneak attack which fails most of the time.

My point is: as a zerg player the game just seems underdeveloped due to lack of options to exploit the other player's weakness of overlooked defense. Where if you didn't build spores and terran went banshee means certain dead for the zerg, the same advantage doesn't apply to zergs if the other race overlooked something.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
sir.rutthed said:
warfjm said:
Amphoteric said:
warfjm said:
HerbertTheHamster said:
Oh god no

this means blizzard's balancing team will start doing their amazing work

still digging that 60% TvZ win ratio
What do you mean? Terran wins 60% of the time or Zerg wins 60% of the time? If Terran wins 60%, then it's not balanced for sure. There have been balancing issues with Terran for a while now. Mules and Medivacs are my #1 gripe against Terran being a Protoss player.

I'm just hoping they price this game as an expansion and not a full freaking game. 9 new units and eliminating some units.
Unless you are in high Masters league you aren't allowed to complain about balance.
I hate this argument. You're basically saying I'm not "special" enough so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm just a regular joe that wants to have fun. If the game isn't balanced, then it isn't fun. I want to have an equal chance at winning a match as everyone else. Every match should be 50/50. Not 60/40. That's aggravating. I don't want to play a game that is built for the elite players. I want to play a game that is fun for everyone.
This. Saying the game is meant to be balanced ONLY for masters level players is stupid if it's imbalanced for everyone which it is. We all want to have fun, but we can't if the balance is skewed.

OT: I don't play much, but I do watch a lot of esports so it'll be exciting to see how the new units affect gameplay. That said, BRING BACK THE DAMN CARRIER!!!!!
Didn't he mean; "Just because you can't counter certain tactics doesn't make the game imbalanced"?

I don't play the game myself but I LOVE to watch tournaments that are held in sc2.

Nephilium

Oct 29, 2009
Is it just me or is Kerrigan acting alot like a Sith lord in these clips, to of those scenes looks mysteriously close to a force push and a force choke too me.
That said looking forward to this, took them bloody long enough.

Arppis

May 28, 2011
TheBelgianGuy said:
Arppis said:

But she's going to murder millions upon millions of innocents to get back to one man. Please tell me how you relate to that.
Well think of it like this, it's either you or him. He did actively try to kill Kerrigan! And he propably doesn't stop until he is dead. Granted there are better ways to do that, but I dunno if Kerrigan has those options open for her.

Sure people will die and yes it is really horrible thing, but who wouldn't try to save themselves? They propably will come for Kerrigan, so they are to blame.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
castlewise said:
DTWolfwood said:
Amphoteric said:

Here are all the new units showcased.

GL Blizzard for balancing these Dx

Carriers were feared in SC1 y they no get love here?! :( (tempest)

So you can only make 1 Thor now i'm guessing? (warhound)

Swarm Host is a really crappy broodlord D:< (Swarm Host)

You know they could just Bring back the Corsair for the Protoss, the Goliath for the Terran, and the Lurker for the Zerg and get rid of all of my listed new units above that replaces their originals role XD
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=279030

Dustin Browder says that if you want the lurker so bad then go play Brood War. "Its awesome".

Edit: Youtube plugin

so of the 3 units i've mentioned from broodwar you only chose to call me out on Lurker? Shit its already in the game and so is the Goliath! What i want to see the damn Corsair, I'm not even sure they programmed that unit into SC2.

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
warfjm said:
GrungyMunchy said:
Sorry to break it to you, but if you're losing a lot, the simplest explanation is that you're shit, because even at the lower leagues the ladder system is made so you optimally get a 50% win/loss ratio by putting you up against players at your level. If you start winning more than losing, you go up on the ladder; if you're losing more than you're winning, you go down on the ladder.
If you're losing a lot in a certain match-up, that's your problem. Everyone has a weakest match-up.
But Mules and Medivacs (Medivacs especially) are a common complaint among Protoss players (my original point). I'm just saying, even on the lower levels, balancing issues vs certain races show up.
Those are different traits of the races. You can chronoboost everything as Protoss.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
BehattedWanderer said:
Bwuh? Nova? Like...that Nova? From the game that never was? Whoa...Now that's information worth making me want to play the game. Alongside, you know, Kerrigan, and more of the Starcraft story. Mind you, I still need to play WoL , but not being a big multiplayer guy, I'm waiting for a price drop.
Nova was in SC2, remember? That one mission where you choose between Tosh and the Dominion?

Totally made me fanboy squee :D
Nope. I do not. Bolded above is the reason why. But good to know, so I look forward to that.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
Err...I think I preferred the Queen of Blades. Freed Kerrigan annoys the hell out of me for some reason...

Otherwise, nice trailer, really like the look of the new units. That Zerg flyer with the 'get over here' tongue looks like fun. :3