Trump's Plan to Bypass the Popular Vote

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
*"Sources in the Republican Party, at both state and national levels, say that the campaign is considering a plan to "bypass" the popular vote results and install its own electors in key battleground states where the legislatures are controlled by Republicans. "

*"Republicans control both legislative bodies in the six closest battleground states: Arizona, Florida, Michigan, North Carolina, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. Of those six, both Arizona and Florida have Republican governors.

After the national election, the plan goes, the Trump campaign would cry foul about rampant fraud and demand that state legislators ignore the ballot tabulations and choose their electors directly. If the campaign can sustain doubt or confusion about the ballot count, legislators will feel more and more pressure to take up the responsibility before the Dec. 8 deadline when electors' names are sent to Congress for verification."

So since GOP voter suppression obstacles are being bypassed by mail in voting, Trump wants to instead replace electors with Trump loyalists who will only vote for him. It seems at this point, there are no lengths he will not go to undermine the election. This also goes to show WHY local and state elections are so important here. Bernie keeps telling us how vitally important these local, state and congressional elections are and he is right. If we fail to control the state legislatures, we cannot control anything and our efforts will be repeatedly and continually undermined.

Last edited:

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
*"Sources in the Republican Party, at both state and national levels, say that the campaign is considering a plan to "bypass" the popular vote results and install its own electors in key battleground states where the legislatures are controlled by Republicans. "
This is undoubtedly not a feasible plan unless there is a very close result and a lot of chaos with recounts: even most Republican voters would see it as cheating and enough find it intolerable that it would damage the party for years. It would also potentially break the county: shatter the USA's cohesion not just because of the abuse to the democratic rights of the citizens of those states, but the outrage to the rest of the USA that voted Democrat. There will be mass riots, and it is pretty much inconceivable the existing presidential electoral system would survive the insult. Some victories are not worth the cost.

If Trump is behind in the electoral college even were close states declared by popular vote bypass, it would not even be attempted. If bypassing the popular vote could turn enough states to give Trump the election, it could only realistically be done in states where Trump were ahead at the point voting hit a snag and enough votes counted.

So a "Florida 2000" mark II might work, where it hinges on one state where Trump looks ahead. But three or four states showing apparent Biden majorities? It's surely not happening.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I like how if you read this in a vague enough sense, it's just a menacing description of the actual election laws.

Reactions: Specter Von Baren

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
There will be mass riots, and it is pretty much inconceivable the existing presidential electoral system would survive the insult.
I don't know, are people really going to riot for Joe Biden? That seems optimistic.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
I don't know, are people really going to riot for Joe Biden? That seems optimistic.
I think they'll riot for a stolen election. The Belarusians tired of that shit, and they don't even have a democratic tradition.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
This is undoubtedly not a feasible plan unless there is a very close result and a lot of chaos with recounts: even most Republican voters would see it as cheating and enough find it intolerable that it would damage the party for years. It would also potentially break the county: shatter the USA's cohesion not just because of the abuse to the democratic rights of the citizens of those states, but the outrage to the rest of the USA that voted Democrat. There will be mass riots, and it is pretty much inconceivable the existing presidential electoral system would survive the insult. Some victories are not worth the cost.

If Trump is behind in the electoral college even were close states declared by popular vote bypass, it would not even be attempted. If bypassing the popular vote could turn enough states to give Trump the election, it could only realistically be done in states where Trump were ahead at the point voting hit a snag and enough votes counted.

So a "Florida 2000" mark II might work, where it hinges on one state where Trump looks ahead. But three or four states showing apparent Biden majorities? It's surely not happening.
Think about this though:
1)He has let the military know that he plans on using them to " dominate the streets" against the protesters.
2)He is laying groundwork to declare the election a fraud if he doesn't win outright.
3)Swing states ARE swing states because they are usually roughly half Democrats half Republicans, thus if he replaced all the electors in that state with loyalist, he voids the democratic popular vote entirely as the state goes to the republicans because they control the state legislature.
4) I don't think republicans much care anymore what " damage" they are doing to their party as long as they get their way. Look at everything else they have done since Trump took office. Hell, they do not even care that they are causing like 30-40 million evictions right now. If they did, they would have passed a relief bill months ago. Without that unemployment check boost the GOP refuse to pass, the evictions would happen regardless. They already know the wealthy are their only concern and everyone else is too stupid to care one way or the other what they do and will vote for them regardless. They already lost everyone who actually pays any attention to how their actions affect them, everyone else is just on the bandwagon and could care less about what the damage being done here.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Think about this though:
1)He has let the military know that he plans on using them to " dominate the streets" against the protesters.
I think in the case of a contested election the military would tell Trump to go blow a goat.

2)He is laying groundwork to declare the election a fraud if he doesn't win outright.
I think he'll throw a load of legal chaff if it's very close. At the moment, however, it's looking more like he's going to lose by over 100+ college votes. In terms of "safe" states (i.e. Biden is 5% up or better), Biden's currently over 270 already, and if this is maintained it's extremely unlikely any of these states would be vulnerable to being overturned. Currenly Biden's also looking better than evens to pick up OH, FL, AZ and NC as well, which would make it a rout.

3)Swing states ARE swing states because they are usually roughly half Democrats half Republicans, thus if he replaced all the electors in that state with loyalist, he voids the democratic popular vote entirely as the state goes to the republicans because they control the state legislature.
I'm far from an expert in this, but as states do have laws regarding the electors and I am extraordinarily doubtful these could be overridden so arbitrarily. Never mind whether all these legislators and governors actually have the guts to do it, no matter what Trump would like. Like I said, morally this would be outright cheating on a jaw-dropping scale, and everyone would know it.

4) I don't think republicans much care anymore what " damage" they are doing to their party as long as they get their way. Look at everything else they have done since Trump took office. Hell, they do not even care that they are causing like 30-40 million evictions right now. If they did, they would have passed a relief bill months ago. Without that unemployment check boost the GOP refuse to pass, the evictions would happen regardless. They already know the wealthy are their only concern and everyone else is too stupid to care one way or the other what they do and will vote for them regardless. They already lost everyone who actually pays any attention to how their actions affect them, everyone else is just on the bandwagon and could care less about what the damage being done here.
I think the mainstream Republican establishment might actually be very happy to be rid of Trump.

Reactions: SupahEwok

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
This is why I hope he dies of Corona tbh. Anything to avoid a civil war right now.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Q
I think in the case of a contested election the military would tell Trump to go blow a goat.

I think he'll throw a load of legal chaff if it's very close. At the moment, however, it's looking more like he's going to lose by over 100+ college votes. In terms of "safe" states (i.e. Biden is 5% up or better), Biden's currently over 270 already, and if this is maintained it's extremely unlikely any of these states would be vulnerable to being overturned. Currenly Biden's also looking better than evens to pick up OH, FL, AZ and NC as well, which would make it a rout.

I'm far from an expert in this, but as states do have laws regarding the electors and I am extraordinarily doubtful these could be overridden so arbitrarily. Never mind whether all these legislators and governors actually have the guts to do it, no matter what Trump would like. Like I said, morally this would be outright cheating on a jaw-dropping scale, and everyone would know it.

I think the mainstream Republican establishment might actually be very happy to be rid of Trump.
I think the military will likely do as they are ordered, and if they do not he kicks them out of the military until he has enough people willing to do so as he is actually the commander of the military until a new president is sworn in and we have an existing precedent of the military being used against protesters repeatedly throughout our history. The military would have to prove grounds for it being an unlawful order,. the problem is it wouldn't be under the insurrection act.

I do believe he may be correct in that the state legislatures can replace the electors, so it is a genuine concern we may be forced to address. I hope not, but look at everything else we hoped he wouldn't do that he has already, so I wouldn't put it past him. Whether or not the state legislatures will cooperate is another matter, but if they are anything like the GOP in congress, the tend to fall in line pretty easy at this point. I HOPE the GOP is sick of him, but thus far, they haven't done anything to show it. Talk is cheap, their actions have shown us otherwise.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Ah yes. I love hearing from "sources" for my information.
The reality is though at this point we are not lacking for GOP sources considering the "parade of Trump officials" that have been coming forward as of late, so it should not surprise you that there are plenty of legitimate sources telling us these things at this point. Keeping in mind, Trumps former Chief of staff for Homeland Security, already told us there were numerous officials STILL working in Trump's administration that have been in contact with him and are worried about his plans for November. We have had a parade of Trump's "best people" telling us he is dangerous and unfit for office and needs to be removed from office, yet you still want to claim this to be unlikely sources. This isn't even the worst he has said or done at this point. Why would you even be surprised? Have you just been ignoring everything his own administration officials have been telling us this entire time?

You expect those currently working in trumps administration telling us this to be named? That would be a dumbass move. Why would they do that, then they wouldn't even be able to tell anyone what was happening anymore.

Last edited:

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
I like how if you read this in a vague enough sense, it's just a menacing description of the actual election laws.
I love how little you believe in any kind of democracy

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
At least Wisconsin election officials are already saying the GOP cannot do that there, though that doesn't stop them from trying and forcing it into Trump's stacked courts.

Trump and the GOP stacked the courts just for this..

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I don't think he can do that, aren't electors chosen by the parties?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
The reality is though at this point we are not lacking for GOP sources considering the "parade of Trump officials" that have been coming forward as of late, so it should not surprise you that there are plenty of legitimate sources telling us these things at this point. Keeping in mind, Trumps former Chief of staff for Homeland Security, already told us there were numerous officials STILL working in Trump's administration that have been in contact with him and are worried about his plans for November. We have had a parade of Trump's "best people" telling us he is dangerous and unfit for office and needs to be removed from office, yet you still want to claim this to be unlikely sources. This isn't even the worst he has said or done at this point. Why would you even be surprised? Have you just been ignoring everything his own administration officials have been telling us this entire time?

You expect those currently working in trumps administration telling us this to be named? That would be a dumbass move. Why would they do that, then they wouldn't even be able to tell anyone what was happening anymore.
I have a list of communists in the government right here! I got it right here but I can't show it to anyone!

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I'm a Republican in a republic. Why would one expect me to believe strongly in democracy? I'm quite supportive of the systems that mitigate the questionable bits of democracy.