Tsunami "payback" for Pearl Harbour

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Toriver said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
I never said there are no stupid people in the UK, I'm saying that I have never seen anything quite this bad from the residents of any other country, and if I have, it's been more than obvious that the people involved are joking, which I don't think is the case here.
But that still implies that you hold the notion that only Americans are capable of taking such stupid comments seriously, which is a misconception that I'm trying to clear up. You mention that when people of other nationalities say things like this, you believe it's obvious they're joking. Well, perhaps, does it ever occur to you that:
A) People of other nationalities might NOT be joking
or
B) Americans may be joking too?
I'm just saying that the way you're describing your thought process comes off as a bit discriminatory when you read these kinds of things. It makes you sound as if some disaster struck Germany and you saw British comments like these saying "Take that you Germans, that's karma for the London bombings! Give 'em hell, nature!" you would assume it's a joke while here, you assume they mean it. That's kinda discriminatory, isn't it?

Also, lets think about this for a minute. Yes Pearl Harbor sucked, but Japan had the two nukes, we had the Blitz, Russia had Stalingrad, Germany had Dresden. In regards to loss of innocent lives any damage to infrastructure, America got off pretty lightly out of WW2 compared to everybody else. So why have so many Americans not got over it yet when the rest of the world has had to. That's what WE'RE upset about.
I'm not defending any part of what they're saying at all, and agree that it is absolutely despicable. I hope I don't sound like I am trying to defend their ideas. I'm just asserting the point that it really doesn't take a special kind of person to be such an asshole.
Response to part 1:
If any British person ever said that. No, I wouldn't just assume they were joking. What I was saying is that I can honestly never imagine anyone EVER saying that! I was referring to what you said about some people claiming America should be recolonized. THAT sort of thing more often than not is just someone joking. It may not be a very funny joke, but at least there is no real malice behind it.

I don't hate America, honestly I don't. But this is more than just my reaction to this particular incident, this is all the collective anger of every time I have witnessed shit like this going critical in my head. We (as in Britain) are the ones who always stand by America and always help you out, even if there's noting in it for us, and why? So we can hear stuff like this? So we can be tarred with the same brush as America by the rest of the world? So we can be accused of not doing enough to help you out in Iraq/Afganistan when we are pushing ourselves beyond our limits? So we can endure all the "we saved you're ass in WW2" bullshit when it's not even true? So American tanks and Air Force can kill several British soldiers in friendly fire incidents and then blatantly not give a single shit, but when 1 RAF pilot makes 1 mistake and hits a US position in Helmand, killing 1 soldier, and then suddenly there are SEVERAL people in your country ACTUALLY SUGGESTING that AMERICA INVADE BRITAIN IN REVENGE?!

Honestly why? Answer me why we put up with America any more? This may be one isolated case of a few arseholes living up to their name, but how many more isolated cases are there going to be before it's the final straw?

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
I suppose you've never heard of Hiroshima and Nagasaki?

You already got revenge for Pearl Harbour, trading a military attack with 2 nuclear holocausts against civilians. Aka the american dream.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Hooray! We've stumbled upon the incredibly rare occurrence of people making stupid and/or politically incorrect statements, let's all agree that we're better than them and use this as an opportune moment to get blustery!

CarlMin

Jun 6, 2010
I can only hope that this is a joke. I mean, nobody would seriously say something like that and mean it? I'd like to think of this thread as a tread about a surprisingly stupid joke, but thanks God, not an actual spreading opinion.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Most people are just born idiots I guess. It is sad when a natural disaster is treated as a good thing because of something that happened quite a few years ago.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
aegix drakan said:
........Ok, that's just disgusting.

Also didn't the US already get their payback when they NUKED TWO INNOCENT CIVILIAN TOWNS?!

...Think the world forgot about THAT?
They were Industrial towns (like London was) and would have been carpet bombed if they were reachable without heavy losses (like when England was bombing German targets). Kyoto and some other cities were taken off the inital LONG list due to lack of military importance and presences of historic structures.
They didn't choose the cities randomly, since before the war both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were developing as massive hubs for heavy industry and the plants there were shifted from their original production to producing weapons of war (like many industrial cities in Europe). As stated before they weren't previousy hit because they could easily be hit, but one plane getting through was easily done and the weapon would have a strong enough impact to make it a worthwhile endevour.

Also, I want to keep it short so no long details, about half the deaths taking Okinawa islands were civilians (men and women) TAKING up arms of their own free will and charging american lines with the INTENT to kill. There was no reason to believe that the same would not happen when invading the main islands and the decision was made to avoid an invasion for both the sake of american lives AND the lives of japanese civilians.

Wars are much more complex than people realise and when the people of the day made their choices it was without the profit of hindsight (what we use to judge their decisions on) and normally done in the interest of reducing losses in one way or another, to the best of the ablities of the time.

sapphireofthesea

Jul 18, 2010
As for my view on the present madness of earthquake being payback. The war is over, both countries have moved on and made up and that is enough. People are just being stupid, but it is their right to (free speak and all). I just choose to ignore them myself.

Xcelsior

Jun 3, 2009
I don't have facebook but I've seen people's screenshots of people's status' saying something along those lines. It just shows how many idiotic people in this world still exist and calling a natural disaster payback only proves my point.
Do they forget to remember the nukes that America dropped on Japan?

Grimrider6

Aug 27, 2008
Jabberwock xeno said:
Just get's worse and worse:

This was determined to be fake. The background in the picture shows the Gundam in Odaiba, its original location. It was since moved to Shizuoka, far from the epicenter of the earthquake, where it remains standing. The after photo there was taken during the Gundam's disassembly for transport to its new location.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
You would have thought that horrifically obliterating two major cities would be "payback" enough, but I suppose that's the thing with racism: it constantly has to justify itself, else it sees how stupid and unreasonable it is.

You've also got to love how these people will quite likely be watching the news coverage on their Japanese televisions and ranting about it via their Japanese computers...

In conclusion, racists are ignorant and I think we Escapists need not pay them any heed. Until they start to act upon their prejudice, THEN it's a very serious issue.

Aur0ra145

Elite Member
May 22, 2009
Jonabob87 said:
If this has already been brought up, do forgive but this has been brought to my attention:

*Link removed* (by the OP) People are sending messages to Facebook accounts apparently and that's also out of line.

Apparently there is a fair amount of Americans claiming that the Tsunami currently ravaging Japan can be seen as payback for an attack in WW2.

"getting a little more payback for peal harbour. they thought we forgot about that BS, didn't they?"

"Remember pearl harbour? Go tsunami go!"

Only two brief examples of a torrent of idiotic comments that seriously make one wonder where people get this crap from.

What are your thoughts, Escapists?
Seriously? The war ended a long time ago, do people for get we firebombed their population and finally nuked them, TWICE!

Japan has more than paid for their hand in WWII. So evening mentioning that the Tsunami is payback is ludicrous, racists and ignorant.

Also, I don't believe that a 'fair amount of Americans' are taking to this idea of Pearl Harbour payback. Most likely it's a few kids on Facebook that think it's funny to troll you with it.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Jammy2003 said:
brumley53 said:
Eico said:
Woodsey said:
Eico said:
cyrogeist said:
Dude...people are assholes and besides...weren't the NUKES payback?
That was more like revenge than retribution.
Can we clear this up: Hiroshima and Nagasaki are far more complex issues than people on this thread are making out. They quite arguably saved far more lives than they took.

[sub]Note that I'm not condoning either event, just pointing it out.[/sub]
They are more complex. But the loss of life is never good.

The U.S was as big a monster as the enemy they were fighting.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

The U.S. where the ones that kept this really hushed up as to not shame the country of Japan, Trust me those Nukes were no where near as bad as what Japan did in WW2.

I don't agree that "the tsunami is payback" but seriously Japan was as bad if not worse than Hitler and the Nazi's in WW2.
Not gonna lie, they were pretty horrific, but 2 words:
Guantanamo Bay

America is just as crap as most countries, hideous things happen in war and you could find an example of that for just about any country around. There is no excuse for this, Japan didn't gloat over Katrina (to my knowledge anyway), so who the hell gets off and enjoys laughing at others misery. Jokes can be in bad taste, a few months after the event, but not on the same damn day!
Aye. Such problems are complex, yet society demands to paint it all in black-and-white.
Rather than dwell on who-did-what and who-should-pay-today, we need to learn from our mistakes and not repeat them.

...Unlike a certain slaphead on Facebook who has yet to grasp this concept.

HobbyJim

Aug 4, 2009
I'm honestly not surprised to hear this, What I AM surprised about is the W.B.C. NOT getting involved in the whole "god's punishment" flame war. I'm sure they'll catch on soon enough, the toss-pots.

What worries me is how we're going to help them build back up, cause honestly, we're teh broke. This is going to be tricky.

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
Merkavar said:
EllEzDee said:
Merkavar said:
wouldnt the 2 nukes droped on japan been enough payback for pearl harbour?
Pearl Harbour needed payback? Pearl Harbour was just a military manoeuvre, it didn't need payback. The nukes were just an overkill attempt at forcing them into surrender.

It's great to see all the uneducated 13 year old Call of Duty playing Americans still thinking the Japs are evil for their role in the war.
i think you miss understood what i was saying. i didnt say japan needed payback for pearl harbour. i was asking why people would think that japan needs payback for pearl harbour even after they were nuked twice. and like you said the nukes were overkill so if anything japan owes the us some payback.

i hope that 13 year old cod playing comment wasnt aimed at me cause again i didnt say the japanese are evil.
Ah, i get what you mean.
And the second part was aimed at the commenters in the OP.
Hurray for misunderstandings!

Alloflifedecays

May 28, 2008
If the tsunami's payback for pearl harbour, I can't wait to see what mother nature's cooked up for the nuke strike on Hiroshima.

Though I have to love how FUCKING EVERYTHING THAT HAPPENS IN THE WORLD IS SECRETLY ABOUT AMERICA.

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
Everyone forgets, this is AMERICA we're talking about. Living here, I realize 95% of the people around me are LITERALLY dumber than dogs; takes much less to satisfy and anger as well. For more info, look up faith and religion. The country was founded on stealing, robbing, lying, pillaging, raping, and holy genocide; this country is currently known as a bully for forcing all the other countries to act by America's will such as demonizing and killing communism, brainwashing africa to not use protection, invading poor iraq, and much more.

We are run by greed and fear.
We are selfish and uncaring.
We are dishonorable and egotistical.
We are forceful and discriminate.
We are stupid, knowing nothing, and is not proud of it, but encourage it, believing that "thinking" is stupid : ie faith.

well, not 95% but a damn great deal of people, and NOT just the religious, but with everyone influenced one another and our history and media, I'd be surprised if something like this DIDN'T happen. As an American, I'm just going to say it, we're mostly a bunch of idiotic assholes.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Yeah, God is American... Yeah... Sure...

Next time America has a disaster I will say "Well they deserved it because they were sucks a jerks to "Insert almost any nationality""... And I get flamed as a horrible person... -.-

Assholes are assholes and always will be assholes.