Triple-A games with nasty bugs

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
Portal 2's been pretty glitchy. Okay, it was three times. Twice was getting stuck in a wall in co-op.
But the kicker was when the final boss glitched...
For whatever reason, Wheatley's bomb shields never came down. This somehow prevented him from throwing bombs. This happened before I'd ever seen the boss, so needless to say I was confused when he was so proud of his bomb shields when no bombs were present.
I had to be killed by neurotoxin about five times before I considered it was a glitch, because the game must've autosaved after the glitch kicked in. Loaded the save before the boss, got back to the arena, down came the shields and off we went.

Still an absolutely awesome game and nowhere near as glitchy as Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Just more interesting than saying "Falout 3 and New Vegas" for the 30th odd time this thread.

0thello

Apr 2, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
highgamer said:
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

Most glitchy game i've played in my entire life.
Quoted for truth.

Fallout NV has got to be up there with the worst of them. It has come to a point where I will never buy anything from that company again.
Your loss man, but their's a new patch coming out this week.

It's going to be Fixing stability issues, something everyone has been hoping for since the game was released.
My loss? I don't think so brother. The only thing I 'lost' was time and money, which I luckily reclaimed by returning the game within a week and having it replaced by far superior products. It's been what? 6 months or so and Fallout NV is still a buggy P.O.S. I refuse to sit around like some dependent crack addict waiting for Bethesda and the rest of the game 'pushers' to get the forumla within their products right with post-release patching. It's an inconvenience that shouldn't be supported by gamers in the way it is. Everytime a game needs to be patched post-release, the company that is doing it should be held up to scrutiny for having to resort to doing so.

If you are forced to sit around waiting for patches to fix endemic glitches with post-release patches then you're a sucker.
- Cut-
Well whatever, it's your money and time. Me? Well I have as you said a low tolerance for buying broken stuff. The very idea that I should buy something broken and then wait for the company that sold me that broken stuff to fix it is ridiculous. Worse I should buy something broken, wait for the company who sold me something broken (they never released any information about the limitless bugs with the product itself), and that I should BE GREATFUL is by far the most ridiculous idea I've heard in a long time. It's also quite stupid to ask a customer to go 'make their own game' just because they were displeased for paying for a BROKEN one. That's like if someone was sold a cold happy meal at a Mc Donalds and when the customer made an ACCURATE observation that the meal itself was cold, some random jackass on the other counter starts telling them to go warm it up in a microwave.

Thank f**k Bethesda and Obsidian are smart enough to not do that. The reason why developers are releasing broken and buggy products by the truckload now is because of the high tolerance for it. I'm just glad we're able to return these broken products otherwise 6 months on we'd all might be on forums saying "next week they are going to fix it". Uuuugh... not for me... not for me.
Hey man, do you want some bread to go with that whine?
I think the words you were 'grasping' for was "cheese". However, that would be just as lame as your innitial response. It would also be just as irrelevant as if I asked you if you would like some lubricant to go along with your dick-riding of Bethesda.

But I'm better than that.

AlternatePFG

Jan 22, 2010
Tie between Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas. Fallout 3, CTD'ing every 30 minutes. For New Vegas, there were quite a few glitched quests, items and other stuff. Honestly, I love the games Obsidian makes, but they're just too damn buggy, seriously. Get a decent bug testing team.

Oblivion was okay bug-wise though.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
highgamer said:
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

Quoted for truth.

Fallout NV has got to be up there with the worst of them. It has come to a point where I will never buy anything from that company again.

It's going to be Fixing stability issues, something everyone has been hoping for since the game was released.
My loss? I don't think so brother. The only thing I 'lost' was time and money, which I luckily reclaimed by returning the game within a week and having it replaced by far superior products. It's been what? 6 months or so and Fallout NV is still a buggy P.O.S. I refuse to sit around like some dependent crack addict waiting for Bethesda and the rest of the game 'pushers' to get the forumla within their products right with post-release patching. It's an inconvenience that shouldn't be supported by gamers in the way it is. Everytime a game needs to be patched post-release, the company that is doing it should be held up to scrutiny for having to resort to doing so.

If you are forced to sit around waiting for patches to fix endemic glitches with post-release patches then you're a sucker.
- Cut-
Well whatever, it's your money and time. Me? Well I have as you said a low tolerance for buying broken stuff. The very idea that I should buy something broken and then wait for the company that sold me that broken stuff to fix it is ridiculous. Worse I should buy something broken, wait for the company who sold me something broken (they never released any information about the limitless bugs with the product itself), and that I should BE GREATFUL is by far the most ridiculous idea I've heard in a long time. It's also quite stupid to ask a customer to go 'make their own game' just because they were displeased for paying for a BROKEN one. That's like if someone was sold a cold happy meal at a Mc Donalds and when the customer made an ACCURATE observation that the meal itself was cold, some random jackass on the other counter starts telling them to go warm it up in a microwave.

Thank f**k Bethesda and Obsidian are smart enough to not do that. The reason why developers are releasing broken and buggy products by the truckload now is because of the high tolerance for it. I'm just glad we're able to return these broken products otherwise 6 months on we'd all might be on forums saying "next week they are going to fix it". Uuuugh... not for me... not for me.
I think the words you were 'grasping' for was "cheese". However, that would be just as lame as your innitial response. It would also be just as irrelevant as if I asked you if you would like some lubricant to go along with your dick-riding of Bethesda.

Ahem, you just mentioned it, so who has the moral high ground now.

ScoopMeister

Mar 12, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Dragon Age 2 is the only one that comes to mind for me--which I see you already mentioned--and the only bug in it that NEEDS to be fixed already (are you listening BioWare?) is the Merrill one. Everything else I can live with, but would still like fixed, but this one is bad. VERY VERY BAD!

Also, while it wasn't shipped with the bug, the update to Dragon Age Origins broke some of the trophies, and they STILL haven't fixed that.
What was the Merrill bug?

0thello

Apr 2, 2009
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
highgamer said:
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

Quoted for truth.

- Cut-

Mentioning that one COULD make a statement isn't the same as making that statement. Surely you're bright enough to know that.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
Jazoni89 said:
0thello said:
highgamer said:
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

Quoted for truth.

- Cut-

Mentioning that one COULD make a statement isn't the same as making that statement. Surely you're bright enough to know that.
You implied that comment, so.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
highgamer said:
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS

I've never had a single bug on FO new vegas
now fallout 3 for the 360, nothing but bug soup with a side of crispy bugs!

(and that is how I put it to their support team too!)

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
Fallout 3, Oblivion, and New Vegas.

I have never had to hard reset my PS3 so many times or dealt with so much freezing or frame rate drops as I have with those two games(New Vegas was the worst by a wide margin). They have permanently damaged my opinion of Bethesda and Obsidian. I want Skyrim to be good but I hold very little hope for it.

0thello said:

Hell yes my good sir, I agree with everything you've said.

I don't think it is to much to ask for that a product function when you buy it without having to wait weeks/months for patches.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Yes NV is buggy as hell, but none of these bugs were game breaking for me.
Dragon age 2 on the other hand broke on the last boss fight, first guardian statue just stood there without any health left and i couldn`t advance, i`m assuming that this happened because i didn`t finish avelines quest, whatever the reason was i couldn`t finish the game after spending around 40 hours on it. Also there was some weird stuff going on with Merill, one time i visited her she was crying like something horrible had happened, soon after something horrible did happen but then she didn`t seem to care, plus there was some issues with rivalry points, no matter how friendly the conversation was she soon become my biggest rival also somehow in a lesbian relationship with my hawke.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
ScoopMeister said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Dragon Age 2 is the only one that comes to mind for me--which I see you already mentioned--and the only bug in it that NEEDS to be fixed already (are you listening BioWare?) is the Merrill one. Everything else I can live with, but would still like fixed, but this one is bad. VERY VERY BAD!

Also, while it wasn't shipped with the bug, the update to Dragon Age Origins broke some of the trophies, and they STILL haven't fixed that.
What was the Merrill bug?
In the third act, Merrill's story about the mirror comes to an end. However, the bug makes it so, when you go to Merrill's house before the quest even starts, she's weeping over what happened at the end of the quest. Since a major event happens, it spoils the story when she sits there in tears, telling you about something that hasn't happened yet. May I assume that, since you didn't know what the bug was, that they've finally patched it? Or do you not have the game/own it on PC?

Seveneth

Master of Mediocrity
Aug 12, 2009
Fightgarr said:
As a QA tester, I can tell you right now, every bug that you've found, will have been found and bugged by the QA team. It is our job to bug everything, but devs waive a tonne of stuff, especially later on in the process. If you're finding this kind of bug, it's generally not because the testers didn't find it, or even that the devs were too lazy to fix it. It's that the release schedule was rushed. I can assure you, though, that if there's a bug that someone came across by accident, that broke the game, the testers almost definitely found, bugged it and either had it waived, or the devs didn't have time to fix it.
I know man, and I sympathise. One of the games I tested came so close to being released with a ton of bugs, and I was honestly surprised at the publishers for even considering it, but thankfully they saw reason and chose to delay it. By the time it actually came out it was much more stable and actually worthy of release.

I just wish this happened more often. Sure, having a game I'm looking forward to get delayed is frustrating, but at least when it does come out, its quality will be that much better. I hate looking at a game on my shelf and thinking "Well, I could play that, but it's so buggy right now. I should wait for the patch."

As a side note, from the replies I've seen in this topic, I'm now damn glad I didn't pick up New Vegas. It would probably have driven me insane.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
New Vegas doesn't actually glitch that much for me.

Fallout 3: The Pitt on the other hand, that was horrible. Which is a shame considering it was one of the only good things about Fallout 3.

AtheistAndProud

Apr 25, 2010
In Pokemon white, if two or more of my pokemon faint at once in a double or triple battle, the game locks and stubbornly refuses to let me send out another.
Thanks, game, I'll just restart from a half-hour ago, shall I?

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:

What are these merrill/isabela/sebastian bugs in DA2?

but on the note of DA2 on my rogue, dual wield, if i keep unsheathing my daggers eventually they got stuck so i was constantly in my 'battle ready pose' even while talking. was amuzing, was total troll-face. And when i ressed people they wouldn't go and fight. They'd sit there like they weren't in combat. They wouldn't take damage or anything. But to get around this you just use them and ker pow, you got someone who is invincible. Oh and my spirit mage Hawke won't take damage. He regenerates like half a bar missing within seconds of being hit.

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Seveneth said:
OK, so is anyone else getting thoroughly fed up with several recent AAA games getting shipped with bugs that, quite honestly, should not be in there?
Hell yes. Little bigs I can deal with. But gamebreaking bugs are unacceptable. Too many publishers and devs are talking the ability to patch games later too far and just pushing them out the door unfinished. Had they done that shit in any previous hardware generation, they would have been done for as their games would be buggy forever and nobody would buy them.
Yeah and look at DLC. Lets release a game early because our fans want it... then give 'bonus content' for an extra 10 bucks! making an overpriced 60$ game around 100$ (unless your on an xbox in which case i think the trophy system in that game is possibly one of the best thing ever)

Rayne870

Nov 28, 2010
Rachni in Mass Effect god damn those are nasty!

As for glitch type bugs...Dom's AI in Gears of War, seriously dude stop charging General RAAM on Insanity difficulty!

Seveneth

Master of Mediocrity
Aug 12, 2009
rekabdarb said:
What are these merrill/isabela/sebastian bugs in DA2?
The Merrill bug has already been explained in this topic - basically, when you visited her in Act 3, she talked about an event that hadn't happened yet. Then, when you visited her after the event, she said nothing.

Anyway, the Isabela and Sebastian bugs were to do with their friendship bonuses - they increase Hawke's attack speed when in the party. I forget the details, but basically, if they were removed from the party in a certain way, Hawke's attack speed would actually go down below its normal value. This was permanent and would happen every time you did it, so some people ended up with a Hawke that appeared to be attacking in sloooow mooootion.

Thankfully, both of these bugs have been patched out now. The point remains, however, that they shouldn't really have been in there when the game was shipped.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Veldt Falsetto said:
Any Bethesda titles? Need I say more?

Dragon Age: Origins had a horrible amount of bugs too.

And hey, doesn't the Call of Duty franchise hold some pretty nasty glitches?
First post always wins LOLz

Bethesda softworks + bioware =