Twilight Princess May be Getting a HD Wii U Remake

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Twilight Princess May be Getting a HD Wii U Remake

The Wii U may be getting a HD remake of the Wii/Gamecube's Twilight Princess.

Nintendo has been quick to jump onto the HD remake train this generation, with both Twilight Princess [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/wind%20waker%20hd?os=%20wind%20waker%20hd] on Nintendo's servers.

First up, an Wiiubrew [https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/653697137230745600>icon for the game was discovered buried in a recent software update. Then, the folks over at <a href=] uncovered a tag for "THE LEGEND OF ZELDA Twilight Princess HD" in the latest update to the Japanese eShop. All signs certainly point to "yes" on this one, but until we get official confirmation from Nintendo it is just a rumor.

It's worth noting that Nintendo said back during Wind Waker HD's development that it was experimenting with Twilight Princess/Skyward Sword HD [http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/11/4714758/nintendo-tested-hd-graphics-for-two-other-zelda-games-as-well], but ultimately scrapped them in favor of Wind Waker. Now that Wind Waker HD has seen substantial success, it would certainly make sense for them to revive the project.

We've reached out to Nintendo for comment.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/the-legend-of-zelda-twilight-princess-hd-might-be-coming-to-wii-u-315358.phtml]

Made in China

Apr 2, 2013
While the definitive version of The Twilight Princess was the GameCube one, it should also be noted that it was released on the Wii. You can still literally play it on your WiiU - so why does it need a remake? Or an HD remake in a line of consoles that were never about the absolute high-def cutting edge graphics?

It just seems weird. Unless it's going to be released on the 3DS, they would need to seriously revamp the game for it to make any sense.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Made in China said:
You can still literally play it on your WiiU - so why does it need a remake?
Nintendo doesn't make anything new anymore. And they will take it off the compatibility list so you are forced to buy it, again.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Made in China said:
While the definitive version of The Twilight Princess was the GameCube one, it should also be noted that it was released on the Wii. You can still literally play it on your WiiU - so why does it need a remake? Or an HD remake in a line of consoles that were never about the absolute high-def cutting edge graphics?

It just seems weird. Unless it's going to be released on the 3DS, they would need to seriously revamp the game for it to make any sense.
That's a good point, I forgot about that. I exclusively play the Gamecube version because, as you said, it feels like the overall better version.

OP: Speaking of the remake, I would hope it's based off of the Gamecube version. Not just because I want left-handed Link, but I always thought the flipped map of Hyrule looked goofy. Twilight Princess is a sequel of sorts to Ocarina, with a somewhat similar Hyrule. Having notable land marks on the other side of the map feels off.

Plus, I want more traditional controls complemented by the gamepad as opposed to the sub par motion controls of the Wii version. Though gyroscope controls would be awesome since they work so well with the other 3D Zelda remakes.

GebGuy

Mar 23, 2009
I'm ok with an updated HD version. I never got to play it the first time. Same with Skyward Sword, didn't have a system for it, so never played it.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
I really liked Twilight Princess (played the wii version), but it seems too soon for an HD version of that or Skyward Sword. For the consoles that they were for, they still look overall good that it doesn't need a HD version. Wind Waker had a few improvements that made the game a bit better, especially the sail. I don't really see much they could improve with the other two with a HD rerelease (Except in the case of Skyward Sword where they could make the Sky World a little more lively).

If this is indeed true and gets an HD rerelease, I'll consider buying it if there is extra content and perhaps some improvements.

008Zulu said:
Made in China said:
You can still literally play it on your WiiU - so why does it need a remake?
Nintendo doesn't make anything new anymore. And they will take it off the compatibility list so you are forced to buy it, again.
It would depend on what you mean by new. If we go by a big new IP then the only one I can think of is Pikman from the GameCube era. One could count Metroid Prime as it was very different from the other Metroid games. I love my Nintendo games even if they are iterative, but some more new stuff would be good, or even old stuff that hasn't been done in a long time. A Megaman Legends like game with Samus could be cool actually, if done properly.

Also, could Nintendo make Twilight Princess unplayable? I thought the WiiU basically had a built in Wii, so it can play any Wii games as long as you had the correct region disk.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
If they do remake it then I hope they fix a few of the problems I had with Twilight Princess.

-Notably the open-world was quite empty, and had bottomless pits (fill them with water and stuff!)
-Only being able to go down Zora's river in a mini-game. One of the prettiest areas of the game and you're restricted to a boat.
-Collecting the tears of twilight (or whatever they were called I don't remember) was a pain. The visuals in the Twilight Realm were pretty bland too, they should Jazz it up a bit.
-Make the dungeon items more useful in the open world. The spinner was really fun in the dungeon but after that it was pretty useless.

Man would it look good though! Those bosses would be even more epic in HD! Lake Hylia would look amazing!

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
008Zulu said:
Nintendo doesn't make anything new anymore.
At the top of my head they have actually published two brand new IPs in 2015 alone.

And they will take it off the compatibility list so you are forced to buy it, again.
Do you have any evidence of this or this just an immature "Nintendo is stupid" line of comment based on what you yourself think?

There's plenty of actual criticism that Nintendo does deserve, maybe focus on that?

Super Cyborg said:
Also, could Nintendo make Twilight Princess unplayable? I thought the WiiU basically had a built in Wii, so it can play any Wii games as long as you had the correct region disk.
I don't think they can make individual games incompatible, but it might be possible through a system update just like they can make system update to disable homebrew. They could disable The Wii mode though and force us to buy all the games through the eShop to be able to play them again. It all depends on how badly they want to screw the consumer because the OS can be modified to do a great deal. That goes for all the consoles though and is by no means unique to Nintendo.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
If it's an HD remaster, Nintendo has been seriously quiet about it. If it's just a quick port of the Wii version, I don't see the point (unless you can't find it locally). The only reason I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy download was to tell Nintendo that at least one person out there still likes the franchise.

Unless they do some tweaking to the progression or mechanics like in Wind Waker, I think I'll stick with my Gamebube version of Twilight Princess. It has responsive button controls and widescreen support. That's all it needs.

If I ever find the Wii version in a second hand shop, I might pick it up. The pointer controls were better than aiming with an analog stick (though you're stuck with that annoying fairy reticle during the whole game). It would be nice if this new version has both control schemes somehow.

Yopaz said:
Super Cyborg said:
I don't think they can make individual games incompatible, but it might be possible through a system update just like they can make system update to disable homebrew. They could disable The Wii mode though and force us to buy all the games through the eShop to be able to play them again. It all depends on how badly they want to screw the consumer because the OS can be modified to do a great deal. That goes for all the consoles though and is by no means unique to Nintendo.
It would be an utterly stupid move on their part if they tried that, though. Even if an update accidentally screwed up Wii mode, they would have a big issue. Sony took out the Other OS feature from the PS3 and for a while got tons of flak for disabling something used by so few people. If Nintendo took out backwards compatibility on an already weak selling system right around the time they start re-releasing games that used to work on the console, it would definitely be popcorn time.

Of course, I wouldn't make any bets that no company would not try that someday.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Yopaz said:
008Zulu said:
Nintendo doesn't make anything new anymore.
At the top of my head they have actually published two brand new IPs in 2015 alone.

And they will take it off the compatibility list so you are forced to buy it, again.
Do you have any evidence of this or this just an immature "Nintendo is stupid" line of comment based on what you yourself think?

There's plenty of actual criticism that Nintendo does deserve, maybe focus on that?

Super Cyborg said:

Thanks for the explanation. After telling me, feels like I should've known that already.

Nintendo has made some bad to questionable decisions over the years, but I have high doubts that they would do such a thing. It's one thing for Sony to make a console that isn't BC to lower the price, it's a whole different deal to remove a feature that was already there. If they decided to make a different WiiU that wasn't BC but cheaper, that would be fine. If they forced an update stopping the system from allowing Wii games to be used, that would be outrageous. It would hurt me as my Wii can no longer read discs, so my WiiU is the only way to play those games now. I don't think Nintendo is that stupid, and from what I can remember, almost all their systems since Wii(for consoles) and Game Boy Color (for handhelds) was BC for the last generation, so I don't see them suddenly not allowing something to be BC.

snave

Nov 10, 2009
It might at least give them a chance to go back and flesh out some of the latter parts of the game. After a spectacular start, the game begins to decline from the mid point. The final couple of dungeons in particular felt rushed, with the Twilight Realm bordering on incomplete.

Hyrule Castle at least was a strong finish, although a small bump in difficulty (enemy damage in particular) would go a long way to making the sidequests feel justified.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Super Cyborg said:
Thanks for the explanation. After telling me, feels like I should've known that already.

Nintendo has made some bad to questionable decisions over the years, but I have high doubts that they would do such a thing. It's one thing for Sony to make a console that isn't BC to lower the price, it's a whole different deal to remove a feature that was already there. If they decided to make a different WiiU that wasn't BC but cheaper, that would be fine. If they forced an update stopping the system from allowing Wii games to be used, that would be outrageous. It would hurt me as my Wii can no longer read discs, so my WiiU is the only way to play those games now. I don't think Nintendo is that stupid, and from what I can remember, almost all their systems since Wii(for consoles) and Game Boy Color (for handhelds) was BC for the last generation, so I don't see them suddenly not allowing something to be BC.
I actually hadn't thought about it myself until I responded to this thread, but it does strike me as a possibility. Not a likely one, but not impossible.

Hairless Mammoth said:
If it's an HD remaster, Nintendo has been seriously quiet about it. If it's just a quick port of the Wii version, I don't see the point (unless you can't find it locally). The only reason I bought the Metroid Prime Trilogy download was to tell Nintendo that at least one person out there still likes the franchise.
It could be bringing it to the eShop I guess.

It would be an utterly stupid move on their part if they tried that, though. Even if an update accidentally screwed up Wii mode, they would have a big issue. Sony took out the Other OS feature from the PS3 and for a while got tons of flak for disabling something used by so few people. If Nintendo took out backwards compatibility on an already weak selling system right around the time they start re-releasing games that used to work on the console, it would definitely be popcorn time.

Of course, I wouldn't make any bets that no company would not try that someday.
Yeah, it would be a PR nightmare. I don't think they would do that, I merely offered a possible mechanism of doing it. I don't even know if they can actually achieve this even if it was desirable.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I missed this first time round and now thanks to Xenoblade Chronicles X i'll be buying a Wii u. I heard Twilight Princess was one of the best Zelda games ever so i'm more than ready for this :)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
I'm curious if they are going to turn the bloom up to 11 again like in WW. Which made me wanted to stick to the GC version.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Quellist said:
I missed this first time round and now thanks to Xenoblade Chronicles X i'll be buying a Wii u. I heard Twilight Princess was one of the best Zelda games ever so i'm more than ready for this :)
Depends on who you talk to. I found the game to be quite solid and my second favorite behind Skyward Sword. It all comes down to personal preference.

I do remember when it initially came out that it was lavished with praise, and over time it felt that people became more critical of it. Of course at the time I didn't browse much of the internet, so it was a small impression that I got. Especially the first time through, one can get lost on what to do next. The first temple I had trouble finding a key to get into a room, and many of the twilight areas I had to roam around to find the one spot to get me to an area I was missing. The bosses were overall fun, but many of the dungeons weren't that interesting for me. Some of the items didn't get justice since they were only for a few puzzles, and didn't have much use beyond that.

Beyond that, it was a solid game and probably one of the most epic finales of the Zelda franchise in my opinion.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Quellist said:
I personally felt it had the best story out of all of the LoZ games (didn't play Skyward Sword) mostly due to the character of Midna being fuckin fantastic (I'm also a huge sucker for Tsundere characters). Plus while it didn't break most of the conventions of the old LoZ games, it did tweak them in a way that made them more memorable. Plus being able to beat stuff up as a wolf never got old, even if it generally was easier to take stuff out as human form link.

FireAza

Aug 16, 2011
I already own and have finished the Wii version, but either way, Twilight Princess in HD? Yes please!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I'd get a remake of Twilight Princess. It is probably my fav zelda game.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Honestly, the only one I haven't really played is Skyward Sword. So if they do that one in HD I'll pick it up. It came out right at the end of the Wii so I didn't bother. Sure, I got a Wii U and could play it on that, but I'm not really driven to buy a game that still goes for $50+ that is several years old with dated graphics. I also not so secretly harbor dislike for the motion control scheme they have put on Zelda games since the Wii came out and kind of hope they would offer an alternative control scheme.