U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
Jimbo1212 said:
If you have read it then you would know that all the problems with SOPA are incorrect.
I have merely called your bluff and you have still not read it.
If so, point out the lines in which the bill calls for evidence.
You're point doesn't remain because that generalization made it wrong.

Don't like it that someone else has read it?
Or will you just claim that i haven't until i agree with you.

Because i honestly just can't be arsed with this shit.
It was about 2/ 10ths of the way in i say this because i haven't fucking memorized the bill.
Nor could i give a toss anymore.

I have better things to be doing with my life.

(ps, you ignored all my legitimate points and focused on the ones in which you thought you could get the upper hand, troll harder.)

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Jimbo1212 said:
If you have read it then you would know that all the problems with SOPA are incorrect.
I have merely called your bluff and you have still not read it.
If so, point out the lines in which the bill calls for evidence.
You're point doesn't remain because that generalization made it wrong.

Don't like it that someone else has read it?
Or will you just claim that i haven't until i agree with you.

Because i honestly just can't be arsed with this shit.
It was about 2/ 10ths of the way in i say this because i haven't fucking memorized the bill.
Nor could i give a toss anymore.

I have better things to be doing with my life.

(ps, you ignored all my legitimate points and focused on the ones in which you thought you could get the upper hand, troll harder.)
Ha, my point remains because I implied that the vast majority of people have not read the bill.
This is true.

And I love how you lied about reading the bill in hope that I too had not.
Well sadly for you I have, hence why I shot down all of your comments and criticisms about it as they were simply wrong. They are not legitimate, just wrong and I have said previously why.

Next time only join a debate if :
a) you know what it is about
b) you are willing to admit to being ill informed
...otherwise what is the point in posting? To get some nice circular logic going fuelled by misinformation?

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
theheroofaction said:
Well that was... anticlimatic.
Seriously, does anyone else realize that real life just pulled a Deus Ex Machina.

Any how, this calls for celebration.

Of all the victory youtube vids on display here today i can catagorically say that that was by far the best!

Sir I Salute you!

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I would cheer...
but I took an arrow to the kne-

Yeah, I still resent that joke. I would crack out the party poppers and watch movie's on youtube if I hadn't just learned about the return next month.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
The Cool Kid said:
Disasterpiece Press said:
Advocating something that would stop probably 80% of pirates seems a good idea. Due to the nature of IT, reducing it to 99.9% will be almost impossible, but reducing even 50% will help the industry regain billions of dollars.
Hurting for money? Last I checked game devs are dropping dead all around us. Would a reduction in piracy help? Probably.
The economic collapse due to the sub-prime market doesn't have anything to do with SOPA or piracy. The industries fund the art, and buying the art funds the industry.
Plus with Bills that intend to be misused, it's usually obvious from the outset as they try to plug none-issues e.g. compensation bills and arbitration. In this case, the main problem is piracy, not a fabricated problem to help push it through Congress.
Or, these industries could stop overcharging us for their product - they refuse to adapt. Most honest people would be willing to pay a reasonable, affordable price if they were given an option rather than "steal" it. I'm not that cynical.
And frankly, I don't think it is "stealing" in the common sense. Disagree all you want, but it is no different than someone giving you a present - you didn't pay for it, how can you be certain they did? Do you demand a receipt for authenticity every Christmas? Or if someone makes you a mixtape, do you turn it down because you aren't sure if the royalties are going to the correct people? And if that person did pay for it, and he or she is sharing it with you download, how is that theft? Because the person on the receiving end didn't pay for it? Again, there goes Christmas haha
You deftly claim this is about industries losing money, but you seem to have no problem with Google having to fit the bill to enforce it. And I own my own small business, and I could not afford it if a giant corporation decided to shut my site down and then I would have to sue or go through a lengthy process to get my site back up, which I couldn't afford - what I could afford is a few people "stealing" *ahem* sharing my product.

Disasterpiece Press

Jan 2, 2012
H31neken said:
Yay! Still worried about PIPA, though.
Also, what's with the US and acronyms?
We've grown extremely lazy in the mouth region.
Unless we are stuffing our faces with what constitutes for food these days.

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
The rest of the article deals with holes in SOPA. It's not perfect, but it's a start.
I beg to differ once more; when legislation like this has this many holes in it from the word go, when it raises this many concerns about security and stagnating the internet, when the best defenses that can be raised in its name are that the site in question must be 'dedicated to piracy' (a standard that lacks further explanation and could mean anything from TPB to video-hosting sites like YouTube due to the ability for people to post- as is often done -copywritten material, which can receive millions of views and subsequently provides profits via ads for the company regardless of the company's intentions or internal checks and balances against copyright violations) and that a false accusation could 'result in financial penalties' (which, while valid, would leave the afflicted company offline until such time as the specific case could be settled, by which time the losses may have been so significant they'll already be out of business and/or have lost their audience, potentially to the entity that 'wrongly' accused them), it is not a start.

It is dangerous, and poisonous to future legitimate efforts to affect piracy, because future bills can and will be related by their enemies to this one. If it passes, it's dangerous, and if it fails, its specter will haunt future efforts to curtail piracy for some time after. SOPA is not a friend for the anti-piracy movement; it is a threat.

Bluntman1138

Aug 12, 2011
How would this be translated by Luther???

"Mutha F-ers, i still be downloadin Skyrim and CoD. Deal wit dat"...

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
TopazFusion said:
The Cool Kid said:
to any mildly skilled hacker, it's a joke.
And SOPA would stop them dead in their tracks?

Please, for the love of God, choose your argument and stick with it.
Continually changing your argument to throw people off is not how you win a debate.
Come on now, give the guy a chance. He HAS to win somehow. If he isn't winning some stupid debate on the internet (Which he is so wrong anyways) then his life is MEANINGLESS!

Though I think the truth is he just likes to piss people off. He first went after MLP fans, then to the Minecraft fans, and now SOPA anti-supporters. He just trying to get his sick kicks off getting replies. So lets just forget about him and not even reply to him at all.

Like how he does to everyone else who provided a good counter-argument which he refuse to acknowledge.

w00tage

Feb 8, 2010
alandavidson said:
w00tage said:
Even though the store had the work available at full price (or even on sale) all year, all of those people went to the store on "free day" instead, so it's a far more certain conclusion that they never would have bought it at all.
The main difference between the example "free day", and a pirate torrent is that stores actually purchase products from the distributor upfront. They pay a price per unit that is set by the distributor, and that's counted as the DVD sale that I get my residual from. After that, it's up to the store owners as to what they do with it. If they want to sell the DVD for $100 they can legally do that and keep all of the profits. If they want to give it away, it doesn't hurt the distributor, or me because the DVD has already been purchased by the store and we already have our respective paychecks.

When a DVD is up for illegal download, there is no purchase from the distributor, and there is no paycheck for anyone. There's no way of knowing whether or not the 1 million people who torrented the DVD in the last example I gave would have purchased the DVD to begin with, but it's a pretty fair bet to say that if a store was giving away a DVD they would pick up a copy (I know I would). But them picking up a free DVD at the store doesn't hurt anyone because the DVD, at some point, has been paid for. A torrent is never paid for. And that does cost studios in sales, and hurts people from the top down.

And this is where I reiterate that I think that studios should offer more for free. More clips, old movies for free streaming, even giveaways of new stuff. There are some that are doing this with sites dedicated to free streaming, and networks were doing it until the Writer's Guild made them stop so that they could renegotiate their contracts to include "new media". Fortunately SAG and AFTRA (the film and television unions, respectively) stepped in and helped sort it out, and we're seeing more and more streaming again.

I agree that more for free is a great thing, but there has to be a purchase or ad revenue somewhere along the line, or smaller guys like me will eventually be forced to give it up and find something else to do. And that sucks.

Well, yeah, the store was just a setting for the analogy so it breaks down there. My point was that people who have the chance to buy, but don't, are proving that they weren't going to buy it anyways, even if they lose the ability to view it unlicensed. So I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that point.

However, if by chance some bill does pass and unlicensed viewing goes away, I will bet that any increase in sales is a tiny fraction - if any at all - of the unlicensed views, aka "piracy".

However, I wasn't saying and don't defend a position of "more free is good". That's not my model, I just want to know that I want what I'm buying - per caveat emptor rules - before forking over the money. Entertainment doesn't give you the chance to inspect what you're buying first, and everyone has walked out of a theator or turned off the TV going "well, that wasn't worth it". So the chance to watch first is what I'm after (on things I can't actually see on licensed sites that is, I have Netflix and Hulu, etc. and wait for US productions to show up there). The only things I remember watching that I really liked and didn't buy are not available for purchase in the US (QI, etc.). And I still check every one, because I have no problem supporting the creators.

Re your other point about studios giving more away, I honestly believe it's the middlemen in the process that are causing the problems. They get in between creators and consumers so they can get dollars (or tens of dollars) where you get pennies, so the price is both massively inflated at the point of purchase, and much of that is not going to you or the other productive parts of the process, its getting lost in Hollywood accounting.

My hope is that we'll get artist->consumer works going with the middlemen reduced to their proper role as servants of the process instead of masters. I would bet that the prices drop massively while the revenues to the artists increase by the same amount.

ConstantErasing

Sep 26, 2011
If this is the case, awesome. I will try not to get too excited yet unless I hear about something more official. Still, yay!

Charisma

Oct 28, 2008
Feels a lot like an episode of Captain Planet: the evil plans of the bad guys with their corporate interests are foiled by the little protagonist heroes, BUT THEY'LL BE BACK.... SOON

Von Strimmer

Apr 17, 2011
SOPA is still kicking around and has allegedly not been shelved
http://torrentfreak.com/sopa-is-baaack-120117/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter