Two League of Legends "Pros" Banned for Being Horrible

DrunkenMonkey

Sep 17, 2012
I don't get why the "pros" have to hyphenated. They are pros or professionals in their skill, just not their conduct. Then again does professional imply having skill as well as nice conduct towards others in one man sized package? That I have no idea, if so then ignore this post the "pros" is well deserved.

MikeWehner

The Dude
Aug 21, 2011
DrunkenMonkey said:
I don't get why the "pros" have to hyphenated. They are pros or professionals in their skill, just not their conduct. Then again does professional imply having skill as well as nice conduct towards others in one man sized package? That I have no idea, if so then ignore this post the "pros" is well deserved.
For me, being labeled a professional means acting professional. The term can mean whatever you want it to mean, but that was just a bit of commentary on my part. :)

Xanex

Jun 18, 2012
A Smooth Criminal said:
It's quite amazing how it took way over 500 reports for a player to get banned.

You might not agree with me, but I think that it should take A LOT less than that for a player to be banned. And top 0.06? While that's not really as much as it seems considering how many people play league, I bet they put off banning these players for so long because they didn't want to harm their competitive scene...

It's quite pathetic really... Bans in League are not handed out enough considering how vile the community is...

I also think that the game should require an initial purchase. When a player gets banned, they literally just create a new account within 5 seconds. If the game were to initially cost about $10, it would stop people from not only creating new accounts to ban hop, but it would also help new players and stop them from constantly being grouped with smurfs.
Going to agree with you entirely. The interesting part of this article is not that they were banned. But that they had to accumulate so many reportings BEFORE they were banned. Seems they were treated as more special than the "normal" gamers because they were "pros". I'm going to speculate that the only reason they they were finally slapped down was as a warning to the rest of the pro players than actually enforing the rules equally.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Xanex said:
A Smooth Criminal said:
It's quite amazing how it took way over 500 reports for a player to get banned.

You might not agree with me, but I think that it should take A LOT less than that for a player to be banned. And top 0.06? While that's not really as much as it seems considering how many people play league, I bet they put off banning these players for so long because they didn't want to harm their competitive scene...

It's quite pathetic really... Bans in League are not handed out enough considering how vile the community is...

I also think that the game should require an initial purchase. When a player gets banned, they literally just create a new account within 5 seconds. If the game were to initially cost about $10, it would stop people from not only creating new accounts to ban hop, but it would also help new players and stop them from constantly being grouped with smurfs.
Going to agree with you entirely. The interesting part of this article is not that they were banned. But that they had to accumulate so many reportings BEFORE they were banned. Seems they were treated as more special than the "normal" gamers because they were "pros". I'm going to speculate that the only reason they they were finally slapped down was as a warning to the rest of the pro players than actually enforing the rules equally.
It's not that simple. First of all, yes, even "simple" players need to have many reports in order for them to get banned, and they also need to be frequent over a small time period. As for "pro" players, things are a bit different in the sense that high elo soloqueue is very different from low elo. In high elo there is a certain amount of familiarity between the players, so what may appear as abusive language in chat is often intended as teasing. Also, high elo players are almost always pretty comfortable in their lanes to a certain degree. It's unusual to lose a game because a player has no idea how to play a champion and is feeding horribly or because your support is taking minion kills and pushing the lane. It usually just comes down to bad calls/bad positioning/bad teamfights, so the rage-levels are lower and you will rarely see players just fly off the handle because their teammates are completely clueless. High elo players also report less, way less than lower elo players. In order to get reported, you either did/said something completely horrendous, or someone has a grudge against you. So handing out permabans there is a bit more of a complicated issue.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
Tanakh said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
The need to purchase (and therefore less smurfing trolls) is the main reason DOTA is considered to have a marginally better community than LoL. There are so many smurf trolls at low levels that the Riot staff has openly told new players to play against bots until Level 15 to avoid them.
Just as a clarification, DotA (Warcraft III DotA) had a community leaps and bounds ahead of LoL because most of the players were inside regulated Leagues or servers that enforced a minimum of manners and avobe all not ruining the game for the others; those were the golden days to be a DotA noob but the barrier of entry was higher (some of them charged money for example). DotA 2 has a marginally better community also, but unless you are within a clan or some other group the average palyer is much worse than what WCIII DotA had two years ago.
I very strongly disagree. While WC3 in general had among the best communities (and is among my favorite games ever), DotA was horrible, especially for new players. Yeah, it was great if you were good at the game and in a clan, but otherwise DotA players were the worst. They were the absolute least helpful if you weren't great at the game. Hell, if you weren't carrying the team, someone was raging 9/10 times in public games. It was ONLY among the good clans where you could have a nice community, but the only way to get in there was to already be good. Or cash, for the rare one like you mentioned. I'd say LoL has improved significantly in the last year and especially in the last few months. Compared to other MOBAs, it's easily one of the nicer places to play. MOBAs in general however have a community problem.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
While I do agree that flaming in tournaments is a no-no, players like Moonmeander wouldn't be as entertaining if they were barred from smacktalking in normal matchmaking games.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
MikeWehner said:
DrunkenMonkey said:
For me, being labeled a professional means acting professional.
Kind of like labeling your threads accurately?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
MikeWehner said:
Hartsema was reported in 29% of his total matches, which is six times as much as the average European LoL player.
So the average player is abusive enough to actually get reported in 5% of their games? What the fuck is wrong with people?

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
You know it's a slow news day when you see news like this.

And the fact that people respond to it with walls of text is just.. hilarious :')

hellflame

Nov 9, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
You get reported in LoL for saying "gg" at the end of the match if you dominated the game.
in all fairness "gg" isn't a bad thing. but most people tend to put "gg easy"

which ALOT of people find offensive, and most of the "gg easy" don't even understand why they get reported in 1st place,because calling someone a noob can't possible piss them off

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Skoosh said:
Well, like i said the barrier of entry was higher, DotA was amazing but you needed to be the protegee of someone alredy good, to have natural talent or cash to get into good communities. Fortunately I had a credit card since then, but i must confess to have ruined countless DotA1 and HoN games in order to get decent, not even good, just decent :p

About LoL, dunno, I can't bring myself to play it ATM. I get the itch to go back there every couple of months, then do a couple of games with my level 12 account and remember why i shouldn't play it; bunch of leavers, feeders, ragers, at least in DotA you usually only get baddies and ragers.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
So, seems like riot think LoL is in a really good state to start killing the pro teams from its own game.

I mean, it's not like an very similar, newer game is on the horizon, which is already quite big even in closed status.

kburns10

You Gots to Chill
Sep 10, 2012
Seems like LoL takes immediate action with these cases. Glad to see them taking it seriously and trying to keep eSports relatively honorable.

Agente L

Apr 4, 2010
Sseth said:
I don't think they'll have trouble finding people, competitive teams always have a roster with subs. Also, considering they scrim a lot it's very common for them to bring in a sub in who may not even be in their clan/guild.
Well, stand-ins give suboptimal results.

IIRC, one of the users banned is an member of mouz (which has a pretty strong team in dota2). It's somewhat costly to train and participate in tournaments. If people get banned over this kind of thing, a team might end dissolving if they can't find a replacement in a really short time.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
Phlakes said:
BiH-Kira said:
You get reported in LoL for saying "gg" at the end of the match if you dominated the game.
Anyone who thinks that the amount of reports in LoL shows anything is delusional.
See, if an average internet user like you thought of that, what makes you think that not a single person at Riot could do the same?

I mean, after thirty seconds of looking around-

Tribunal case evidence includes report reasons and comments, in-game chat log, per player stats and inventory, date, time, map, and mode for each individual game from which the case is built.

These cases are presented to random community members who use the Tribunal who then review the case files and render a judgment - pardon or punish. Player Support then uses this information to help assign the right penalties to the right players.
I know I'm not the expert that you are, but I seriously doubt having six times more reports than everyone else, and being banned for them, means they were still all false ones.

If you want to act like you know better than them, at least make it a little bit reasonable.
So it's better because the same kind people who report for no reason are also judging?
The Tribunal is the worst thing that Riot did.

Also, the guys at Riot think that Healer are anti-fun, that the community is retarded and that they can't create a feminine character without adding gigantic tits. Are you seriously telling me to trust the judgement of those people.

Edit: I'm not talking about this case specifically. I'm talking about Riot's approach to the community in general.
Ok, I have to be a pedantic ***** so excuse me:

And

So that's one of your statements reasonably defeated sir!

OT:

So pros break the actual Summoner's Code and expect to not get banned? Were they on stream at the time? I quite like Riot at the moment to be honest... Darius being un-nerfed nonwithstanding of course. XD They're pretty straight and up-front when it comes to their game. They know how god-awful the community can be and are actually trying to do something about it.

More than I can say about some other devs at least.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
As a person who has been driven away from multiple online games and communities due to assholes who think it's is their god-given right to be rude to others and not suffer any consequences, can someone explain why harsh policies are a bad idea?
Hell, even 'trash-talk' is unnecessary and often just escalates into flaming.
It doesn't have to be a one-offense-and-banned policy, but a if you behave like shit you get a warning, and when you get three you are out for a very long time.
Feel like this will lead to people spam-reporting? Then make spam-reporting a crime in itself. If you report people for the hell of it, you will get warned yourself.

Here's how you do it: Unless you are playing with your friends, SHUT THE FUCK UP, DON'T SAY A THING. When the game ends, either say nothing at all or say GG and include a damn smiley (You hate smilies? So do I, but since sarcasm can't be translated well on the internet, include one anyway). If you really want to have friendly conversation and trash-talk, fucking ask the opponent first and make sure there won't be any misunderstandings.
If you think that this somehow diminishes the fun of your game, then suck to be you, go play something else.

Edit: I'd probably be more okay with online-games if they all included an option to turn off the chat-system.

Skoosh

Jun 19, 2009
Tanakh said:
Well, like i said the barrier of entry was higher, DotA was amazing but you needed to be the protegee of someone alredy good, to have natural talent or cash to get into good communities. Fortunately I had a credit card since then, but i must confess to have ruined countless DotA1 and HoN games in order to get decent, not even good, just decent :p

About LoL, dunno, I can't bring myself to play it ATM. I get the itch to go back there every couple of months, then do a couple of games with my level 12 account and remember why i shouldn't play it; bunch of leavers, feeders, ragers, at least in DotA you usually only get baddies and ragers.
Yeah, the barrier of entry was SO high though that it made for a horrible community. LoL, HoN, and DotA are all great and nicer when you're just among pros. You judge the community by how it is for the average player or lower tier players, and DotA had a bunch of assholes. People simply took the game too seriously. And I don't know what you were playing, but DotA had WAY more leavers than LoL and HoN combined for me, likely because it was just so easy to. Alt QQ and join another game. Your experience was because you were part of an exclusive community within that community, not the norm.

I know what you're saying about LoL though, it's certainly not the best, and I haven't played much at all in a while. I have a level 30 account, but I stopped playing. Not so much because of a bad community, but a lack of one. WC3 in general just had lots of clans and people talking. Don't see that with MOBAs in general though.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Skoosh said:
Yeah, maybe I am lucky. As for current communities, I find NADOTA a good place ( http://nadota.com/forum.php ), but again not noobfriendly at all and I am way too bad to play with the best players there :p

Thinking of joining a clan like http://feverclan.com/forums/65-application-section.html , but dunno... atm i just play with one friend from way back and some friends new to the game that suck ass.

If anything, since DotA 2 is the underdog of the two big ARTS it seems some places have a higher sense of community, that is even if people flame, rage and shit, you can also find interesting discussions and interact with casters and pro players rather easily.