U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Pearwood said:
So does this mean websites can take down those annoying as hell messages that everyone needs to vote against this? I mean fair enough, if I had a vote I'd use it if only to stop Americans trying to control what I do over here but I don't so this whole thing has just been an annoyance. Even here there's black margins that send me to some website against it and it's completely wasted on any non-American.
I can understand your frustration but I, as a Canadian, can see why actions need to take place. I know it's bothersome if you aren't American, but SOPA and PIPA will give American industry moguls the power to come and mess around in YOUR back yard under THEIR jurisdiction.

Which is and should remain blatantly illegal. It's not even indicative of the government's true stance on the matter, it's just a textbook case of industry lobbying.

Phopojijo

Jan 18, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
Phopojijo said:
The Cool Kid said:
-snip top-
Cybersecurity as it stands is a joke. Until everything is 4096 bit encrypted, it's like debating what's better to stop a bullet - a single leaf or a sheet of paper. Also it's hard to brute force your way through passworded systems so ultimately any security related complaints are negligible.
-snip bottom-
Yeah it is plainly obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/brazil_banker_crypto_lock_out/

This 256-bit key was uncrackable after 5 months of attempts by Brazillian authorities as well as 12 months of attempts by the FBI. He may have "only" used 256-bit AES encryption, but he used it smartly.

If you did speak to a "security expert" about 4096-bit keys, he was probably talking about the RSA encryption algorithms that you see in 2nd year Rings and Fields math classes. I'm guessing he was an undergraduate university Math or Computer Science student?

Encryption these days is much more secure than the environment around it. (Simple choice in passwords, malware on one of the endpoints, compromised SSL certificates/MITM attacks, etc.) Essentially the worst enemy to security is complacency -- as is evident by Sony, etc.
You're not arguing with what I'm saying but a professional of the industry as I'm quoting what he said at a conference.
That encryption they are talking about is different to server security. And the expert was actually an ex-hacker hired by industry, not some schoolboy. Fact is, France will not allow higher then 256 bit encryption so they can snoop on traffic. This clearly means 256 bit is not secure.
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about so you're intentionally being vague. Did you mean SSL? Then read below, because you're wrong.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/researchers-reveal-likelihood-governments-fake-ssl

You know as much about security as you do about SOPA... and that is basically nothing. I deal with security -- not as a primary role in my job, but sometimes within my job; you clearly do not. The company I work for has also been subject to false (some in mistake... some allegedly fraudulent) DMCA claims. (We counter claim and the cases are always dropped... but what about with SOPA? What about companies less knowledgeable than our's? What about people afraid of wrongful lawsuit?)

So you want to talk about jobs? Talk about mine.

Kuroneko97

Aug 1, 2010
Lulz I have been laughing my ass of reading The Cool Kid and Jimbo1212's comments. It's like they're the same person, but they cover it up by making their Jimbo1212 account cocky and have him deny everything you say.

...Huh? Oh, right, topic. YAY!!!!!!!! In celebration, I'm going to go read copyrighted hentai on Fakku.net!

Phopojijo

Jan 18, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
Phopojijo said:
The Cool Kid said:
Phopojijo said:
The Cool Kid said:
-snip top-
Cybersecurity as it stands is a joke. Until everything is 4096 bit encrypted, it's like debating what's better to stop a bullet - a single leaf or a sheet of paper. Also it's hard to brute force your way through passworded systems so ultimately any security related complaints are negligible.
-snip bottom-
Yeah it is plainly obvious you have no idea what you are talking about.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/28/brazil_banker_crypto_lock_out/

This 256-bit key was uncrackable after 5 months of attempts by Brazillian authorities as well as 12 months of attempts by the FBI. He may have "only" used 256-bit AES encryption, but he used it smartly.

If you did speak to a "security expert" about 4096-bit keys, he was probably talking about the RSA encryption algorithms that you see in 2nd year Rings and Fields math classes. I'm guessing he was an undergraduate university Math or Computer Science student?

Encryption these days is much more secure than the environment around it. (Simple choice in passwords, malware on one of the endpoints, compromised SSL certificates/MITM attacks, etc.) Essentially the worst enemy to security is complacency -- as is evident by Sony, etc.
You're not arguing with what I'm saying but a professional of the industry as I'm quoting what he said at a conference.
That encryption they are talking about is different to server security. And the expert was actually an ex-hacker hired by industry, not some schoolboy. Fact is, France will not allow higher then 256 bit encryption so they can snoop on traffic. This clearly means 256 bit is not secure.
Yeah you don't know what you're talking about so you're intentionally being vague. Did you mean SSL? Then read below, because you're wrong.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/03/researchers-reveal-likelihood-governments-fake-ssl

You know as much about security as you do about SOPA... and that is basically nothing. I deal with security -- not as a primary role in my job, but sometimes within my job; you clearly do not. The company I work for has also been subject to false (some in mistake... some allegedly fraudulent) DMCA claims. (We counter claim and the cases are always dropped... but what about with SOPA? What about companies less knowledgeable than our's? What about people afraid of wrongful lawsuit?)

So you want to talk about jobs? Talk about mine.
You come on to argue with me about security? That seems suspicious to say the least.
Yes I am talking about SSL as SOPA security issues is about general safety from what I gather, but this is still a rather OTT digression.
And I know nothing about SOPA why? Because you claim it? Want to back that up or just going to leave it as a hollow claim?
Yeah I was pointed to this thread by Leam (a friend of my girlfriend), so I created an account to correct you (note the 3 post count and 3 posts in this thread).

And you know little about SOPA/PIPA despite your crowing... the same sort of crowing you did about security when you were obviously way over your head. You vaguely claim to read the bill, yet you rarely ever actually state a direct problem -- exactly how you tackle the security issue.

If you're so serious, point out a *specific and detailed* issue with SOPA that has been misunderstood... and then likely someone will swing by and prove you wrong.

Until then, crowing does not equal knowledge.

Example, the issue with SOPA related to security is not with SSL or anything like that, it's with DNSSEC authentication.

Steve Gibson, GRC --> http://youtu.be/1y-YE0I0n9Y?t=15m00s

Steve: Lamar Smith, who is the Texas Republican representative who's one of the sponsors of this bill, the SOPA, Stop Online Privacy ((he meant Piracy)) Act bill, he said, "Well, you know, I'm not technical." Well, okay. And this is the problem, is that one of the many things this does is it breaks DNSSEC. That is, DNSSEC is all about preventing DNS spoofing, which is essentially what this is, is legislated, government-backed DNS spoofing. And so many of the people have been concerned because essentially it means we can't have DNS security if we're going to have a mandated, legislated, deliberate breakage of DNS.

--------------------------

So you're wrong.

Grottnikk

Mar 19, 2008
Aidinthel said:
Grottnikk said:
Even though it didn't pass and is shelved, there are a bunch of sites having a little sit-in anti-SOPA thing going now. Just tried to get into the Elder Scrolls wiki and got a "this website is blocked by SOPA" message. :)
It being "shelved" does not mean it is permanently dead, just significantly delayed. To next month.

Also, SOPA's companion bill in the Sanate, the Protect IP Act (PIPA) is scheduled for vote on I think the 24th.
Does the fact that it got shelved increase the chance it'll get chucked the next time? I'm Canadian, so I don't know how your guy's political situation works (or doesn't :) ). I'm guessing whatever made it so objectionable the first time will have to be addressed or it'll just get tanked again.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
er..You state the blackout worked, because a few days ago Obama was against it? The black out was today.

As much as a criticize the guy, let's give him credit where it's due.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
Well that's a biased industry to sample to begin with.
Most users will not bother as most users do not use extensions and not everyone uses firefox.
What's easier - having to hop around the web for sites and so on, or Netflix? People almost always choose the easier option when they can.

I think you're grossly underestimating what people can do. Maybe you don't realize how easy it is to get past a DNS block.

With a quick google search you can find a websites IP address. Copy+paste the IP address into your address bar, and you bypassed SOPA. That's all it takes. You don't need to download the app.

If a DNS blocking law like this passes it will, at best, slow down piracy for a few months. After people learn how to bypass it, piracy will be back up to full speed.

After people learn how to get past the DNS block all you're left with is a weapon large companies could use to threaten honest websites.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Kuroneko97 said:
Lulz I have been laughing my ass of reading The Cool Kid and Jimbo1212's comments. It's like they're the same person, but they cover it up by making their Jimbo1212 account cocky and have him deny everything you say.

...Huh? Oh, right, topic. YAY!!!!!!!! In celebration, I'm going to go read copyrighted hentai on Fakku.net!
I'm pretty convinced that they're the same dude. I mean having the same viewpoint is one thing but the fact that they're ALWAYS in agreement, coupled with the similar sense of self-superiority and their ability to be right in everything they say, it's gotta be one person on two accounts.

That...or else I'm just quite paranoid. Which I'm not denying as a possibility.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
big ass snip, bitches love a bigass snip
Jimbo1212 said:
Spectrre said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Jimbo1212 said:
Lucky people do, eh?
And they say it's bad news.

But guess they're all wrong because you say so.
Also, answer the question.
What will SOPA do then?
Erm, I don't think you understood my point.
99% of people don't understand the bill, hence why so many people are misguided about it, including yourself.
if they understood it, then they would not say it is bad news.

How can I explain what SOPA would do if you don't understand it? The most simple way to put it would be to say that it would give a injunction similar to a cease-and-desist through an utterly fair trial in which (for once) money would not be the driving force, but evidence.
I'm sorry but if you truely understand what the bill is all about you would and should be able to reiterate it in more plain language for us "lesser minds". If you can't do that you do not truely understand it.

And how do you know 99% of the people to which this applies' thoughts? "Through sheer fucking luck?"
It is not my job to teach people what a bill means because they don't have the vocabulary and skills to read the bill on their own.
If you don't understand it, then you should not be arguing about it.

Have you read the internet ? Everyone who complains about this bill are all wrong, thus have not read the bill or understood it, but seeing that it is pretty clear, I will presume they have not read it.

mega48man said:
Jimbo1212 said:
mega48man said:
i feel extra proud for having written a letter to my congressman a while back :)
Had you actually read the bill or just went on crap rumours from the internet?
i understood that SOPA would have granted the government greater legal authority on the internet which i found to be unconstitutional, so with the image of captain america in my mind, i wrote to my congressman about my concern simple as that.

but why are you questioning me here? it's a good thing i wrote. being 18 and of voting age, i'm merely using my right express my opinion in the matters of congress and have said opinion be represented by the ones who i elect to represent me in congress. you learn this stuff in 5th grade watching school house rock, come on now.
Well where does theft and loss of sales come into the constitution?

No, it is not a good thing that you wrote.
You were willing to write to someone about a bill you had not read or understood. People like yourself are the reason why arbitration and caps on compensation exist. You get on the bandwagon of a false idea made by the media and go with it and never stop to do your own unbiased research. This is why democracy does not work. You don't get a plumber to fix your car, or a doctor to sort out your tax returns, so why should people with no idea over politics get a say?

oh god dammit.
[HEADING=1]CENSORSHIP OF COUNTERFEIT MATERIAL[/HEADING]

it's great that this included things like knock off brand crap sold on the internet that's made with poor quality that hinders the brand image of whatever they're knocking off (say a handbag that LOOKS like a coco channel handbag but isn't and falls apart in a month). however if those bribe stuffed senators took a minute to remember; we're in an economic crisis right now, not everyone has enough money to buy that coco channel handbag because it's fucking 300$-500$ w/e they charge at the mall. some people might prefer the 30$-50$ knockoff instead to save a little money, hell, they probably know that it's not Coco channel but buy it anyway b/c of the price.

but that's not my beef with censorship of counterfeit material. here's my beef; this idea of hurting brand name image or using copyrighted material/imagery goes overboard when court orders are issued without due process of law before a website is shut down to be ruined for everyone. think about it; there are 200 metric ton fucks of petty youtube videos with 4 to 429 views (i counted, 200 metric ton fucks) that feature copyrighted music in the background, whether it be a clear audio track or a fuzzy justin bieber song on some girls ipod, or copyrighted imagery included album artwork, stock photos, or even pictures of historic events like the civil war or holocaust that have copyrights held with....whoever holds copyrights for pictures taken during those time periods used for a class project about the civil war or holocaust.

this also applies to things that have imagery of copyrighted material including fanart, fan made videos, and videos with music remixes. that includes my god damned pony fan art. hell what about frye-frye's deviant art account? Lauren faust might be the executive prodeucer of MLP:FiM, but she has freehand sketches of ponies that look EXACTLY LIKE THEY DO IN THE SHOW BECAUSE SHE MADE THE FUCKING SHOW on her deviant art account which would mean SOPA would ask Deviant art to remove the content or be shut down. But she made the show! even though devaint art does recognize intellectual property copyrights, SOPA will force them to jump through hoops any. fan made things are shit that we the people make with inspiration in our eyes. the media corporations now realize with the introduction of the internet and it's ability to share files and information that we are not just brain dead vegetables in front of a TV, we are intelligent individuals with the intent of sharing information freely. this scares them. they want to subjagate us to their agendas.

With SOPA, youtube would be sent a notification that they'd be SHUT THE FUCK DOWN if they didn't take down the videos. however, like i said, there are 200 metric ton fucks, probably 300 metric ton fucks by the time i'm done typing this and 400 metric ton fucks by the time you read it, of videos, that already have appropriate credit given in the description when they're uploaded, with copyrighted material, and that X metric fuck tons of video is a LOT to exam within the time they're allowed to remove them so they wouldn't be able to remove all the videos in time before a court order would be issued to BLOCK YOUTUBE FROM THE INTERNET IN THE UNITED STATES. and even if youtube did manage to do this, they'd loose millions upon millions of users who enjoy watching, sharing, and uploading those kind of videos and would cripple their business model to the point where they'd be forced to go out of business.

[HEADING=3]I DON'T WANT YOUTUBE TO BE DESTROYED BECAUSE OF 200 METRIC TON FUCKS OF JUSTIN BIEBER FAN VIDEOS. I DON'T WANT TO LOOSE HUNDREDS OF HILARIOUS VIDEOS OF BILL O'REILLY LOOKING LIKE A FUCKING IDIOT SO I CAN SHOW MY FRIENDS. I WANT TO WATCH YOUTUBE'S ANNUAL LIVE STREAM OF ROCK IN RIO FOR WHEN IT COMES NEXT YEAR. WE NEED THE MANY THOUSANDS OR MILLIONS OF U.S. STUDENTS WHO NEED YOUTUBE FOR THEIR VIDEO PROJECT FOR SCHOOL TO BE A TOOL WHICH THEY CAN UPLOAD THEIR PROJECT FOR CLASS OR EVEN WANT TO USE YOUTUBE AS STARTING POINT FOR RESEARCH.[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]I FUCKING NEED YOUTUBE TO WATCH MY LITTLE PONY:FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC. I SWEAR TO CELESTIA AS MY WITNESS, I WILL START RIOTS AND FIRES IN THE STREETS IF LAMAR SMITH TAKES AWAY MY FUCKING PONIES. I'LL ORGANIZE AS MANY PROTESTS AS I NEED TO, I'LL GATHER MY FELLOW INTERNET USERS AND FILL THE JAILS, WE'LL MARCH ON WASHINGTON, WE'LL CRASH THE SENATORS CONGRESSMEN'S WEBSITES DAY AFTER DAY WITH COMPLAINTS LIKE WE DID TODAY IF THEY GET IN THE WAY OF OUR LITTLE POINES.[/HEADING]

DYVfA7dbWJc

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
IamLEAM1983 said:
Yeah I get why they do it but my point was there's nothing I can do about it. I have no vote in America, even having the name of someone from the UK would probably mean about as much as someone signing with an X on a petition. I'm pretty sure wikipedia has UK servers so a blackout here means absolutely nothing except annoying people.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
mega48man said:
<youtube=hc--dFFp7mY>

Seriously.

Raging won't get you anywhere on the internet, and on the Escapist it could get you banned pretty fast.
So word of advice: take a chill, giggle at the ghosties, and meditate. Contrary to popular belief, you can't release anger through physical action; it only acts as a means for temporary escape.

Hey, I'm angry about SOPA but you don't see me smashing words onto my keyboard. We'll get those pesky politicians eventually, so relax.

SoetSout

Sep 15, 2008
firstly you CANT stop pirating, i will stake my life saying that government will never be able to control all the hackers out there. all the programmers...

Sopa already has workaround tool created by hackers. Piracy will never be stopped, just a bit harder to obtain.

Whether or not people are for or against piracy is irrelavent with this bill. Google, reddit, wiki didnt go offline to protest they want piracy, they didnt want the governement messing up the internet, it would ruin internet, and TBH it would ruin one of my greatest hobbies... surfing the net talking shit, about random stuff.

but i wont be able to with that bill, if that bill exists escapist is dead, youtube is dead, twitter is dead, facebook is dead, reddit is dead, wikipedia is dead. who else... hmm Anime Fansub groups will be killed, newgrounds will definitly be killed.

all your favorite sites could be killed cause 99?% of sites you like(yea you know where this statistic came from) contain copyrighted material.

heck i can draft a beter bill then that for piracy, it would be tons more effective. never said best, just beter ^^

SoetSout

Sep 15, 2008
@Jimbo1212

i think you need to go read that bill again, cause clearly you dont understand how VAGUE it is. the problem is not how it fights or what its aimed at, its what else can it do..

you might know a bit about what your talking about , but myself and everyone else on this forums knows for a FACT you dont understand the bill completely.

and like i said before, they arent gona be able to combat piracy. The only slight possible chance is if, they slash game prices as sopa gets implemented.

Many sites are relying on videos, pictures.

Parody's will be stopped.
and o yea, US will loose alot of its website hosting to Switzerland.
Many companies can be shut down after one mistake from a user not tied to the company.

the problem is not what it intends, its what else it can do.
im a programmer, yet i can fix anything around the house just with a wikihow or youtube video. as long as i can follow instructions i dont need to call people out. but with sopa this will stop, i will need to phone larry to fix a cable for me..

some might say we need those jobs, i think we dont need to be such idiots that can only do one thing in life. and we will loose a lot more jobs if this gets passed.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
Ldude893 said:
mega48man said:
<youtube=hc--dFFp7mY>

Seriously.

Raging won't get you anywhere on the internet, and on the Escapist it could get you banned pretty fast.
So word of advice: take a chill, giggle at the ghosties, and meditate. Contrary to popular belief, you can't release anger through physical action; it only acts as a means for temporary escape.

Hey, I'm angry about SOPA but you don't see me smashing words onto my keyboard. We'll get those pesky politicians eventually, so relax.
lol thx. i was only emphasising SOPA's ramification to someone who sounded like they didn't understand, then ironically ended it with pony rage. thx though, i'm gonna go watch giggle at the ghosties now <3

SuperiorityComplex

Aug 15, 2011
I'm sitting reading through these posts going, "Okay, fine. So one person doesn't know what he's talking about but the person replying doesn't know what he's talking about because the first person who didn't know what he was talking about says so."

You're going round in circles and what's more, you know it. Claiming that most pirates would be unable to work how this is done is like claiming that most people don't like oranges. You don't go round in circles forever, you either pull out specific arguments to back yourself up or you back off.

It's strange how the two people in question most bleating that they 'know exactly what they're talking about' have pulled out links for the SOPA bill and said damn all else. Except 'read the bill' because "we understand it but you don't and since you don't, there's no point in us explaining it to you". Laymans terms were created for a reason, so that jargon can be explained. Now either turn around and give us a straight answer, in terms we the sheep can understand, or back off, because you can't explain shit otherwise. And the I'm right and you're wrong mentality doesn't work, it never has, and it never will.

And then realise I actually can't do shit about SOPA whether I supported it or not, because I'm not American. So no, there's not a damned thing I can do except ask you to clarify yourselves.