Trying to pick song to sing for a friend's birthday.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Hey so sorry I haven't been on in a while. I've been really busy now that I'm working and studying I don't have time to do much on the Escapist except browse a few videos, Critical Miss and of course the news, well... "news".

Anyway, my friend and I were trying to pick a song to sing for another friend's birthday. We're both kind of hopeless singers but it's the though that counts. A quick description of our friend;

Female, turning 21, does teaching and fine arts, is an English tutor, came from a poor background but has done really well for herself, remarkably intelligent but dumb (if that makes sense), quite traditional and has very fairytale book ideals, dated a complete asshole for a few years, a bit of a social hermit, every single one of her guy friends (myself included) has fallen for her at some point, really attractive and her favorite bands range from Matchbox 20, Radiohead and Muse to Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Lady GaGa.

EDIT: She can also sing and paint really well.

So any suggestion of songs?

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Billska said:
How about happy birthday?
Haha yeah obviously, but we have the sound systems at the place we're celebrating her birthday, we thought we might just make use of it and deliver something a bit special.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Mudze said:
Don't sing, just play his favorite song.
She's a bit fickle, her favorite song, movie, color or book changes every season. She's the kind of person who will remember experiences that are interesting and unique more than those that are appealing to her immediate sensibilities.

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
DoW Lowen said:
Billska said:
How about happy birthday?
Haha yeah obviously, but we have the sound systems at the place we're celebrating her birthday, we thought we might just make use of it and deliver something a bit special.
A bit cliche but you could play/sing her favourite song.
That or the portal song.

RSGstyle

Dec 16, 2010
You aren't going to be the life of the party by singing any songs from her favorite bands I am afraid... 'cept Radiohead.

Fine Arts? English Tutor? I'd sing any songs from Weird Al Yankovic.

Hopeless singers singing funny songs = Hilarious

Hopeless singers gargling classics = Uncomfortable and makes me cringe thinking about it

iLikeHippos

Jan 19, 2010
Ooowwww... Bad singers? And you plan to sing for her?
Better make it in a drunken stupor, cause this shit won't fly otherwise!

I kid, I kid... mostly

OT; Why not Creep by Radiohead? Easy target as it's
a) easy to sing
b) top hit of Radiohead (or at least in the compound of Spotify)
c) doesn't need an entire band behind your back to sing

Though, it might be off the point. Oh well. I'm not one of those folks who SURPRISE and make people happy anyways, even when I try.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
RSGstyle said:
Hopeless singers singing funny songs = Hilarious

Hopeless singers gargling classics = Uncomfortable and makes me cringe thinking about it
This guy gets it. It doesn't have to be funny though, just not a song that can only sound good if the singers can pull it off. Although we're going to be surrounded by friends, there are no cameras with an audience at home ready to vote us off, so it will be a relaxed atmosphere (mostly) and of course everyone will be a bit drunk so shouldn't be too bad.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
iLikeHippos said:

I kid, I kid... mostly

a) easy to sing

Though, it might be off the point. Oh well. I'm not one of those folks who SURPRISE and make people happy anyways, even when I try.
We were thinking that, but me and her have a bit of say... an awkward history, so I'm trying to avoid the romance as much as possible. But thanks for your suggestions.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I've got a few...

Or maybe some Dethklok...<.<

but if she likes Radiohead... maybe Fake Plastic Trees?

or for Matchbox 20... 3 A.M.
or How Far We've Come...

Maybe some Nirvana if you're not exactly a vocal Power House... their slower stuff can sound good acoustically...
even their faster stuff with the right instruments...<.<

Codeknight

Oct 20, 2008
Theres this great song called "Never Gonna Give You Up" by a fellow named Rick Astley you should try that ;). But in all seriousness if neither you, nor your other friend are that great at singing I'd try to find something else that would be better suited for your talents. Friends do get some leeway when it comes to bad singing though, and so do intentionally poorly sung songs for comedic/ironic value. So if you gotta sing, make it funny.

DoW Lowen

Exarch
Jan 11, 2009
Sacman said:
I've got two...

That was... fucking hilarious. I don't care if I don't find a song, those videos were worth the thread.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
DoW Lowen said:
Sacman said:
I've got two...

That was... fucking hilarious. I don't care if I don't find a song, those videos were worth the thread.
I edit in some actual songs just in case someone found those offensive... too...<.<

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
How about Minnie the Moocher?

You could derive alternative meanings from the lyrics (e.g. ignore the drug references) and make it apply to her... plus it's a really fun song to sing.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Nouw said:
Sacman said:
or How Far We've Come...
My pick, lovely song for your friend's supposed background.
Not hard at all either... though I don't know how appropriate a song about paranoia regarding the end of the world is for a birthday...<.<

dday4you

Jun 11, 2008
iLikeHippos said:

I kid, I kid... mostly

a) easy to sing

amen
how about the portal song?
there's reference to cake

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Sacman said:
Well. Ninja'd. That was my instant thought the second I saw the thread.