Ubisoft CEO Says Company Will Work to Extend Diversity

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Tolkienfanatic said:
Aside from a small number of Sarkeesian-bots shrieking about this at the top of their interweb-lungs, does anyone actually care?
Nope. Only a very small number of people are interested in seeing a lead character that isn't a grizzled white dude. Only nutjobs could possibly think that having a woman as a lead character is a good idea, and the mere suggestion that Ubisoft should find room somewhere in their stable of AAA titles to maybe have one led by somebody of a different gender or ethnicity is absolutely ludicrous.

White men all the time: The gender and race of the lead characters doesn't matter, so they should all be the same.

superguin200

Mar 13, 2012
I wish everyone would just calm down about this. Of course it would take up too many resources to add a female character to the engine they've created simply for the purpose of a minor cosmetic difference in multiplayer. Whatever the Ubisoft guy said that made people get angry at him, he was in an interview and being pressured for an answer. Sometimes people say stupid things in those situations.
I agree that a female assassin would better fit the setting, but like it or not, it's the developers' story we're playing here, and they've decided to have a male assassin as the main character.

Burchy22

Oct 1, 2012
Me55enger said:
Wow, suddenly we have to list age and ethnicity as well as gender? One poorly led bandwagon at a time, critics.

I think the next problem these movements will find is trying to find the balance between lynching writers and game developers for sex/race/age-ism and actually letting them tell a story.

Of course first we have to deal with the current problem, hopefully with less shoe-horned passive-aggressive warmongering than this post.
Not really, the thing with people who have defended Ubisoft and their bland characters is that they seem to be under the impression that the people criticizing them are trying to restrict the games writing and story. When, its not, its just wanting to basically have a more identifiable cast.

Just think of any game at all that involves multi-playable characters and think which one is your favorite and the reason will be because that character is different from the others.
Imagine the next fighting game like Tekken came out and had 15 fighters to pick from and they all looked like Jin Kazama with slight age differences and fighting style. How damn boring would that be?

Sep 24, 2008
This is exactly the opposite of what I wanted.

This is the pandering. This is saying people are bored with Classic Coke, make New Coke that is horrible, so people are thrilled when they return to classic coke.

Points of fact.

a.) bringing in four white dudes is actually SHOWING diversity. The main leads of the Assassin's Creed games involved a middle eastern man, a Italian man, A mix of Native American and British man, a Black creole woman, and whatever the Black Flag guy was.. I think he was just white. I personally have no problem having focus on the leads of this game be four white guys. And yes, I'm speaking as a black man. AC did enough for diversity.

The problem I had is with the reason. How much money and how many teams were put on this? You're telling me it would take too much time to model one woman? And even if it took another month... What of it? It's Assassin's Creed. It's not like people wouldn't buy it no matter when you put it out.

b.) Like my New Coke reference, this is fraught with problems. If the story is boring, if any part of the next game that *huge intake of breath* has an Asian Woman Pirate who left her Governor father's home when she found out that she was secretly the love child of a British father who threw her out when she admitted her bisexuality *phew* is boring... all these angry mobs will blame the fact that Ubisoft let the gameplay/story/setting/new innovations suffer in efforts to pander to the PC bleeding hearts.

Ubisoft has no idea how to market or damage control. It's best to acknowledge that the story they wanted to run with were these people who wanted their revolution and leave it at that.

Now. They dug themselves in deeper. With those in the Diversity Camp ready to rip the new game apart for how good it is and how lacking it is, ready to compare the next game after that one to how much it lacks compared to Unity and the new game fails to live up to their own expectations. And then those in the 'STOP TALKING ABOUT PC' camp ready to tear the game after Unity apart for any flaw, lifting it up and yelling "YOU SEE?!?! YOU SEE?!?! THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU TRY TO SHOEHORN IN DIVERSITY. THIS TINY SECTION SUCKS BECAUSE THEY HAD TO FOCUS ON MAKING A WOMAN CHARACTER WHEN THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO!!!"

DrunkenElfMage

Aug 17, 2011
This response was probably the best they could do. The game is already eighty percent finished, it would take way to much time and effort at this point to change it and not have to change all the promotional material that they planned to release the next coming months. That shit cost them millions of dollars to produce and changing it now would be unfeasable.

I am dissapointed that they had to do this in the first place. The decision to drop female characters from the game probably didn't even come from the designers, most likely the suits crunching numbers and trying to cut cost wherever they could. The people who work on these games are just as nerdy as anyone on these forums; they know that gender inclusion in videogames is a hot topic right now and that cutting women would likely cause fallout.

It had to have been someone not in touch with any video game forums, who didn't visit Editorial style news sites like the Escapist or Polygon, and who had never even heard about a little place called Tumblr who made the decision to cut women from the game.

So I can forgive Ubisoft for making the mistake in the first place. I'm not angry, I'm just really disappointed in them

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This does sound like a massive PR response to the criticism they've gotten as of late with some of the statements some of the employees have made.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
If it's so difficult to please everybody with that character, then why do you keep making the same one over and over again?
ObsidianJones said:
a.) bringing in four white dudes is actually SHOWING diversity. The main leads of the Assassin's Creed games involved a middle eastern man, a Italian man, A mix of Native American and British man, a Black creole woman, and whatever the Black Flag guy was.. I think he was just white. I personally have no problem having focus on the leads of this game be four white guys. And yes, I'm speaking as a black man. AC did enough for diversity.
Altair is a white dude with a middle eastern name. that's not the same thing as a middle eastern dude. Italian is white, don't kid yourself. Connor was indeed native, but his game sucked and he was just pissed off all the time for no reason. good idea, but try again. Liberation might as well not have happened for all the impact it had. If they wanted to make a statement there, they should've released it as a AAA title, not on the vita. Kenway is welsh and whiter than snow. So, no. adding 4 white dudes is not showing diversity. besides, it's not just about assassin's creed, it's about gaming as a whole. If some filmmaker goes 'hey, I'm gonna make a movie about vampires in high school who aren't evil but really kinda sensitive', you'd be totally right to call them out on it, doesn't matter if THEY hadn't done it before.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
roseofbattle said:
Ubisoft's most recent game released is Watch Dogs, which features a 39-year-old white man motivated by the death of his niece. Beyond the lack of playable female characters, "fridging." [http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/05/in-watch-dogs-women-are-victims-and-plot-points.html]
Oh what the hell!?! How about a damn spoiler warning or a spoiler tag?!? Some of us did not have the money to get the game release day!! I did not click the link but now I am going to spend the rest of the next act wondering who the hell is getting killed next!

Rutskarn

Feb 20, 2010
Angantyr said:
Am I the only one who thinks this is blown out of proportions?
I can certainly see how you'd get that impression. This isn't really a response to one incident (not the lack of inclusion of a woman in AC so much as their sort of dubious claim that it'd be too expensive) as it is a backlash against a consistent, irritating, unresponsive trend.

Their response "we'll be more inclusive" has less to do with "we didn't like how people were angry about this one thing" and more to do with "oh, apparently people have been angry about this for a while."

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
ultreos2 said:
My requests are reasonable not because I have a right to them being met, but because I am a customer.

Your requests are not reasonable, because you aren't customers, posting as customers that you feel more character diversity is in order. You are non customers, claiming you will continue to be non customers, until diversity is met.

And this is why you are met with distaste and being ignored.
You're just assuming they are not customers. I've been a customer of Ubisoft and Ass. Creed a long time, and I want this. Many other customers do too.

This is just more `You aren't really gamers` crap.

Yes, we are. Wanting diversity does not automatically make one not a gamer.

Sep 24, 2008
Floppertje said:
Altair is a white dude with a middle eastern name. that's not the same thing as a middle eastern dude. Italian is white, don't kid yourself. Connor was indeed native, but his game sucked and he was just pissed off all the time for no reason. good idea, but try again. Liberation might as well not have happened for all the impact it had. If they wanted to make a statement there, they should've released it as a AAA title, not on the vita. Kenway is welsh and whiter than snow. So, no. adding 4 white dudes is not showing diversity. besides, it's not just about assassin's creed, it's about gaming as a whole. If some filmmaker goes 'hey, I'm gonna make a movie about vampires in high school who aren't evil but really kinda sensitive', you'd be totally right to call them out on it, doesn't matter if THEY hadn't done it before.
Altair is half white. Only his mother. For Italians, I don't kid myself. I grew up with Italians. I know the mistake of calling them white. If they consider themselves different, then I consider them different. It's not up to me to decide. Your last two points basically were summed up to "Since I didn't like these two examples, they don't count." Even mixed characters show diversity and progress.

Diversity isn't just about race. It's also about Culture, religions. French, Vodun, Irish, Native American, Middle Eastern, Muslim, Christian, Protestant, Creole, Spiritualism... it's there. Whether you like the games or stories are a different thing. It does not negate that they did go literally all over the map in showing different walks of life.

Now, this all doesn't change my opinion that these Unity characters seem boring to me. But I also get it. I played literally one month worth of left4dead 1 and 2. 723 hours. I can easily tell you that a good deal of those matches, there was always one whiny person who tried to get someone who was playing to quit so they could be Francis, or be angry that they had to be Coach. Having Unity's characters more or less the same can possibly create less bitching

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
ObsidianJones said:
Floppertje said:
Altair is half white. Only his mother. For Italians, I don't kid myself. I grew up with Italians. I know the mistake of calling them white. If they consider themselves different, then I consider them different. It's not up to me to decide. Your last two points basically were summed up to "Since I didn't like these two examples, they don't count." Even mixed characters show diversity and progress.

Diversity isn't just about race. It's also about Culture, religions. French, Vodun, Irish, Native American, Middle Eastern, Muslim, Christian, Protestant, Creole, Spiritualism... it's there. Whether you like the games or stories are a different thing. It does not negate that they did go literally all over the map in showing different walks of life.

Now, this all doesn't change my opinion that these Unity characters seem boring to me. But I also get it. I played literally one month worth of left4dead 1 and 2. 723 hours. I can easily tell you that a good deal of those matches, there was always one whiny person who tried to get someone who was playing to quit so they could be Francis, or be angry that they had to be Coach. Having Unity's characters more or less the same can possibly create less bitching
white is kind of a broad prhase and it's natural for people to want to differentiate themselves and their immediate surroundings from a larger whole. So when Italians say they don't identify with the larger 'white' culture, I'm not surprised. I'm also not judging them or anything like that, I can totally get behind looking at a group that you're supposedly part of and saying 'yeah, screw those guys'. Nothing wrong with that. You're also right about the cultures. However... there are certain groups and cultures that are less controversial to have as main characters than others, and Italians can say they're 'not white' as much as they want, but they're not controversial at all. Hell, the entire US political system is based on the Italians.
As for the other two, you're right. Me not liking the games doesn't negate the effort. Connor deserved a better game (and a better personality). It was a good effort. Liberty wasn't. you can't go 'we're all about diversity' and then release the only game with a female protagonist on it on the vita when you're established as a AAA franchise. that's not making an effort.

I get what you're saying about L4D, but if that's the reaction you see, the solution isn't to give in and make everyone a 30 something white dude. The solution is to not give in to bigots and keep going until people stop making a fuss about it.

PhantomEcho

Nov 25, 2011
Oh, thank shit this whole debacle is finally over. Now that Ubisoft has admitted it clearly hasn't done enough to promote diversity by letting you play as pretty much every race of man (and as an afterthought, tested the waters by even making a mobile-game featuring a black woman), they're going to work harder to pander to your extremist 'political-correctness' by... half-assing everything because they know you psychopaths can't ever possibly be satisfied.

Why is it that every smart-ass who comes in here saying 'they have HOW MUCH MONEY? They can't afford to make women' has absolutely no fucking idea how the game development process works? Yeah. They really CAN'T afford to invest time and manpower into designing female characters for a -secondary feature- of a TACKED-ON game mode, in a game being shoveled out the door LITERALLY as fast as Ubisoft can force the team to shovel it that doesn't contribute anything meaningful to the game beyond failing to appease the squealing throngs of 'sexist bastard Ubisoft' naysayers.

You folks don't even bother paying attention to REASON anymore. You latch onto the 'media nipple' and suck all the bullshit stories like this dry, coming away with froth spewing out of your mouths and impotent rage built up in your minds over shadows of doubt and stolen snippets of conversation twisted and cut to suit your message.

Sexism and unrepresentative characters are alive and well in the video-game industry, but instead of taking it to task with well-formed opinions and knowledgeable critiques of those who perpetuate the cycle... instead of having the meaningful conversations we OUGHT to be having with developers and artists and publishers... the idiot masses always come out in full force to rabidly rally against anyone and anything that dares to have a different viewpoint than their own. Of course, if you -do- have the audacity to challenge them with reasonable arguments like:

'It's not a game with multiple customizable characters, every player is the MAIN guy but you get to slightly modify and edit the appearance of that guy for the benefit of your co-op partner not seeing a thousand copies of the main character running around'

or

'Creating a female character is more than slapping a female body onto the new rig. It requires concept art to be drawn up, followed by preliminary modeling, followed by hours upon hours of testing to make sure that the model works with the animations, followed by arguing with artists and programmers who are being called in at all hours of the day and the weekends they're supposed to have off as 'crunch time', followed by the realization that this is a third-person action game and now the female model clips with all of the NPCs during execution moves, followed by another month of building up new animations (possibly with motion-capture, which is expensive and takes quite a bit of time), all of which has to be done in a very specific order because you can't move on to the next stage of progress before the previous is completed. All for what? So that a character YOU will personally never see can look like a woman to some OTHER PERSON playing the game? Not at all worth the effort.'

It gets immediately overlooked or ignored, or dismissed off-hand by some jackass who thinks he knows everything about everything because he played around in photoshop once and now he's a big badass artist or something? If you don't work in the industry, or aren't willing to listen to anyone who DOES when they give you a lesson in how unreasonable an expectation it is for them to even attempt a female character at this point... just shut the hell up and vote with your money.

As it stands, this isn't a war for freedom to play as who you want to play in video games, and the people RESPONSIBLE for this movement know it. This whole controversy... and the hundreds of others like it popping up across the industry... are calculated attempts to generate controversy where there is none for the sake of manufacturing a discussion about sexism. But that manufactured discussion is meaningless, because it's based on bullshit and lies. It's based on fear and manipulation, a blatant attempt to EXTORT game developers into a 'do what I want or I declare you sexist/racist/homophobic and destroy you on Facebook and Twitter' situation.

That's not freedom. That's fascism, that's dictating what a developer can and cannot say or do or believe, and it's the exact OPPOSITE of what we want.

The people continuing this sexism/discrimination witch-hunt by mindlessly attacking anyone and everyone without consideration of the situation and motivation behind any given action are directly -UNDERMINING- the cause of fair representation of the genders in gaming. They drown out the perfectly reasonable folks just looking for a fair shake (or looking to support friends and family who want to play as girls, or hell... maybe even a gay girl, if you know any) in a sea of insatiable bloodlust. They stop listening, because the frothing-at-the-mouth psychos obviously AREN'T the majority. If they were, these companies would be losing a LOT more money.

So what do they do? They make a token effort, roll their eyes when the internet says 'not good enough', and kindly stop giving a damn. That's what this is accomplishing. That's what the fear-mongering rabid movement against all things sexist is leading towards. Not better, more inclusive games... but more half-assed pandering followed by dismissal.

Have fun with that. I don't have a dog in this fight, since I'm a straight 30-something white guy with brown hair and a glorious braided beard. I'm represented quite well. Mostly by Nords in 'The Elder Scrolls' games, though.

I just like the idea of better written, higher-quality characters with more varied physical attributes is all. I believe that diversity will make gaming better... and that all of you here screaming and raging over nothing are killing that vision.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Please this is just the CEO saying what people want to hear, as was proposed to him by the PR department. They want to make good games I believe that. But they want to do that because of the sales, not because they'd care about us.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I think this is a good mindset. I'd like to see what else Ubisoft would offer since they were willing to publish 'Beyond Good and Evil' and 'Child of Light'.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
DaWaffledude said:
They just want everyone to shut up. Nothing will come from this, I guarantee it.
This.

Besides, if they really cared about diversity they'd been doing it already.