Trailers: The Secret World - Combat and Abilities Trailer

Team Hollywood

Feb 9, 2009
The Secret World - Combat and Abilities Trailer

With all of this information the World isn't that secret anymore.

Watch Video

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Wait this game has "Awesome Loot"... well sign me up!

But otherwise YAWN, they could not have picked a more boring voiceover guy for this.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Wow... this looks awesome! Normally, I'm not one for MMORPGS, on the grounds that you're not the only one doing everything (sorry, I don't know how to describe it accurately) but this? I think I should give this one a shot...

Kyle 2175

Jan 7, 2010
Shame, I can see good concepts here, but the excecution of the combat looks stilted and uninteresting.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
1) If there's no levelling, how does one get to upgrade their abilities? Through some bullshit "points unlocked through achievements" system?

2) Doesn't this "swap abilities on the fly" aspect ruin any immersion one might have with the game's setting. "This monster is resistant to my magic! ...Eh." *ceases to be a mage; instantly transforms into acrobatic shotgunner*

3) Doesn't that more or less ruin the social aspect to MMOs? If everyone has the same abilities (which they can switch on the fly), why does one even need to join a group? "I don't need a tank, I don't need a healer, I don't need DPS... I'm going to solo EVERYTHING! ...why am I playing an online subscription again?"

4) Doesn't that also ruin any sense of uniqueness one might have when they DO form groups? Beyond a character's look and "tactics", how are they to feel "distinct" in their own little circle? By how they behave socially? "Mikey's being a jerk again." "Urgh, fine. Boot him; I'll swap in my tanking build."

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Kimarous said:
3) Doesn't that more or less ruin the social aspect to MMOs? If everyone has the same abilities (which they can switch on the fly), why does one even need to join a group? "I don't need a tank, I don't need a healer, I don't need DPS... I'm going to solo EVERYTHING! ...why am I playing an online subscription again?"
Probably not possible, because there are probably times when you need certain roles being filled simultaneously, which one player cannot do.

Also, it probably takes a while to gain every single ability and therefore have access to every possible build. Some players might not be able to fill certain roles if they haven't been playing for long enough.

And finally, the loot element is there as well. If I have a rare and powerful assault rifle, then I will likely focus on a ranged attack role. Sure I'm more flexible if I have unlocked all the melee abilities as well, but I'm probably going to gravitate towards ranged. It means, also, that if I find an awesome hammer later down the track, it's not useless to me.

I actually think this model isn't too bad.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Kimarous said:
1) If there's no levelling, how does one get to upgrade their abilities? Through some bullshit "points unlocked through achievements" system?

2) Doesn't this "swap abilities on the fly" aspect ruin any immersion one might have with the game's setting. "This monster is resistant to my magic! ...Eh." *ceases to be a mage; instantly transforms into acrobatic shotgunner*

4) Doesn't that also ruin any sense of uniqueness one might have when they DO form groups? Beyond a character's look and "tactics", how are they to feel "distinct" in their own little circle? By how they behave socially? "Mikey's being a jerk again." "Urgh, fine. Boot him; I'll swap in my tanking build."
1) By leveling. You grind quests from quest hubs (like wow) and gain XP (like wow) to unlock your abilities (like wow), BUT you don't gain levels, instead you gain ability and skill points. So... you do level, there is just not a number assigned to said level :D

2) Kinda... but only if you have the gear to pull out your new ability build.

3) No idea... there wasn't any group content last open beta. However, being a guy that likes to switch builds i do fancy this sytem.

4) So you rather play with a jerk?

This mmo is amazingly standard, copy paste of the run out of the mill 2000-2009 mechanics, but differenciates in:

- The setting (whitewolf based rol FTW!)

- The skill build system, that is more based off stuff like Guild Wars 1 than WoW.

Good stuff, i bought it, and would have played it if i had more time or if it was released in 2004-2006.

CrazyGirl17 said:
Wow... this looks awesome! Normally, I'm not one for MMORPGS, on the grounds that you're not the only one doing everything (sorry, I don't know how to describe it accurately) but this? I think I should give this one a shot...
This it does very well. Unlike WoW, ToR or even GW 2 to some extent where you are "the chosen one saving the galaxy" sides the thousand other ones running around your screen doing the same thing, here the game says to you "you are just one in an army", wich fits more a mmo imo.

However, if you have been in the MMO scene for a long time this one will burn you out fast almost for sure.

latenightapplepie said:
Probably not possible, because there are probably times when you need certain roles being filled simultaneously, which one player cannot do.

Also, it probably takes a while to gain every single ability and therefore have access to every possible build. Some players might not be able to fill certain roles if they haven't been playing for long enough.

And finally, the loot element is there as well. If I have a rare and powerful assault rifle, then I will likely focus on a ranged attack role. Sure I'm more flexible if I have unlocked all the melee abilities as well, but I'm probably going to gravitate towards ranged. It means, also, that if I find an awesome hammer later down the track, it's not useless to me.

I actually think this model isn't too bad.
Well, i do assume there is a max ammount of abilities and skills you can gain (max level toon if we speak plainly). Even if it's not, you are restricted to 2 weaps to switch on the fly, and weaps matter a lot on how you play, for what i remember:

- Swords - tank
- Hammers - melee DPS
- Claws - melee with good regen
- Wierd ass shields - melee caster
- Shotguns - near melee DPS
- Rifles - ranged DPS

there are also elementalist caster, healer caster but dont remember the items, and pistols that do "trick based mid range DPS" whatever that means. TBH it feels like what WoW would be if every toon had acess to every class tree at the same time, but limited skill points to use and you restricted the classes to priest, warrior and hunter.

As for the model... well mate, it follows the standard mob tagging system but the mobs don't show being tagged when someone other than you does it wich is both boring and frustraiting; and also everyone rolling on everything because they need it? I dunno, mark me exceptic.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Tanakh said:
Kimarous said:
That was just a scenario I quickly made to illustrate my point. >_>

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Kimarous said:
Tanakh said:
Kimarous said:
That was just a scenario I quickly made to illustrate my point. >_>
Well, as far as i could tell (taking into account that the beta only featured 1 level with no group content, but that i did joined a party to kill shit faster and tackle 1 mob impossible to do alone), this game just makes easier the switch.

In your standard party you will need a dedicated tank, a dedicated healer and the rest DPS. However the "twist" is that ther ain't classes and you can switch roles.

I fully support this approach... or would if it had come years ago; now? I would rather say FUCK THE HOLY TRINITY like GW 2 does. I support personal responsability, you evading the fucking damage and healing your HP bar, not a nanny developer telling me what to do, RON PAUL 2012!

Also... is it just me or this feels like an add? I do hope the escapist is getting paid for posting it.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
Two Angels said:

But otherwise YAWN, they could not have picked a more boring voiceover guy for this.
nah, he could have been way more boring.

other then that, 'these 14 ability's are called a build' ..... really ..... no shit moron.

who are they aiming this game at that they need to explain a simple term like that

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Lunar Templar said:
Two Angels said:

nah, he could have been way more boring.

other then that, 'these 14 ability's are called a build' ..... really ..... no shit moron.

who are they aiming this game at that they need to explain a simple term like that
I thought the exact same thing. He pretty much explained every basic game element that has existed like he was expecting everyone who would be interested in this game will have just started getting into those new fangled computery game things!

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
Perhaps to people like me, who have never ever been interested in the MMORPG scene, because everything always sounded so rigid and repetitive, so we never caught on the lingo (I know it's RPG, no MMO lingo, but that hasn't been my cup of tea for a long while).

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
Maybe it was just me, but the guy made the trailer sound very cheesy. Kind of like he was a high school kid who is trying to seriously explain his idea. Hard to explain, but it sounded weird. Also he really like the word "synergy" doesn't he.

Vidiot

May 23, 2008
I would love to play this, but I can't afford a subscription game anymore, so if it were to go F2P, I'd jump on this.

Gear that doesn't change my appearance or force me to look like I dress myself in the dark with pickings from the local dumpsters, combat that allows me to be a healer and still switch to tank/dps if I need to solo for a while, and a world that isn't another fantasy realm full of stripper elves and bearded dwarves.

I support this game completely, but I just can't afford any monthly subscriptions.