U.K. Soldier Supports Game-Based Recruiting

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
U.K. Soldier Supports Game-Based Recruiting

The idea of using videogames to recruit for the military is nothing if not controversial, but at least one former British Army officer says he fully supports the idea and wishes the U.K. would embrace the concept with the same enthusiasm as the U.S.

It's hard to precisely gauge just how much impact videogame-focused recruiting has had on overall enlistment numbers, but it's enough that the military continues to fund projects like the breaking international law [http://www.americasarmy.com/] by developing a game it said was intended to recruit child soldiers.

One former British Army soldier, however, thinks recruiting via videogames is perfectly acceptable, although he says that the U.K. wouldn't dare be as bold about it as the U.S. "Our army is run by people that are still far too distant from the young soldiers that they lead," former Major Neil Powell said in an interview with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/should-army-use-games-to-recruit]. "The US Army is miles ahead of us on that; they understand completely their target audience."

That "target audience" is the young male demographic for whom the action and intensity of videogames has a particular appeal, who Powell said are "precisely [what] the British Army wants." He acknowledged that game-based recruiting was bound to spark a "moral debate" but added that any method of enticing young men to go off to war would, or at least should, inspire the same kind of questions.

"If we are going to accept that we need an army as a society, then we have to make sure we have sufficient numbers of staff in that army. And if people aren't going to join as a first job of choice because of things like piss-poor wages, because of things like abominable living conditions, and whether or not we choose to fund it in order to get jobs done, then we've got to recruit somehow," he said.

"I do have a problem with this pious, self-righteous attitude of some in the civilian front who want an armed force, want to have the safety that an armed force provides in terms of defense, but they drop their guns and say it's morally wrong when we use videogames to recruit into the armed force," he continued. "Most people like the security that an armed force brings them - they like the pomp and circumstance - but they don't want to send their own sons to join it."

A veteran of the Balkan wars himself, Powell said no game can accurately reproduce the experience of the battlefield. Nonetheless, he said he doesn't have any real moral qualms about using videogames as a recruitment tool. Noting that television ads have long attempted to make the army look "sexy," he explained, "When you see adverts for Lloyds TSB Bank [http://www.lloydstsb.com/] you don't see them advertising repossessions, you don't see them advertising the huge bonus crisis and how much is being paid to certain key members of staff. You just don't see the negative side to it."

"In much the same way you could argue whether it's moral for the army or any of the armed forces not to show, for instance, the repatriation at Headley Court [http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafbrizenorton/], limbless. We don't do that - is that morally right?" he asked. "We know the army's not like that. There are huge amounts of time that you're bored and in crap accommodation; they don't show you the crap kit; they don't show you the absolute hardship that soldiers put up with. It just looks great fun."

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
I support this idea also. The sooner those mouthing, leeching chavs on the net are signed up to the military and sent to die in Afghanistan the better.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Has the guy ever played a game? Admittedly I've never been in the military, but I don't see how the 2 suddenly = each other.

If anything games put you off war; the first CoD anyone?

Singing Gremlin

Jan 16, 2008
Furburt said:
Yes, I can't wait till the British Army releases its first 'Paddy Killing' simulator. Imperialist Bastards.

Did I mention I don't like the British Army?
Any temptation to argue with you there was entirely erased by the Bernard Black avatar. I've completely forgotten what I was going to say.

Black Books is awesome.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Terramax said:
I support this idea also. The sooner those mouthing, leeching chavs on the net are signed up to the military and sent to die in Afghanistan the better.
What exactly is a Chav? I have seen it a few times on here but never understood what it means. Also, why would it be better for them to die?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
gof22 said:
Terramax said:
What exactly is a Chav? I have seen it a few times on here but never understood what it means. Also, why would it be better for them to die?
[youtube=JoQnOBGf6DQ

APPCRASH

Mar 30, 2009
If young adults want to join the military after playing video games, then let them. You make it seem like the military has developed brain washing technology and that we force people to "sign their life away" upon buying the game.

If you think that the Army only recruits gun crazed, video game addicted kids with no moral standings, then you need to politely gtfo.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Terramax said:
gof22 said:
Terramax said:

I see now. They look and dress like the wanna be gangsters over here in America.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
gof22 said:
I see now. They look and dress like the wanna be gangsters over here in America.
Yes, they're the UK equivalent. And if they're jobless, the hard-working taxpayer gives them a free trip through life.

Hardcore_gamer said:
I think this idea is disgusting. Sure you can't enlist people who aren't 18 yet, but i find it extremely difficult to believe that the USA army isn't also trying to influence the minors (teens from 15-17) and make them fond of the idea of enlisting later.
To be fair the military (at least here in the UK) have been advertising themselves to minors for decades. Every few months we have a military caravan park up in the middle of the town centre and advertise their services with great big machineguns dropped on the ground for kids to touch and look at.

I'm sure people have seen other examples.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im not too sure I agree with the good Major. Playing games and shooting a virtual gun and going into a battlefield and killing a real person are two very oppositte ends of a spectrum.

Sure, they deal with similar motif's, however, how it is dealt with is an entirely different thing.

Luring people in from video games, rather than a person taking a genuine interest seems a little too close to subliminal subscription to me...War games on computers send out the wrong messages about War. Its not glamarous, your not the only hero, and your certainlty not going to regenerate your health behind that sandbag cover.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Woodsey said:
Has the guy ever played a game?
Actually yes, he is reportedly a "keen gamer" who described himself as a "45-year-old 17-year-old" in an earlier interview. He also served in a consulting role on Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

Glefistus said:
Oh, and you won't recruit child soldiers if you PROPERLY ENFORCE ESRB RATINGS. I am so sick of little kids playing FPS games.
That's actually the problem: America's Army is rated T (Teen) which according to the ESRB means it's suitable for gamers aged 13 and older. But international law mandates that it is illegal to recruit anyone under the age of 17. If the game is a recruiting tool that's aimed at kids 13-16... well, you see the problem.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Is it completely wrong of me to want to now go to the nearest army recruitment barracks and suggest i should be their commanding officer as i would totally pwn their asses on modern warfare 2. "I have fired a nuke during an online match, have you? Have you? I rolled the hard six! have you? Have you?"

bottle of wine for reference?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Malygris said:
Woodsey said:
Has the guy ever played a game?
Actually yes, he is reportedly a "keen gamer" who described himself as a "45-year-old 17-year-old" in an earlier interview. He also served in a consulting role on Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.
That'll be the same OpFlash where you can't climb over a 2 foot wall with any ease... :p

Fair point then. But still, games aren't anywhere near the equivalent of army life (I would imagine).

annoyinglizardvoice

Apr 29, 2009
Terramax said:
Bring back the penal legions, that'll sort them out. My only problem is why only Afghanistan, I'm sure there's plenty of places across the world that could do with some minesweepers.

I don't see a massive problem with advertising this way. It's no different than TV adds or city-centre recruitment drives (both of which the army does carry out), just a change of media. If they put an age rating on the game, then there's no way they could be acused of recruiting kids as any kid who's playing it is breaking the law anyway.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Woodsey said:
But still, games aren't anywhere near the equivalent of army life (I would imagine).
That was his entire point. Like the part where he said that no game can reproduce the experience of combat. Or that recruiting of any sort, not just games, never actually reflects the realities of military life. I'm not really sure what you're taking issue with here.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Malygris said:
Woodsey said:
But still, games aren't anywhere near the equivalent of army life (I would imagine).
That was his entire point. Like the part where he said that no game can reproduce the experience of combat. Or that recruiting of any sort, not just games, never actually reflects the realities of military life. I'm not really sure what you're taking issue with here.
In that I don't understand how playing games is supposed to entice us into the army.