U.S. Senator Says Violent Games Are "Practice Simulators"

Ticonderoga117

Nov 9, 2009
...Seriously? I love this country, but the people steering the ship continually, to the surprise of no one sadly, come off as complete morons. If this was true, I've "practiced" so much I could outgun an entire battalion of Marines and at worse get a scrapped knee.

Sidenote: Yay! Not from my state!

Jaden Kazega

Nov 12, 2011
Therumancer said:
At the end of the day it's just more of the same, the issue will go on until they find another boogie man. Right now by harping on video games it gives the politicians something to talk about and pretend they are taking action while they try and avoid any kind of strong action on things like immigration, or actually cracking down on the elements of society doing violence (gangs, terrorists, etc...) as they all come with touchy issues and any position in any direction that could potentially be effective or make a differance comes with enough enemies and opposition to be tantamount to political suicide.
I think this just about sums it up, like you said: violent video games are just the 'flavor of the month', or in this case... year? More like decade at this point. If they were targeting solely games like Battlefield, Call of Duty, or the Grand Theft Auto series, their opinions and statements wouldn't bother me nearly as much. The term 'violent' video game, however, is a fairly broad term to use, since the word 'violent' could be twisted to encompass almost anything -- especially in a country where even so much as throwing water on someone can be considered assault. The realistic military shooter is still a fairly-recent development, and actually think that it's our own gun culture/gun worship which has influenced video game culture in recent years.

At the end of the day, logic and reason will win out... at least one would hope. lol

EDIT: Also, on the topic of military shooters, while I'm not a police officer or in any branch of the military myself, I have been trained in some firearms and know how to use them. As anyone else will tell you, pulling a game controller trigger and a 'real' trigger (while one may think them to be similar) feel entirely different; though, this would be more directed to people who think military shooters train people on how to operate guns...

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Mr. Omega said:
I'm just going to post this video every time a politician starts talking about how bad fake guns are while we haven't passed any sort of laws to fix up our loophole-filled, poorly enforced gun laws.

Feinstein is regarded as one of the most far-left politicians when it comes to gun laws. Whether this is a good idea or not, she's not a hypocrite.

She's still stupid though.

songnar

Modulator
Oct 26, 2008
Well then, let's have our friend actually play a few of these "simulators" herself and see what knowledge she comes out of it with.

If she can use the knowledge earned in the violence sim to actually use some of those same guns in real-world practice, I'll consider giving the thought some creed.

I'll even let her watch some movies with violence, maybe even some books. (Frankly, I feel more threatened by someone reading books on the subject, though, as there is far, far more attention to detail given in that medium.)

Stop scapegoating. "It's not those shorts that make you look fat, it's your fat that makes you look fat."

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
And here we go again. I'm just glad there's Supreme Court precedent in our favor. RECENT Supreme Court precedent, at that.

Still, looks like we got ourselves one more old fart who needs to die off before people stop blaming video games. Just like they stopped blaming books, movies, and tv.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
You know, it's good we don't have that many games like Deus Ex or Fallout where you can lie to get what we want, we may be teaching our kids to be politicians when they grow up.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Andy Chalk said:
Ms. Feinstein, you have no idea what you're talking about. Please go educate yourself and then come back when you're not going to make an idiot of yourself. Or maybe focus on things that need to be done - like passing a budget.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Rex Dark said:
Really?
Another one who thinks games can be used as a simulator for using guns?

I vote they put everyone who thinks so into an institution. Both the politicians and the ones who would try to use it like that.

Also... Am I the only one who thinks she looks like professor Umbridge?
The one from the movies, definitely.

We could hope that crazy spree shooters just trained themselves with video games, then people could tackle them to the ground while they spin around with a sniper rifle or tbag a corpse.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
I'm not even going to rebut this. It is basically the old "Rock and role will turn you to the devil and make you gay" thing.

It's a politician trying to get attention nothing else. Fuck her.

As far as I can see atop my giant K/D ratio is that none of those bodies are actual bodies. Not something every one can say nowadays.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
She's right of course. And thanks to Amateur Surgeon I'm now opening my own clinic, Mortal Combat has made me a Black Belt, and Dead Space has made me a Master Engineer.

Chatboy 91

Feb 25, 2011
What's that? Feinstein's an idiot? I could've told you that years ago. After all, she's the moron who introduced the AWB.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Yes, and Mike Tyson's Punchout taught me to be a championship boxer, Pong made me an awesome tennis player, and Mario taught me to jump on bad guys to defeat them... This is a such dead end thinking.

RipRoaringWaterfowl

Jun 20, 2011
jackdeesface said:
Is this just a Yank thing? I swear I've never heard British politics going on about games like this. Or is the focus of american politics on damning games just misrepresented on this site because every time anyone comes out with an offhand comment its posted as news?
In the UK theres only one to mind: Keith Vaz. And you may have heard of Michael Atkinson, semi-retired former Attorney-General in South Australia. Both have been quiet for a long while.

There are those outside of the US, but they're rarer... yet, when they speak, this can make them louder.

OT: So Feinstein has just jumped off the deep end... well, she never did much after the AWB anyways, and its usefulness is debatable.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Wasn't this entire attitude the reason desert bus was created?

wikipedia said:
Penn Jillette commented in his radio show that the overly realistic nature of the game was in response to Janet Reno's comments in support of the moral panic about violent video games at the time
yup.

Azex

Jan 17, 2011
I wonder what retarded things the people of power will complain about once all these old fools have died off and all there positions are held by the current generation.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
okay I admit that I had a pretty good idea how to manage a gun the first time I shot one because I played video games (like how to load the clip and whatnot), but then again I found it more educating just to look it up online (here's a picture of a gun. here's the safety...etc etc)

anyway...don't live in California, but if I did I'd be sure to remember her name for elections time.