Tumblr Convention "Disaster" Unfolds at Illinois' DashCon

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Vault101 said:
Z.Ben Garrison said:
What did you guys think would happen when you take a large portion of the world's craziest nut cases and concentrate them all into one room? All hell broke loose as one would expect.
did you even read what actually happed? the fault lies not with the Tumblr users but the oraganisers....honestly the amount of hate I'm seeing here is borderline hypocritical
I'm sorry but aren't the organizers Tumblr users?

"For Tumblr Users, By Tumblr Users. We are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Tumblr.? was apparently the motto for this clusterfuck.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Ed130 The Vanguard said:

"For Tumblr Users, By Tumblr Users. We are not in any way affiliated with or endorsed by Tumblr.? was apparently the motto for this clusterfuck.
Tumblr has about 193 million blogs. This con had about 500 guests. The con was organized by a handful of tumblr users. I think she is saying that it's pretty over the top to drag all tumblr users into this mess.

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
SacremPyrobolum said:
I found this

I don't know why, but it is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, and I had a look at the fallout from the 4chan raids.
This has to be fake. Please tell me the text was added later. That's the worst case of Chuunibyou I've ever read.

Edit: So I just read them again and I'm pretty sure they're mocking them. Some are just hilarious. These really can't be real.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Uhura said:
Ed130 The Vanguard said:

Tumblr has about 193 million blogs. This con had about 500 guests. The con was organized by a handful of tumblr users. I think she is saying that it's pretty over the top to drag all tumblr users into this mess.
The curse of being a community, the most vocal morons are the ones everyone knows about.

And I'm uncertain that your view of Vault's post is the correct one.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
Reminds me of that MLP convention in Vegas, which was also an epic organisational fail/scam by the crew. Though, back then, solidarity prevailed and the whole community chipped in to get the attendants out of trouble.

Tumbler... well, they try some memewar. I wonder how it would go if the hotel called the police and they tried going full Misérables on it. Ball pit balls against tasers?

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
The curse of being a community, the most vocal morons are the ones everyone knows about.
I wouldn't call Tumblr a community, just like I wouldn't call Facebook a community.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Spoilers for today's Smash reveal folks.

Also, Tumblr continues to confuse and frighten me.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
It seemed okay in an overall view, since they had Welcome To Night Vale and Steam Powered Giraffe coming, but ended up being a big waste of time money and effort.

WTNV walked out due to lack of payment. Dash-con staff wasn't being clear about WHY there was no payment. Though they said, (staff), that they were going to pay WTNV after the panel. WTNV canceled part of the Europe tour, and flew over there to not have their money upfront, so Dash-con kicked them to the curb, didn?t pay for their hotel room (which they said they would) so the crew ended up sleeping on a futon. Ginger-haze decided to leave the con early after discovering Dash-Con wouldn?t be covering her hotel room anymore and she was charged the full bill (and she toted with WTNV and slept on the futon too). Ginger-haze, WTNV, and The Baker Street Babes are also being forced to pay their hotel fees because Dash-Con refuses to cover the costs as originally promised.

Although they promised everyone who paid for special WTNV seating a refund, they couldn?t afford to refund them, (my friend Zee and her sister also got to be apart of this). They offered her about a quarter of her money back, an extra hour in a pitiful ball pit, and 2 entries in a shitty raffle. The ball pit that was supposed to ?Pay for the Night Vale walk out? deflated about half way in, also someone apparently pissed in it, (great, right?)

Steam Powered Giraffe actually canceled MONTHS before the con, but Dash-con continued to sell tickets and make an announcement last minute.

Now lets start with the whole 17k thing. First day of the convention, there was some misunderstanding about the hotel contract (they had a ?verbal contract?) and they needed to raise SEVENTEEN GRAND ON THE SPOT IN TWO HOURS. Now the fishy thing about this is that they received the goal of 17k on paypal and cash. Paypal takes about two days to transfer (the con would be over by then right?) and the hotel staff said they had no idea about that crap. There was no confirmation that the money donated in cash and via PayPal on friday ever made it to the hotel Its been pointed out that Marriott Hotel, the Renaissance would have required them to submit their full reservation payment 5 days in advance of the event. Therefore it?s very, very likely that the ?$17,000 fundraising? was a huge scam. Because DashCon would?ve had to pay that money 5 days before this weekend or the event wouldn?t even be happening in the first place.

Now the rumor about the BDSM panel is false but, (again with my friend), Zee?s sister, whos 16, got into the ?Can U Knot?? panel because, I quote, ?She looked old enough?, they didn?t ask for ID nor any sort of verification.

The game room consisted of some tables, one TV, and one gaming console.

Possible art theft by Dash-Con for the nebula graphic in their banner (not confirmed though).

The panels were honestly dumb, ?British men with?Cheek bones!?, the cringe worthy, ?Superwholock hunt? , also including finely aged meme such as, ?Such Karaoke. Very Sing. Wow. ?, ?Homo erotic subtext.? (that was not 18+ on the schedule, as well as BDSM was not marked 18+ either. Homo subtext was pretty damn good though), ?Hay there brony?s? which was probably just a large shade throwing party, ?Hateful Anons and beyond: How to deal with bullies?. What, seriously, how is there an one hour long panel on that? And also, the infamous ?Tumblr Language? Yes, learn what ?throwing shade? and other memes and texting language is in an hour long panel! I think i made my point.

Some panels were not organized, ?Name That Anime? panel was handing out hotel mints as prizes for correctly answering questions instead of maybe stickers OR ACTUAL CANDY???

Tons of vendors left because sales were so bad that they weren?t going to make the initial cost for the space.

The ticket prices were outrageous (65$ for a weekend pass, a larger sum than Anime eXpo) and for a first time con the price is insane. (First time cons can either be a hit or a flop so its better to price lower, and obviously this failed.)

Some people were having panic attacks and freaking out because they had no way on getting home until Sunday evening or they don?t want to waste 65 FUCKING DOLLARS.

Dash was expected to have 5-7k attendees, but only got, AT THE MOST, 1000.

They had attempted to show both Pacific Rim and Doctor Horrible?s Sing-A-Long Blog without the legal rights to host a public viewing party. Del Toro has reportedly been notified about the unlicensed showing of Pacific Rim at a convention, which occurred in a room of approximately 60 people.

So all in all, Escapist, that?s why Dash-con is a total ruin.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
The first thing that popped into my head was something like "Well, yeah. Of course it was." And then I remembered that adorable little cartoon with Tumblr as a little girl going around asking the other big-name websites "What is air?" and felt bad for her.

I think I may be a crazy person.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
I'd be more inclined to say "Good, Tumblr deserved this". But... I can't...

How could I say such a horrible things to a con with a ball pit that MAGNIFICENT. I regret going to AX, needs more hour ball pits.

Jenx

Dec 5, 2007
Oh my god this is just perfect! While the stuff I subscribe to and read on tumblr tends to stay far, far away from any fandom or activism bullshit, I do occasionally run into re-re-re-blogs of this kind of stuff, and it generally makes me wonder if it's worth staying around on that site, just to follow a few funny comics and a blog that posts photos of ancient world museum pieces (really interesting stuff there, by the way).

But yes, that sad little ball pit, lying in the middle of an empty floor is just too good.

As for the people asking others not to stereotype - let's be honest here, I doubt many people truly and honestly believe that tumblr consists of nothing but people who cry for "social justice" (while generally not really being interested in actual social justice) and fawning over Benedict Cumberbatch's inhuman face.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
AsurasEyes said:
erttheking said:
Look, I know that Tumblr is the punching bag of the internet right around now, but can we not indulge in sterotypes?
No, we're going to indulge in them all we like because Tumblr and its userbase deserves to be mocked.
http://www.twonkhammer.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Implied-Facepalm.jpg

I seriously hope that you're being sarcastic here. Please don't make me have to go into why what you're saying is blatantly false.

ayvee

Jan 29, 2010
Kyogissun said:
I don't think this is going anywhere since we're arguing anecdotes, but. Do you really think that you appear unbiased after saying things like "And until that part of tumblr has its face stomped in and is put in a cage where it belongs" ?

Calbeck

Bearer of Pointed Commentary
Jul 13, 2008
Now I feel better about chairing "ZonieCon", back in the day.

It, too, was a disastercon in many ways, largely due to disorganization and flakeouts. And I really screwed up when it came to some of the basics, like ensuring transport for people to and from the (remote and somewhat desolate) convention hotel. But when things went wrong, I at least fought to pull something together, instead of making excuses.

When our hotel decided to rent our reserved rooms to other functions, claiming our contract was invalid because "the sales director who signed this no longer works here", we went guerilla, taking over unused space to hold functions.

We seized the penthouse suite we'd been promised and set it up as an open-guest consuite.

We had to threaten legal action to get our contracted water stations set up (Arizona has laws against refusing water, for obvious reasons).

The art show wound up being presented HORIZONTALLY, as the promised pegboards I'd personally seen when the deal was struck were nowhere to be seen. Turned out the hotel had lied about owning them, they belonged to a previous con which hadn't yet picked them up at the time. Adding insult to lies, when I demanded "pegboard", the new sales director brought a single normal-sized bulletin board... with a box of tacks. As soon as she was gone, I rounded up a load of tables and linen and we laid the art and auction sheets out decently, at least.

I personally ate every expense. I made sure everyone got paid as promised. And by the end of it all, despite a horrific first day of madness and panic, most of the attendees said it came off as a good "relaxacon". Good enough that we tried again a year later, though mostly just pulling in the same folks from the year before despite extra advertising. Because I could no longer support the convention personally at that point, and because I did not want to burden anyone else with the expenses, I put it on essentially-permanent hiatus.

Ten years later, one of the convention's big fans offered to bankroll another outing, but the old disorganization issues began to rear their heads almost as soon as I put down-payment on the hotel. Not wanting the fan (also an old friend of mine) to sink his money into a train wreck, I refunded what money he'd loaned and spiked the hotel contract, killing the convention entirely.

Honor before dosh.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
erttheking said:
Look, I know that Tumblr is the punching bag of the internet right around now, but can we not indulge in sterotypes?
The problem is that these sterotypes are the way most big tumblr communities actually act, and anyone willing to go to a tumblr convention is going to be part of one of these big communities. Of course, it is completely unfair for people to over generalize about about a massive group of people by pointing out the sins of the few, but this is the internet! We can't let logic and common sense halt the tide of our hatred!

You might as well be saying #NotAllTumblrs for all the good it will do.

Plus, this is pretty funny. I mean, protest songs at the hotel staff? What the hell were they thinking? No wonder they were told to go sit in the ball pit for an hour, they were acting like spoiled children.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Funny, I've been on tumblr for a while, and this was literally the first mention I've heard of this con... no posts saying it was coming, no hype, no warning... nothing.