Twisted Metal Review

Aethren

Jun 6, 2009
Sometimes it seems like I'm the only person in the world who enjoys that style of cinematic cutscene in games.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Bomberman4000 said:
sidecord said:
another reason for me to get a PS3 when i have the money
i loved twisted metal
If you have a PS2 you could honestly just replay Twisted Metal Black and save yourself a few hundred dollars. When I played the demo for this, the first thing I noticed was how weird the control scheme was and had to make adjustments to it.

It just didn't feel like a PS3 game. It felt like I was playing a PS2 port with nicer graphics. I don't know. I was thrilled when I first heard about this game at E3, but I'm passing on it. It didn't feel new enough to me to justify a full purchase.
Black? ... really? you're saying it's better to play black?

First Tito jumps the shark with the idea that the controls are shit and you say play black. it's known as the twisted metal with the steepest controls learning curve!

These controls are completely tight. Santa Monica ring any bells here? Burnout? Same tight controls.

Tito really failed on this review. The game is fun, the online (which admittedly still has party connectivity issues) is tight and balanced (again when you get in a match) and the story is an improvement to previous styles.

character-vehicle association was not a big deal to drop. the stories relating them to respective vehicles were full of holes anyway.

This is a good game and I hope people interested at least rent it.

I didn't even go into multiplayer options ... whatever. at least check it out

Anodos

Jul 23, 2011
instantbenz said:
Bomberman4000 said:
sidecord said:
another reason for me to get a PS3 when i have the money
i loved twisted metal
If you have a PS2 you could honestly just replay Twisted Metal Black and save yourself a few hundred dollars. When I played the demo for this, the first thing I noticed was how weird the control scheme was and had to make adjustments to it.

It just didn't feel like a PS3 game. It felt like I was playing a PS2 port with nicer graphics. I don't know. I was thrilled when I first heard about this game at E3, but I'm passing on it. It didn't feel new enough to me to justify a full purchase.
Black? ... really? you're saying it's better to play black?

First Tito jumps the shark with the idea that the controls are shit and you say play black. it's known as the twisted metal with the steepest controls learning curve!

These controls are completely tight. Santa Monica ring any bells here? Burnout? Same tight controls.

Tito really failed on this review. The game is fun, the online (which admittedly still has party connectivity issues) is tight and balanced (again when you get in a match) and the story is an improvement to previous styles.

character-vehicle association was not a big deal to drop. the stories relating them to respective vehicles were full of holes anyway.

This is a good game and I hope people interested at least rent it.

I didn't even go into multiplayer options ... whatever. at least check it out

Protip: I find that when i use the Quick Online Match option, i get in a game nearly all the time.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
So basically Greg ignored the tutorial then played the campaign, sucked for a bit, then went back to the tutorial, didn't pay attention, didn't play the game long enough to learn its deeper nuances and systems and then wrote a review saying how it is frustrating and hard.

Man so many reviewers are so lazy and impatient. Reminds me of when Lost Planet 2 got ripped to shreds when that game is fantastic if you actually bother to try to learn how to play by its rules and its design. Not every game needs to work the same or offer the same amount of hand holding and I'm glad some still exist that do allow the player to figure out things on their own.

Even Egoraptor made some great points about this in his Megaman X Sequalitis thing. Every game can be figured out to its fullest extent simply by playing and paying attention and experimenting, hell most games use to be like this and it was awesome.

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I'm not saying that Black was a better game than this new one, I'm simply saying that if the guy doesn't have the PS3, or Twisted Metal, then if he had Twisted Metal Black the experience wouldn't be all that different. LIke I said it's not a bad game, but I certainly don't think it's good enough to warrant a system purchase.

I'm sure a lot of people will find the game fun, but I can see where TIto is coming from by saying it doesn't feel like much has changed since the mid-late 90's. I thought the same thing when I was playing it; it just felt old.

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
Father Time said:
the game did have a tutorial, just go to single player, training, and then live training. Wala, tutorial.
I think calling that section a 'tutorial' is a bit of a stretch as it fails miserably in that function, it tells you what the basic button functions are but that's it. Yes you can drive around with unlimited weaponry but it's utterly pointless as you have nothing to shoot at to test with the weapons. The learning curve in the single player is pretty much a brick wall as you're dumped in a game with six others taking chunks out of your car giving you no time to try and get a feel for the level, the controls and the weaponry. Going into the challenge mode first is a better way to start the game as the one vehicle endurance gives you time to get used to the game but I still find the game frustrating, it doesn't seem to want you to play it. I don't know why they bothered with a manual as it's just a waste of paper and the hints and tips seem to refer to the useless default controls.

The only reason I stick with it is because I stupidly bought the game at full price, if I'd been playing the demo I wouldn't have given it a second look and as this is a primarily multiplayer orientated title, that's not good at all. I think the review is one of the more accurate ones (if anything too generous to the game), I could put up with the numerous problems and very lazy port for a £5 PSN title but for a full price PS3 game I think it's a joke.

"there's nothing here to push the medium beyond the 1990s era that spawned the original"

...I don't understand why this is a negative?
Because it's horribly dated and it feels it, some games are timeless in their simplicity but games like this are not and the total lack of any modern innovation and advancement shows really badly. The physics engine is terrible, the controls are awful (when you're actually getting to drive the car which is rare amongst getting constantly rammed off the track or ripped apart by the AI) and the enemy 'AI' is a joke - I put that in brackets because using the term intelligence gives them credibility they don't deserve. The race mode in particular seems to be some sort of sick joke, when I'm the fastest car even the slowest AI car rockets off the start line faster and from then it's a game of how many times can the AI cars shoot you before you get sick of it and power the console down. A lazy port like this would be acceptable as a cheap PSN title but as a full priced Sony published game it's a total embarrassment.

John

arigatou

Mar 20, 2012
I'm sure a lot of people will find the game fun, but I can see that it does not feel like a lot of changes in the mid-late 1990s HP 74 [http://www.meritline.com/hp-74-75-remanufactured-ink-combo---p-19686.aspx], Tito from.

Johnmcl7

Nov 27, 2007
I find it's generally random, sometimes I can get away cleanly but a lot of the time I get bounced around so much from the incoming weaponry that I'm stuffed. I've been told several times the game gets much better the more you play it but I'm finding the complete opposite.

John