Transformers 4 Will Star New Transformers

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
LOL... what the hell. People actually LIKE Optimus? Seriously, Any incarnation. How? Seriously Optimus is like... I dunno... a sullen sounding Hulk Hogan (IE Yellow N Red full on 80s cheese, say your prayers, eat your vitimins nonsense). Most of the autobots blow and deserve to be scrapped anyway. Now if they want to bring out say Grimlock I do not think anyone would protest in the slightest. MAYBE Ultra Magnus, but that would take some char overhaul and transplanting more char traits from wider source material like the comics and such.

LOL, Im all for a new cast, If its done in a logical manner and does not further undo what little shreds of continuity and cohesion the various arcs have, or if it was something done specifically to help bolster continuity cohesion.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Oh God, they're touching Stretch Armstrong now. Someone call social services, please!

Next thing you know they'll making a Boglins and Popples movie.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Grey Carter said:
Yet, despite the film's success, merchandise sales were down when compared to the previous film. Hasbro thinks the problem is that kids are just sick of Optimus Prime and co.
No, the problem is that no-one actually cares in the slightest about the films. I won't say they're bad, because they're actually pretty good for what they are - mindless action and explosions. That's what a lot of people want to watch, and it's clear that Bay caters to that want very successfully. But mindless action is only good while you're watching it. 5 minutes after leaving the theatre it will be completely forgotten. With no attempt at making any memorable characters or impactful scenes, there's absolutely no reason for anyone to care about any of it enough to want to buy related merchandise afterwards. Hell, most people won't even know what anyone other than Optimus Prime, Megatron and Bumblebee were called. If you want a successful franchise, you have to give people something they'll remember and care about after the film is over. You can't just distract them with flashy lights for a couple of hours and expect them to keep giving you money once the flashy lights have gone.

newdarkcloud

Aug 2, 2010
I guess someone didn't watch MovieBob's latest Big Picture, else they would know how stupid that course of action is.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Casual Shinji said:
Oh God, they're touching Stretch Armstrong now. Someone call social services, please!

A boglins movie? I remember those guys! Lets be honest though Shinji, Boglins are a much more logical source material for a movie than, say... Battleship, and they made one of that...

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Legion said:
The Human Torch said:
Maybe this has to do with the fact that if you already launched a Transformers action figure two times prior for each movie, most kids will already OWN an Optimus Prime figure and will want something else. No matter how good/bad your movies are, not many kids will buy the same action figure twice.
Good job I scrolled up before pressing post, you said exactly what I did.

Although if this is the kind of logic that leads to them creating new characters, just to sell some toys (as opposed to making the actual film good) then it's an idiotic idea.

At any rate:

The one thing I never understand is when you have such an enormous choice of readymade characters, they try to design new ones and those mostly always fail.

Anyway, I am not saying that I don't get their logica when it comes to new characters, but why would you completely dump one of the most iconic characters of the franchise simply to sell new toys. Why not keep some of the icons (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock) and then add new characters to the roster. I mean, you have the Combaticons, the Technobots, Springer, Blurr, the Terrorcons...there is SO MUCH CHOICE!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
The_Waspman said:
Casual Shinji said:

A boglins movie? I remember those guys! Lets be honest though Shinji, Boglins are a much more logical source material for a movie than, say... Battleship, and they made one of that...
After they've exhausted the 80's toys and cartoon franchises, they'll probably go after 80's pop hits.

I can't wait for Wake Me up Before You Go-Go the Movie.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
The Human Torch said:
Legion said:
The Human Torch said:
Maybe this has to do with the fact that if you already launched a Transformers action figure two times prior for each movie, most kids will already OWN an Optimus Prime figure and will want something else. No matter how good/bad your movies are, not many kids will buy the same action figure twice.

Although if this is the kind of logic that leads to them creating new characters, just to sell some toys (as opposed to making the actual film good) then it's an idiotic idea.

At any rate:

The one thing I never understand is when you have such an enormous choice of readymade characters, they try to design new ones and those mostly always fail.

Anyway, I am not saying that I don't get their logica when it comes to new characters, but why would you completely dump one of the most iconic characters of the franchise simply to sell new toys. Why not keep some of the icons (Optimus Prime, Bumblebee, Starscream, Megatron, Grimlock) and then add new characters to the roster. I mean, you have the Combaticons, the Technobots, Springer, Blurr, the Terrorcons...there is SO MUCH CHOICE!
I seriously doubt they would go into the later type of transformers that you listed, hell I would say that they barely even have the G1 types done right. I mean if the best they can do with Devastator is to make him into a giant vacuum cleaner then I don't want their writers anywhere remotely close to the newer stuff.

verindae

May 22, 2010
Space Jawa said:
verindae said:
Ok seriously, if there's one thing you absolutely can't remove from transformers it's Optimus Prime. Remember the first Transformers movie back in 1986? Yeah not gonna help sales that.

Also of note, Peter Cullen has an awesome voice lol
I thought the main problem with the 86 film was that they killed Optimus Prime (and kept him dead).

If he's not present to begin with, I don't think the lack of Optimus in and of itself should be nearly the same kind of issue.
That's a fair point but I think most fans are too attached to Optimus (doesn't matter which version), you could replace all of the others no worries, including the human element I'm sure, but I think they wanna be damned sure about the film they're making before they decide not to include him.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I really liked Optimus Prime in the Bay movies, he was the best damn character in all 3 films.

Just cut Bay loose, if it needs a new lease of life.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Legion said:
At any rate:

And you adde the part that I was going to say! :S

New characters for kids? That is what they went for in 2, and failed miserably...! :/

I thought kids liked bumblebee, and the break dancing guy, and the awsome jets and stuff!?

The Human Torch

Sep 12, 2010
Tiamattt said:
I seriously doubt they would go into the later type of transformers that you listed, hell I would say that they barely even have the G1 types done right. I mean if the best they can do with Devastator is to make him into a giant vacuum cleaner then I don't want their writers anywhere remotely close to the newer stuff.
They used Arcee and Barricade in the movies, they are both Gen 2 Transformers, so it has been done. Just that they sucked balls.
Wheeljack was especially craptastic in the last movie. An Einstein robot? Really? The writers of the Transformers script really tried to appeal to the most common of movie-goers.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
What would help the movies a lot more is if they focus. Tighten the script to have less juvenile jokes, and increase funny moments based around characters.

Pare down the sides to 4-5 characters a piece. Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, but also 2-3 more. Optimus, Bumble Bee, Bulkhead, Arcee, and Grimlock.

If you need humans, make them military. If you want to use military ordnance, you need a subplot that's pro military anyway, so do that. Ignore everything else.

Now, because I know that Platinum Dunes is reading these forums, I'm off to await their call.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I haven't seen Revenge of the Fallen in a few years, and just watched the third the other night, and I don't remember RotF being that bad. It (third) seemed to drag on way too much, and when it wasn't, it wasn't all that entertaining. Only good thing I could say is that Megan Fox wasn't in it, but it seemed like every time they showed her replacement they would just do it to show how hot she was. Unless he makes Bad Boys III, I probably won't watch another Michael Bay movie.

Roander

Dec 27, 2009
doctorwhofan said:
Hasbro needs to realise they should stop blaming Prime for Micheal Bay. At this point Starscream would be a better director.
Best director commentary Ever.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Legion said:
The Human Torch said:

At any rate:

You know, it wasn't until you posted that picture, I'd never really properly understood the complaints about the bayformers' aesthetic... after actually looking at those two for a minute it's pretty obvious what a fucking mess the designs are - just a jumble of polygons with no cohesion, rhythm or style. Impressive to be able to fuck up giant robots right from the get-go - who on the design team looked at these and went "yeah, that looks awesome!" ?