Trump allegedly requests foreign election interference

Sep 24, 2008
New Ukraine revelations turn up heat on Senate trial showdown [https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/03/politics/donald-trump-impeachment-republicans-mcconnell/index.html]

New evidence showing Donald Trump's direct role in pressuring Ukraine for political favors is dialing up the heat as Republicans launch their New Year push to shield the President in a swift Senate impeachment trial.

Trump's top Senate protector, Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, is expected to attempt to define the next phase of the drama on Friday morning with his first floor speech of 2020. It was not clear whether the aftermath of the stunning US strike to kill Qasem Soleimani, Iran's top military and intelligence officer in Iraq, would change plans on Capitol Hill. The attack has the potential to scramble political calculations in Washington, in addition to its huge global implications.

Whenever McConnell plays his next card, he is expected to push back on demands by Democrats to call senior current and former White House officials to testify in the trial after the President refused to allow them talk to House investigators.

McConnell's speech will ratchet up pressure on House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who presided over Trump's historic shaming last month but tried to bolster Democratic demands for new witnesses by declining to transmit articles of impeachment to the Senate. That means the trial -- once expected to start as soon as next week cannot yet start.

And calls for the Senate to broaden the investigation are resonating amid recent revelations that appear to bolster the impeachment case that Trump froze military assistance from Ukraine partly to coerce it to dig for dirt on his possible 2020 election rival Joe Biden.

Documents reviewed by the "Just Security" website show that a top White House budget official made clear the order to halt nearly $400 million in aid came directly from the President.

The story suggests that there could be new and damning bombshells in piles of official evidence that the President has refused to hand over to the House investigation. It offers a rationale why the White House might be keen to get the Senate trial over quickly before even more damaging evidence emerges.

"As part of our impeachment inquiry, the House subpoenaed these very documents," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said in a statement on Thursday. "From their deeply incriminating character, we can now see why they were concealed: They directly corroborate witnesses who testified that military aid to Ukraine was withheld at the direction of the President and that the White House was informed doing so may violate the law."

But Republicans claim that it is not the Senate's job to improve the impeachment case sent over from the House -- and point to the failure of Pelosi to launch court challenges to compel senior White House officials who Democrats now want called to the Senate to testify in the House probe.

Critical Capitol Hill battles

While the Senate trial is almost certain to acquit Trump of high crimes and misdemeanors, the Capitol Hill exchanges in the next few days represent a vital twist in the story.

Both sides are playing a game within a game -- seeking to mold a public narrative about the trial which could have vital political consequences only 11 months from Election Day.

Democrats are seeking to convince Americans that the GOP is cooking the trial to shield an unchained President guilty of committing a dangerous abuse of power -- soliciting foreign interference in a US election.

Republicans, welded inexorably to their norm-busting President owing to his stranglehold on GOP voters, are framing Pelosi's refusal to hand over articles of impeachment as proof Democrats have a weak case no matter how convincing the evidence delivered in testimony by career foreign policy officials.

The showdown reflects how the adversarial grouping of lawmakers and voters into two rival teams threatens Congress' capacity to wield its own constitutional powers in a dispassionate examination of Trump's conduct and whether it is worthy of removal.
The areas Bolded are the ones I have the most issue with.

As it happens, I tend to agree with the Senate if this is their stance. Having not directly reading or hearing a Senator saying as such, I consider this conjecture. But reasonable conjecture seeing their actions. As such, It is not on them to strengthen the Democrats' case.

However, it is also not on them to directly sabotage the Democrats' case by siding with the Impeached due to political allegiances. They can not actively block the fact-finding process and then cry 'weak case' while specifically hamstringing the party.

And more over, I think this puts the "Transcript" into a different light. And frankly, we should stop calling it that. It's the Summary. Or the Paraphrasing. Verbatim, the real transcript might completely state out right that they will only get this aid if Ukraine does exactly what Trump wants. These unredacted emails lends more credence to that idea than anything else.

If you hide one thing, you hide others.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
"As part of our impeachment inquiry, the House subpoenaed these very documents," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff said in a statement on Thursday. "From their deeply incriminating character, we can now see why they were concealed: They directly corroborate witnesses who testified that military aid to Ukraine was withheld at the direction of the President and that the White House was informed doing so may violate the law."
If you ever wanted to know what gaslighting looks like, this is a great example. Trump ordering the freeze was never really disputed of concealed. Almost 2 months ago, a man from the Office of Management and Budget testified that he was instructed on July 19th by Trump's wishes to enact the hold, and also testified that he personally brought the legal issues to their legal counsel, who determined a short hold wouldn't violate the Impoundment Control Act. No new information came from these documents to incriminate Trump, but rather these corroborated that officials went through a reasonable deliberative process.

The other great gaslighting example I see going around claiming Republicans defend Russia. I was reading Time magazine and they claimed Trump and his defenders say Ukraine, not Russia, meddled in the election. That's just not reality. Nobody but Russia is claiming Russia didn't meddle in the election. Saying ukraine also did doesn't negate Russias actions. It's much like the Mueller report, when Trump said he didn't collude with Russia, and when the report shows all the bad things Russia did people say "ha, we told you Russia was meddling" as though Trumps involvement or lack thereof was never relevant to the accusation.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
tstorm823 said:
If you ever wanted to know what gaslighting looks like, this is a great example. Trump ordering the freeze was never really disputed of concealed.
First, that's not true. Read the emails -- which were previously REDACTED by Trump's DoJ because it knew how incriminating the documents were.
https://www.justsecurity.org/67863/exclusive-unredacted-ukraine-documents-reveal-extent-of-pentagons-legal-concerns/

Second, the concealment Schiff is specifically referring to -- and which you omit -- is the redacted emails JustSecurity published in full.

Once again, I ask you: what's your explanation for this?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Exley97 said:
First, that's not true. Read the emails -- which were previously REDACTED by Trump's DoJ because it knew how incriminating the documents were.
https://www.justsecurity.org/67863/exclusive-unredacted-ukraine-documents-reveal-extent-of-pentagons-legal-concerns/

Second, the concealment Schiff is specifically referring to -- and which you omit -- is the redacted emails JustSecurity published in full.

The White House has been withholding all materials without a court order, it's not a specific desire to hide this one thing. Read this testimony [https://www.npr.org/2019/11/26/782126028/read-testimony-of-white-house-budget-official-to-impeachment-inquiry] from November 16th starting about page 31, and tell me if there is any information in the emails that wasn't already known, because I'm not seeing anything new here.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
tstorm823 said:
Exley97 said:

The White House has been withholding all materials without a court order, it's not a specific desire to hide this one thing. Read this testimony [https://www.npr.org/2019/11/26/782126028/read-testimony-of-white-house-budget-official-to-impeachment-inquiry] from November 16th starting about page 31, and tell me if there is any information in the emails that wasn't already known, because I'm not seeing anything new here.
1) Again, that's false -- the White House has selectively turned over materials pertinent to this matter. But they've only done so when those materials have supported the GOP party line on the matter.

2) Yes, I've read summaries of Mark Sandy's testimony. He gave information about the timeline of events and how the funding was placed on hold, and the processes around that. He also testified that Michael Duffey, OMB's associate director of national security programs, told him Trump was holding the funding over concern about other countries not contributing more to Ukraine. That was obviously bullshit then, but now there's evidence that OMB knew it was bullshit and was lying all along.

3) Again, Sandy testified about how the funds were held up. The emails, which I suspect you have not read, show the Pentagon was putting significant pressure on OMB and the Trump administration to explain WHY they funds were being held, and that they would be in volation of the OMB General Counsel Paoletta's letter to Congress. The emails also show that OMB General Counsel Mark Paoletta's statement to Congress was a lie, and also implicates Mick Mulvaney in the cover up.

In fact, the bullshit excuses OMB was giving to the Pentagon over the hold up were *so bad* that Trump's own Deputy Under Secretary of Defense said -- and I quote -- "You can't be serious. I am speechless."

Sep 24, 2008
Exley97 said:
1) Again, that's false -- the White House has selectively turned over materials pertinent to this matter. But they've only done so when those materials have supported the GOP party line on the matter.

2) Yes, I've read summaries of Mark Sandy's testimony. He gave information about the timeline of events and how the funding was placed on hold, and the processes around that. He also testified that Michael Duffey, OMB's associate director of national security programs, told him Trump was holding the funding over concern about other countries not contributing more to Ukraine. That was obviously bullshit then, but now there's evidence that OMB knew it was bullshit and was lying all along.

3) Again, Sandy testified about how the funds were held up. The emails, which I suspect you have not read, show the Pentagon was putting significant pressure on OMB and the Trump administration to explain WHY they funds were being held, and that they would be in volation of the OMB General Counsel Paoletta's letter to Congress. The emails also show that OMB General Counsel Mark Paoletta's statement to Congress was a lie, and also implicates Mick Mulvaney in the cover up.

In fact, the bullshit excuses OMB was giving to the Pentagon over the hold up were *so bad* that Trump's own Deputy Under Secretary of Defense said -- and I quote -- "You can't be serious. I am speechless."
I think it's more important to point out the Cult's Constant Goal Post Moving.

-There was No Hold Up! Read the Transcripts! The Call timeline doesn't make sense to me. The Ukrainian President who desperately needs the aid and will say anything to save his country just said everything was cool, so why can't you just take his word?

-The WhistleBlower is giving out Third-hand information, how can we verify anything without knowing who said what with first hand knowledge?!

-The House's witnesses gave out second hand information. We haven't heard from the President or other first hand witnesses on what happened. The aid was held up only a little bit because the President is so interested in Corruption that he wanted to make sure things were cleaned up in the country. And Look, it was released! this seems to be a normal thing! The Democrats are trying to make something out of nothing because they can't win against Trump!

-Lee Parnas? How do you even spell that?! Anyway, so he says he has some info that he was doing stuff at Guiliani's behest. Fine, whatever. That's Guiliani. We don't know that Guiliani was acting on behalf of the President. For all we know, he was just doing it out of his own wishes. There has been no proof that Trump ordered anything!

-Ok, some scummy person asked for the emails. And that's really dangerous that anyone can see what goes on in the Government. But fine. I see some things that seem suspect, but I don't see anything that says Trump has anything to do with anything. In fact, I consider this a victory as no one stated they were doing this due to Trump's orders!

-This came from the President. We've known this. What does it matter?

The cult's stance on Reality was spelled out by Chico Marx Nearly Ninety Years Ago [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHxGUe1cjzM]:

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Exley97 said:
2) Yes, I've read summaries of Mark Sandy's testimony.
Read the actual testimony. The information is there. These emails add nothing.

Exley97_v1legacy

Jul 9, 2014
tstorm823 said:
Exley97 said:
2) Yes, I've read summaries of Mark Sandy's testimony.
Read the actual testimony. The information is there. These emails add nothing.
LOL...

Okay, I'm going to play your game -- Where is the information? Show me where Sandy says what Duffey cops to in the emails.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Exley97 said:
LOL...

Okay, I'm going to play your game -- Where is the information? Show me where Sandy says what Duffey cops to in the emails.
I have said, the relevant parts start at page 31. If you want me to find you something specific, you'll need a better description than what Duffy cops to. The supposedly incriminating parts of the email were saying to use discretion and being glad it was behind us, and I'd hardly call that copping to something

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
tstorm823 said:
The White House has been withholding all materials without a court order, it's not a specific desire to hide this one thing.
Why, though?

If they're all totally innocent and there's nothing to see here, there should be no problem supplying documents, testimonies and complying with subpoenas. And why are you and other Republicans so keen to support them evade transparency?

I mean, even just a few years ago when Obama was in power, there was all that talk about abuse of executive privileges. Hauling Hillary over the coals for not doing things by proper procedure. Where did all this assiduousness disappear to?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Agema said:
Why, though?

If they're all totally innocent and there's nothing to see here, there should be no problem supplying documents, testimonies and complying with subpoenas. And why are you and other Republicans so keen to support them evade transparency?

I mean, even just a few years ago when Obama was in power, there was all that talk about abuse of executive privileges. Hauling Hillary over the coals for not doing things by proper procedure. Where did all this assiduousness disappear to?
Mostly because screw the Democrats and this shallow, cynical political use of impeachment. The White House was challenging the sub poenas before Pelosi even voted to have an investigation to issue them. This impeachment is one of the dumbest moments in US history and doesn't deserve respect.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
tstorm823 said:
Mostly because screw the Democrats and this shallow, cynical political use of impeachment.
There are literally millions of people - implicitly over a hundred million in the USA alone, according to polls - who believe that there is very good evidence that the president has done something significantly wrong. This goes to public confidence in the system. Further to that, there are a large load of civil servants and legal experts who are also deeply concerned the president has done something seriously wrong, which reflects professional opinion. Putting this down to mere Trump hatred is not reasonable.

All the people you're arguing with here, for instance: we are not stupid, we are not hopelessly blinded by hate or political bias, and it is nothing short of showing contempt to think we can't even be allowed a thorough investigation. Letting potentially criminal activity slide because "fuck the opposition" is not reasonable or responsible.

It seems to me to be the antithesis of everything you, last year, were claiming were traditional Republican Party values of responsible, mature,sober governance. Those conversations where you argued Trump is a Democrat. And now you evidently seem to support your whole party being what you think the Democrats are like too. That suggests to me you don't really believe in those Republican values, you just want your side to win. (Fair enough, but you may as well just admit it.)

There is no better way to know the truth than to shine a light on it. Draining the swamp requires examining potential swamps. So let's do that, for heaven's sake. If Trump did do it, even then the Senate can just acquit him anyway - for instance that "it isn't serious enough" - because its their prerogative.

But simply refusing to even take a proper look... how is that any principle of justice, good governance, responsibility, accountability? Surely these should be bread and butter principles of left or right, of any good citizen.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
tstorm823 said:
Agema said:
Why, though?

Mostly because screw the Democrats and this shallow, cynical political use of impeachment. The White House was challenging the sub poenas before Pelosi even voted to have an investigation to issue them. This impeachment is one of the dumbest moments in US history and doesn't deserve respect.
Just because the Dems are wrong and evil doesn't make Trump right and righteous.

Just like we all know that the Impeachment won't pass the Senate. The sides are already been picked.

But this process is releasing a whole bunch of information that both sides want ro hide. Which is absolutely fabulous. The more the electorate knows, the better

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
Agema said:
There are literally millions of people - implicitly over a hundred million in the USA alone, according to polls - who believe that there is very good evidence that the president has done something significantly wrong. This goes to public confidence in the system. Further to that, there are a large load of civil servants and legal experts who are also deeply concerned the president has done something seriously wrong, which reflects professional opinion. Putting this down to mere Trump hatred is not reasonable.
Literally millions of people, including legal experts and civil servants, draw their opinions directly from the headlines of the New York Times. It doesn't reflect professional opinion that people now are questioning that when the news told them to.

It does reflect professional opinion that civil servants thought there might be a problem and sought legal counsel before going through with Trump's requests. It also reflects professional opinion that they were advised to proceed with the requests. You can't ignore that the people ultimately responsible for enacting Trump's wishes considered all these questions before doing anything. And that opinion is worth 1000x more than someone trying to be a pundit months later.

All the people you're arguing with here, for instance: we are not stupid, we are not hopelessly blinded by hate or political bias, and it is nothing short of showing contempt to think we can't even be allowed a thorough investigation. Letting potentially criminal activity slide because "fuck the opposition" is not reasonable or responsible.
I'm not against a thorough investigation, I feel I've said that several times, but House Democrats aren't trying for a thorough investigation. It's less so screw them for investigating than it is screw them for not investigating. The first person to send the question of House subpoenas vs executive privilege to the courts last year was a man named Charles Kupperman, just trying to get a judge to decide the question in a way that protected him from legal and professional recourse. They scheduled the hearing in December, so House Democrats promptly withdrew the subpoena and moved to have the case dismissed because there was no subpoena anymore. The case was dismissed [https://www.courthousenews.com/former-national-security-official-loses-fight-over-house-subpoena/] in part because the House and President wanted it dismissed (against the continued insistence of Kupperman that there be an answer), but also because the question was made moot because articles of impeachment were already voted on. And what was half of those articles? Obstruction of Congress for not complying with subpoenas.

Do you realize the level of insanity here? They charged the president for the crime of not complying with subpoenas while actively lobbying the courts not to answer the question of whether they have that power. The House Democrats are not trying to be thorough, they are not trying to be just, they are not trying to be responsible. All they are doing is trying to gain power for themselves. That's it. So again, screw them.

It seems to me to be the antithesis of everything you, last year, were claiming were traditional Republican Party values of responsible, mature,sober governance. Those conversations where you argued Trump is a Democrat. And now you evidently seem to support your whole party being what you think the Democrats are like too. That suggests to me you don't really believe in those Republican values, you just want your side to win. (Fair enough, but you may as well just admit it.)
The whole party isn't doing that, just Trump. House Republicans haven't been protesting Democrats' subpoena power, they've been protesting their lack of subpoena power. Trump is the one telling people not to cooperate, but again, Trump acts like a Democrat so of course he is.

I don't think they should be ignoring subpoenas or withholding evidence. But I don't think you're really asking me that question, because you've asked it plenty of times and I've answered that I agree with the investigation, I think more than once. I agreed from the get-go that a thorough investigation was called for, so I highly doubt you think I'm against it. I think the real question you want answered is "why does tstorm823 not seem to care about Trump not cooperating with the investigation", and to that I refer back to "screw the Democrats". They aren't trying to really investigate, so as far as I'm concerned he isn't obstructing an investigation. And Trump's tactic of ignoring them and doing what he wants is straight from their playbook. He's ignoring valid subpoenas, the court would almost certainly decide to enforce them, but that would set a precedent that would work against Democrats in the future. It's not a great look for House Democrats if the court decides Trump can ignore subpoenas, but it's even worse for them in the long run if the opposite happens because they lose their ability to ignore Republicans when the roles are reversed. Trump ignoring subpoenas sets the stage for answering a legitimate constitutional question about the roles of House oversight and executive privilege. And now they aren't even going to answer it. And I cannot emphasize this enough, screw the Democrats.