Trailers: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine - "Our Weapons" Trailer

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Agayek said:
Jodah said:
Heh, I'm one of the few that doesn't hate the Ultras. They aren't my top by any means (I like the pre-heresy Death Guard the most) but I don't hate them. I can't find a chapter (in game guild/clan) that will take a Death Guard though so I dunno what I'll be for multiplayer.
I don't hate the Ultrasmurfs so much as I find them incredibly bland. There's just nothing interesting about them. Their philosophy is bland, their chapter history is dull, and their color scheme/emblems are boring. There's really nothing there to like.

I'd much rather play a Black Templar attempting to reconquer the world from the Orks.
I saw someone post a pretty apt description of them. Basically Ultramarines are the vanilla of the space marines. There is nothing spectacular but they are always the safe option. You always know what you get with Ultramarines. Its also needed for a comparison. Imagine if all Space Marines were like the Space Wolves. They are cool now but if they became the basic marines that all others are compared to they would be boring. You can't appreciate Rocky Road without having Vanilla to compare it to, so to speak.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Jenx said:
"only one force can halt the anhialation of mankind"
...The Imperial Guard, along with the Imperial Navy, who every day battle and kill more aliens than most Space Marines?

God, this trailer sucked donkey balls. Will someone remind these people they are making a 40k game, not Gears of War?
That's exactly what I thought when I heard that line. You have to remember though, it's entirely with 40kness to totally ignore the men and women of the IG in favor of TEH SPESS MEHRENES! See: this game.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I love Relic and I love 40k but they are just all over the place thematically with these trailers.

Hyp3roptic

Sep 7, 2009
C-Demo said:
Titus became captain of the 2nd after his "commanding officer was killed in battle" (mentioned by one of the devs in a livestream a while back). So, if GW decides to recognize Space Marine as 40k canon, then Cato got his ass killed.

Ahhh ok then, well now they need to scrap the finecast Cato's and make Titus ones. XD

I Did see Blood Ravens in one of the campaign trailers somewhere, looks like the Ultramarines trio arent the only space marines in the game.

arandomnutter

Aug 31, 2011
Hero in a half shell said:
Hold on, it says 40,000 years in the future. Wouldn't that make this Warhammer 42K?
No the world ended with a massive war once the dark age of technology ended so when the empire was reborn the started the calendar again. That then set the stage for the current universe the game lives in.

Sushewakka

Jul 4, 2011
Hyp3roptic said:
I Did see Blood Ravens in one of the campaign trailers somewhere, looks like the Ultramarines trio arent the only space marines in the game.
Single player campaign you play as Captain Titus of the Ultrasmurfs. The other chapters are available as multiplayer skins, with some specific sets as preorder bonus (which, considering there's an in-game army painter, is a bit silly, but eh).
I'm going Salamander Devastator myself.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
The pre-orders give you armour pieces specificaly for the chapters.

http://www.spacemarine.com/buy

See how the space wolf has wolf heads on his backpack.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
PBMcNair said:

Kind of disappointed about that actually, considering a big part of their multiplayer promotions have been "Create your own chapter, or play as one of your favorites from the canon". Now the Space Wolves, Black Templars and Emperor's Children (the only Chaos Marine chapter I like) seem to be pre-order bonuses. Oh well, the Imperial Fists and the Salamanders will still be there, so I can make do until the others come out for everyone.

Plus I can try to make my Deathwatch marine or rock my friend's Space Marine chapter in the meantime.

Im more interested to see what this does for 40k in general, really. I mean, it's fairly obscure to anyone who hasn't been around the internet a while or is not a nerd. Big-budget action games are a lot more accessible to most people than a PC-exclusive RTS series or a tabletop game. It seems that they're pretty serious about advertising, as I've seen plenty of ads online and even on TV (There was 40k on my TV. So awesome =D ).

Here's hoping this helps finally give 40k some of the spotlight its been due for decades, and introduces a lot of new people to the granddaddy of quite a few of videogaming's modern sci-fi settings (Halo, Gears of War, Starcraft, the list goes on). I mean, Gears of War 3 doesn't come out until the end of the month, so their fans are going to be looking for something to play. Its got dudes in big armor, with chainsaw-based weapons. Maybe that's enough to get some new people to take the plunge and have their minds blown.

Worst case, correcting the clueless newbies that will inevitably pop up with "SPESS MARINE TOTALLY STOLE FROM GEARS!!!" should be fun. Maybe help create a few new fans in the process too.

PBMcNair

Aug 31, 2009
rcs619 said:
PBMcNair said:

Kind of disappointed about that actually, considering a big part of their multiplayer promotions have been "Create your own chapter, or play as one of your favorites from the canon". Now the Space Wolves, Black Templars and Emperor's Children (the only Chaos Marine chapter I like) seem to be pre-order bonuses. Oh well, the Imperial Fists and the Salamanders will still be there, so I can make do until the others come out for everyone.

Plus I can try to make my Deathwatch marine or rock my friend's Space Marine chapter in the meantime.
Well you can still play in those chapters colours, you'll just have to use standard armour pieces to create your marine.

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
When anyone else was watching this did they hear Optimus Primes voice? The game looks ok. Will need to download the demo to find out more.