U.S. Congress Shelves SOPA

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
The Cool Kid said:
-snippity-
Okay, which company does your daddy run?

My biggest concern was for people like ThatGuyWithTheGlasses, Tobuscus and Cinnemassacare. They're the kind of people who would be affected by this law if the corporations got douchey. Politicians could say all they want that it wouldn't affect them, but in the end if the companies didn't like what they were doing, they would lose their jobs.

Not being able to pirate would mean nothing to me. The world has Hulu and Youtube and Netflix and my lifestyle wouldn't be impacted one bit. The problems were with the other parts of this bill. I don't need to repeat it though. Many other posters have already done that.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to celebrate this victory.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Let's see.... What's the oddsmakers saying on how we'll get screwed? My own personal odds put it at 50% PIPA passing and 50% SOPA getting bolted onto the next military spending bill or some bill that also increases the minimum jail time for child molesters and is therefore unkillable.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The Cool Kid said:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.338364-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA#13689437
It's in this very thread...

The full implications are lined up in the bill. I have a feeling it just boiled down to google and other companies didn't want to have to spend money enforcing SOPA.

Read the Bill; they are almost all misinformed. Think about it - you are against the Bill yet did you ever read it? In fact how many of the people on this site are against SOPA and how many have actually read the Bill? Is it now such a ludicrous claim to suggest many are misinformed? And you could abuse the Bill, but then you'd have to pay damages as shown in section 103.6. It's all in the bill - enjoy reading.
So why are even the very people who invented the internet against this bill? Why are law students like TotalBiscuit against the bill? Are they all misinformed? I doubt it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Hold on, I forgot to put this in an earlier post.`

I find it to be very fitting.

Outcast107

Mar 20, 2009
I swear if you look at both The Cool Kid and Jimbo they are the same person. They both say the same thing, maybe word differently but still the same. Anyways just like everyone else VICTORY SCREECH! Hopefully this time if they do bill like SOPA they will actually do it right.

EDIT:

THE DANCE OF JOY!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
After they managed to pass that stupid healthcare bill, I am surprised they actually did this with SOPA. I guess there really is power in the White House.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
?That is not dead which can eternal lie,
And with strange aeons even death may die.?

SOPA only rests. It will return.
I'm figuring not with this congress, but someone down the road will get it in their brain to try again. Nobody's touching anything like this bill until after the elections at the least.
I get the impression Protect IP is less popular in congress than SOPA was, so I think we really can breathe a sigh of relief.

Marik Bentusi

Aug 20, 2010
I hope this celebration won't swamp the internet. SOPA is defused, but not destroyed, and what's more important, the Protect IP Act, which is pretty much SOPA v1.01, is still going. This Plan B must not be successfully executed while people forget the threat after the party. Media attention span is short-lived enough to make this happen.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
Hmmm...Obama blocked this? I...eh...hmm. I may have to reconsider my decision not to vote for his reelection...

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
2fish like, but must not lower our guard we must. Legislation not make one great.

SOPA is now sleeping, meanwhile PIPA is learning from SOPA's failings.

Next week on congressional high school romance

Will APOS rise to hunt vampires or the internet?

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
It will use DNS manipulation to inact its "penalty" that will cause destabilization of the world net and stop plans to move forward with the new protocals.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
The Cool Kid said:
Why do you have to be an expert to read a Bill? Or just going on a strawman?
Why can't you read the bill and come to your own conclusions?
Read the Bill; it's really not complex.
You are asking me why you need to be an expert in law to fully understand a bill of law?
Hmmmm, let me think.
Reading and understanding are different things, i read that bill ,but didn't understand a word of it.

Quite clever of your really, giving a complex bill to the ordinary person who knows fuck all about it.
Then again i doubt you do either, judging by your use of the the 'come to your own conclusions'. It's a bill of law, not an interpretation.

Then again judging by your join date and forum health bar, you seem to have a... reputation.

Ruwrak

Sep 15, 2009
Would have been impossible to have it pass anyway.
But good to see there are still some sensible heads in the USA.
Even though Europe would feel it less I think.

Anyway, celebration time *goes off to post copyrighted material on YouTube*

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
The Cool Kid said:
So you have read the bill then? If so then please tell me what the problem is with making sure pirating doesnt happen and increasing the penalties on importing dangerous and illegal goods.
If you truly cared about poltics and America you wouldn't wield false dichotomies like a cavalry rider wields his saber, cutting through intellegent discourse left and right with calculated cunning and unmitigated lust for slaughter.

Now, to address something you brought up:

Yes, you can persue damages for false action using the bill, however by the time you seek redress IT'S TOO LATE because that action has already resulted in the complete shutdown of your domain at a fundamental level.

Good luck funding your lawsuit, because your income has been stripped of you, along with your domain name, and any ways for you to do perfectly legal business.

It puts the onus onto the content provider to prove his content is legal before he can show it, rather than putting the onus on the copyright holder to prove the content is illegal. This is, of course, ASS BACKWARDS.

In order for holders of intellectual properties to stop, they have to display in the courts, using a preponderance of evidence, that their rights are being infringed. SOPA and PIPA give them a weapon that allows them to skip the requirement of preponderance of evidence, and go straight into action before it's been examined in a court of law. This goes against the central concepts of civil law.