Trailers: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Kinect Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Kinect Trailer

Use your voice instead of fiddling with all of those pesky buttons.

Watch Video

chuckey

Oct 9, 2010
This is cool, when is it coming out? And when will they put a patch to fix quest that either didn't complete properly, or were done before the quest was given?

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
This is just dumb, I don't want to shout at the tv then hear my character yell it again. And talking to your follower with "Ally, attack" sounds like you're talking to a robot, not a companion.

And why couldn't this just be basic functionality for the xbox headset? I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a glorified microphone, screw that.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Suppose it's another neat way to justify owning a Kinect to those that do, not gonna knock a free and fairly nifty feature.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
GeneralTwinkle said:
This is just dumb, I don't want to shout at the tv then hear my character yell it again. And talking to your follower with "Ally, attack" sounds like you're talking to a robot, not a companion.

And why couldn't this just be basic functionality for the xbox headset? I don't want to spend 200 dollars on a glorified microphone, screw that.
I was also wondering why this would be a kinect function anyway.

Couldn't this be integrated into all platforms as mic functions? Why limit it only to kinect?

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
GeneralTwinkle said:
My thoughts exactly. Voice commands using headset have existed for a while already, surely this should be able to work without Kinect. (My guess is that Microsoft are just hoping people forget the headset exists so they have an excuse to sell Kinect as a voice-recognition tool)

For that matter, why aren't all the voice recognition features of Kinect available to simple headset users?

Eridani74

Sep 13, 2010
The Kinect has dedicated hardware and readily integrated software for voice recognition, making this kind of thing easier to do for it than trying to get it to work on cheap headset microphones and third-party VAC software.

Serfix

Jun 16, 2010
I must say if you can speak English so that it undestands what you say, its good tool for fast action. But I must say that it is odd that it's only on kinectic...

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Hey, how about fixing game BUGS instead of adding on worthless voice commands mmmk?

Slanzinger

Nov 19, 2009
Eridani74 said:
The Kinect has dedicated hardware and readily integrated software for voice recognition, making this kind of thing easier to do for it than trying to get it to work on cheap headset microphones and third-party VAC software.
While the quality may be somewhat better than the headset mic, other games have shown that it can be done (look at Endwar, which was released almost three years ago -- sure it was basic but it pretty much got the job done). And Windows itself has had relatively decent voice recognition software built in since the halcyon days of XP, which is usable with mics of even lower quality than the one supplied with the Xbox.
It would just be a question of Microsoft updating the firmware so that the bit of software the console uses for Kinect capabilities can take headset input for VR as well (as I understand it all the actual voice processing gets done by the console itself anyway, the only "dedicated hardware" Kinect has for this is the microphone array)

CAPTCHA: "harp on". How apt.

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
If I had a Kinect, I'd totally be yelling FUS RO DAH at the top of my lungs.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Ralen-Sharr said:
GeneralTwinkle said:

I was also wondering why this would be a kinect function anyway.

Couldn't this be integrated into all platforms as mic functions? Why limit it only to kinect?

Monies

No other real reason tbh, this is just microsoft trying their hardest to milk all the money you have.

Hunter65416

Oct 22, 2010
GeneralTwinkle said:
Good News: YOU DONT HAVE TO, People need to stop whineing, This is a rear instance when kinect actually makes a game better, especially with followers, I hate being in a dungeon where you suddenly come across a ceiling trap, you have to talk to your follower, tell them to wait, run across to the other side, turn off the trap, run back across to the start again and finally tell them to follow. Is this a good enough reason to buy kinect? No. Will this improve the game and make fiddly things you have to do quicker? Yes. Do you have to use this if you dont want to? Hell no.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Hunter65416 said:
GeneralTwinkle said:
Good News: YOU DONT HAVE TO, People need to stop whineing, This is a rear instance when kinect actually makes a game better, especially with followers, I hate being in a dungeon where you suddenly come across a ceiling trap, you have to talk to your follower, tell them to wait, run across to the other side, turn off the trap, run back across to the start again and finally tell them to follow. Is this a good enough reason to buy kinect? No. Will this improve the game and make fiddly things you have to do quicker? Yes. Do you have to use this if you dont want to? Hell no.
What about the crazy money grabbing? This is just obnoxious, forcing you to spend 200 dollars so you can shout at your tv. It's not so much the feature, even though I think they could've done something more interesting. It's just the ridiculous pushing of kinect kinect, kinect, trying to make you spend all your money. This could be done with the xbox headset, they did it for End war, and that was ages ago.

And even then, I'm sure they could find some better way to implement kinect more then just a microphone.