U.K. Politician Keith Vaz Hates Modern Warfare 3

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I actually e-mailed Mr. Vaz just yesterday about this topic, pointing out that his assertion was wrong (the train was not bombed, it derailed after the terrorist driver was shot by the SAS) and asking for him to provide data to back up his point over the 'increased link' that he mentions.

Judging by Root's summary of his character and actions though, I get the feeling a reply will not be forthcoming, or at least not one that's worth talking about.

Feb 13, 2008
Amnestic said:
Judging by Root's summary of his character and actions though, I get the feeling a reply will not be forthcoming, or at least not one that's worth talking about.
Given Vaz is the guy in charge of the Murdoch/N.I. questioning...

Unlikely.

Just as a pointer on his particular stance:

"I don't have to see a film to know it's offensive."

and

"You can always go to Holland to have a fair debate."

MiracleOfSound

Fight like a Krogan
Jan 3, 2009
And then after the kids were finished MW3 they went and bombed a subway. Then after that they watched Power Rangers and had a fight with a giant robot, then read the bible and went and nailed a naked dude to a cross till he died.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
I struggle not to giggle every time I hear a serious politico bring up videogames, it's like a duck discussing cave paintings.

rees263 said:
...trolling each other across the chamber. Quite funny really.
They really are! It'd be hilarious if you didn't think they ought to be accomplishing something...

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
The_root_of_all_evil said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
and this man has managed to keep his job... how?
Some might say because he's the only Asian MP, and the race card works pretty heavily. Here he runs because the only alternative is the BNP, who no-one wants in, or the Tories, who have already sold half of Leicester off.

Add in 45% immigrants, and he still can't lose, even if they know he's a fraud.

But then, there's his counterpart of Dorrell, who rarely even goes to Parliament, just gets paid to be there - whether he's there or not.
*sarcastic tone 'Yay Democracy!' is all I can really say to that. I hate the BNP as much as the next sane person but I've got to say I'd rather be represented by a racist than a crook.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Keith Vaz.

MP for Leicester East.

Generally held in as much high regard here as Michael Atkinson is in Australia. For very similar reasons.

Generally makes fatwas on books, accepts bribes, pushes paperwork through illegally, lies to Parliament, makes up facts on games, has been suspended from the House of Commons, has lied to the House of Commons and is a pretty notorious conman.

You'll note that I don't say "allegedly", because that's all been proven.

He's a vile, repugnant excuse for a politician that is singularly responsible for negative stereotypes of Asian men being reinforced.

And Tom Watson? He's the guy that said News International was the equivalent of the Mafia.

He's got cojones.
His nickname is Vazeline, because he's such a slippery bastard

Rotating Bread

Jul 22, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Some might say because he's the only Asian MP, and the race card works pretty heavily. Here he runs because the only alternative is the BNP, who no-one wants in, or the Tories, who have already sold half of Leicester off.

Add in 45% immigrants, and he still can't lose, even if they know he's a fraud.

But then, there's his counterpart of Dorrell, who rarely even goes to Parliament, just gets paid to be there - whether he's there or not.
*sarcastic tone 'Yay Democracy!' is all I can really say to that. I hate the BNP as much as the next sane person but I've got to say I'd rather be represented by a racist than a crook.
There are several asian MPs, off the top of my head I can think of Pritti Patel for the Tories and Labour's Sadique Khan.

Personally I'm not a fan of Mr Vaz but if it came to a choice between him and the racist idiots of the BNP I'd opt for Vaz every time. The BNP actually came a poor 4th in Leicester East at the last election anyway.

Combustion Kevin

Nov 17, 2011
Amnestic said:
Given Vaz is the guy in charge of the Murdoch/N.I. questioning...

Unlikely.

Just as a pointer on his particular stance:

"I don't have to see a film to know it's offensive."

and

"You can always go to Holland to have a fair debate."
ah, Fitna, most half-assed hatemongering my country has ever produced.
I suppose we all have our own bad politicians, eh?

OT: I think he reacted just like we expected him to, haters gonna hate, as long as gaming remains an easy target there is'nt much you can change about it.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
reonhato said:
i for one agree with this man. i am an adult who is unable to control his own actions. video games give me way to much stimulation and i regularly find myself acting out things in real life after having done it in a video game. just this week i have slain 3 dragons and i cant stop breaking into homes only to take gold coins and bread. i am sure that i am not the only person who has done this purely because i play video games. i think the only way to keep society safe from people like me is to ban any sort of violence or criminal activity in video games.
It's not the video games that cause you to behave this way, but they enable it. They give you ideas, like the constant theft of grain-based foodstuffs, that normally wouldn't occur to you. Once they do, however, your inbuilt sociopathy comes to the fore and you can't help yourself. Video games don't turn people into criminals; criminals play video games for inspiration.

Video games don't tell you to go out into the world and steal bread. They just show you how easy it is. Who could resist the lure of fresh-baked bread after Skyrim has shown us all just how simple it is to get it? Violent games are exactly the same. Why, before GTA IV I had no idea just how easy it was to get away with murdering people on the streets! It wouldn't have occured to me to simply drive around a corner and wait a few minutes for the police to call off the entire investigation. Thank you, video games, for teaching me important lessons!

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Rotating Bread said:
Personally I'm not a fan of Mr Vaz but if it came to a choice between him and the racist idiots of the BNP I'd opt for Vaz every time.
It says a lot about the sad state of the world that we're even presented with the choice.

I actually think the BNP have a few good points. They just get lost under the much, much more numerous bad points, and the members of the party who joined up to "get rid of the darkies" or somesuch have indelibly stained public consciousness with the idea that they're the new nazi party. That said, I don't see how a weasel like Vaz is any better. So he's not racist, but he's still a pillock in a myriad of other ways. I wouldn't want either of them to be granted any sort of authority over fellow human beings.

Feb 13, 2008
Rotating Bread said:
There are several asian MPs, off the top of my head I can think of Pritti Patel for the Tories and Labour's Sadique Khan.
Possibly more telling that I don't know them and I'm in Charnwood.
Personally I'm not a fan of Mr Vaz but if it came to a choice between him and the racist idiots of the BNP I'd opt for Vaz every time. The BNP actually came a poor 4th in Leicester East at the last election anyway.
They came 3rd in Charnwood. We've not had a Labour candidate in years. And it was quite an impressive 3rd.

Like our friend says, you've got between a racist and a crook. We've got between a racist and a autocrat. And with Clegg destroying Liberal values, it's back to a two and a half horse race.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
'Keeping you warm at night? Tom Fucking Watson.'
'Who will you turn to when hyperintelligent shark people invade your home? Tom Fucking Watson.'

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
dickywebster said:
As i say everytime someone claims theres a link between violence and games, there are games that have sold millions of copies, violent ones at that, so if games make people violent, why havent there been hordes of gamers everywhere murdering people?
Because there is no evidence, no one has been able to prove that only a game (when its been linked to a killing) was the one and only reason.

If anyone meantions one of several cases where like a 10 year old played gta then went out and killed a younger kid, these games are rated 18 for a reason, cause kids shouldnt be playing them, yet the parents who are happy to let their kids play these games never get blamed.

Oh and ive played most of the mainstream violent games various media or politics peoples say cause violence, yet im known as a fairly peaceful guy, actually its been noted that ive become less violent since i began playing games fairly regually.
So i can actually use myself as a case.example of how this link to violence is rubbish, cause it is really, you might as well say facebook causes violence for all the evidence there is.

Come back when someone whos played a disney game has gone on a killing spree, so when its a kids game and not just certain games, until then you cant even claim its videogames as a whole like they are so fond of doing.
Alright for your benefit and everyone with similar sentiments, understand that we're not going to get anywhere by being ridiculous and intentionally misunderstanding and misrepresenting the opposition the way they do to us. This backfired back when PnP RPGs were under fire and made the issues go on for a lot longer than they should have.

Understand, nobody is claiming that gamers literally run out and monkey everything they see in video games. Especially seeing as gamers don't have the capabilities to say jump out of a VTOL buck naked even if they were inclined to monkey it (to use someone else's referance), and of course there are issues of self preservation involved that don't come into play with some of the more ridiculous claims.

I do not agree with this, but I understand it:

The arguement is a bit more reasonable, and also more insidious than that, and as such has to be confronted properly. The basic arguement is that by seeing, and most importantly interacting with sociopathic behavior (especially as the perpetrator) it leads to people becoming more likely to find such behavior acceptable. Thus while a gamer might not go on a shooting spree because he plays games where he does so, he might be more likely to find a reason to kill someone far more easily due to putting less of a general value on human life. Likewise a game where you have sex with prostitutes and can kill them afterwards might lead someone to generally come up with attitudes about how having sex with hookers is okay, as is killing them after a dispute or simply getting violent with them after refusing to pay. Violence with prostitutes is a BIG deal, and part of the entire issue of prostitution.

The kind of issue being claimed is that say during a robbery by someone who plays a violent video games might be more likely to just blow the clerk away needlessly, than hold them at gunpoint and leave. Not to mention when desperate he might be more willing to swing towards crime, and especially violent crime, as a potential solution. This is not to say that games CAUSE these problems or that they wouldn't happen without them, but that they increase the frequency and most importantly the severity. Basically if you desperatly want money for something your more likely to rob someone for it if you've become used to the idea of it and have had alternative crime-game morality drilled into your head which can become more appealing as you become more desperate or feel your not being treated well. The fact that this stuff is loosely based on reality and real mentalities can make it seem increasingly seductive. Likewise if some poor horny guy is used to banging hookers in games, he might figure "Well, why not go do it for real" and afterwards might figure "well heck, why pay, she's a criminal, doesn't have a pimp, I got what I wanted, and I can just beat her up and leave".

The point here is that the claims are more subtle, and trying to say things like "oh yes, I am going to go on a shooting rampage" make you sound more ridiculous than the claims your trying to refute, and like your trying to avoid the actual issue. You can't win a case if nobody takes you seriously... and really I've noticed a tendency to resort to the same kind of exagerration and sarcasm in most internet debates when someone can't come up with a valid, well articulated response to the issue.

When it comes to terrorism enacted by the computer, well understand there are other issues at stake here. The global economy is in rough shape, and faith in goverments is at an all time low. Right now things are holding together due to people generally not being all that violent, but as misguided attempts at non-violent protest with no teeth behind it fail (like the Wall Street protests in the US) people are going to get smart enough to realize they need to start giving it some teeth. People tend to forget about the left wing terrorists that actually were the force behind the civil liberties movements and reforms in the past. The non-violent protests of Martin Luthor king were a show of force once what could happen was established. Other civil victories were not won by lazy hippies sitting around smoking dope and being rude to the police in lagre groups, they were won because of the terrorists within that movement who were blowing people up, and kidnapping and brainwashing girls like Patty Hearst. We haven't seen that kind of thing for a long time, but a lot of goverments feel the wind changing, and as protests like the ones at Wall Street fail, they know it's a matter of time before people start getting violent. You might not agree with what the terrorists stand for in say "Modern Warfare 3" but that kind of thing might give people the idea to do the same kind of stuff in pursuit of a cause they DO agree with, especially when they start getting angry enough to look at the past and realize that it not only works, but has generally been the only way to REALLY get anything done when you get past all the idealism. Needless to say this isn't in the best interests of the goverment, and you can see why they would want to slow the process by trying to surpress material that could lead to that kind of thinking. That, and you also have the whole "peace at any price" aspect of things, and the motivation which people don't agree with behind the terrorism. The peace at any price attitude is such that they don't want people to be reminded of why we should hate various groups, especially when warfare and violence is the counter-response.

Thanks for reading this far, I'm just explaining what's behind all of this. The bottom line is that you have to understand games like this play havoc with the agenda of the anti-war "Muslims/Russians/Chinese/whomever are our friends" stuff (I have no idea who the terrorists in the game were, I haven't played it), as well as planting dangerous ideas (indirectly) in the minds of people at a dangerous time. More directly relevently to this article and current trends many people believe it increases the severity of crime and the likelyhood of people turning to violent action... which is BS, but is distinctly differant from saying "it makes your kid get up one day and start shooting people for no reason", most arguements like that are not taken seriously so don't represent the other side, and acting like that just makes you seem like a bigger idiot than your serious opponents. Also in a period of turmoil like we're in, politicians need to be seen to be doing something, video games make a great political boogieman to address and pretend they are doing something important, so they can avoid having to deal with larger, more complicated issues that are liable to doom their political career whatever they do since huge amouts of people will be POed whatever way they go on them.

Al_

Aug 15, 2008
My MP, Julian Huppert, signed the amendment shortly after I pointed its existence out. He's a fan of freedom of speech, games and tabling EDM amendments that start "leave out from `House? to end and add [insert opposite message here]" (though his tend to be to do with alt med)