Tribes: Ascend Review

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Oh yeah, one (two?) more thing(s) for the reviewer, in case hes going to play this game any further:

1) You might want to screw up your FOV to at least 90. It will give you an edge or at least put you on a level playing field. Unless your FOV is already high, I cant tell, because...

2) TURN ON SMALL WEAPON MODELS! Seriously, this is the first thing I would tell anyone who is getting started. On default the weapons really take up 1/4th of the screen, its ridiculous. Smaller models lowers that significantly, and you can actually see whats going on in the bottom right area of your screen.
Thanks, and yes I do plan to continue playing, which is probably the best praise I can give to any game I've reviewed.

Fayathon

Professional Lurker
Nov 18, 2009
admiraljustin said:
Fayathon said:
I still have my Starsiege: Tribes disc lying around here somewhere, and I remember it fondly. The only thing that this game needs to get as close to perfect as it can is proper voice chatting, I mean the mute is already in place, why not the voice?

And don't tell me that [VGS] covers it, [VGS] is annoying as hell IMO, regardless of its functionality. Still haven't figured out the command for enemy spotted @ location.....
Left-Alt is spotting. "Heavy spotted mid-field."

In mid-field: "POOTISPOOTISPOOTIS..." "oh god he's in the wrong game someone shoot him!"
I laughed harder than I aught have, and thanks, I didn't see the keybind for it.

PH3NOmenon

Oct 23, 2009
Zhukov said:
Uh... no. Being fast in the game is not hard. Hold down space and jetpack up inclines. Rocket science.

My complaint is that everything is so spread out. The empty open maps combined with fast movement mean that combat takes place at really long ranges with relatively slow moving projectiles. So you spend most of your time taking potshots at distant specks on your screen.

It's not just me. I've noticed that enemy players have an awful lot of trouble landing hits. Especially noticeable when I'm running off with a flag and there are four people miserably failing to hit me.

Hell, just look at the review video. He landed all of four hits on moving targets in the whole thing.
A couple of points: Holding down space and jetpacking up inclines is not going fast. When compared to the speed of a spinfuser assisted run, that's walking pace. Compared to an impact nitron boosted pathfinder, that's standing still. You really just GOTTO GO FAST.

Maps aren't particularly large in T:A. Well, obviously they're large, but considering you're zipping about them at Sanic the Edgehog speeds... It's just hard to complain about large empty maps when you can get from one edge to the other in about fifteen seconds.

That said, chasing an enemy flagcarrier is probably the hardest thing you can do in the game. It's also immensely satisfying to hear an enemy PTH yell [VGS] when you nail him with an impact nitron when he's speeding off at 200 kph. Few people in pubs have the skill to pull these things off. Luckily, on most maps a solid flag defence prevents this from really happening.

For those interested: have a look at Bowkoo's videos. They're really fun to watch and paint a neat picture.

This one has a sweet e-grab [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F77D6j_pccs]. And this [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck2DmQlRAqQ] one shows off some cool raider play.

And even if you don't like it overly much, it's still free. Signing up [https://account.hirezstudios.com/tribesascend/?referral=1536595&utm_campaign=email] for an account is all you really have to do to have a look at what's probably one of the more original and fluent FPS titles in recent years.

Irradiated Tiger

Feb 8, 2010
Justin enjoys the sneaky back-stabber...why am I not surprised.

Good review, I might just pick this up thanks to this.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Zhukov said:
Then you and other people suck ass. Deal with it and get better.

Or go play some game that makes use of hitscan, and have fun with that. But dont come bitching about how you actually need to *gasp* practice to get good in Ascend! What a terrible thing!
Ah yes, the "you just suck" defence. Always a classic. I like the "everyone sucks" variation though. Don't see that too often.
Yes, a classic, and one that holds true in this particular case.

"I am not to stricken with your darling game because I cant hit shit and modern FPS are usually so easy you can dominate within the first 5 minutes but I cant and it makes me so frustrated whaaaaaaa" - you, just now.

PS: The hitscan weapons do something like 5 HP damage per shot. Have fun needing 3 magazines to kill someone.
*looks at 450HP-damage-per-shot sniper rifle*

Yup, you clearly know what you're talking about.

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
God do I hate the Jackal. As the review it was pretty good. Just wondering how did you do that melee attack? I haven't seen that one before.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
poiumty said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Then you have no idea what you're talking about. If all you're doing is gener-hating, not only are you keeping forcefields down for your cappers, but if 4 or so techs decide to run in to repair the generator
And what if no one cares and 10 minutes later you end up with a 0-5 score with your amazing gener-hating? Sure has happened to me before.

What you're saying doesn't make sense. At the end of the day, all that matters is whatever classes cap the flag and whatever classes chase them or stop them from capping. Defenders cease to be an issue once you have the actual flag, and if 4 slow technicians chase you around it's the same as 0 slow technicians chasing you around. That's why a single good pathfinder can win the game for your team as long as he's better at what he does than the members on the enemy team. All he needs is am opposing team that spends the entire game trying to destroy generators and putting up a shoddy defense.

Killing generators doesn't win games, capping flags does. No matter how man people you strategically engage in keeping occupied.
Yes, the Pathfinder is the one who wins the game, but it's everyone else's job to make it as easy as possible for them to do this.

Those Techs might not be able to chase and take down your capper, but if 4 of them are in the gen room, that's 4 people who aren't repeatedly dumping light turrets on the stand. This means that the Pathfinder takes less damage when picking up the flag so chasers have to do more damage to kill him.

It's all very simple logic. Less players actively defending the flag means less people in the way of your team capping. I don't know how you don't understand this. I'm not saying everyone should be running for the gen, that's ridiculous and goes completely counter to what I said about Player-Advantage.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
Zhukov said:
Zhukov said:
Then you and other people suck ass. Deal with it and get better.

Or go play some game that makes use of hitscan, and have fun with that. But dont come bitching about how you actually need to *gasp* practice to get good in Ascend! What a terrible thing!
Ah yes, the "you just suck" defence. Always a classic. I like the "everyone sucks" variation though. Don't see that too often.
Yes, a classic, and one that holds true in this particular case.

"I am not to stricken with your darling game because I cant hit shit and modern FPS are usually so easy you can dominate within the first 5 minutes but I cant and it makes me so frustrated whaaaaaaa" - you, just now.

PS: The hitscan weapons do something like 5 HP damage per shot. Have fun needing 3 magazines to kill someone.
*looks at 450HP-damage-per-shot sniper rifle*

Yup, you clearly know what you're talking about.
Since the effect is immediate, the projectiles effectively travel at infinite speed and have a linear or otherwise simple trajectory ? a practical but very crude simulation of a bullet's speed and accuracy
Yes, it just so happens I do.
Em, none of the guns in the game do 5hp per hit is what he meant. He's wrong with the rifle cause it's 500-300 and generally speaking always 300 when it counts. Try hitting a target 400m away with a projectile rifle three times? never mind the fact that the UT engine can't actually handle a non-hitscan rifle.

The shotguns wouldn't be any different if they weren't hitscan of course, the Nova colt is terrible overall compared to the autoshotty so who cares and the eagle pistol is useful only for tapping the remaining few hundred hp off a close range target so you don't need to fusor them again, especially in MA.

The hitscans in the game are currently balanced just fine, but I think I tend to do far too well with the chaingun, N4J, Falcon and TCN4.

Unrelated: 120 fov is best, turn on weapon damage if it's off, lower the freakin shazbot volume and make sure you set the inversion of your shrike to your preference.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
Yeah, but can it compete with TF2? (or brink, but we never talk a out brink)
I'm not really sure why it ~should~ compete with TF2 as others have pointed out. TF2 mostly has pretty linear maps (particularly in payload and other attack/defence type maps), is much more horizontal in its nature except for a few classes and maps aside, and really is a totally different beast from TF2. If we really want to compare it because it has classes and team based gameplay you might as well compare Tribes Ascend to Battlefield 3, which would probably be more apt since both also have large maps and options for (near) flying experiences and high speed travel.

Long story short, they're different enough games that they'll have their own target audiences and people who do happen to enjoy both fill find the games different enough that one doesn't displace the other from their playlist.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
I'm not sure if it's the netcode or Europe-London server being horrible, but I was lagging like hell with 50 ping...

Wasn't very enjoyable.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
NightHawk21 said:
God do I hate the Jackal. As the review it was pretty good. Just wondering how did you do that melee attack? I haven't seen that one before.
The Assassin skin either has a custom animation or it's part of a fully unlocked Close Combat perk, hence how I was able to one-shot mediums.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
Just to add to the "omigod generator disco room"-discussion here: blowing up the generator is useful. Having your whole team working solely on blowing up the generator, isn't. Playing as a JUG/RDR, the two main options I have is taking out deployables outside the base by doing strafing runs as RDR or by firing my manly cluster bomb cannon as JUG, or I can get into their base and blow up the generator. The latter gives me lots and lots of points if I blow it up, and those classes are good at indoor combat as well. Blowing up a player deployable doesn't give me anything, not even the money I'd get for doing damage to a player. If I hit a player I get money, of course, but I still don't get that schweet delicious bonus I get from gener-hating.

Doing both of these things are useful for the team, but one of them has a great pay-off while the other has no built-in pay-off at all. You should either get damage money for deployables or have a class-specific accolade that lets classes that are good at taking out deployables(that is, JUG/RDR) get rewarded for doing just that.

Also? Hitscans sort of suck in this game. The sniper rifles are the only unarguably good hitscan weapons, but they're hard to use in a game where anyone either can take six shots before they fall over, or move so fast that it's really hard to hit them either way. Shotguns are situational and close-range only, pistols are good for finishing people off. Projectile weapons generally do most things better, and they're more satisfying to use. Plus, as a former Unreal player, I actually find them easier to use than the hitscans as well :)

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Then they should have made the game a 30$ purchase. Yes, they have to make money, but it would be nice if they could do so in a way that didn't require them to unbalance the game.[/quote]

Unlocking is actually very easy Ive found..they offer a free 250 gold right off the bat if you simply like their facebook page. So I bought myself the infiltrator, bought 2 weapon upgrades and 2 armor upgrades and Ive only played it for a few hours. Ive actually found the classes really well balanced that I have so far, and while everything is a bit expensive money to gold wise, it doesnt seem to be that hard to get xp.

Like I made about 1k XP every round, and played about 4-5 rounds in the past few hours to unwind. If you get better and if your team wins and youve been contributing, I can see it being pretty easy to unlock stuff you want.

Slycne said:
Tribes: Ascend Review

Tribes: Ascend manages to exist at the seemingly impossible intersection of nostalgia and freshness.

Read Full Article
Just a straight up thankyou from me for the review :) Downloaded it today and am actually really enjoying it. Ive been looking for a game to draw me away from Counterstrike Source and replace it as my standard play fps. Just having a game that makes camping near impossible, a stealth class that can go invisible and a steep difficulty curve is just perfect for me. Many thanks my fine sir.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Abedeus said:
I'm not sure if it's the netcode or Europe-London server being horrible, but I was lagging like hell with 50 ping...

Wasn't very enjoyable.
That's been an issue ever since Open Beta, the influx of players caused problems. They're looking into it. There's a thread on their forums if you feel like contributing your info.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
ResonanceSD said:
snip

Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D
Firefall's still in beta. Oceanic servers were TBA last I heard.

Agayek said:
ResonanceSD said:
Firefall has no aussie servers, this looks to be short-lived. I'm sticking to what I kniw is good :D
Think about it this way: Tribes is entirely free to play. It costs you literally nothing but some harddrive space to download the game and play it.

Then you can decide if you like it or not.
Same goes for Firefall and TF2. We can try them all for free but which one will reign supreme?

I'm not so confident in Firefall but I really hope it does well because the devs sent me a free signed poster. Tribes is crazy fun but they've borked the "micro" part of microtransactions. TF2 is just right but it's old and after more than 1000 hours I've moved on.

Zhukov said:
snip

PS. Tribes has hitscan weapons.
No it doesn't, the conventional weapons like assault rifles fire projectiles that follow the rules of velocity inheritance that apply to grace weapons like spinfusors. So in order to peg that Pathfinder with your flag who's zooming away at 300 kmph you've got to learn deflection shooting.

*I'm not including Shotguns because at the ranges they're effective at it hitscan is an effective approximation for projectile behavior. I think that leaves Eagle Pistols and Sniper rifles as the last functionally hitscan weapons. Pistols are only good for finishing off opponents and rifles have... other means of making things hard for the operator. (Also Nova Colt, bleh) The point is for almost all practical purposes Tribes Ascend is not about hitscan.

Droppin' truth bombs all up in this shazbot!

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Well I'm getting this then.

Enjoyed the old Tribes games and this looks just as good.