Ubisoft Accused of Demanding Good Assassin's Creed 2 Review

Mar 17, 2009
4,095
0
0
j0z said:
OT- Good for that magazine, and I am glad that they let everyone know that EA tried to do that.
Think back to your school days, elementary school to be exact. Was reading not exactly your "forte"?
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
BenzSmoke said:
If that's true then EA should be slapped.
If that isn't true then Computer Bild Spiele should be slapped.

I'd like to think EA wouldn't do something like this.
It's Ubisoft. Seriously, why is it that whenever a company does something underhanded that is not Activision, people assume it's EA?
 

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
4,887
0
0
Aura Guardian said:
I can't blame them due to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
That's a good point, but AC2 is still popular enough to get there without a good review.

It just shows Ubisoft's lack of self confidence.
 

Suskie

New member
Nov 9, 2009
210
0
0
BenzSmoke said:
If that's true then EA should be slapped.
If that isn't true then Computer Bild Spiele should be slapped.

I'd like to think EA wouldn't do something like this.
IT'S NOT EA. IT'S UBISOFT. Christ.

Edit: Nevermind, someone already beat me to this one.
 

Aura Guardian

New member
Apr 23, 2008
5,114
0
0
Sevre90210 said:
Aura Guardian said:
I can't blame them due to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
That's a good point, but AC2 is still popular enough to get there without a good review.

It just shows Ubisoft's lack of self confidence.
Compared to how popular the Call of Duty franchise is? Especially Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
They lack a lot self confidence after reading how much that game sold in one day.
 
Nov 28, 2007
10,686
0
0
Glefistus said:
thebobmaster said:
BenzSmoke said:
If that's true then EA should be slapped.
If that isn't true then Computer Bild Spiele should be slapped.

I'd like to think EA wouldn't do something like this.
It's Ubisoft. Seriously, why is it that whenever a company does something underhanded that is not Activision, people assume it's EA?
Bad publishers deserve bad rep. Just my opinion though.
And EA has been trying to turn over a new leaf for the past few years, ever since they got a new CEO (I think Riccitello is new, anyways). I mean, they apologized for what they did to Westwood, admitted they screwed that up, started publishing original games (not that it's done them any good, since game fans are a fickle bunch that seem to demand creativity, but ignore original games because "It's not done right") and overall, have done a lot to try to improve their image, knowing that they were considered to be the worst of the worst in publishing. But that's just my opinion. I apologize for the rant. It wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just needed to get out the frustration I feel towards people who treat EA like they are still the studio-wrecking, Madden-and-nothing-else game company they were several years ago.
 

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
4,887
0
0
Aura Guardian said:
Sevre90210 said:
Aura Guardian said:
I can't blame them due to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
That's a good point, but AC2 is still popular enough to get there without a good review.

It just shows Ubisoft's lack of self confidence.
Compared to how popular the Call of Duty franchise is? Especially Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2.
They lack a lot self confidence after reading how much that game sold in one day.
I'm boycotting that game for Bad Company 2 anyway. I was in Game the other day and a bunch of little kids came up to me and asked me to buy it for them because of the 18+ rating. If it wasn't completely overhyped I would've, but I saved their souls!
 

NapalmBob

New member
May 27, 2009
32
0
0
Games are sold via reviews. Just like music is sold via the radio. The only difference here is that Ubisoft are being blatant dicks about it. And that games usually get better with sequels, unlike CDs. And movies. I guess thats two differences then.
 

loremazd

New member
Dec 20, 2008
573
0
0
I'm taking this news with a grain of salt, as really there's little hard evidence and the magazine can only gain sales from this.
 

saejox

New member
Mar 4, 2009
274
0
0
my local magazine gave AC2 a 9.6/10 about a week ago. They even called the review "First one".

honestly, it trust them. Game is good, but since they managed to get past the review ambargo; it must be true.
 

dekkarax

New member
Apr 3, 2008
1,213
0
0
Glefistus said:
thebobmaster said:
Glefistus said:
thebobmaster said:
BenzSmoke said:
If that's true then EA should be slapped.
If that isn't true then Computer Bild Spiele should be slapped.

I'd like to think EA wouldn't do something like this.
It's Ubisoft. Seriously, why is it that whenever a company does something underhanded that is not Activision, people assume it's EA?
Bad publishers deserve bad rep. Just my opinion though.
And EA has been trying to turn over a new leaf for the past few years, ever since they got a new CEO (I think Riccitello is new, anyways). I mean, they apologized for what they did to Westwood, admitted they screwed that up, started publishing original games (not that it's done them any good, since game fans are a fickle bunch that seem to demand creativity, but ignore original games because "It's not done right") and overall, have done a lot to try to improve their image, knowing that they were considered to be the worst of the worst in publishing. But that's just my opinion. I apologize for the rant. It wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just needed to get out the frustration I feel towards people who treat EA like they are still the studio-wrecking, Madden-and-nothing-else game company they were several years ago.

I realize EA is working to improve their image, but then I remember DRM and all the old feelings come back.
not every game with secuROM was made by EA; I think the pc version of Bioshock had it too (though I may be wrong).
 

Chrissyluky

New member
Jul 3, 2009
985
0
0
ive never liked ubisoft since they turned into the greatest series killer ever. splinter cell rainbow six etc. good for that company for slapping ubisoft in the face and saying no.
 

PAGEToap44

New member
Jul 16, 2008
1,242
0
0
8-Bit_Jack said:
I call bullshit. The FRENCH trying to order the GERMANS around?

just doesnt make sense, is all.
Aaah, you would be reffering to the world wars. However if you look at what happened between the wars you'll see that France was a bit of a bully. I'm talking about the Treaty of Versailles of course.

Anyway, I doubt Ubisoft would do something like that. Looking at some posts about German censorship I can see why they might have done something like that though.

Doesn't matter, I'm still going to buy the game..... and love every minute of it.
 

DeathWyrmNexus

New member
Jan 5, 2008
1,143
0
0
Anybody else see this as a bit off? Assassin's Creed was a bit hard for me to gear up to want to play but I loved it once I got past the whole memory and forgetting shit thing. It feels weird to see this accusation like it is almost a scam or simply unnecessary on Ubisoft's part.

It would be like somebody giving you super awesome cookies and then demanding that you give them an awesome review. From what I have seen of the game and following the developer diaries like a filthy stalker, I'm seeing the hallmarks of a fucking awesome game. They have to know they are making an awesome game, so why make a backroom deal?

So either Ubisoft is creating a huge viral scam out of all the production material to advertise the game or the magazine is full of shit. Granted the truth will be obviously somewhere in between, I find this all very hard to swallow against Ubisoft...
 

CD-R

New member
Mar 1, 2009
1,355
0
0
Glefistus said:
thebobmaster said:
Glefistus said:
thebobmaster said:
BenzSmoke said:
If that's true then EA should be slapped.
If that isn't true then Computer Bild Spiele should be slapped.

I'd like to think EA wouldn't do something like this.
It's Ubisoft. Seriously, why is it that whenever a company does something underhanded that is not Activision, people assume it's EA?
Bad publishers deserve bad rep. Just my opinion though.
And EA has been trying to turn over a new leaf for the past few years, ever since they got a new CEO (I think Riccitello is new, anyways). I mean, they apologized for what they did to Westwood, admitted they screwed that up, started publishing original games (not that it's done them any good, since game fans are a fickle bunch that seem to demand creativity, but ignore original games because "It's not done right") and overall, have done a lot to try to improve their image, knowing that they were considered to be the worst of the worst in publishing. But that's just my opinion. I apologize for the rant. It wasn't aimed at you specifically, I just needed to get out the frustration I feel towards people who treat EA like they are still the studio-wrecking, Madden-and-nothing-else game company they were several years ago.

I realize EA is working to improve their image, but then I remember DRM and all the old feelings come back.
Dragon Age Origins didn't have any DRM or online activation when it came out. Plus you got free downloadable content if you bought it new. So I think they've learned thier lesson at this point. They also saved Brutal Legend from development hell.