Twitch Plays Pokemon Beats Pokemon Crystal

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Twitch Plays Pokemon Beats Pokemon Crystal

The final battle against Red featured the team from the original Twitch Plays Pokemon. All hail Lord Helix.

Well, those crazy kids over at Twitch Plays Pokemon [http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon] have done it again, defeating Red on Mt. Silver thus completing Pokemon Crystal. As an added surprise, Red was not using his usual team of Pikachu, Espeon, Snorlax, Charizard, Venusaur and Blastoise, but the rag-tag team that the original Twitch Plays Pokemon's Red used. Praise the heavens, for Lord Helix has returned!

AJ's final team consisted of only five Pokemon: Steelix ("Solid Snake"), Dragonite ("Katie"), Espeon ("Assassin"), Pidegot ("Brian"), and of course, Lazorgator (Feralgatr). Red's team was Zapdos ("Battery Jesus"), Venomoth ("ATV"), Nidoking ("King Fonz"), Lapras ("Air Jordan"), Pidgeot ("Bird Jesus"), and, the one true savior, Lord Helix (Omastar). You can watch the full climatic battle in the YouTube video to the right.

This time around, only four Pokemon were released: Drowzee, Sentret, Togepi and Wooper, and it took Twitch 13 days, 2 hours, and 27 minutes to finally complete the game. For the record, it took them over 16 days to beat Pokemon Red, which is considerably shorter than Pokemon Crystal, meaning that Twitch has somehow become much more efficient.

As for what's next, true to the creator's word [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132889-Twitch-Plays-Pokemon-Interview-TPP-Will-Continue-on-to-Emerald], the game will continue on to Pokemon Emerald, although we may have to wait a while to see it. A counter on the stream says that the Emerald play-through won't begin for another six days, leaving Twitch the freedom to explore some of the game's end-game content.

Source: Twitch Plays Pokemon [http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon]!

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
I never heard the Espeon called "Assassin". Only names I've seen are RJ and Breakfast Burrito.

And bah, I missed the victory by about 30 minutes. It took them hours to even get to Red each time and usually they fell to Battery Jesus.

Sep 14, 2009
for some reason this is what I imagine from this:

Still, very cool that people collectively come together for something like this all in good fun and humor.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
The channel has significantly died down in popularity which is why more progress was made in Crystal. I think on average it only had somewhere like 16k players at a time... Which is still a lot, but when you consider the original was in the 100k range it makes sense that with fewer people they were able to work together. Basically the people still watching were the ones actually interested in making progress.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
Bigeyez said:
The channel has significantly died down in popularity which is why more progress was made in Crystal. I think on average it only had somewhere like 16k players at a time... Which is still a lot, but when you consider the original was in the 100k range it makes sense that with fewer people they were able to work together. Basically the people still watching were the ones actually interested in making progress.
That and this time Democracy mode was accessible from the get-go, rather than being added some way in like last time, no doubt that helped speed up the game a bit. To be honest I largely lost interest after Red finished, I might check out Emerald though since my first Pokemon games were Generation III.

devilmore

Nov 18, 2009
How the hell did they manage to give their pokemon proper names this time around? And a friendship evolution?

I'm kinda impressed. Trolls got bored?

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
devilmore said:
How the hell did they manage to give their pokemon proper names this time around? And a friendship evolution?

The closest to a real name that they got themselves was KT ("Katie" the Dragonite). Usually these names were nicknames or formations of the jibberish (like "ABBBBBBK" was called Abby or Abby K by the lore).

Though the friendship evolution is a wonder. I think the Eevee didn't get fainted a lot yet was kept around for a long time and got more friendship from traveling.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
Danm that final battle was epic and tense.

I didn?t really follow twitch plays pokemon crystal, I did play it a bit at the start and saw the birth of lasergator.

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
devilmore said:

Short answer: trolls got bored.

Longer answer: Initially TPP Crystal was met with a very divided reception, some for it and some against it. The specific arguments against usually boiled down to "THE MAGIC IS GONE GUYS, SCREW THIS." or "LOLOL LETS RUIN THIS GAME SO THAT WE CAN LIVE IN GLORY FOREVER!" but a few factors made it difficult for them to screw it up too badly.

1. There were less bots, conversely there were far more people claiming that there were bots but based on the same scale used to judge how many bots were spamming inputs in Red there were much fewer in Crystal.

2. The people who wanted to play were fairly organised, not at completing a specific objective but at preventing trolls and bots from screwing things up.

3. There were less overall viewers, this is a bit contradictory and often cited as a reason the stream has become "less popular" but it is worth noting that the number of inputs per minute hasn't changed at all since around the Safari Zone in Red, if anything its increased. Why this contributed positively to the stream was that it allowed Twitch's servers to handle things a bit better, generally reducing lag by a few seconds and preventing certain streams of input from drowning out others.

The friendship evolution sealed it as it was used well as evidence of what could be achieved in the face of trolls.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Congrats to them I guess, I know it's official they are going to do Emerald, I wonder if they will go even farther into the DS games. I would be down for actually participating in a Black and White Twitch playthrough.

Panthera

May 10, 2013
devilmore said:

The friendship evolution isn't that crazy, you increase friendship by walking around and if there's one thing TPP is good at, it's taking seventy steps where one would do.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
I was happy and sad that they beat red, the original team who we all came to know and love and all that were savagely beaten by the new team.

The point is I'm impressed they managed to do it. And as of right now they just started playing pokemon diamond which if my virtually nonexistant knowledge is correct is a hack of another game.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
It was pretty epic. This is also a really interesting experiment imo. It proves that even though you might have whole hordes of people doing random things and many trying to sabotage the entire group effort, as long as you have a number of people trying to make progress, they will get it done eventually :p

The final battle was somehow both badass and hilarious to watch. Like a guy slapping himself in the face randomly only to suddenly deal out a roundhouse kick to the opponent.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
This is probably how the Borg got started. It's only a matter of time before the group mind moves on from Pokemon to galactic conquest.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
devilmore said:

Friendship with pokemon actually increases through leveling (5 points) and just walking around (1 point per 256 steps) ...and with how much THEY spend lost and walking around randomly... actually isn't too hard.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
That was a really neat touch having the final battle with Red being the same Pokemon they used to beat the first game.

Did they know that that was going to happen, or was that a surprise until the last minute?

New Frontiersman

Feb 2, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
That was a really neat touch having the final battle with Red being the same Pokemon they used to beat the first game.

Did they know that that was going to happen, or was that a surprise until the last minute?
It wasn't "confirmed" or anything, but since it was confirmed that they were playing on a hacked rom to allow them to get Pokemon that are normally available only by trading, most people assumed it would be the case.

And yeah, it was a pretty nice touch wasn't it?