U.S. Army To Begin Second Life Recruitment

Nathan Meunier

Nov 19, 2007
U.S. Army To Begin Second Life Recruitment

The U.S. Army will soon unfurl its sticky recruiting tendrils in Second Life's virtual world.

While the army says its setting up [http://www.army.mil/-newsreleases/2008/10/10/13228-army-exceed-recruiting-goal-for-fiscal-year-2008/] a virtual base in Second Life.

"Over the next 30 to 45 days you might, if you're one of them Second Life avatar dudes that likes to go populate islands within Second Life, you will find an Army island in Second Life," said Gen. William S. Wallace in a recent presentation at the 26th Army Science Conference. Wallace, commander of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, noted there will be two army installations in the virtual realm. One island will serve as a welcome center to provide recruitment contact information, and the other will hold activities like parachuting, weapon usage, and rappelling down towers.

Performing well in the virtual military activities will earn recruits points that can be used to buy virtual clothing like shirts and baseball caps, said Wallace. Tchotchkes will also be given out for recruits to wear. "There are about four million young people that routinely interface in Second Life," he said. "(That's) the age group of the young people who we're trying to encourage to join the military."

Beware what you ask for, U.S. Army. Second Life tends to attract users with peculiar tastes.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Calling it now. Theyll be signing up furry betallions & their island will come under attack from an army of goosestepping penis'.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Thank god i don't have second life. I get enough trouble from them in real life. Even though they know I'm too underweight to join.

Uskis

Apr 21, 2008
I think it's disgusting what measures the american army takes into action in order to get more recruits. I realize that they need recruits, but the way they pray on young kids and suck them in and ship them off to Iraq

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Oh lord...they may as well put ads at 4chan -_-

If they HAVE to do online game advertising, do playstation home, I see socom posters all over that thing anyway.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Shouldn't Second Life be called First Life or just Life? I mean, these people can't have had lives to begin with :/

They're gonna get furries, vores and gun-nuts of the worst kind. I wish it was possible to follow up on this because it can be nothing short of hillarious.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico said:
Oh lord...they may as well put ads at 4chan -_-

If they HAVE to do online game advertising, do playstation home, I see socom posters all over that thing anyway.
Well that might cause those boards to clean up a little bit.

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Furries, Vores, Deviants, Basement Dwellers and 13 year old girls most of which will get thrown out of basic; I can't see how the US Military sees this as a viable investment. Not to mention the fact that Second Life isn't US only so what are they going to do if a non-citizen tries to hang out on their island. Finally Second Life gets routinely screwed over thanks to allowing people to script from within it.

lijenstina

Jun 18, 2008
I think that the army should be clear about their gameplay policies: the complete lack of quicksave and quickload options in their games.

Ronmarru

Aug 17, 2008
Gen. William S. Wallace said:
..if you're one of them Second Life avatar dudes...
It seems to me that Mr. Wallace has no idea what he's talking about. I'd like to point out that us upstanding Americans have nothing to do with the Army's stupid decisions. Also, is it just me or would the type of gamers that play Second Life never join the military?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Is the US military that desperate? How can you guys fight a war with this stuff going on?

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
I heard a while ago they were thinking of offering non-US residents the chance to join the US military, with the promise of citizenship if they survive the war on Ira... er.. Terror. Whatever happened to that?

Dommyboy

Jul 20, 2008
The U.S. army is about to get trolled and raided. It will happen, there is nothing stopping it.

Hey Joe

Dec 23, 2007
Seriously, Second Life? I think we all know the people who use Second Life aren't exactly the military type.