Treyarch Releases Major COD: Black Ops Patch

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Treyarch Releases Major COD: Black Ops Patch

Developer Treyarch has released a patch for the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Call of Duty: Black Ops to hopefully fix some issues with the game's wildly popular multiplayer.

Earlier this month, Treyarch community manager Josh Olin explained the lengthy procedure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105784-Treyarch-Explains-COD-Patch-Procedure] that it took to get a patch out the door in a game like Call of Duty, a process that could take over a month. Well, it's been just over a month for the insanely popular Black Ops, and Treyarch has rolled the patch out the door as promised.

The Xbox 360 and PS3 patches PC patch [http://twitter.com/JD_2020/status/14644101605494784] can all be found on the COD forums.

Hopefully, this patch will help address player concerns, though with a game as big and popular as Black Ops, it won't be long before someone discovers something new that doesn't work how the developers would have liked.

(Via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=280451])

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
That was fast... As compared to another game I know, which was supposedly released as a beta...

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
z3rostr1fe said:
That was fast... As compared to another game I know, which was supposedly released as a beta...
If you're referring to Fallout New Vegas, that particular patch was released on PS3s a couple of days ago and on Steam today, beating Black Ops to the punch.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
Ubisoft and Obsidian might learn something here.....
I also read that supressed snipers will insta-kill with a headshot, that's a big plus.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
z3rostr1fe said:
That was fast...
Yeah, I was about to say, this seems relatively fast in the grand scheme of things. Good thumbs up I reckon!

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Delusibeta said:
z3rostr1fe said:
If you're referring to Fallout New Vegas, that particular patch was released on PS3s a couple of days ago and on Steam today, beating Black Ops to the punch.
Fallout: New Vegas - Released on October 19th
Call Of Duty: Black Ops - Released on November 9th

No. They didn't.

OT: A damn shame I can't actually try it out now. I hope it fixes the "50 games found" problem.

I'll know once I renew Live.

scar_47

Sep 25, 2010
nice to see companies actually patching there games let us hope the trend continues

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
thefreeman0001 said:
sigh how many patches is this for the consoles versions of this game? the pc one is being left in the dust!
it hasn't. the post reads "360 patch, PS3 patch, and PC patch can all be found on the COD forums".

i wonder if they nerfed the FAMAS, it seems to be the choice of AS as it seems to kill people quicker then any other. and i'm speaking from experiance on both sides of the gun.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I long for the days when developers didn't need post-release patches.

When games were running smoothly on release.

With online play, patches are understandable. This is more against single player games.

Playing Dragon Age without an internet connection severely gimped my Rogue, thanks to the dexterity bug. And the regular freezing didn't help.

Still, good on Treyarch.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I long for the days when developers didn't need post-release patches.

When they checked out all this stuff in advance.
That was never. Before they just couldn't go back and fix stuff so people learned to deal with it.

Edit: Hmmm, you edited your post, lol. I guess I'll add, games require A LOT more code now then they did in the past. More code means more room for errors. Its just not realistic to expect a company to check everything before launch on todays games, if they waited until they were perfect, they'd all go the way of Duke Nukem Forever.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
thefreeman0001 said:
sigh how many patches is this for the consoles versions of this game? the pc one is being left in the dust!
Actually, from what I can tell the PC version has received more updates than either 360 or PS3, because Treyarch doesn't need to have the updates approved by Microsoft or Sony.

Drucifer

Oct 3, 2010
When did this patch go live? Last night, two friends and I were trying to make a private match, and it wouldnt let all three of us in. The game would keep telling the 3rd person trying to join that the requested game was no longer valid, even though we were playing with 16 more empty spots...

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
John Funk said:
Hopefully this patch will help address player concerns, though with a game as big and popular as Black Ops, it won't be long before someone discovers something new that doesn't work how the developers would have liked.
Something new that doesn't work as planned - how about the patch itself? Hasn't fixed the connection issues, now seemingly takes longer to find matches, quickscoping has "returned" and hardline pro has been nerfed.

This might actually might be the first game in years that I sell/trade in. It's all well and good rushing through patch after patch to fix the flaws apparent on release but if they don't actually fix things what's the point?

Choppaduel

Mar 20, 2009
Its so strange to see devs actually meet the dead lines they set for themselves. I'd be worried if I actually played/owned Black Ops.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
thefreeman0001 said:
I feel your pain. Seeing this just angers me. Consoles got so many more patches than PC did and still getting more?