"Two and A Half Men" star attacks show, asks everyone not to watch it. Calls it "Filth"

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
I have no love for the show, but this peeked my interest.

Credit: CNN
http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2012/11/26/angus-t-jones-of-two-and-a-half-men-my-show-is-filth/?hpt=hp_t2

For a comedy, "Two and a Half Men" on CBS brings a lot of drama.

Angus T. Jones, the 19-year-old actor who has played the "Half" man, Jake Harper, since 2003, calls the sitcom "filth" in a taped interview that recounts his religious experience.

"Jake from 'Two and a Half Men' means nothing. He's a nonexistent character. If you watch 'Two and a Half Men,' please stop watching," Jones says toward the end of the clip, which was posted to YouTube on Monday.

"I'm on 'Two and a Half Men,' and I don't want to be on it. Please stop watching it. Please stop filling your head with filth. Please. People say it's just entertainment ... do some research on the effects of television and your brain, and I promise you you'll have a decision to make when it comes to the television and especially with what you watch on television," he continued. "It's bad news. I don't know if it means anymore coming from me, but you might not have heard it otherwise."

Jones then references "the enemy's" deception, presumably meaning Satan, and assuring listeners that "there's no playing around when it comes to eternity."

He notes at one point in the video that he doesn't want to contribute "to the enemy's plan," and that people may view actors like himself and think, "Oh, I can be a Christian and be on a show like 'Two and a Half Men.' You can't. You can not be a true God-fearing person and be on a television show like that. I know I can't. I'm not OK with what I'm learning, what the Bible says, and being on that television show. You go all or nothing."

A rep for the CBS show told CNN "no comment" on Jones' remarks.
So... yeah.

I don't care about the show. So the article quotes come at like 7:50 on the youtube video.

Eh I don't judge a man for his convictions, but if he truly felt that strongly about the show why is he still doing it? Why is he in show business at all.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
"Let's criticize the show that pays me $300,000 per episode. That'll be a smart move in my life.

Gimme a break. If it's that bad, and it's against your religion and it's filth and you hate it so much, quit.

His character is basically being written off anyway, so perhaps that's what the plan is.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Marter said:
"Let's criticize the show that pays me $300,000 per episode. That'll be a smart move in my life.

Gimme a break. If it's that bad, and it's against your religion and it's filth and you hate it so much, quit.

His character is basically being written off anyway, so perhaps that's what the plan is.
thats the thing. he cant quit. he signed a contract that holds him there even if he hates it. if he decides to quit he will be in debt so large his grandchildren will be paying the studio.

Waffle_Man

Oct 14, 2010
SaneAmongInsane said:
Eh I don't judge a man for his convictions, but if he truly felt that strongly about the show why is he still doing it? Why is he in show business at all.
I can't say with certainty, but it's probably related to a contract of some kind or another. A couple of people I've talked to have told me that they didn't realize getting into show business can easily get people into situations that they're not comfortable with but can't do anything about without getting into serious legal trouble. Anecdotal, I know, but I don't have reason to doubt it.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
turns out "jake" isn't so stupid after all...excpet for the weird religous thing...hmm mabyes he's not dislike it for the right reasons 0_0

jokes aside I can't say I disagree..hopefully he can move onto somthing else

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Strazdas said:
thats the thing. he cant quit. he signed a contract that holds him there even if he hates it. if he decides to quit he will be in debt so large his grandchildren will be paying the studio.
Yeah, that's not really a good enough excuse. They're on, what, season 10 now or something?

How many contracts do you think have come and gone since the show started? I get that he was a kid when the show started but ... I just can't see that long-term of a contract for something he feels so strongly against.

When Sheen left, I'm sure there was a way out. He didn't take it.

Plus, I'm sure that the guys behind the show wouldn't exactly be unreasonable in holding someone there -- at this point, a minor character -- against his or her will. If you don't want to work for me anymore, and you're not important, why would I keep you around?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Strazdas said:
Marter said:

He could start phoning in his performances, pretend to be on drugs. They let Charlie go, why not follow example.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Strazdas said:
Marter said:

He could start phoning in his performances, pretend to be on drugs. They let Charlie go, why not follow example.
Maybe he still wants a career. Also, I somehow doubt drugs will somehow sit well with his religious convictions.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
I'd almost be more inclined to watch the show. Seriously, anyone who thinks that "the devil" is going to corrupt people through a television show is a few screws loose to begin with.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
He sounds drunk or high.

I don't watch 2 & a half men any more its pretty vaccuous.

There are people at my church who would tell this guy to get a grip. The show he works on isn't even that bad morally, it's just creatively stunted.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
ultrachicken said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Strazdas said:
Marter said:

Maybe he still wants a career. Also, I somehow doubt drugs will somehow sit well with his religious convictions.
PRETEND.

And, I doubt it would kill his career. Fucking Lindsay Lohan still has a career.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Aris Khandr said:
I'd almost be more inclined to watch the show. Seriously, anyone who thinks that "the devil" is going to corrupt people through a television show is a few screws loose to begin with.
Boy that always scare me when they talk like that. It's not about if there is truth in there words, but the fact that them saying you can see it in their eyes that THEY believe it's true. That level of faith is terrifying to me.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
So Charlie Sheen leaves because he is on all kinds of drugs (Including himself, duh), and Angus Jones becomes a religious fanatic and leaves. Where do they get these people?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
ITT: People find a TV star's religious convictions "terrifying" or "stupid".

You've grown up so much, Escapist.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Marter said:
Strazdas said:
Yeah, that's not really a good enough excuse. They're on, what, season 10 now or something?

How many contracts do you think have come and gone since the show started? I get that he was a kid when the show started but ... I just can't see that long-term of a contract for something he feels so strongly against.

When Sheen left, I'm sure there was a way out. He didn't take it.

Plus, I'm sure that the guys behind the show wouldn't exactly be unreasonable in holding someone there -- at this point, a minor character -- against his or her will. If you don't want to work for me anymore, and you're not important, why would I keep you around?
Some contracts are signed "till the end of the show". He may have though completely different about it when he signed, i know 10 years ago i was completely different person.
I dont watch the show so i dont know how big of a character he is, but if they are not letting him go after what he now said, obviuosly they want to hold him, even if out of spite.
They may want to keep you around because you make money.
SaneAmongInsane said:
Strazdas said:
Marter said:

He wants to have a career afterwards perhaps?

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
lacktheknack said:
ITT: People find a TV star's religious convictions "terrifying" or "stupid".

You've grown up so much, Escapist.
His level of commitment, terrifying.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Oh no! Filth! Whatever shall I do? You know, I never liked the show anyway, but I find this a bit annoying. The whole 'Dirty tv will corrupt your brains!' thing; I'm not that fucking dumb. My actions aren't completely determined by TV, I have my own ideas of right and wrong that take more than the odd sitcom to affect.

That said, given that his arguments revolve solely around Christianity, it's pretty irrelevant to me and I probably shouldn't care. If someone claimed to follow gospel to the tee and watched it then yes, that does strike me as a bit strange, but then most modern Christians aren't that strict.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Can't recommend the Filth highly enough. It's some of Grant Morrison's weirdest work, but really good.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Man I can never look at aged child stars and see them as adults. They almost always look awkward or have baby faces. And this is one awkward looking adult.

Anywho. I don't feel that bad for him, he's making some serious cash from that show but if he's serious then I'm sure his contract is keeping him from walking off. Best of luck anyways.