U.K. Professor Blames Facebook for Syphilis Surge

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
I live in Teeside. Its nice to see my home in the escapist news section XD
Facebook will be responsible for the downfall of humanity.

Kojiro ftt

Apr 1, 2009
Um if you would all calm down and read what the professor said, he never accused Facebook of causing syphilis or any such thing. He simply said:
"...several of the people had met sexual partners through these sites."
"Social networking sites are making it easier for people to meet up for casual sex."

He never said "OMGzor Facebook is giving us syphilis!" as the Escapist headline would have you believe. Both the Telegraph and, especially, Escapist are responsible for alarmist reporting here. Shame on you!

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Sexual education not withstanding. My mate was telling me facebook had got him laid a shed load since he signed up. Mind you he's a demon on the guitar and never had any problems before.

Tosser.

Interference

Feb 14, 2010
Actually, the study was about social networking sites in general and didn't specifically mention Facebook. And, since Facebook is about keeping in contact with people you already know rather than networking with new people then the assertion it is used in this way would be mostly wrong.

The only people who started the whole Facebook thing were The Sun and The Daily Mail. In fact, the Mail is well known for having a bizarre obsession with claiming all sorts of things about Facebook. It's last attempt was to say Facebook caused CANCER.

Note they don't mention MySpace, as it's owned by Rupert Murdock, who also owns The Sun.

bobknowsall

Aug 21, 2009
His reasoning sounds pretty fuzzy, but I guess it's possible that Facebook is somehow connected to unprotected casual sex. Mind you, there are dozens of other things that could be responsible for the increase (Many of them linked to sex education and attitudes towards sex, as opposed to a networking site).

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Quotes taken out of context, tabloids putting words into the professor's mouth and other papers picking up on it assuming it's correct. Flat earth news.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/greenslade/2010/mar/25/sun-dailytelegraph

elricik

Nov 1, 2008
Computer: You've got facebook alerts!

Me: Really, I thought everyone hated me.

Computer: Nope, open the attachments, there will be cake.

Me: Ok *opens Facebook messages*

Computer: Now you've got syphilis!

Ok enough this stupid post. Its idiotic to think any site on the internet can be responsible for spreading STD's of any kind.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
So they blame an innocent website for young people being incapable of keeping their damn trousers on? The hell? I dislike Facebook, but this accusation is along the lines of "Violent games cause violent children" which, I might add is also a load of arse.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
Syphilis cases have jumped fourfold in the U.K. regions of Sunderland, Durham and Teeside, and Professor Peter Kelly, the director of public health in Teeside, thinks he knows why: Facebook. Along with being hot spots for syph, studies have shown that young people in those areas are 25 percent more likely to connect to social networking sites than people in the rest of the country.
There are also large universities in those area, with low pay conditions, considerable drinking skills and a credit crunch that's just taken place. With lots of horny teenagers.

Much as I detest Bookface, I think that blaming them for this is a LITTLE far-fetched.

EDIT: Ah, it's from the Telegraph via The Sun...should've known. Good thing it wasn't the Daily Mail or it'd be because of those immigrants.

smithy1234

Dec 12, 2008
That's like saying the invention of cell phones created an increase in the amount of sexually transmitted diseases since it was easier to call girls for sex.

A new form of communication is a tool and it can become whatever the user want's it to become. Eg: Facebook can be used to have casual sex. It's not Facebooks fault people are using the site for that and it's definitely not to blame for this increase in syphilis. Forms of mass communication have been around for a while, why is it just now starting to increase STD's?

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
As a man of science, I'm offended that anyone would jump to such a conclusion. It's like people claiming using pot leads to harder drug use because many hard drug users smoked pot.
And just for the record, if you're going to blame a networking site for a rise in STI's, blame a dating/one-night-stand site.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
I'm guessing it ain't just me who's got the recent South Park episode in their head, right? I Garandamntee that it was an alien wizard who can cast invisibility who did this all!

But in all seriousness, you can't blame sites like facebook, myspace or bebo for shit like this at all. Its stupid, looking for things to blame other than the dumb motherfuckers themselves is just retarded.

What are the chances that this persons son knocked someone up/this persons daughter has been knocked up.

StarofAzura

Lady Nerevarine
Mar 22, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Wow... so, they aren't blaming videogames? Go figure...
I KNOW, right? Maybe they'll move on to blaming facebook and twitter and leave us alone. :D

LiftYourSkinnyFists

Aug 15, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
HG131 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica
Wait, what?!
Yeah, it was a topic like a week or two ago, some crazy scientist lady or something (Swedish I think) blames the USA for the earth quake in Haiti
Austrian, and it had plausible reasoning.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Quiet Stranger said:
Where the hell do they come up with this stuff??? It`s like that woman who thinks the Americans have earthquake machines in Antartica
Hey, now. I take offense to that. While I may have many American henchmen in my employ and I typically accept ransoms in American dollars, these are merely practical concerns. Like most supervillains, I recognize no international authority but my own.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
WHENTWOTRIBESGOTOWAR said:
Quiet Stranger said:
HG131 said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Wait, what?!
Yeah, it was a topic like a week or two ago, some crazy scientist lady or something (Swedish I think) blames the USA for the earth quake in Haiti
Austrian, and it had plausible reasoning.
Plausible......right

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
Formica Archonis said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Hey, now. I take offense to that. While I may have many American henchmen in my employ and I typically accept ransoms in American dollars, these are merely practical concerns. Like most supervillains, I recognize no international authority but my own.
This slaps me on the knee