U.S. Isolation: Good or Bad?

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
Should they isolate themselves from the rest of the world? No, there nothing to benefit from.
Should they stop acting as the world police? Yes, let other countries deal with their own crap just like you should be doing.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
robman1130 said:
Amnestic said:
Define "mind its own business". That has a load of connotations and I'm not sure which one I should be debating.

Should they stop trying to "bring democracy to other countries"? Probably. You should probably hurry up and pull out of Iraq and Afghanistan while you're at it.

Should they close off the borders, restrict trade, eliminate all immigration and build a 500ft high wall around their country? Ah, no. Considering how much of the U.S. deficit other countries own, they actually can't isolate themselves. They rely on other countries and other countries rely on them.

Best thing you could do is stop spending 0.7-1.1 trillion dollars a year on defense and military costs. Seriously. That's just farkin' stupid.
takes alota money to be too big to fail
How is the war against a bunch of unorganised, untrained insurgents armed with AK-47s going?

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
For me it depends on the situation, I mean, if somebody is threatening the US or its allies(or heavily funding the enemies of the U.S) and attacks, or is moving towards an attack, then we should go and take care of the issue if it cant be solved by talking.

I don't really care about other countries opinions for the simple fact that they aren't the United States and therefore they don't understand the situation or the importance of protecting the United States. Now if the unfortunate scenario was happening to Great Britain and some sad excuse for a country threatens to start wrecking their stuff what do I care if Great Britain goes over and kicks some ass? I don't. They have the right to defend their people or property.

I mean at the end of the day you need to name scenarios and I'm sure as hell not agreeing to total isolationism for the following reasons:
N Korea
Russia
Iran
Venezuela

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
It's influence has proven to be quite bad for the rest of the world the past years:
- The war in Iraq
- The Economical Crisis
- Global Warming(hey big countries pollute more)
- Twilight (What more do you)

I'm not saying cut off all relations with the outer world but stop throwing all that garbage upon us innocent creatures

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
it's neither good or bad, it's stupid lol. In a world where the US has developed Globalisation and forced other countries to sign free trade treaties, and then retracts himself... that's hipocrite and badly seen by the others.

brenatevi

Jul 31, 2007
MelziGurl said:
Should they stop acting as the world police? Yes, let other countries deal with their own crap just like you should be doing.
The interesting side effect of letting "countries deal with their own crap" is that people get angry when the United States does NOT do anything. Remember Darfur? People complained to no end about how the US didn't do a damned thing. So, are we supposed to stop genocide or not?

And then, there's the one thing that I haven't seen brought up: let's say that the US does stop being the world cop, who's going to fill that power vacuum?

I have nothing against the Europeans, but I don't have much faith in the European Union stepping up, and not because they are bad people, but because they have enough problems on their own front doorsteps. And let's not forget that a lot of the current world problems stem from their antics in the past 500 years. Maybe they've changed enough to be good leaders, maybe not.

How about the Russians? Excuse me, while I go toss up my lunch. The Russian people really like their strong leaders, to the point that they still vote Stalin as one of their best leaders (this comes from a friend of mine that majors in Russian studies.) Do you want a group of people like that leading the world?

China? China is pretty much a closed society from what I've read, unless they view something as being under their domain. Not going to say more than that, because I would be arrested for having an opinion.

There are others like Brazil and India, which are intriguing, but I don't know enough to form a "valid" opinion of them.

But I have left out the elephant in the room: the UN. If I was going to vote for the worst system of government ever, the UN would be it; I would vote for being ruled by dyslexic orangutans before I would let myself be ruled by the UN. The UN Security Council is one of the biggest jokes in the world, with a few of the sitting nations as being mostly irrelevant, and leaving out some of the newer powers on the block (the aforementioned Brazil and India). I could probably make jokes for hours on end about how corrupt and poorly ran the UN is, but I'm getting bored with my own ranting, so it can't good for everyone else. I'm just glad the UN doesn't have more teeth, or things might go very badly indeed.

firedfns13

Jun 4, 2009
49%?
What about the percentage that thinks we should make a new world order on the basis of the Global Defense Initiative.

You know you want to...

As for US Isolationalism? There would be no point, we're still going to be blamed/dragged into shit because of everyone else. Even if we stopped garrisoning foreign countries, you'd still have people trying to attack us for being the great satan or trying to get us to go in and protect so and so.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
brenatevi said:
MelziGurl said:
The interesting side effect of letting "countries deal with their own crap" is that people get angry when the United States does NOT do anything. Remember Darfur? People complained to no end about how the US didn't do a damned thing. So, are we supposed to stop genocide or not?

And then, there's the one thing that I haven't seen brought up: let's say that the US does stop being the world cop, who's going to fill that power vacuum?

I have nothing against the Europeans, but I don't have much faith in the European Union stepping up, and not because they are bad people, but because they have enough problems on their own front doorsteps. And let's not forget that a lot of the current world problems stem from their antics in the past 500 years. Maybe they've changed enough to be good leaders, maybe not.

How about the Russians? Excuse me, while I go toss up my lunch. The Russian people really like their strong leaders, to the point that they still vote Stalin as one of their best leaders (this comes from a friend of mine that majors in Russian studies.) Do you want a group of people like that leading the world?

China? China is pretty much a closed society from what I've read, unless they view something as being under their domain. Not going to say more than that, because I would be arrested for having an opinion.

There are others like Brazil and India, which are intriguing, but I don't know enough to form a "valid" opinion of them.

But I have left out the elephant in the room: the UN. If I was going to vote for the worst system of government ever, the UN would be it; I would vote for being ruled by dyslexic orangutans before I would let myself be ruled by the UN. The UN Security Council is one of the biggest jokes in the world, with a few of the sitting nations as being mostly irrelevant, and leaving out some of the newer powers on the block (the aforementioned Brazil and India). I could probably make jokes for hours on end about how corrupt and poorly ran the UN is, but I'm getting bored with my own ranting, so it can't good for everyone else. I'm just glad the UN doesn't have more teeth, or things might go very badly indeed.
America is like an insecure bully, someone says something demeaning about your manliness so you have to throw a few punches to prove them wrong/save face? Why do you let what others say get to you? I don't want just one country to have absolute power over the other, I don't want another country to fill the shoes of another. I would like to see more than one country co-operating with others to reach a peaceful goal, not just one running around trying to solve others problems. You know why other countries complain about America not getting involved? Because they are too use to America doing their dirty work and when it's all said an done they'll blame the shit on you anyway.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Yes and no. In the terms of war I say only interfere if U.S interests are in danger or an allie requests assistance. But joining a war for minimal gain is not worth it or only small amounts or unimportant interests are in danger.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
brenatevi said:
I dunno the UN with teeth did a pretty good job of stopping Slobodan Milosevic. The problem is that because the UN is toothless now trying to get anything done through it (like say, Iran or North Korea) is a laughable gesture. with no real force to back up the threats and sanctions rogue nations can continue to play a dangerous game of chicken.

The better question is what you think would work better since you seem to have the inside track on how useless the UN is. And I don't mean that in a hostile way, I am honestly curious, even though you seem to make it clear that apparently the US is the only one who can do anything, which is funny since ever since 2000 we have done nothing. We didn't even really stop the Taliban.

One country should not police the rest, that isn't smart or safe.

VulcanJoo

Dec 1, 2009
Isolationism is always a path to disaster. When countries turn inward they crumble. I'm not saying I like how my country is handling things at the moment but America has certain responsibilities as the only superpower in the world (for the moment, wait 15 years and here comes china). Lest we forget it was American "meddling" that saved the world from both Nazi's and Commie's! Thats not to say we did a great job but at least we're all not speaking German or Russian.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Beowulf DW said:
According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, covered in a recent article of the Centre Daily Times, 49% of Americans (the highest percentage in decades) now believe that the U.S. should "mind its own business."

Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Would the U.S. and the World be better off if we just keep to ourselves for a little while?
Yes, but a similar percent believe the Moon landing never happened, 9/11 was an inside job, and Intelligent design is a valid scientific theory. Basically, people are stupid en masse.

Anywho, mind its own business...hmm... depends on how they indeed to interact with the world in future. If they continue to keep most of the world bent over a table and shaft it up the arse, then yeah, please keep to your own borders. If they plan to actually try and help the world for the benefit of EVERYONE, then please stay!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
VulcanJoo said:
Isolationism is always a path to disaster. When countries turn inward they crumble. I'm not saying I like how my country is handling things at the moment but America has certain responsibilities as the only superpower in the world (for the moment, wait 15 years and here comes china). Lest we forget it was American "meddling" that saved the world from both Nazi's and Commie's! Thats not to say we did a great job but at least we're all not speaking German or Russian.
Which country are you from? (you don't say and at the time of writting, its not on your profile)

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
yoyo13rom said:
It's influence has proven to be quite bad for the rest of the world the past years:
- The war in Iraq
- The Economical Crisis
- Global Warming(hey big countries pollute more)
- Twilight (What more do you)

I'm not saying cut off all relations with the outer world but stop throwing all that garbage upon us innocent creatures
i dont see how the war in Iraq effects many other countries that are not involved or infested with terrorist sympathyses (cant spell, sorry). The U.S is not the only cause of the economic crisis and China is much worse than the U.S. the last one i agree with except blam it on the author because most adult men, which is the majority of the government, hate it with a passion. (i know u were sarcastic with the last one so was i)

VulcanJoo

Dec 1, 2009
I am from America. Actually right in the middle too (Missouri). I am a white Christian (sorta) male! Oh noes.lol

VulcanJoo

Dec 1, 2009
The war in Iraq does effect other countries in that they finance a lot of it and it gives the radical Muslims a place to focus their attack on the West. Thankfully Iraq seems to finally be getting manageable but now Afghanistan is going to hell in a handbasket

VulcanJoo

Dec 1, 2009
Doug said:
Beowulf DW said:
According to a recent Pew Research Center survey, covered in a recent article of the Centre Daily Times, 49% of Americans (the highest percentage in decades) now believe that the U.S. should "mind its own business."

Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Would the U.S. and the World be better off if we just keep to ourselves for a little while?
Yes, but a similar percent believe the Moon landing never happened, 9/11 was an inside job, and Intelligent design is a valid scientific theory. Basically, people are stupid en masse.

Anywho, mind its own business...hmm... depends on how they indeed to interact with the world in future. If they continue to keep most of the world bent over a table and shaft it up the arse, then yeah, please keep to your own borders. If they plan to actually try and help the world for the benefit of EVERYONE, then please stay!

We do want to help. America is a very idealistic country. However you have to remember at least a 1/4 of our country is retarded,unread, and has the attention span of a vole. So our help is sort of a mixed bag.