Twitch has a new Hot Girls in Hot Tubs Meta now

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And apparently it has started some debate online and i wonder what the forum thinks. https://kotaku.com/twitchs-hot-tub-meta-has-sparked-off-yet-another-debate-1846600932

Personally I think this sort of streaming doesn't really belong on Twitch, because it's entire purpose is to stare at a girl in a Bikini. Most of the time, the streamers are simply doing "just Chatting" but happen to be using the hot tub to be as naked as legally possible. And it's a bit counter to the whole "Don't view women as sexual objects" thing. Because what purpose does the bikini stream otherwise serve other than to tantalize the viewers. It's basically turned your stream into an Onlyfans live stream and i don't see how that belongs on Twitch.

There was a time when Twitch was to stream video games, girls abused that by having a huge webcam with a tiny little stream of some random game that they never touched. Eventually this become the IRL/just chatting sections of Twitch and that was fine. This also ended up letting mukbangs, music streams, and other varieties of content available on Twitch to expand the audiences.

And there is an argument to be made that streams like these, only further increase potential revenue for Twitch and the streamer involved. But the counter point to that is there is no age verification for Twitch, and these hot tub streams do not need to exist in this current format. This is merely a loophole to get around previously established Twitch clothing guidelines that cracked down on streamers showing off too much cleavage, and sometimes also their cracks (amoranth).

To be Twitch was always about sharing a personality, entertaining people and building an audience around that. Whether it's through a game, or a just-chatting or podcast style format. But there is no pre-tense here, these girls are using nudity for tips and subs. There is no personality attached to a lot of it, and while there are a few girls who are very personable and chatty with their audience there are also just as many who fucking lie their and sunbathe only casually greeting chat and thanking people for tips.

Ultimately I think Twitch's policy needs to change to create some sort of content guidelines. Meaning that hot tub streams are fine, but there must be some sort of entertainment going on along with that. Whether you are actively talking and conversing with chat, or you are streaming a group of people playing water polo, there should be some requirement in which these streams are not just bikini girls sitting there collection money because boobies.

Then again if Twitch is getting paid for it, why should they care? But any of these girls who try to defend their nothing nudy streams should have to ask the question, "If you were fully clothed, could you still entertain?" Because i don't think it's right for these streamers to only be offering up their barely clothed bodies and calling that the entertainment. They should be required to put in some sort of effort towards the audience imo.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Really seems like not much of a big deal to me, but I don't really care for twitch to begin with 🤷‍♀️

Shamelessly stealing a couple comments from the linked Kotaku article that have good viewpoints:

I wish people would be honest about this discussion. It isn’t about morality, it’s about money. There is a lot of money to be made with streaming and those fueling the fire in arguments like this are the ones not getting the money. Our (U.S. at least) society has traditionally used morality as the framework for these arguments, which I think is why this gets framed this way.

But really the most upset people are the ones that see money going into someone else’s pocket because they(the upset ones) don’t have boobs to use to get that money.
Agreed. Don’t separate it. Don’t ban it. Treat it like it’s normal and then, as time passes, it’ll become normalized. Women’s bodies are normal. Let them be normal.

For the issue of minors in swimsuits, I would say they could ratchet up the restrictions a little, but in that same vein, the amount of skin restriction would need to apply to boys as well as girls (no shirtless-on-cam for anyone).

For the issue of expectations, where non-hot-tub streamer ladies feel like their audiences pressure them to do something they don’t want, that’s up to the mods/devoted audience to police. If a streamer says, “Don’t ask me about that,” put it in the “About” section of their stream description, then have mods enforce it like any other “Don’t ask me about this” requests.

When it comes to, “But my viewcount!” for people who don’t do it, I mean, welcome to Twitch? It’s the same for streamers who don’t pull shitty pranks, start shitty drama, or act like shitty edgelords “as a character”. Stick to your guns, make your content as interesting as possible without doing anything you’re not proud of. That’s the standard for content across the board.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Sure it's bad in general, and we can probably agree that blaming the twitch thots themselves doesn't get us anywhere since there must be people that provide when a market exists. The problem is that a market for this exists. Gaming content is multiple times more popular, let's not forget that, but it depresses me to think about the simps that enable these whole careers of being a hot tub streamer etc.

Streaming (and other types of "social influencing") create uneven parasocial relationships. It's completely fine for women to behave any way they like to an audience of followers/viewers/fans/"likes" but at the same time we're supposed to treat them like they're people instead of products. It's a new age of objectification.

Saint of M

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 27, 2010
Country
United States
I thought the whole overly sexualized thing was a big no on twitch, with some games getting the no go to stream based on this, or some DOA outfits for the same reason.

Yeah, explode as many heads as you want, feel free to use that chainsaw on people, but heaven forbid if children are exposed to the all powerful nipple.

Reactions: BrawlMan

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Streaming (and other types of "social influencing") create uneven parasocial relationships. It's completely fine for women to behave any way they like to an audience of followers/viewers/fans/"likes" but at the same time we're supposed to treat them like they're people instead of products. It's a new age of objectification.
This is why I made my point of mandatory "entertainment". I dont care that a female streamer is in a bikini on camera, so long as her body isn't the ONLY thing she is bringing to the stream. Because it's just objectification, which is supposed to be bad, like you said. And because it's too easy for the streamer to have a bunch of 12 year olds as an audience, what do you think those kids are going to do when she isn't revealing a bunch of skin? They are going to become those Twitch chat people who demand girls "show more titty" or whatever. Then the female stream will turn around and be outraged about it, when it is her own fault for cultivating an audience solely based around her body in the first place. And around and around it will go.

Reactions: Saint of M

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I thought the whole overly sexualized thing was a big no on twitch, with some games getting the no go to stream based on this, or some DOA outfits for the same reason.

Yeah, explode as many heads as you want, feel free to use that chainsaw on people, but heaven forbid if children are exposed to the all powerful nipple.
Yeah but the Thot's have been pushing back against that, under the justification of it being their body and their choice. And Twitch not only sees the money that the titties bring in, but the mods are all a bunch of simps themselves so of course they are going to defend the practice as long as possible.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah, chalk me up for "Who gives a flying fuck"

Twitch streaming isn't my thing and watching some lady in a bikini chill in a hot tub isn't my thing but I couldn't care less if people want to combine them together and stream themselves chilling in a hot tub on Twitch. You do you, I'll do me.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
Poor me for not holding people that donate money to their pretend-girlfriends in high regard.
Excuse me for not holding people who care in high regard. What harm does it do if everyone involved is on board and it's all legal?

Also the slut shaming.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Excuse me for not holding people who care in high regard. What harm does it do if everyone involved is on board and it's all legal?

Also the slut shaming.
Of course it does harm. Commodification of relationships and objectification of both the women that stream themselves and their audience of thirsty men. Parasocial relationships are despicable, but some years ago I was still under the impression that a streamer, even a girl streamer, would actually be genuine, but now the bar has been lowered and Twitch is a place where it would be dumb not to show off your body if you're a girl and actually want viewers. If using "thot" is enough to be slut shaming then I'd better not continue.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Of course it does harm. Commodification of relationships and objectification of both the women that stream themselves and their audience of thirsty men. Parasocial relationships are despicable, but some years ago I was still under the impression that a streamer, even a girl streamer, would actually be genuine, but now the bar has been lowered and Twitch is a place where it would be dumb not to show off your body if you're a girl and actually want viewers. If using "thot" is enough to be slut shaming then I'd better not continue.
If you got it, flaunt it. (y)

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
What kind of desperate husk of a human does one have to be to watch such things though?

Cheetodust

Elite Member
Jun 2, 2020
Country
Ireland
What kind of desperate husk of a human does one have to be to watch such things though?
14 years old with strict Internet filters. I mean more power to them. When I was their age I had to wait until Call On Me or Satisfaction would play on one of the music channels... Like on TV, not radio.

Reactions: Gyrobot

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
I mean hasn't Twitch been Baby's First CamSite for years now? Or is it just coincidence over 50% of Twitch users are in the 14-24 demo, and the top streamers are bikini models who sit spread eagle on a couch with the camera pointing at their hoo-ha while they play Among Us.
And Twitch just so happens to get past age filters and restrictions placed on phones by parents, or WiFi by schools.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Shows how hypocritical and double standard Twitch has become, but I barely bother with them, so fuck'em.