Tumblr Convention "Disaster" Unfolds at Illinois' DashCon

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
As far as I understand, the organizers hadn't actually got the money to pay the hotel and the performers. The deal was basically "You give us what we want now, and at some point we pay you for it. But not now, because right now we don't have any money to pay you with. ...Is that gonna be a problem?"

Honestly, I think that the Night Vale story is this: The Night Vale people got suspicious after they heard about how the organizers didn't have the money to pay the hotel, and askedsomething along the lines of "Do you actually have the money you'll pay us with?"
The organizers pulled a Han Solo and said "I don't have it with me..." and the Night Vale people bolted, realizing that it was far from certain that they'd get paid.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Wow, I was hearing jokes about tumblr back in April. Who the hell thinks this is ever a good idea? Well, hopefully never again, for their sake.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
NiPah said:
Super Not Cosmo said:
Yeah, this seems about what I would expect from a gathering of people who would attend a convention for Tumblr. Of course I highly suspect that they are currently trying to figure out a way to blame the entire thing on straight white men as a whole.
I've gotta ask, I get that "blame the entire thing on straight white men as a whole." is from something and it must have some meaning, but I'm lost as to what it is.
I've seen several statements like that from other people and it's really jarring.
There's a pronounced strain of xenophobic "social justice warriors" on Tumblr that try to blame straights, whites, and men for everything... not necessarily at the same time, but when you bunch the Tumblr population together it gets really easy to paint everyone with the same brush.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I know it's going to be done to hell in this thread, but I don't care, it needs to be said:

This seems pretty much appropriate for a Tumblr convention. Tumblr is really the only (popular) social media site that I have genuine problems with. The site is crawling with disingenuous hypocrites, each engaged in a constant uphill battle to prove they're more "unique", more "socially aware", and more "quirky" than every other Tumblr user.
Eh, being one such user, I can say it's mostly a problem of attitude. Treat your Tumblr like any other damn blog, in full awareness that not everyone might flock to your posts, and you'll do fine. Especially if you stick to what YOU feel like posting and don't bother with the Social Justice Warriors/SuperWhoLock/MLP nonsense.

A lot of the problematic types chase Reblogs compulsively and even set up fake bot accounts to subscribe to their channels. A lot of the network is crowded by me-too types or, as you've said, people who've deluded themselves into thinking they're somehow the edgiest person alive on this goddamned planet. I've got some obvious Bot followers of my own - but they're a cancer, honestly. I'd remove 'em from my Followers list, but there's just no real means to do that.

I mean, come on. I run an upteenth ordinary Pop Culture plus Games and Shit little rag, and five guys simultaneously subscribe to me, while their own blog posts aren't anything except copy-pasted One Direction bandmember mugshots.

Z.Ben Garrison

Jul 14, 2014
What did you guys think would happen when you take a large portion of the world's craziest nut cases and concentrate them all into one room? All hell broke loose as one would expect.

After most of the world's asylums shut down, these loonies were able to let loose on the internet, and then eventually settle down on one common domain for crazies; Tumblr. There they are free to circle jerk their crack-pot ideas in an echo chamber and reinforce each other's delusions and convince each other that they are normal.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Z.Ben Garrison said:
What did you guys think would happen when you take a large portion of the world's craziest nut cases and concentrate them all into one room? All hell broke loose as one would expect.

After most of the world's asylums shut down, these loonies were able to let loose on the internet, and then eventually settle down on one common domain for crazies; Tumblr. There they are free to circle jerk their crack-pot ideas in an echo chamber and reinforce each other's delusions and convince each other that they are normal.
I'd temper those words, honestly. Admist the expected cray-cray, you find little gems like SQAD's official blog for Kerbal Space Program, plenty of incredible reception or party suggestions if your cookbook's running dry, and plenty of fairly serious essays, news and reviews.

What rises to the top of the pile exploits the site's Reblog system. Unfortunately, Fandom Amazons and various White Knights are more than eager to spam the front page of anyone without a custom feed. If you don't visit the site with an actual search topic in mind, all you'll see is a sea of 420 references, GIF recaps of TV shows, Anime GIFs, fanart and just about a metric fuckton of paranoid or self-centered ramblings.

The short of it is pretty simple: subscribe to what interests you. Nothing else matters. Someone else you follow happens to Reblog some stupid story about the penguins in Antarctica dying or Sherlock being their husbando or MLP being a deeply misunderstood Neo-Marxist social critique? Ignore it. Better yet, block that offending person from your feed.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Z.Ben Garrison said:
did you even read what actually happed? the fault lies not with the Tumblr users but the oraganisers....honestly the amount of hate I'm seeing here is borderline hypocritical

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I can only say what I have said in the other thread: I don't care about Tumbler, I don't really care about SJWs, I don't care about how their con went, but damn, that "ball pit" is filled with so much ennui (and piss, don't forget the piss) that I can't decide whether I should laugh or cry about it, so I guess I will just stare at the ceiling and let the tsunami of fail wash over me...

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
SacremPyrobolum said:
I found this

I don't know why, but it is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, and I had a look at the fallout from the 4chan raids.

Cowabungaa said:
erttheking said:
shipping preferences.
Of all things you would think that Tumblr would at least be able to handle this!
Please tell me those ball-pit people descriptions were put up by someone who hates them, because I don't think it's humanly possibly to cringe the amount I want to if those ten describe themselves as such. I mean, some of it sounds like its mocking, but some of sounds like the self-insert wank fantasies of people who should know better....

Malty Milk Whistle

Oct 29, 2011
I'm actually in tears over this. Haven't laughed so long in a while tbh.

And for those saying that it's typical tumblr, the whole ball-pit escapade (and the cringeworthy antics of those attending) have been well and truly mocked.

http://www.tumblr.com/search/ball+pit

Zanderinfal

Nov 21, 2009
Not surprised, all I've ever gotten from Tumblr is that it is filled with whiny, incompetent teenagers who hate men. Frankly, it's fucking hilarious to see this happen - just goes to show that Tumblr is the most insanely inept group of individuals on the internet. I mean fuck, they couldn't raid 4Chan and played the victim when they got raided back. Too funny.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
erttheking said:
Look, I know that Tumblr is the punching bag of the internet right around now, but can we not indulge in sterotypes?
No. This is the Escapist. Feeling as though we're better than certain groups of people because of that one thing we heard that one time is basically our community's lifeblood... y'know, like Tumblr.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Clunks said:
Oh dear god. That ball-pit photo makes me wanna cry. It's like an abandoned teddy bear in a rainy street.
I am going to be serious, I find it nauseating to look at, in a dejected kind of way. Sorta like that feeling where you show up to a party, being thrown by a person you know, with all of your friends who were invited. You start to enjoy yourself before being zealously told to leave because you were not given an invitation. A gripping sadness that blankets a sensation of humiliation and rejection.

Wow, that got personal. 0_0

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Goodness gracious, that is one sad looking ball pit.
Just a ball pit in the middle of a warehouse, that sounds like the beginning of... well, I don't know what kind of movie but the kind you watch out of morbid curiosity.

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
erttheking said:
Look, I know that Tumblr is the punching bag of the internet right around now, but can we not indulge in sterotypes?
No, we're going to indulge in them all we like because Tumblr and its userbase deserves to be mocked.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So is this worse than that other con. I can't remember the name but it was the one that had specific cosplayers on their photos only.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
BX3 said:
erttheking said:
No. This is the Escapist. Feeling as though we're better than certain groups of people because of that one thing we heard that one time is basically our community's lifeblood... y'know, like Tumblr.
well, to be honest, im yet to meet a better community than that of escapist, so it may be pompous but its true.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
"Why didn't the Tumblr convention get organised?"

"Because white girls can't even."

Lololololol.