Ubisoft Boss Calls New Nintendo Console "Fantastic"

nebtheslayer95

Nov 22, 2009
honestly there is no point in arguing whether or not it will be a good console. if its made by nintedo, people will buy it. as we can see with the wii, it doesnt have to be a good system to sell well. many of us here may not buy it, but millions will.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
manythings said:
Next gen console money though? I'm willing to bet they'll start off at around $500, probably more. Hell the PS3 was like (not really) $1,000 on release.
First off, *I* could afford a $1000 console right now. Most of my friends could easily afford a $500 console if they really wanted it, which is who you're selling to on launch day. $500 is less than the TV that most people will be playing the console on.

Second, you can buy a new 360 for $200 right now. And Microsoft makes money off of each one they sell. As old as the 360 and the PS3 are, the cost of putting in a more powerful CPU/GPU and more RAM would be minimal.

Keep in mind that "significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3" means something on the order of 512MB of RAM, an intel core 2, and a two generation old graphics card.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
No doubt Sony and Microsoft's next consoles will be huge steps ahead that will put the Wii successor behind. But both (especially Sony) declared their boxes had all they needed to last. I'd be pissed if they 180'd because they got spooked....again.

IMHO, This is less of a new console cycle than Nintendo backtracking their entry into this generation's "Round 2" which had PS3 and 360 leveling the playing field with motion control solutions. Nintendo tried to hold their own with Motion Plus; but between not giving developers time to work with it, pressing them to use it, and a general thinning of great titles coming around, the M+ was a non-starter (at least compared to the shot in the arm Wii needed) with their rivals closing the gap.

HOPEFULLY, Nintendo's new system will find a more solid place with better 3rd party & online support, since Iwata himself admitted their tight-fisted approach to the market's evolutions were a hindrance.

[EDIT]
On second thought, maybe Nintendo is looking down the road and are trying to cut this generation short. Still, it'd be weird if Sony and Microsoft pushed their next systems ahead of schedule to keep in step with Nintendo...again. Especially Microsoft, who raced to market a year early and paid for it.

Puzzlenaut

Mar 11, 2011
At the end of the day it all comes down to price --

Previous gen, the PS2 was the out-right winner because it was the cheapest, whilst the most expensive, the Xbox, was alienated from the market by its high price tag. This generation the wii has pwned all because of its comparatively extremely low price, whilst the PS3 got beaten down in terms of sales because of its sky-high price tag.

The long and short of it:
If Cafe is cheap, it will do really well. If Nintendo decide its their turn to make the beefy expensive console, it will tank.

Pure and simple.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
manythings said:
Next gen console money though? I'm willing to bet they'll start off at around $500, probably more. Hell the PS3 was like (not really) $1,000 on release.
First off, *I* could afford a $1000 console right now. Most of my friends could easily afford a $500 console if they really wanted it, which is who you're selling to on launch day. $500 is less than the TV that most people will be playing the console on.

Second, you can buy a new 360 for $200 right now. And Microsoft makes money off of each one they sell. As old as the 360 and the PS3 are, the cost of putting in a more powerful CPU/GPU and more RAM would be minimal.

Keep in mind that "significantly more powerful than the 360 and PS3" means something on the order of 512MB of RAM, an intel core 2, and a two generation old graphics card.
You are currently employed and have money. In a world of six billion people you're in what's called an extreme minority. When you're response isn't "I can afford it so most people must be exactly like me" I'll care what you have to say.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I can see what's going to happen - Project Cafe would be significantly more powerful than the PS3 and XBox360, but its capabilities will not be fully realized because multiplatform games will require to run on all platforms. We'll have Nintendo fans screaming that the (other) consoles are holding them back. ;)

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
manythings said:
You are currently employed and have money. In a world of six billion people you're in what's called an extreme minority. When you're response isn't "I can afford it so most people must be exactly like me" I'll care what you have to say.
Now you're just getting pointlessly belligerent. I'm sorry if you're unemployed or whatever, but there are plenty of $500 electronics still selling. Walk into Best Buy and look at all of the $2000+ TVs on the wall. You?re the one trying to project your situation onto a market that no data suggests is quite so depressed.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
manythings said:
Do they have launch titles for it? If they do then I have zero reason to treat this as anything other than marketting bullshit.

More importantly, how many people can realistically afford a new next-gen console?
Even if they have, it's prolly still marketing, most if not all oficcial messages are anyways. Also, will they just be porting this gen games to the cafe, cause if it can't port PS4/720 games it'll just be a "rematch" of this console gen port-wise.

As for the price, unless it tries to one-up the PS3 on it's initial price, i don't think thats gonna be a problem.
At least not for the adult demographic with jobs, who are not on a limited income due to beeing in school, I don't know a lot of people who couldn't come up with the money for a new console if they wanted one, as long as the price is around what we're used to from new consoles.
As for the kids, they'll just have to bug their parents to give them one :p

greasedweasel

Jul 28, 2009
I have a feeling publishers are going to release a load of 360/PS3 ports to test the waters before they bother investing any real development money and time in making new games for Cafe. Much like the slew of lazy PS2 ports that came out in the early days of the Wii.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Give me HD Metroid. Prime style not other M.

I hear a lot of people saying.

1. This will be on par with ps3/360, those is old, lol
2. Its going to be too expensive and the wii's price point was its strength.

If nintendo is using 5 years lod tech to reach slightly above where ps3/360 are now then they could probably do it pretty cheeply still, yes?

In all honesty both systems have some insanly good looking games and thats all thats all the power it needs.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
manythings said:
Now you're just getting pointlessly belligerent. I'm sorry if you're unemployed or whatever, but there are plenty of $500 electronics still selling. Walk into Best Buy and look at all of the $2000+ TVs on the wall. You?re the one trying to project your situation onto a market that no data suggests is quite so depressed.
Entire nations going bankrupt? Trillions of dollars in global debt? Layoffs far exceeding available jobs? Yes, there's a fair bit of evidence that there is a depressed economy.

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
This will be significantly more powerful and have a similar architecture to the 360 (as a 360 has a similar architecture to the PC)it will have higher specs and probably be at least for 2 years where the best looking multiplatform games will be. I think the magic price point for this would be $350-$400 that would allow a decent all around upgrade but not so much that it alienates people with the price.

Now when the next gen consoles come up it will only be a marginal step up from this and by then this system would be able to do a price cut so you get the 400-600 Ps4 xbox 720 vs the 300 project cafe that will still be close to as powerful and get all the major games still because of similar architecture. Which one would you buy?

Also on a side note dedicated gaming hardware with no OS in the way always can squeeze way more power out of even inferior hardware so even if your PC is theoretically 10x more powerful the games will still look pretty much the same if not better on the console

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
I could have lived with the Wii's disappointing graphical ability if they'd just had a half decent game library. I mean come on, I have no objection to light hearted games but when that's ALL YOU HAVE, and when the only 7 or so action games you have are either being so with a sense of self parody or just plain suck. I'm not a 'hardcore game douchebag' by any means but they could have at least had ONE decent action title that wasn't No More Heroes, or trying to copy No More Heroes.

That said if the new console is going to be attracting serious AAA developers like Ubisoft I am interested.

Side Note: Is that a screen shot from AC: Revelations? Lookin' good.

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Droppa Deuce said:
I don't think Nintendo can risk messing this chance up. They've always been one step behind in regards to tech. When the PS2 and Dreamcast were kicking ass with high storage and sweet graphics (for their time) using discs, the N64 was still using cartridges (but still the games were sweet, just sweet and ugly/clunky looking).
N64 was the same gen as PS1 and Dreamcast. Look at the graphics and the N64 was on par with the PS1. Dreamcast was ahead of its time. Gamecube was the one that came out with the PS2. It is also said that the PS2 could have been Sony's last console if sega had started making more Dreamcasts since the PS2 was sold out everywhere but they didn't want to take that risk. So what if Nintendo is behind in terms of graphics. Graphics have never really meant much in terms of game play as seen in the latest Extra Credits.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
The question is how wide will the graphical gap be when Microsoft and Sony release new consoles? I highly doubt we'll get another Wii-360-PS3 graphical difference. There is a graphics "ceiling" in relation to how good games will have to look in order to get people on board with the console.

Also does this mean that the next Nintendo console will be seeing a true to form Assassin's Creed game?

And like the poster above me said, Extra Credits goes over "Graphics Vs. Aesthetics" really well. I recommend anyone who wants to complain about how Nintendo will be "behind" graphically once the new consoles hit from the other two should watch that video.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
I just wanna know ... will ID make RAGE for project cafe right now the best option for me is the ps3 and sony's been pricks. Id get it for the 360 but RAGE is a bit much for that console.