Ubisoft Adds Much Requested Customization to Assassin's Creed Unity

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Ubisoft Adds Much Requested Customization to Assassin's Creed Unity

<youtube=vQEocdLSgZ8>​
The latest Assassin's Creed Unity trailer from Ubisoft explains how players can choose different weapons and armor to suit their playing preferences.

Assassin's Creed fans have been asking for customization features more than anything else, creative director Alex Amancio at Ubisoft says in the latest trailer for Assassin's Creed Unity. Ubisoft is now ready to show players what kind of customization they can expect to see in Unity.

This customization isn't like full customization in RPGs that allow players to select gender, hair, build, or background. The protagonist of Assassin's Creed Unity is Arno, and other than what equipment the player chooses, cosmetically he is not customizable. This customization is specifically for encouraging players to tackle objectives and combat in the method they prefer. Lower profile hoods allow assassins to better blend in with the crowd and use the eagle sense from farther away. Assassins can be pure stealth or be aggressively melee. Players who prefer parkour and taking out targets from above may be better suited to ranged weapons and more mobility. Players who end up blocking and countering often would benefit from higher health. Stronger armor helps to withstand attacks, but assassins move slower with clunky gear. The same goes for weapons; some swords are better suited for countering while others focus on heavy damage.

Customization complements the co-op play. Co-op missions, based on events during the French Revolution, allow two to four players at a time to take on missions and use special skills like group healing, communal sense, assassin cache, and disguise, along with preferred loadouts. A newly designed player rating system makes team members who will work well with you easier to find, Amancio noted. Ubisoft is designing these co-op missions with freedom in mind, Christophe Rossignol, associate level design director, writes in a devblog. [http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-175342-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32]

Assassin's Creed Unity launches November 11 for Xbox One, PS4, and PC.

Source: Ubisoft [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQEocdLSgZ8]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
What? Are they mad? All those animations!

Seriously, though, this is okay. Not spectacular, but...Kinda neat?

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
at 1:30 . you can take your obvious and assassin type hood, for another type of hood that is CLEARLY normal in public and will draw no attention towards you... yes, super stealthy. Next I'll put on a pair of glasses and absolutely no one will recognize me.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Not an answer to this particular news, but does anybody else find the new assassin outfits incredibly boring?
In the last games the outfits and gear always looked cool in some way, but the plain look of the new outfits does absolutly nothing for me.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
I said it before, but I'll say it again. How hard is it for a French-based games developer to get french voice-actors?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm skeptical about the skills, it feels as if they've taken the core skills you'd used in most of the games and just broken them down into pieces meaning you'd have only the choice of a few instead of just giving you the regular skill set and letting your actual skills be what makes the mission a success, it doesn't exactly sound enticing.

Dig the colour schemes though but I don't exactly see any of the clothing changes as being any more stealthy, Creed kinda sailed that boat long ago.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dinosorcerer said:
I said it before, but I'll say it again. How hard is it for a French-based games developer to get french voice-actors?
They do have them; it's probably that they think that if they weren't speaking English that it'd somehow alienate the audience at larger.

The new parkour system does look cool, and perhaps they've finally made the combat difficult somehow. I think I will get my fill of challenge by solo-ing those co-op missions though.

That is, if I buy the game. I only trust CDProjektRed with a pre-order.

BakaSmurf

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2008
Amaror said:
Not an answer to this particular news, but does anybody else find the new assassin outfits incredibly boring?
In the last games the outfits and gear always looked cool in some way, but the plain look of the new outfits does absolutly nothing for me.
I think it has something to do with Ubi trying to tone down the Assassin outfits in response to the complaints about the I, II, & III outfits being unrealistically flashy for a "stealthy" Assassin (said people also tend to completely miss that the Assassins tend to be anything -but- stealthy with good reason, you can't send a message about your strength and ability unless your targets know full damn well that your organization is capable of brute forcing their way through your men with a handful of guys at most), however I agree with you, Aveline, Edward, & Adéwalé's outfits were all pretty heavily on the plain side, but at least we`ll be able to customize Arno and maybe give him a striking look on our own this time around.

Dinosorcerer

Sep 5, 2013
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Dinosorcerer said:
They do have them; it's probably that they think that if they weren't speaking English that it'd somehow alienate the audience at larger.

The new parkour system does look cool, and perhaps they've finally made the combat difficult somehow. I think I will get my fill of challenge by solo-ing those co-op missions though.

Yeah, but can't they get people to at least speak them in a french accent? because it's just going to be various British voice-actors butchering the pronunciation of just everything. if you need proof, just look to the point in the video where this guy is calling out Robespierre. It's going to be cringe-worthy for me at least.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Dinosorcerer said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Dinosorcerer said:

Yeah, but can't they get people to at least speak them in a french accent? because it's just going to be various British voice-actors butchering the pronunciation of just everything. if you need proof, just look to the point in the video where this guy is calling out Robespierre. It's going to be cringe-worthy for me at least.
I know it's not exactly stellar; I study French at the moment, but you have to realise one thing.

Publishers are investors. They look at numbers provided by analysts, and very rarely do they consider the input of the developers in boardroom meetings(or they did once, but Differential Association means the devs don't care anymore). They see that NA as a massive market, and as such, they want to make their product as accessible to them as possible, ergo they will market british voice actors because the collective consciousness perceives aristocracy as being inherently british(blame Julius Caesar and Cleopatra for having Romans speaking in Queen's English instead of Italian accent).

I have no doubt that there will be an option to make it french, and knowing Ubi, they would provide the option for fr+eng subtitles, but as far as marketing is concerned, English is the way as far as they see it.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I'm skeptical about the skills, it feels as if they've taken the core skills you'd used in most of the games and just broken them down into pieces meaning you'd have only the choice of a few instead of just giving you the regular skill set and letting your actual skills be what makes the mission a success, it doesn't exactly sound enticing.

Dig the colour schemes though but I don't exactly see any of the clothing changes as being any more stealthy, Creed kinda sailed that boat long ago.
Whether separating out skills and forcing choice is a bad thing depends on how well the rest of the game is built around it. If you have all skills always and some are better for certain situations, you'll always use the one best for that situation. If you have to choose specific tools ahead of time, you have to figure out a way to solve the problem using only what you have with you.

Think of it like a toolbox: You definitely can build your project if you have access to everything, but it might be more interesting to build it if you only have three screws and a hacksaw.

Klagermeister

Jun 13, 2008
>inb4 people say "But why can't I be a womaaaan ;_;"

This excites me though. Clothes that have a benefit outside pure cosmetics? Hell yeah. It makes perfect sense and it's a good idea.

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
Another half-assed attempt from Ubi to please the fans but totally missing the point. So I guess let me just throw out my thoughts:

If you're going to make an online playable co-op experience (or competitive) we should be able to play as anyone we want. MAle, female, black, white, asian, purple, etc. Saints Row managed that with no problem. Skyrim. Fallout, etc.

If you just want one playable character and he/she is the main character and the point is to tell a story and nothing more... that's single player. Make it a single player game. Simple as that.

Don't really even care at this point though. Aside from the Trials games, I'm done with Ubi. (for unrelated crap they've done recently).

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
Dinosorcerer said:
Technically, Unity is being developed by Ubisoft Montreal, which is in Canada, and Canadian french speakers sound a lot different than French people, so, not really, it would end up sounding far less than authentic either way.

And yes, I know Ubisoft itself is french, but Ubisoft is a publisher, the games are made by the studios under them.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
Wow using a system that is quite dated for skills. Color me impressed with the "innovation and customization". A better system would be all skills at the same baseline that improve as you use them with outfits designed for specific skillsets like they did the skills. Cloak/hood provides 1 skill bonus, pants/shirt another, and gloves/boots a third. They can be designed with the skill in mind like stealth would be something like the commoners wear so you can blend into the crowds and disappear and parkour could be a hood without a cloak so it wont get caught on something or light and supple boots. but keep them in similar color schemes so they can be mixed and matched.

That would allow a natural skill improvement over the course of the game where the skills you use the most get higher leveled and skills you use the least stay low but can be offset with gear. It also provides a challenge when the best skills to complete a mission happen to be the ones you hardly leveled making you improvise to mix your preferred skills with the less preferred.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
sounds all very good. still like to know though if its not only coop focused. maybe i missed this info but can i do all of them in SP as well?

pluizig

Jan 11, 2010
Hey, here's an idea. If you want to blend into the public, maybe keep your hood DOWN instead? A different pattern or less angular is not 'lower profile'. Black flag did this, why the step backwards?

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
The title made me think you might be able to play female in co-op. The news story itself made it clear that you still can't. I am now disappointed...

Still, customisation options are nice, but, then again, the Assassins Creed series has always been about having more options than you know what to do with.