U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
?That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.?

SOPA only rests. It will return.
You automatically get a billion bro points for mentioning that horrific verse. A. Billion.

OT: Hurray! I suspected that the White House would do something like this. Good to see my tax payer dollars are doing something. Mister Obama? You are looking better and better for 2012 all the time.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
Viva l'internet revolution!

Honestly living in Britain SOPA wouldn't affect me as much as it would Americans but I've been following the bills progress and hoping it dosen't pass. Now go deal with PIPA would you kindly?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Diablo1099 said:
And in the spirit of this win, I will post Copyrighted material.
Play it again Bison, Play it again...
I realize you already posted it, but still...

Now that we got that out of the way...

The Cool Kid said:
This is disgusting. Almost all the criticisms were based on lies. The fact that this is seen as some sort of victory is appauling and shows how few have bothered to read the bill and how mass ignorance has controlled the internet and will simply harm the industries we love so much.
Please, kindly explain exactly what you mean.

EDIT: Fuck it, don't even bother. I read your other posts. I'm happy enough about this to pull out hipster logic and say "you just don't get it, man."

Or "U MAD BRO?"

That works too.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
This is disgusting. Almost all the criticisms were based on lies. The fact that this is seen as some sort of victory is appauling and shows how few have bothered to read the bill and how mass ignorance has controlled the internet and will simply harm the industries we love so much.
Y'know what, i won't even bother.

OP: YESSSS!!!
This is good news.
Good news indeed.

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
It's not over yet; PIPA is still up for a vote soon, and chances are good that SOPA's only being shelved until after the elections, when people will theoretically have their guards down. I hate to be such a pessimistic downer, but it's not going to truly be done with until both bills are properly dead and those who co-sponsored it are voted out of office. I'll breathe a sigh of relief for now, but after that, I'll go back to holding my breath.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Flight said:
It's not over yet; PIPA is still up for a vote soon, and chances are good that SOPA's only being shelved until after the elections, when people will theoretically have their guards down. I hate to be such a pessimistic downer, but it's not going to truly be done with until both bills are properly dead and those who co-sponsored it are voted out of office. I'll breathe a sigh of relief for now, but after that, I'll go back to holding my breath.
Even a small victory is a victory. It's a step in the right direction, and for now, it's a big enough one to celebrate.

Rhys95

May 16, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
You may regret saying that on the internet....where all the Anti-Sopa types are....

Flight

Mar 13, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
Even a small victory is a victory. It's a step in the right direction, and for now, it's a big enough one to celebrate.
You make quite a good point. Unfortunately, after what happened with the NDAA, I'm still nervous.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
The Cool Kid said:
So... if we were all lied to, what would SOPA do?
Because, y'know, i'm pretty fine about it not being enacted even if i believed you.
Listen, Dr. Phil, I honestly believe the guy doesn't understand the issue, so I think we should just leave it alone and enjoy the victory. Just go on fucking that Awesomeface.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
The Cool Kid said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
The Cool Kid said:
Because, y'know, i'm pretty fine about it not being enacted even if i believed you.
Rhys95 said:
The Cool Kid said:
You may regret saying that on the internet....where all the Anti-Sopa types are....
So you are happy to pirate? Is that what you are saying?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.338364-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA#13689437

Because all the criticisms for SOPA are based on lies. Have a read yourself, the actual bill is linked in the link above.
... A massive tangential jump in logic, twisting things around to make your opponent sound like a bad person... that's a Strawman argument, right?

Am I finally using that word right?

Just because he doesn't support SOPA doesn't mean he does support piracy. Don't make bullshit claims. You aren't helping yourself.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Obvious troll is obvious.
But still, i'd like to point out that what you said was like saying 'Eating oranges encourages cannibalism'.

So... are you actually going to answer my question of what the bill would actually do if it was passed?

Also, the answer is no, i don't advocate piracy, i have never EVER pirated anything.

Sizzle Montyjing

Apr 5, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
Listen, Dr. Phil, I honestly believe the guy doesn't understand the issue, so I think we should just leave it alone and enjoy the victory. Just go on fucking that Awesomeface.
You are fucking awesome.
(ps, who's Dr. Phil? I just splice this shit together)

Also, i agree *pops open the bubbly*

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
The Cool Kid said:
Rhys95 said:
The Cool Kid said:
So you are happy to pirate? Is that what you are saying?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.338364-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA#13689437

Because all the criticisms for SOPA are based on lies. Have a read yourself, the actual bill is linked in the link above.
You still don't seem to understand. See this bill would have serious reprecutions on the technical infastructure of the internet. Don't fuck with the damn DNS. Also I'm well aware of what the bill does.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/22/2648219/stop-online-piracy-act-sopa-what-is-it